Aimless Walk
362 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hisako Yuki didn’t trust me. Which was the worse decision she could make in her position. Yagura never had a delicate touch with matter like these and yet my stomach still squirmed at the sounds she made during Eiko’s sample session.

The reason it was a sample was because I thought Hisako, a Genin, wouldn’t be so stubborn as to resist a taste of Eiko’s enhanced interrogation techniques. I thought she wouldn’t be capable of it but I was wrong, she gritted through the Genjutsu stimulated agony, her body shaking like a fish out of water all while Eiko poked and stabbed her nails with a needle.

Even after that she still refused and as much as I hate to admit it, each refusal got me more frightened and on edge. And so Yagura decided to break her. There would be consequences; even with my gag order whoever was behind this would find out Hisako’s been discovered and even if they didn’t, the Yuki would come looking for one of their own.

I wasn’t sure which outcome I should be warier of, dealing with the impact of manhandling one of their own or the unknown reaction of whoever Hisako was taking her orders from.

Sick of hearing her scream, I gave Eiko permission to up the ante and began to walk back to the Tower. I felt I could trust Eiko enough to bring him on this, he was the kind of man that was loyal to his work, loved it as much as his own life. If there was a leak, it wouldn’t be from him.

I stepped out of Intel and Comm’s oppressive aura and breathed in the village wide mist congested air. The Mist was my most versatile tool in defending the village as Mizukage but it was also a tool of governance— I could make it rain with a single order.

It would freshen the air throughout the village and give the squads of shinobi responsible for enhancing the Land of Water’s natural fog a chance at reprieve. There were other advantages to releasing the mist temporarily but at the moment the greatest temptation was to see the sun without it’s veil of fog and cloud.

Another advantage was…I could order the squad of shinobi that have had decades of predecessors to learn and attune the Mist Village rite of passage justu to the point that it’s possible to drain moisture from the air rather than fill it with it.

This meant I could dry out specific sections of the village and prevent an enemy from utilizing our own defences against us. I could dry out the particularly dangerous Kekkei Genkai wielders capable of turning air moisture to ice.

There was no need for such a measure yet but having it reassured me. The Yuki clan were loyal to Kirigakure, perhaps not the Mizukage but Kirigakure was where their home lie, they wouldn’t jeopardize it, their clan head wouldn’t risk their future like that.

Right?

I acknowledged the multitudes halting their lives to greet me with curt nods and friendly waves but nothing more. I took in their faces, their hands and the shape of their homes built around and along naturally inclined hills and earthy growths.

As this was the Central District I had little doubt that these folk had no concern about Kekkei Genkai fiends, even the Yuki. I recognized the street path I strolled down from one of my maps and I knew that across it, to the west was where the Yuki and their compound sat. Their island within and island was surrounded yet isolated by the Funato and Hozuki who own most of the Central District.

I observed the faces of my people again, many didn’t recognize me immediately and some didn’t recognize me at all. I wasn’t wearing my regalia and so I couldn’t blame them, it went both ways after all, I couldn’t tell who was from whom. Unless they were Hoshigaki and had shark like teeth, Jason couldn’t differentiate the civilian clansmen of Hozuki, Funato or even Karatachi, much less the rare Yuki.

I haven’t even been to their compound. I hummed at the thought as my feet guided me down the final corner to the Mizukage Tower. Each time I walked my way here— a coping mechanism I was using more and more— the intricacy of the Tower amazed me just as its beauty did.

Spending time with Harusame has attuned my eyes to recognize sealing marks, both leftovers and permanent fixtures lingering all around the Tower’s body. For the life of me I couldn’t say what everyone of the seals I noticed did but I could guess.

At a glance I could pick out a dozen stabilizers that did what their name implied. It wasn’t often earthquakes struck the Land of Water, but when they did the worst of them created new islands. Having stabilizers on a building as important as the Tower ensured I wouldn’t be drifting away on my own. They were high tier seals and albeit faded their protections extended to several other structures in a radius.

I breathed a sigh and strutted in through the main doors. Yagura was actively screaming within me as I looked upon the finished and polished statue of myself…himself. It was barely accurate; out of some respect they made me as tall as the other Mizukage but at least they didn’t broaden my body past what was true.

The statue presented Yagura with the iconic Hooked Bo-staff and poncho but it wore the regalia each of the Mizukage before did; a simple, ironed cloak that fell to the statues sandaled feet.

The mission desk Chuunin shared looks with each other, both were attending to Jounin teams but were curious if I needed anything. I didn’t and kept staring up at myself.

The walk had distracted me a bit but I wanted it to give me a solution to my problem. What should I do about the Yuki? Who could I even tell? As much as I valued Uncle’s opinions, he wasn’t too unlike Lord Funato, he had a traditional way of doing things and he wasn’t afraid to disappoint me if his way didn’t align with mine.

I took in a breath and began walking towards the stairs, resigned to wait for Eiko to break Hisako, gruesome as such implications were. But then a soft hand snatched mine from behind and pulled.

Turned around I met a wide smile and determined gaze in Rina, “Yagura-sama!”

A single crutch aided her upright stance and her injured leg was bandaged underneath her short shorts. I nodded at her, “Rina, how are you now?”

“I’m ready, Yagura-senpai!”

Senpai…righttt.

My head dropped and I searched for what excuse to give her so she’d leave me to my anxious thoughts.

“Are you headed to your office? I thought I’d take you up on your offer at the hospital, training time.” She smiled, she seemed more confident than ever for some reason.

“Uh, you’re on crutches are you sur-”

“Ninjutsu. These won’t hinder my training. So, what do you say? Let me impress you.”


Announcement

Much like Jagura here I too went on an aimless walk(It was accidental). I'm not happy with my release rate as is and I want to get back to twice daily without costing my patrons or myself. In the end there's little I can do about it but hope I return to speedy posting, as such, I'll be going on a week long break like I did earlier this month but like, next month. First week of next month basically.

I wanna build a backlog for my backlog so I can satisfy my patrons as well as keep honest when 4chap days arrive; I miss them so much. During that week period my bmac might, and I mean might receive a price increase. Currently I'm offering about 14-16chaps in advance but I wanna up that to a round 20chaps(with an uncertain amount of chapters ahead for myself).

If  I succeed the $3 tier will level up to $5. I thought about creating another tier for those who want that many chaps at $5 but I seriously can't manage daily life along with posting ish, plus, I don't need to. Apparently current patrons won't be afflicted by the increased tier price so anyone paying $3 rn will continue to do so even after the change. That said, I might not change anything about it at all, no need to fix what isn't broken ay? We'll see tho. Hope you enjoyed the chapter and I hope to have a regular 2chap day sometime soon, wish Jagura and I luck ^-^

8