1.1 – Mehlnalk Valley
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Melkna’s court was in an uproar. Each of the Melknites present were getting ready to leave. It was already late; this summer day was going to give us a few more hours of light. Answering every salute made my progress towards Miadiel and Rohb slower than I wanted. After a few more minutes, I entered the stables; except for the groom, there was no one else. Only horses’ neighs disturbed the silence. I advanced slowly, enjoying the freshness. As I approached, their faint voices reached my ears. Interested in what they talked about without me around, I stopped behind a wall.

“Did you take easy things to eat?” Miadiel asked. “We will only stop to sleep.”

I couldn’t see them, but the little laugh she gave was enough to understand.

“Where are we going?”

“Eternal.” She answered. “Do you think you are ready?”

“Of course, Lad… Miadiel. We are only going to see the Aiethels, right?” He asked, half curious, half worried.

“Not this time. You will have to tell what you saw and felt to Finran’Dir.”

Through the wall, I saw his aura disappear. It was like life had almost left him. I understood him, between crossing the lazy drunkard and fighting a Malt, the last option would be the one I chose without a doubt. This man was still alive after fighting Malts and who knows what others abomination. He was closer to the dead than to the living.

“Don’t worry.” Miadiel said.

He didn’t calm down.

“He is not as horrible as ‘Lyan wants you to think.”

“Trust her. Everyone who met him came back alive… I think?” I said, coming out of my hiding.

“Stop frightening him.”

“I am proud of him.” I teased her.

“You are more than happy to send someone else in your place.” She answered, amused.

In an instant, the tense atmosphere was no more. Rhob smiled as he finished tying up his bags.

“Afraid?” I asked Rhob.

“Not anymore. I realized that I will ride next to the greatest Elf and a Living Legend. What could happen?”

“No news from Sahar?” Miadiel asked abruptly.

“Nothing…” I answered annoyed.

They both got onto their horses, ready to leave.

“Don’t die, Commander. You are the one who will welcome me into the Order!” Rhob said.

“I will if I survive.”

I couldn’t lie to him. This journey may be the last one.

“We are leaving.” Miadiel said, extending her arm towards me. “If we don’t see each other again…”

“It was a pleasure, my dear.” I answered, grabbing her hand.

“As always!” She finished before leaving.

On his horse, Rhob saluted me as a Melknite would do before setting off on his final journey. Something that an apprentice had no right to do, usually. I guess he was not one anymore… I replied to him with the same one I always address to my lieutenants. I hated to admit it, but if we failed, Finran’Dir was our only solid backup plan. With a smile, he followed her, the hooves of his horse covering my farewell. Staying hidden in the shadow, I watched them leave until they reached the Citadel’s Door.

 

As I walked towards the main courtyard, everyone kept on saluting me with a huge smile while preparing for their departure tomorrow. The sun was long gone, the sky was still clear. It would give everyone even more time to prepare.

“Mherlk!” I called, unable to find him.

“Commander?”

A voice answered behind me.

“Where are we at?”

“Everyone will leave tomorrow, nine of the Eleven will come. Only Theresa will stay here.” He answered. “Sahar is still missing… yet, I would not worry.”

“I am not worried about him. Idiots are the hardest to kill.”

He nodded.

“You still wish to leave tonight?”

“Can we leave now?” I asked, tired.

“We can. I got us enough food to last until the Third Kingdom!”

I smiled. He had been my apprentice, now he was following me. He could lead his own group but had decided to keep on following me.

“Ready to go?”

“Life would be boring otherwise.”

“This time, we may not come back.” I warned him.

He shrugged his shoulders, not the least bit worried.

“Then we leave.” I answered before grabbing my horse’s reins.

I took the lead. Several knights shouted encouragement while we crossed the Citadel at a slow pace. This demonstration had a meaning. I was not leaving before everyone just because riding in a group was tiring. It showed them that even though I was their commander, their lives were as valuable as mine. For this mission, everyone was following me, knowing that it may be the end and that many of us may die. Malts were not a threat that should be taken lightly, and only those ready to come should.

“Good hunt.” Theresa said, worried.

I thanked her before crossing the bridge and heading to the northern plateau.

 

I raised my hand to let Mherlk know we were going to stop here. He was used to it. He got off his horse and held mine, making it easier for me. I walked towards the edge of the precipice. From here, we could see the whole valley of Mehlnalk. Leaning against the smallest peak, Melkna’s lights could be seen.

“The village is celebrating something.” Mherlk said.

Indeed. There were lights everywhere, from the central place to the main road.

“Theresa seemed worried.” He said interrupting my contemplation.

“She was because she knows.”

“You were there too; don’t you fear them?”

“I do. Now think about it. What would happen if I didn’t do anything?”

He didn’t answer, knowing very well where the discussion was going. Tomorrow, the citadel would be empty except for Theresa and a few young soldiers. A hundred knights were going to gather at the same place. It had not happened for decades, and the outcome would either be us in the same situation that we are today or in a catastrophic state… Those thoughts shivered me.

“It’s eating you up, ‘Lyan. You must let it go.”

“Indeed, it is… but I can’t let it go now. You know it. In a few days, we will be celebrating our victory.”

“Don’t worry, My Lady, I’ll protect you with my life.” He joked, making an awkward bow.

“No, you won’t.” I answered seriously. “Don’t think I don’t see what you do while I am gone. You have a future, one where you lead and go much further than me. This won’t happen if you die to save a worthless old woman.”

He didn’t have anything to prove for a long time as a warrior. And as a leader, he had seen me doing it since he was a child. He was now a young man; his talent shouldn’t be wasted.

“I know.” He answered defeated.

“Let’s go. We will camp once we are at the entry of the White Plains.”

 

“Save us!”

A man screamed before falling into the dirt. Behind him, a Bhor’ appeared. Looking at us, he put his sharp foot on the man’s head, making it explode. His eyes, still open, kept staring at me. Without a word, Mherlk got off his horse and, with his bare hands, intercepted the creature before it reached me. All around us, chaos reigned. People fled to the forest, leaving their belongings on the road to save their lives. Further, what seemed to be a small group of soldiers was facing a large group of Bhor’. At least that was what I thought until I saw women fighting alongside the soldiers for their lives.

0