Hospitality
455 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidaki Yuki was clearly older than Uncle but not as much as Lady Megumi or even Lord Funato. He fell in that anxious spot where old age begun to creep in his bones but not enough to hinder him so much that he’ll have to make consideration for it.

He had a charming smile and bowed like a man thrice younger than him. He was tall and did well to retain his physique as an active shinobi— that said, his activities these days were relegated to managing the hospitals and clinics under his clan’s charge rather than active missions.

His office was spacious in truth but was cluttered with shelves stacked to the brim with documents and boxes of tools I couldn’t recognize or understand, I supposed they were medical Ninjustsu instruments and kept them out of mind as he apologized for the mess.

“It’s quite alright, Yuki-dono, I understand more than you know.” I waved his concerns and he sheepishly offered Ao and I a place to sit. Ao remained standing.

“So, what do I owe this honour? Aside from the attacks of course.” He had a dark sense of humour. He sat at his desk with fingers criss-crossing over each other rather anxiously and I felt Yagura whisper that he already knew why I was here.

But of course, it’s not like I was hiding my intentions, though I suppose word getting out through the grapevine that I was searching for a place for the soon to be subjugated Kaguya to reside while I instruct a proper compound built would give him ample time to mull over his desires.

At the same time, I’ve had more than enough time to research and background each of the five clans for the most suited to the task of policing an entire other clan. The Yuki clan was not the best suited for such a task but given what the Hoshigaki are demanding, well, I’d better find out what he wants from the Mizukage.

“I’ll be straightforward since we’re both busy men. I want the Yuki clan to host the Kaguya remnants, no, not the ones imprisoned from the attack, the old, infantile and civilian left behind are the ones I wish to host.” I said plainly and watched his body from a reaction.

His criss-crossing fingers halted and his eye twitched a bit but nothing too significant. He sat back and thought, “Hmm…you are right to come to us for such, Mizukage-sama, we have ample room in our compound and frankly, we wouldn’t mind the company.”

This was true. I liked he was being honest as well. The Yuki clan has suffered the most out of the five. Their people were culled during the past Daimyo’s war against Kekkei Genkai, a war Kirigakure was a part of only on paper because the Mizukage refused to martial against the Daimyo or go fight a rather hypocritical war against Kekkei Genkai users.

Still, the Yuki would not see their people massacred and they went out to battle regardless of the Mizukage’s opinion and so, they die saving what few of the prosecuted they could. As far as Yagura knows, it is the Yuki that are responsible for saving the likes of the Terumi, the cost was great however and even now they suffer for it as the Third Shinobi war went on to half their numbers.

He leaned forward and sucked a breath, “Let me ask…is this an order from the Mizukage or a request?”

Uncle has done well to let me know that there are some toes I should be hesitant to step on, even as Mizukage, and it seemed this was one of those situations where I had the choice to flex that power for all it’s worth and get what I want or…be diplomatic.

“A humble request, you are not my first or only option.” I said, subtly letting him know I could easily figure something out if he spat out some insane demand.

He nodded and nodded, blinked and said, “Since you’ve been so transparent, allow me to do the same, Mizukage-sama.” I listened closely. “My clan has the space and in fact, if it’s possible we wouldn’t mind engaging some of these Kaguya civilians in marriage, the Yuki clan needs to bolster our numbers after all.”

His stress on the last part is where I keep note. “That’s gracious of you, considering…”

“Yes, considering they’re murderers and pillagers like the Hoshigaki, hahahaha. I understand the implications of allowing Yuki blood stain with such low landed clans. However, this is a clan that has the attention and compassion of the Mizukage himself, surely there’s something special there, something worthwhile.”

He allowed himself a devious smirk as my eyes narrowed, “Still, the stain remains and the Yuki, while in need of a population boost, will not risk our reputation on a clan that ought to be in the Caste District. So, we’ll need some incentive.”

I breathed and waited silently for him to give his demand.

“Yagura-sama, we want you to lead by example, to show all of Kiri that the Yuki has not lost its prestige to the waning days. That we are worth as much as any other of the five clans.”

Impatient, I asked, “You want to be on my council?”

He snorted, “No, I mean…yes, but not for this favour, no. By right we ought to be there anyway but I digress. What I want from you is a child, Yagura-sama.”

“A child?”

“Yes, we asked your Uncle for a match with you and our scion years ago but he refused. We asked the Hozuki, Funato and even the damned Hoshigaki and they all refused to set a match with us, one of the five clans!” He took a breath and calmed himself, “I’m sorry for the outburst but…realizing that the village your clan has served for decades would see you die out without raising a finger to do a thing is…infuriating. So yes, I want a child.”

His eyes were steely suddenly, nothing like the charm and grace that greeted me earlier, no. I understood where he was coming from though and I knew his demand wouldn’t be one I could try to bargain away with something else, I didn’t have much to give to begin with, at least, not anything they’d actually want.

“I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that.” I said, thinking about how I’d just left Rina, the girl the Hozuki keep throwing onto me. Uncle said a marriage with the Hozuki or Funato would be ideal but nothing about the Yuki. I could see why though, they hadn’t the numbers to support me in a case of civil war or an attempted coup and so a marriage alliance with them meant I’d be giving more than I’d receive.

I wasn’t intending to fall victim to a coup but with Kirigakure you never know. Plus, accepting a marriage alliance from them might scorn Lady Megumi and Lord Funato as both Hozuki and Funato blood ran through Rina’s veins. She’s truly a golden egg and yet…

“Don’t worry, I am well aware of the Hozuki’s intentions for their heir. Oh! Pardon me, Lord Yagura, I should have offered you some tea while we discussed.”

I scowled at this, “Enough, I haven’t accepted any proposals or given any. I’m not of the mind to wed or rear children.”

At this his eyes go wide, “Oh no, you mistake me, Lord Mizukage, we understand well that a marriage alliance with you would require much from our side, more than we could possibly offer at the moment. So all I am asking here is that you have a child with our scion and acknowledge it as yours…to be direct, let that child who we will raise, be the reason you favour the Yuki clan.”

My mouth hung ajar for a moment as I blinked at his brazenness, I’d need to talk to my Uncle about this as it was…quite unusual, but first, “And who do you have in mind to be the mother? Who is this scion of yours?”

Hidaki Yuki wore a pleasant, well-meaning smile as he sat back and said, “Why, the very Reina Yuki you’ve sent to the Kaguya of course.”


Special thanks to my patrons; noxodrac, Garrett, John, Berik, Asura and Someone for being a part of the library!
If you wish to support myself and the library, as well as read ahead click 
here

See ya next tomorrow! (fingers crossed)

17