Chapter 25 – Choosing the reward
32 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

"It seems like they got you good" I said, drawing a playful smile on my face.

Upon hearing my words, Ellen returned the same smile and lightly punched my arm. I didn't feel any pain, and it seemed like she didn't intend to hurt me in any way.

"Oh, speak for yourself. Have you looked in the mirror?" Ellen retorted.

Of course, there was no opportunity for me to see myself in the mirror; after all, there was none in the middle of the forest. And honestly, I wasn't eager to face my reflection. Imagining myself covered in blood wouldn't be beneficial for my sanity.

I asked, turning my gaze to the window at the back of the bus. "How's Noelle doing?"

As I formulated my question, Ellen's playful expression turned into an intense seriousness. She glanced briefly at what we could call the battlefield, where human and monster bodies were scattered on the ground.

"She's alright, I guess... Honestly, I don't know how a child would react in a situation like this. I'm trying to stay by her side as much as possible, but she seems fine, which worries me a bit" Ellen replied, squeezing her hands.

Upon hearing Ellen's words, various thoughts crossed my mind. Honestly, we don't know the criteria that determined our summons to this place, but as Ellen mentioned, our mindsets seem aligned to survive this situation.

"Anyway, I think you should stay with her. Having your sister by your side might make her feel calmer and less apprehensive"

Upon hearing my words, Ellen turned her gaze to the window at the back of the bus and then turned to me, nodding. Shortly after, she got up and entered the bus, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Whenever the topic of Ellen's sister comes up, I remember my own sister. Honestly, just thinking about it, I feel a shiver run down my spine.

Setting that aside, I stopped for a few seconds and suddenly remembered that I had reached the necessary level to claim a reward. However, with the monster combat, I had to postpone this moment. Now that the battle is over, it seems like the right time to take a look.

Congratulations! You have completed a side mission. Please select one of the four available categories to receive your reward.

As I pondered about receiving my reward, a translucent screen appeared before me. I was sincerely curious about how the selection process would work, but in reality, it's quite simple.

. Equipment.

. Weapons.

. Potions.

. Permanent increase of a specific statistic.

A new translucent screen appeared before me, displaying four distinct options: one presented armor, another a sword, the third something resembling a flask, and the last a plus symbol. They all seemed extremely enticing, which left me somewhat confused about which to choose.

Considering the options before me, I realize that new equipment would be highly advantageous, especially considering the ragged state of my clothes. New armor could better protect me against damage, thus reducing the risk of serious injuries.

Although potions might be useful in certain situations, I don't feel an imminent need for such items at the moment, unless there's one that permanently increases my dexterity or similar abilities, which frankly seems unlikely.

But at the moment, I don't feel like armor is necessary. Although there are some agile monsters, I can avoid them relatively easily, at least for now. Unless I find myself surrounded by a large group of monsters, it's unlikely they'll be able to defeat me.

In the end, I was torn between increasing some statistic or choosing a weapon as a reward. Honestly, I see no reason to opt for the latter, as I can manage quite well on my own in that aspect. So I decided to invest in weapons.

My sword is practically dull at this point, and although I can pick up weapons from my enemies, they're all of poor quality. Anything reasonable that comes as a reward will be much better than anything I've found so far.

With my decision made, I selected the frame representing a sword. Immediately, a new translucent screen appeared before me, displaying a wide variety of possible weapons, each with its detailed description. In short, it was something like this.

           Heaven's Blade.       []

The Heaven's Blade is a legendary weapon forged in the hearts of the stars. Its iridescent glow evokes the celestial dawn, while its sharp edge transcends earthly limits. With the ability to conjure thunder and lightning, it is an unstoppable force in the hands of its wielder. Its blade, made of an unknown celestial matter, is a manifestation of divinity itself, capable of striking blows that pierce the sturdiest defenses. Those who wield it are imbued with the power of the gods, becoming true heralds of celestial justice.

 

Piercing Spear.

The Piercing Spear is a close combat weapon, characterized by its sharp, narrow tip, designed to pierce armor and penetrate defenses with lethal precision. Its long shaft provides significant reach, allowing effective attacks from a distance, while its sturdy construction makes it ideal for direct combat. Versatile in battle, it can be used both for offense and defense, offering tactical advantage in individual confrontations or in formation. The Piercing Spear is feared for its ability to inflict penetrating damage and is a popular choice among warriors seeking lethal efficiency.

 

Breezy Bow.

The Breezy Bow is a legendary archer's weapon, imbued with the power of ancestral winds. Its body is elegantly carved from ebony wood, adorned with delicate engravings and ornaments made of gleaming silver. Its strings, made of dragon fibers, resonate like a celestial symphony when pulled. Each arrow shot from this bow cuts through the air with deadly precision, guided by the archer's will and amplified by the energy of the winds, defying gravity and reaching its targets with unmatched speed and lethality.

 

Shadow Dagger.

The Shadow Dagger is a lethal weapon, forged in the shadows of the darkest nightmares. Its blade gleams with a black aura, emanating coldness and mystery. With a deadly touch, it is both a tool of stealth and destruction. Its cutting agility silently glides, enveloping itself in darkness to strike without warning. Feared by the enemies of light, the Shadow Dagger is the embodiment of stealth and lethality in the right hands.

 

War Hammer.

The War Hammer is a formidable weapon, combining the brutality of a hammer with the effectiveness of an axe. Its massive head, usually made of metal, is balanced for devastating blows, capable of crushing armor and bones with ease. At the other end, a sharp blade allows precise and lethal cuts. Its versatile design allows both blunt and cutting strikes, making it a fearsome choice in both close combat and siege situations. The War Hammer embodies power and destruction in skilled hands.

I won't lie, the first thing that caught my attention about the weapons was how... fanciful their names were. Honestly, I had no idea how close these names were to the true power of the weapons. However, what really intrigued me wasn't the names, but rather the descriptions of the weapons.

Overall, all the weapons seemed to be powerful, as well as infinitely superior to practically all the weapons we have in the tutorial so far. It was with this idea in mind that I began to examine the descriptions in detail. However, I didn't immediately realize that there was a square in the upper right corner of the translucent screen.

I know it might seem strange to have let that square go unnoticed again, but honestly, you'd be surprised how easily these details escape when you're immersed in this kind of situation.

Anyway, upon mentally visualizing the opening of the square, a new translucent screen appeared before me. Unlike the previous ones, this one displayed a vibrant coloration, encompassing almost all the shades of the rainbow. Additionally, a new weapon materialized in front of me.

Congratulations! You have completed the secret mission of being the first among all the blocks to reach level 20. As a reward, you have unlocked a weapon specific to your rune.

 

Death's Scythe.

Death's Scythe is a unique weapon, forged from the legendary rune "Return of Death." Its reddish-black blade, adorned with runic patterns, pulses with dark energy. When wielded by its bearer, the scythe adapts, growing in power and reach as the bond between the bearer and death strengthens. Each strike unleashes a frigid aura that drains the life from opponents, feeding on vital essence to strengthen its bearer. Feared by both the living and the dead, it is a weapon to be reckoned with.

My discord server for conversations, there you'll also find photos of the protagonists of my works, as well as possible spoilers for my future stories, plus I'm always alerting you when a new free chapter is posted.

3