Chapter 22 – Blood moon [4]
28 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

After watching the situation for a few minutes, I figured it was time to act. Each passing moment increased the danger to Ellen and Noelle. With that concern in mind, I cautiously leaped between the tree branches until I stopped directly above the monsters. The Fuzzy Goblin seemed to be taking on the role of leader, standing out among the rest.

The place was teeming with monsters, and any careless movement could attract unwanted attention. I sighed as I began to descend slowly from the tree. Despite the relative lack of vegetation, there were still some bushes nearby, offering some cover.

As I descended from the tree, my gaze returned to the Fuzzy Goblin. Somehow, it seemed to be communicating with other Goblins in a language I didn't know. Furthermore, ogres and Hobgoblins were obeying its orders. It was strange to see ogres following the orders of a Goblin, although they were close relatives. If you told me they were two different races, I would easily believe it.

At this critical moment, I noticed one of the wolves directing its gaze in my direction. Quickly, I moved behind the tree, seeking to stay in its blind spot. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I was fast enough; I could only hope so. After a few seconds of tension, I released a breath I didn't even realize I was holding. The fact that no monster approached probably meant the wolf hadn't seen me.

Moving faster than before, I completed my descent from the tree and finally reached the ground. Among the bushes, I watched the gathering of monsters attentively. My goal was to eliminate as many of them as possible to reduce their numbers. However, I knew that as soon as at least five of them disappeared, they would probably realize something was going on.

From that point on, it would be a race against time. My goal would be to reduce the number of monsters as much as possible, at least enough not to hinder me when facing the giants and the Fuzzy Goblin. Additionally, I anticipated that the Goblins mounted on wolves would be a headache in future battles.

"Haaa... It's not like I have another choice anyway. I'll have another chance if I die; I just hope it's not too painful"

Leaving my words behind, I moved toward my first target. Two Goblins were relatively isolated from the others, absorbed in their leader's words. Activating [Infusion] on my sword, I delivered a precise blow, piercing the neck of one of the Goblins.

You defeated [Goblin - Lv - 10] Experience was gained.

His friend beside him quickly panicked at what happened. Before he could react, I covered his mouth with my hand and dragged him behind the bushes. By activating [Etheric Pumping], my senses, agility, and strength increased considerably. Currently, in this state, I am much stronger and more agile than the Goblins. Compared to the beginning, I am evolving rapidly. Not even a day has passed since we landed here.

You defeated [Goblin - Lv - 9] Experience was gained.

The screen indicating that I gained experience appeared as I cut the Goblin's neck with my sword. At that moment, I realized that these monsters were just experience points to me. Despite taking the lives of living creatures, I strangely feel indifferent, as if this were completely normal. Honestly, I wonder if I've already gone insane or something.

Putting that thought aside, I redoubled my focus on the goal ahead. I continued to eliminate the Goblins and wolves that were more isolated from the others. The translucent screens continued to appear incessantly, and at some point, I realized that I had leveled up again by doing so.

You leveled up [16] -> [17] and gained 5 stat points and 1 skill point.

The number of monsters had decreased considerably compared to the beginning, as I expected. The monsters began to realize that they were in fewer numbers than expected. In short, I wouldn't be able to hide for much longer. However, at this point, it didn't matter much anymore, as I had already significantly reduced their numbers.

Following this strategy, I continued to silently move through the bushes until I stopped as close as possible to the Fuzzy Goblin. My [Etheric Pumping] ability was already activated, so I waited for the right moment. After a few seconds, the Fuzzy Goblin began to scream, releasing saliva as it opened its mouth full of sharp, crooked teeth.

Slowly, the critters started to disperse, looking around. It was exactly the moment I had been waiting for: the moment he would be alone. Realizing everyone was clear, I emerged from the bushes and swiftly ran towards the Misty Goblin, wielding my sword. With a swift and precise cut, I felt my sword pierce through his body, splitting it in half. Looking back, I saw the Goblin's body separated from its lower half.

But something strange happened: as I slashed, it felt like I was cutting through wind or air. I can't explain it, but it was a peculiar sensation. At that moment, an idea struck me, and I quickly leaped backward. At that exact moment, something materialized where I had just been moments before: it was the Misty Goblin, holding a dagger. I glanced briefly at his body, which was already beginning to dissipate like mist.

The bastard had tricked me. Though I was furious, I managed to regain composure quickly after taking a deep breath. Anyway, now I needed to find a way out of this mess I'd gotten myself into.

Looking around, several monsters began to approach. Though fewer than before, they still constituted a considerable number. I didn't doubt my ability to defeat them, but it was likely I wouldn't get out of here without taking some hits.

"Haaa... seems like today really isn't my lucky day"

Saying those words, I gripped my sword tightly and activated all my skills: [Etheric Pumping], [Infusion], and [Ecopulsation]. Though my [Ecopulsation] couldn't locate the Misty Goblin while he was in his mist form, at least it would protect me from being ambushed from my blind spot.

The first to come at me was a Goblin, wielding a dagger as he ran wildly towards me. I easily dodged his attack, and then my sword was even more stained with green blood, from the Goblin's slash.

You defeated [Goblin - Lv - 9] Experience was gained.

Once again, I directed my attention around and noticed two brave Goblins approaching: one wielding a sword and the other, a dagger. Again, I easily rid myself of both.

You defeated [Goblin - Lv - 11] Experience was gained.

You defeated [Goblin - Lv - 8] Experience was gained.

Even during the fight, my gaze remained fixed on the ogres, Hobgoblins, mounted Goblins, and the Misty Goblin, whose chilling laughter echoed throughout the area.

After dispatching three Goblins, the attacks briefly ceased. They probably realized they couldn't overpower me by facing me individually. Taking advantage of this momentary pause, I ran towards one of the mounted Goblins. Fueled by [Etheric Pumping], I reached my target in a matter of seconds.

With a swift movement, my sword severed the wolf, then pierced the Goblin's chest, causing him to fall to the ground.

You defeated [Goblin Rider - Lv - 19] Experience was gained.

I ignored the translucent screen that appeared and quickly advanced towards another mounted Goblin. As anticipated, he easily dodged my strike, a predictable reaction considering he had just witnessed his companion's fall.

Anticipating this move, as he dodged, I threw a dagger towards the wolf, hitting it in the neck. The wound wasn't fatal, just enough to make it fall and thrash on the ground, but it was all I needed.

I advanced towards both of them and, with a precise stroke, cleanly cut off the Goblin's head. Then, with determination, I pushed the dagger even deeper into the wolf's neck, as it released its last breath.

You defeated [Goblin Rider - Lv - 18] Experience was gained.

At that moment, my [Ecopulsation] beeped, but unfortunately, it was too late. The damned creature had waited for the perfect moment to strike. All I could manage was to raise my hand in front of my face as the dagger came to pierce it.

While my red blood dripped from the wound, the Misty Goblin hopped and grinned, seeming to mock me. It only fueled my rage. I decided that, as soon as I had the chance, I would make that little pest pay for it.

(But first, I need to handle this situation) I thought as I surveyed the surroundings.

In total, there were six more Goblin Riders, two Hobgoblins, two Ogres, and a few additional Goblins. My hand was injured, but strangely, I felt much less pain than expected for a cut like that. I mean, there's a hole in my hand; it should hurt more, right?.

Anyway, I could still fight. Wielding my sword again, I fixed my gaze on the next target ahead of me.

My discord server for conversations, there you'll also find photos of the protagonists of my works, as well as possible spoilers for my future stories, plus I'm always alerting you when a new free chapter is posted.

4