Chapter 64 – Homeward Bound!
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SJ slowly removed her arm from around Cristy, not wishing to awaken her yet. She made a soft grumbling sound before curling up in a tight ball. Leaning over, SJ placed the blanket over her tiny form. Standing and stretching, SJ looked around the cave again. The torch she had planted in the ground was nearly burned out, and she took another from her inventory, igniting it. Picking up the almost finished one, she moved quietly back towards the cave entrance.

Shrinking down to her miniature form, she walked back along the tunnel until she began to see the bright light of the morning sun at the cave's mouth. Looking at her display, it was only 0700 hrs. As expected, she had fully healed overnight, and her dress was pristine again. She could feel a mild ache in her wing muscles, which must have been due to the speed she had flown when searching for Cristy.

"Morning, Dave," she said quietly as she approached the entrance.

"Morning," he replied cheerily.

"I need to get Cristy back to town."

Reaching the entrance, she dropped the torch, stood on it to extinguish it fully, and peered out of the entrance. Listening quietly, she could hear nothing apart from the calls of early morning birds. Slowly stepping out into the sun, its warmth immediately hit her. Closing her eyes, she stood and rotated her shoulders a few times, helping to ease the stiffness in her back.

"I wish I had brought my Dryac with me," SJ said.

"Next time, remember it then," Dave replied, chuckling.

"You think!"

Looking down the valley's side in the daylight gave a different perspective, and she slowly moved from the mouth of the cave, not wishing to fly just yet; she grew to her full size. Picking her way down the side, she reached the break where the trees gave way as the steepness increased and the side became scree. The sight in the daylight put a whole new perspective on what the boulder she had released had caused.

A clear path was running down the slope where the triggered rockslide had torn its way down the side. She could see below where the steps had been cut in and that the path the Hobgoblins had been using had been obliterated. There were no visible signs of anyone around, and peering into the distant valley, she could see smoke rising down at the village. It must have still been a few hundred metres, if not further, from where she now stood. Judging the exact distances was deceiving from the being above the village.

"I can't believe they live so close to the town," SJ said.

"It is unusual, as I have said before, but with the sandbox's potential, it all makes sense. I am trying to discover if the town has implemented the same level starter cap, but my department friend has not replied since my last enquiry. I am unsure, but I may have gotten him into trouble."

"I told you to be careful."

"I was. The System can get a little grumpy at times."

"You know I am still confused about who the System is and where it originates from."

"Oof. No one knows. That has been a question since the first AI was born when Amathera was created."

"I wonder how it interacts with Earth, though."

"Again, no one has any idea. It is like the term you use on Earth when you ask what the meaning of life is. It is just as apparent here. Why was I created? What is my exact purpose? Is there anything else beyond this existence? The same questions with the same multiple answers, none of which anyone has ever managed to confirm or deny."

"It starts to get philosophical and deep when you consider it all. The fact that there is a second chance at life from an accidental death means to me that maybe the System has control over Earth as well."

"Would that then not make it the God that many people of Earth believe in?"

"Perhaps," SJ replied, musing over the thought.

Several moments passed before SJ spoke again. "Okay. Let's get back to town and get Cristy safe."

"Agreed," Dave said.

Making her way back to the cave entrance, SJ shrunk again and walked inside, not worrying about lighting another torch. She edged her way along until the torch's light from the chamber became visible. Walking in, she grew again; Cristy's tiny form was still asleep under the blanket. SJ walked over and bent down next to her, gently striking her head.

"Cristy. Time to get up."

Cristy began to mumble, "Dad."

SJ's heart sank at hearing her mention her dad. What she must have and still be going through, she couldn't imagine.

"Cristy. It's SJ. It's time to get up. We need to get back to town."

Cristy slowly opened her eyes, sitting up and rubbing them with her small, balled-up fists. Blinking, she looked at SJ, bent down next to her.

"Morning," SJ said, smiling.

"Morning," Cristy replied, yawning.

"We need to get back to town and get you safe."

"Okay."

SJ called one of the rations from her inventory and handed it to Cristy,, who took it and began eating ravenously. She did the same with the waterskin. Once she had eaten, SJ put them away before packing the blanket away as well.

"Come on, let's go. I will check ahead as we move. Okay?"

"Sure," Cristy replied.

After collecting the torch, SJ led them back up the tunnel, shrinking to her miniature form. The bright sun made them squint as they stepped out into it, its warmth washing away Cristy's weariness.

"I am not sure of the route from here, so I will need to check," SJ said as she took off. "Wait here for a minute."

It was the first time SJ had flown since yesterday, and she immediately felt the difference. Her back muscles were achy, but she wouldn't let a little pain stop her. Moving higher and looking ahead, she found a path leading through the sparse trees, which looked easier to traverse until it reached the main forest line on the ridge. She returned to Cristy and began directing her where to go. It didn't take them too long, and they had managed to make it back up to the top on even ground.

The forest in front of them was thick, the trees close together, and there was no sign of a path. "I think we just push through," SJ said, growing to her full size and forcing through the thick underbrush. Cristy followed close on her heels, and SJ felt her reach out and take hold of the back of her dress. It was obvious that she didn't want to be separated.

They continued through the brush for a while before eventually coming to an animal track, which SJ turned and followed. Although it wasn't easy, she could roughly tell the direction they needed to go. The track wound through the trees, weaving in and out of the thick trunks. There were sounds of life all around, and on more than one occasion, SJ stopped to check. Dave hadn't spoken, and she knew he would scan the area for them. It was strange how he had become her third eye after their initial meeting, but she knew deep down that she could trust Dave with her life.

That realisation that she was willing to place her life in the hands of another was something she had never experienced before. She had had close relationships, and at one time, she had been engaged, but never had she felt the same level of trust as she now did with an AI that she had known for less time than in any other relationship she had been in. She couldn't explain the reasoning behind it.

They had continued for nearly an hour when the trail came to a small pond area. There were tracks surrounding the pond in the soft earth, and it was frequented often looking at the number. SJ cautiously stepped out, but she could see nothing there. Working around the pond, they found another trail that continued into the forest, which, if her bearings were right, turned slightly towards the West. Not being sure she spoke. "I wish I had a map to confirm which direction we needed to go."

Dave's voice immediately replied, "Don't worry. I will tell you if you are heading off track. This area is still covered in a fog of war, but looking at the larger map, you aren't too far from the trail you originally came down. Just keep following this one."

"We aren't lost, are we?" Cristy said nervously.

"No," SJ said, reassured by Dave's words. "We just need to keep following this; it would be easier with a map."

It took another twenty minutes to follow the new trail with no signs of danger, and SJ's senses had not triggered once before they broke out onto the main trail. The trail was well-worn, and SJ recognised it straight away. Turning and heading back toward the town as it curved back around the side of the lake.

"Now we are on the path. It shouldn't take long," SJ said, smiling down at Cristy, who had moved to her side and held her hand. At that instant, her senses were triggered.

Dragging Cristy, she immediately moved to the side of the trail and into some bushes at the base of a tree. "Shh," she said.

Cristy looked at her with terrified eyes.

She placed her finger to her lips and indicated that Cristy should stay where she was hidden in the thick bush as she shrunk to her miniature form. Sneaking out to the edge, she took off, flying straight up into the branches directly above before coming to a rest. From this vantage point, she could see up and down the track.

"See anything?" she whispered.

"Nothing. I guess you sensed something?" Dave asked.

"Yeah," SJ replied, still scanning the trail. Sitting silently watching, it was several moments before Dave spoke.

"Movement to the right. The far edge of the trail. There is something just off the trail in the treeline."

"Damn," SJ cursed.

Watching intently, SJ stared at the area Dave had indicated and soon saw a very slight movement in the bushes.

"I need Cristy off the ground," SJ whispered, taking off and dropping back down.

Cristy had been staring up at her virtually the whole time, and on reaching her, she whispered. "Can you climb the tree?"

Cristy looked at the tree they were next to and held out her paws with a nervous grin, which had rather sharp-looking claws on their ends.

"Good. Then climb up to the branch I was sitting on."

Cristy didn't respond but began to reach and dig her claws into the tree's bark and slowly began to climb. Thankfully, she hardly made a sound, and after a minute, she was fifteen feet off the ground and crouched on the branch. SJ returned and landed next to her again, looking back onto the trail. That was when she heard talking.

"If the path hadn't been destroyed, we would have been there by now," the voice grumbled.

"Stop complaining. You know we are due back in a couple of days; we need to keep reporting," another replied.

SJ saw the group coming from the southern part of the trail. Something had triggered her senses on the northern side, and now, on the South, she counted five Hobgoblins. Looking at them, she triggered her Identification skill.

 

Hobgoblin Scout

Level: 10

Hit Points: 55

Mana Points: 50

Armour Class: 7

Attacks: Pierce/Slash

Special: Hide

 

Hobgoblin Archer x 4

Level: 6

Hit Points: 35

Mana Points: 35

Armour Class: 4

Attacks: Pierce/Slash

Special: Nil

 

The party was weaker than the last group of Hobs, and looking at them, they were all lightly armoured. They were only equipped with bracers and greaves, and there was no chest protection she could see. Two of the four archers carried short bows, and two carried crossbows. The scout had what SJ thought was a long bow across its back. They all also carried either short swords or daggers on their belts.

The party continued up the trail, which was nearly parallel to where SJ and Cristy were hidden on the branch, when the bushes exploded from the other side of the trail. The size of the beast that leapt out was significant. This was a monster compared to the Grey Wolf she had fought when she first arrived. Its fur was blue-black with a white mark between its shoulder blades. It stood almost four feet at its shoulder, and its maw was huge, yellowed fangs dripping with saliva as it landed on its first target.

The poor Hob it had chosen screamed as its jaws clamped down around its throat, violently ripping and then turning on another. The Hobs, screaming and drawing their weapons, began to try to defend themselves. That was when four more wolves appeared from where the monstrous one had come. SJ again triggered her skill. Three of the wolves looked very similar to the one she had fought. The fourth was jet-black, and its fur gleamed in the sunlight.

 

Dire Wolf

Level: 14

Hit Points: 105

Mana Points: 25

Armour Class: 21

Attacks: Bite/Claw

Special: Howl

 

Grey Wolf x 3

Level: 6

Hit Points: 55

Mana Points: 0

Armour Class: 9

Attacks: Bite/Claw

Special: Nil

 

Black Wolf

Level: 8

Hit Points: 70

Mana Points: 0

Armour Class: 11

Attacks: Bite/Claw

Special: Nil

 

As the fight developed, the Hobs dropped into a circle, their backs to each other, looking out at the beasts now prowling around them. The Dire Wolf had stood back from the other four when it let out a howl. It was one of the most terrifying sounds SJ had ever heard, and the forest went silent in response. Even the Hobs and Wolves seemed to flinch when it did.

The wolves began to pick at the Hobs, moving in and back away again, trying to find an opening to strike. The Hobs were not giving up their ground, and SJ was impressed with their organisation. The wolves, on the other hand, were biding their time. The Hobs couldn't attack because if one left the group, they would be left open to attack on that side.

The circling, snapping, and slashing continued until one of the wolves made its first mistake. It had dived in towards one of the Hobs to snap at its arm and, on doing so, left its self-open to be attacked on its flank. The Hob next to its target swung with a short sword, catching it cleanly on its side. It yelped as a large cut was opened and it shrunk away. As it did, the Dire Wolf had seen enough and pounced. With no consideration of the other Hobs, it wouldn't let its pack member be injured and ploughed straight into the four of them as though they were bowling pins. The screams and chaos that ensued were absolute mayhem.

Once the Dire Wolf had scattered the other Hobs, it made them targetable by the rest of the pack, and they reacted, snapping and biting at the Hobs who tried to fight them off. The wolves had the advantage of five against four since the Dire Wolf's initial target would never see another day, its corpse lying where it had initially been attacked.

SJ watched as the wolves systematically used their advantage to attack the Hobs and placed bites on them, slowly wearing them down. The Dire Wolf soon made a meal of the one he had ploughed into. The struggle continued; two of the wolves were seriously injured, looking at one lying on its side and another lame and limping, its front paw bleeding heavily. However, the second-to-last Hobgoblin fell to the Black Wolf, and only the Scout Hobgoblin remained.

His chest had scratch marks on it, and SJ had seen him defend at least two attacks with his bracers, and there were visible bite marks on them. The two remaining wolves and the Dire Wolf now stalked towards it. It cursed and hissed, swinging its blade in front of itself wildly as it tried to get in a position to attack. It didn't take long; the scout was lucky enough to catch another wolf with the flat of its blade stunning it, but in the process, had opened its flank for the Dire Wolf, who had seized the opportunity and dove in, grabbing its outstretched arm carrying its sword and clamped down, shaking its head from side to side like a dog with a toy.

The Hobgoblin was jostled and thrown off balance, tripping. As it did, the other wolf dove in as well. SJ watched in horrified amazement.

"That was brutal," Dave said.

SJ didn't respond, still watching the display, when she suddenly realised that Cristy had moved. Turning rapidly, she saw her nearly at the base of the tree. Having been focused on what was happening on the ground, she hadn't paid her any attention.

As the Dire Wolf stepped back from the Hob Scout, it sat back on its haunches and howled. The forest again fell silent in its aftermath. SJ had hissed down at Cristy for her to stop, but she hadn't slowed, and she reached the ground and walked onto the path before SJ could even take off and get down there.

"No," SJ shouted, no longer trying to hide where she was. The Wolves turned at her cry, and the Dire Wolf tilted its head and looked in her direction. It growled, and a deep, unearthly sound left its throat. There was nothing SJ could do; she could not take on that Dire Wolf, especially with the other able-bodied wolves. Cristy, showing no signs of fear, walked out onto the trail.

The wolves saw her, and one of them snarled, baring its teeth, and began to stalk at her. They were probably thirty feet from her and could be on her instantly at the speed they moved. SJ, panicking, took off and flew down to where she was.

"Cristy, run, climb a tree now," she screamed at her only inches from her ear.

Cristy paid her no heed and stood there looking at the Dire Wolf, not taking her eyes off it. The snarling wolf came closer, and the Dire Wolf snapped its jaws and growled. The other wolf came to a stop and turned its head, looking back at it. SJ was waiting for the pounce and could see the tension building in the Dire Wolf's haunches, where it was still sitting after howling. It suddenly moved. SJ screamed as the beastly creature hurtled towards where Cristy stood. SJ flew up and instantly turned away, not wanting to watch Cristy get eaten.

1