Chapter 44: Contract
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Lumière looked at the three figures trembling before him, he felt a profound shift in his body, as if his stamina had returned slightly.

'Is this the accumulation of 'fear' that Poe's Gnosis spoke of? I wonder how long it will take to be able to use Despair without any drawbacks. Will it be a natural feeling within me?''

"Very well. If you must tell me your names, then do so."

The now Five of Hearts took no time in bowing his head and announcing. His mixture of golden and white strands of long hair had settled against his neck, and his pale skin glistened under the orange light.

"My name is Cartwell Heffen, Honourable Lord. I have no noble connections, nor is my family origin of any importance."

Following suit, with slight hesitance in her tone, Three of Diamonds followed suite.

"My name is Zelia Chatelaine, Honourable Lord. I'm from a branch nobility family, although we are a very minour outlying family. We have no considerable sway in political matters, and only a pittance of land to call our own."

'Honourable Lord? It's much like how Mr. Sand refers to Lord Sinner. Well, I suppose in canon, some demons equate to the orthodox deities… saying this much is just them covering their bases. Moreover, a noblewoman... if I brought this woman under my control, couldn't I benefit greatly?' As he ruminated the thought, the memory of another noblewoman, the 'Genius Blade' Artis Faulkner came to mind. She had proposed to him, offering him a pleasant and comfortable life. However, that was not the method of 'control' he wished for when it came to nobility. After all, to an extent, he viewed the top of the societal structure of the Empire as targets.

Humoured, Lumière looked over towards the merchant he had come to know, now holding the 'Four of Hearts' card. He was the one Lumière had initially bought his firearm from, the one who he had held a gun to his head, yet was met with a slightly crazed confidence nonetheless. Looking at Lumière, knowing that he was a Demon who far exceeded his strength, that merchant had a satisfied, amused grin on his face.

"My name is Juno, Lord Demon of the Garden."

"You may call me Ophelia." Lumière chided. "Did you think I told you my name for fun? Don't be a fool and disrespect my efforts so blatantly."

"Yes, Lord Ophelia. My apologies." The Merchant, Juno, bowed his head slightly.

'This is really too much.' Lumière mused inwardly. He almost felt guilty, having such powerful figures kneel before him. After all, in their eyes, he would be equivalent to an ant. However, as a masterful career liar, fabricating such an air of loftiness was no difficult matter. As a magician, the suspension of belief in the audience was key, and so he had become adept at putting on a show for the sake of seeming otherwordly. That was the key skill he put into play when acting as the Demon of the Garden, Ophelia.

"However, in the future, refer to me as 'Lumière Croft' when in front of others in public. In the House of Cards, you should call me One of Spades. Only in conversations like these should you call me 'Ophelia'. Moreover, in most instances, it won't be me you're talking to, but Lumière Croft." Lumière purposefully revealed his name. He was sure that Juno, the merchant, had long become aware of it. Moreover, he had mild notoriety in the entertainment district, so it wasn't a matter he was too scared in revealing.

'One of Spades's name is Lumière Croft, but I knew this much already. However, this inadvertently confirms that at times, the Demon of the Garden, Ophelia, is not present in the body of Lumière Croft. At times, when he seems a bit aloof and gentler, that should be the 'true him'. The anxiety and fear in Juno's mind seemed to abate a bit as he lost himself in thought. He was one who valued knowledge over his own safety, and so the prospect of conversing with the Demon was quite entertaining.

However, it was Zelia, the Three of Diamonds, who brought up the matter that no one wished to mention.

"Is it not dangerous to tell us not only your true name, but the identity of your vessel? Do you not fear that we would use it against you?" Zelia asked of the Demon.

"Do you think that I fear you?" Lumière retorted with a smile on his face.

Fear flushed Zelia's expression, and she immediately bowed her head once more in deference.
"All of you will sign a contract with me. For Ms. Chatelain, who cannot use contracting runes, we can conduct a three-way deal." A grin spread up Lumière's face. "This way, there will be no doubt that you will choose to speak about this matter."

To Lumière, he knew this would look as if it was a secondary layer of protection for himself. This was because he had already portrayed the layer of a 'hidden test' in revealing his name. However, since this was not truly the case, he needed an actual layer of protection to fall back on in the case that they truly chose to test the matter of his name, Ophelia. So, he chose to form a contract with them detailing the punishment they would receive by speaking his name to anyone other than him or each other.

Lumière had Juno, the now Four of Hearts draw out the runes. He dutifully and carefully inscribed the runes in his and Cartwell's blood onto the arm of Lumière, and after doing the same to Zelia, Lumière spoke aloud as the Registrar of the contract.

"The Signatories of the contract will abide fully by its strictions. Deviation from the command to 'not speak the name 'Ophelia' in the presence of anyone but those currently present here' will result in immediate death."

Immediately after, the runes on each of their bodies began to glow a bright-emerald colour, signifying the binding of the contract between them. Now, Lumière didn't have to worry too much about them exposing the matter. However, he worried slightly if it lowered the loftiness of his persona. So, he presented another matter.

"Do you fools know of the 'Phantom Syndicate?' Lumière posed a question to them, as if testing them. However, this was his attempt at fishing for knowledge. He wondered if in such an organisation as the House of Cards, the knowledge of the profound, secretive organisation that had killed Elise was something their members would be privy to. However, this seemed not the case as the three shook their heads in response. "Prior to that 'operation' of yours, 'Lumière Croft' experienced an attack by these individuals, one having wielded the fated 'One of Spades' card. Ultimately, this individual, for some reason, happened to attack one night, and slaughtered dozens of people. Witnessing the carnage, and standing before the monster who had taken all he had cared about away from him, his only option was to utter meaningless words into the air. It did not matter what demon answered his call, just that one did. So, I did."
Using his experiences as a starting point for his own storyline, he had been trying to convince the three that it was directly connected to the emergence of the 'Demon of the Garden'. This was preparation in the event that Juno, the merchant, chose to do further investigation into the body of the One of Spades- Lumière Croft.

"Why tell us this, honourable Lord Ophelia?" Cartwell Heffen, the white-haired man asked of him.

"This is my reason for being here, so I think you should know of it. It is my duty to find this 'Phantom Syndicate' and kill them at all costs. In exchange, I am allowed to experience the world through his body. Don't you think that's quite fair?" Lumière grinned. "However, there is further reason to telling you of this."

The three's attention seemed to perk up from their sullen, fearful mood. Juno still had a slightly enigmatic, excited expression. Cartwell's was genial, and glad his death no longer seemed imminent. However, Zelia's face was still filled with a touch of hesitance, even if it was obvious she was trying hard not to show it.

"What do you wish us to do with this information, Honourable Lord?"

"I want you to help me destroy them."

This was a massive request that Lumière was levying. However, knowing he was doing it as 'Ophelia' rather than as 'Lumière' made it a bit more amiable. He knew that at his level, it was unlikely he would be able to destroy an entire supposed organisation of magic users- the Phantom Syndicate. He had once thought of requesting help from the Joker, who seemed open to taking requests. Although, he had nothing to entice such a being with. If he could act as a being like the Joker, however,

"Is Mr. Joker really okay with a demon being in his establishment? I'm not trying to demean the idea of you, Honourable Lord. However, I wonder why such a grand being as him hasn't detected you yet? Is it the case that you have a power that conceals your presence?"

Lumière just looked down at Juno with an amiable grin, withholding a response. This piqued Juno's interest further, but he kept silent.

'He didn't respond. Is this his way of indirectly confirming my theory? However, this is just one of many possibilities. As far as I know, Demons are only capable of having one unique ability that they bestow onto their contracted followers. However, Lord Ophelia has already shown that ability- that cloak of crows that drowns out the light… then, is it possible that Mr. Joker can sense Lord Ophelia's presence, but doesn't mind it? Is it possible that these two are cooperating? But what could Mr. Joker dislike about this organisation- the 'Phantom Syndicate'? Have they wronged the House of Cards in the past?' Juno began ruminating through many, countless thoughts.

Suddenly, however, Lumière stood up from his seat, shocking the three who had knelt before him. They stood and backed up quickly, bowing slightly to the Demon as he walked past. Lumière looked over towards them and nodded his head. Then, without a word, he left the private room in the House of Cards.

Shortly after, he returned to the monastery. After eating a meal consisting of stale bread and porridge, he adjourned to his room.

Lumière then slumped into his bed, sinking into the soft pillowy mattress before letting out a harsh, exhausted sigh. Each and every bone in his body felt as if they had been individually stretched and bended in every which way, and then forced to carry the heaviest weight of his life. Yet, when he touched upon his bed, he felt his fatigue rush forth, and so he could not move a single inch more.

'To an extent, I enjoying living my life. However, if I were to stay in this bed for the rest of my life, I might not mind it too much.' Lumière thought, humoured. 'Hasn't the past twenty-four hours been too much of a mess? To engage in a mission as 'Lain, One of Spades', and emerge as 'Ophelia, Demon of the Garden'… isn't this too grand of a lie? For some reason, this makes me feel as if this is exactly the type of performance I enjoy most. Moreover, there's utility in having them under my control via a contract. Now, if I need assistance, they can be employed at my whim.'

Slowly, as he ruminated, Lumière fell into a deep sleep, soothing his worries and his fatigue.

0