Chapter 17: Daybreak
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Estimated Total Trip Time Remaining: Two Weeks, Three Days

Current Trip Destination: Argo — Unknown Contact

Estimated Time of Arrival to Waypoint 1 of 4: Arrival Imminent

Primary Reactor Core State: Anomaly Detected

 

In the past days, Isaac wasted no time heeding the Ordinal’s words, which were that they were being hunted and those tracking them were arriving soon. There wasn’t a minute that passed in which he didn’t feel the looming threat in the void. With each hour the hunters grew closer. Based on nothing but assumption, he decided to use the waypoint tracker as a timer, which was better than nothing.

In the week prior, before Isaac could raise the issue of the hunters with the bridge and not cause panic by telling them there was a monster living in their only remaining reactor core, for some reason, Jakob started shoring up defenses at all points of entry on the lifeboat and began running drills to drive off spontaneous insertions on various decks. At first Isaac thought it was because the bridge was tracking whatever was awaiting them at the first waypoint. But after they turned him away for making baseless claims, the theory was thrown out the window. The bridge finally started taking Isaac seriously when nearby space traffic reported a strange derelict craft lingering in the middle of nowhere.

Not long after Erik’s equipment was returned to him, Isaac insisted on learning enough to defend himself. Either by luck or by chance, the reactor remained stable during the trip. Isaac wasn’t sure Erik actually believed that something was coming. When told about what was near the first waypoint, the sergeant didn’t seem overly concerned about it. But despite being nonplused, he continued to dutifully train Isaac.

They focused entirely on close quarters combat. Because Isaac insisted they only had a week to prepare and he was still the only one responsible for the reactor, Erik gave him a crash course in the ways of fighting in tight spaces with sword and spear. The marine was relentless with his ambushes and solo night raids. It didn’t help that Isaac moved his bunk to the reactor management office and had been sleeping there since the lifeboat broke away from the Endurant. The tops of the desks were hard, but it was quiet, and he didn’t have to sprint all the way down if something happened. But it also meant he was exposed when the sergeant descended upon Isaac’s sleeping spot.

Finally, the time came when Lifeboat 9 approached the first waypoint. Isaac awoke with a startle, in cold sweat. The electric sensation that lingered afar intensified. As if the desk he laid under was energized and the ground upon which it stood, ready to electrocute. With hesitation, he slid his feet from atop his resting place and tapped the tiled floor with one toe. Though it was cool, nothing discharged, no shock hit him. Convinced there wasn’t some freak short in the office wiring, he placed two feet on the ground and slowly rose upright.

“Something wrong?” Erik piped up, sitting in his usual chair across from the office door, one eye open.

The marine’s voice scared Isaac, and he jolted from the sudden sound. “It’s noth—” Isaac wanted to brush it off but given that Erik didn’t ask questions with regards to training him, Isaac felt it was wrong to do so. “You remember what I said before, about how I had a bad feeling about where we were going?”

“I do.” Erik opened both eyes, and his voice remained serious.

“Well, we’re about to—” Isaac jumped when the office door burst open.

“Sir, as ordered, two coffees and a black tea, hot. Sir.” A marine stepped into the office holding a platter with three drinks.

Unperturbed, Erik rose to his feet, still struggling some as his gut and leg bothered him. He pointed to the desk next to the door. “Just put it there.”

The marine acted promptly and as he was ordered.

“That’ll be all.” Erik turned and readied to sit back down.

“Yes sir.” The marine placed his hands behind his back and posted up on the door.

Looking over his shoulder, Erik let off a frustrated sigh and sized up the marine. “Private Helvig.”

Steffan Helvig was tall with light brown hair, shaved. A bit lanky than most of the senior marines, especially much less muscular than Erik. The lack of food over the past weeks must have taken its toll on his muscle mass. “Sir?” The private responded with intensity.

“How long have you been in, private?” Erik turned and closed on Helvig, who was a half-head taller.

“Just graduated boot camp, sir.”

Erik nodded, an agitated grimace on his face. “Took your sweet time joining, huh?”

“No sir. I was on the waiting list. Got in as soon as they would let me.” The private stared ahead, with chin level to the ground as he spoke. “Sir.”

Isaac leaned against his makeshift bed, calming down as the two spoke, the scent of coffee called to him. He stood fast, choosing instead to ease his nerves and let Erik do what he needed.

The private’s answer seemed to ease the sergeant’s disdain for the recently graduated marine.

“I have another detail.” Erik stared out the office, toward the bulkhead doors that led to the docking bay before passing a glance to Isaac.

“Sir.” Helvig responded promptly.

 “I want the current disposition of the docking bay,” Erik said.

“Disposition, sir?”

The sergeant pursed his lips in frustration. “I want to know everything that’s going on down there. Go on foot and tell me everything you see. If there’s a mouse blowing farts in the corner of a container, it will be in your report.”

“Understood, sir.”

“Carry on.” Erik turned and moved back toward his seat.

Without another word, Helvig dashed out the office and rushed for the catwalk stairs to descend to the reactor bay floor.

As the sergeant sat down, he shouted toward the door. “Take your coffee.”

The private reappeared and in rigid motions, snatched up the coffee from the tray and sprinted away. Erik folded his arms and shook his head with a chuckle. “Just got assigned to the Reactor Bay troop this morning.”

Isaac nodded, the image of Arne and Ivar’s coffins drifting away into space flashed into his mind. “He’s young.”

Erik’s expression turned more marine-like, mechanical. “We all were, once.” He leaned forward and picked up his tea from the platter. “You were saying earlier about something going on.” He took a sip of his drink.

Isaac sauntered over and followed Erik’s lead, picking up the only remaining cup of coffee. “Yeah.” He took a swig. “You know how I had a bad feeling, about where we were going?”

“I do.” Erik continued to drink his tea.

“That sense I got, grew stronger this morning.”

The sergeant nodded with care. “You think something bad’s going down today?”

“I’m almost certain of it.” Isaac spoke, gripping his cup tightly.

“We’ll be ready then.”  

Throughout the day, Isaac focused on his duties monitoring the reactor bank. Multiple warnings went off despite the fact that the status readings were within their normal range. Restless, Isaac decided to go and check out the reactor himself. He went alone to the core, with Erik overlooking his walk from the management office.

Suited up, for the sake of not panicking the sergeant, Isaac came to realize he no longer needed the protective gear after his scuffle with Slephna. The walkway airlock was equipped with an irradiation warning system, scanning those departing for radiation sickness due to suit leaks or any other issues. After he’d hobbled away from that fight, there was no warning. Either it was busted, or the bioreactors couldn’t pump him full of radiation anymore. His intuition indicated the latter.

As Isaac entered the glass sphere, the wind howled, causing the great oak to sway and the grass to bend. Standing stalwart, the giant orchid resisted the gale. He fought to keep himself upright, the blasts of air threatened to sweep him from his feet.

The flower bloomed and from within emerged Slephna. She hovered off the ground, suspended by vines that emerged from within the petals. “Perhaps I should be less subtle with my messages from now on. I don’t like to be ignored.”

Isaac looked away, frustrated. “Well, I’m here now. What do you want?”

The floral beast’s skin flickered from a monochrome red and green back to its gradation from crimson to gold to green as she grunted with dissatisfaction. “Do you feel it? They are near.”

“I feel something, that’s for sure. What, I don’t know. Is it these hunters you spoke about before?”

“Yes, the ones who seek to slay us. To eradicate you and me.” Slephna’s voice was harsh, bitter.

Isaac shuddered as she spoke, something about her delivery made his skin crawl. “Who are they? Why are they doing this?”

“These types are all the same. They seek destruction, a usurpation of the ways of old and to impose their own petty methods for how the order of things should be done.” Slephna scoffed.

“Is that it? What should I expect?”

“I sense a powerful technomage among them, wild and untamed.” The floral beast hummed in disapproval. “More of a monster than even I could ever be.”

As she spoke, Isaac got a terrible feeling in his gut. If this guy was so powerful, what could be done to stop him? Isaac knew just enough to hold his own against Slephna at most. If this technomage could track them among the stars, then Isaac had no hope against him.

“What do you want me to do then?” Isaac swallowed hard.

“Don’t be a fool. Kill or be killed.” Slephna turned her chin up condescendingly at him.

0