Chapter 66 – Monsters and Mithril
31 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A couple of hours later, the group eventually reached the forest's edge. Cristy climbed down from Patch’s back, and after talking to him for a while, she eventually left him sending his pack off into the forest's edge while she continued with SJ and the remainder back across the field to town. On the group's return, several townsfolk stopped and looked at them, seeing SJ walking along, holding Cristy’s small paw in her hand.

They walked straight to the barracks, a couple of the accompanying guards peeling off to the training grounds, and Gary, Sven, SJ, and Cristy entered. The usual Orc sat at the desk, and SJ was unsure if he ever stopped working or slept.

“Is the Mayor in?” Gary asked, approaching the barrier.

“Yes. He is in his office,” the old Orc replied, looking at SJ and staring at Cristy.

“Thanks,” Gary replied.

Walking up the stairs, they approached the Mayor’s office, passing the table holding the model of the town. Cristy’s eyes turned in amazement.

“That looks amazing,” she said as she walked past, receiving a smile from one of the Gnomes busily making adjustments. It was like a live model, and SJ didn’t think they ever stopped working on it with all the required building adjustments and changes.

“Mayor Maxwell,” Gary said as he approached the Mayor’s open door. The Mayor looked up from his desk and saw SJ walking with little Cristy. A broad grin appeared on his face.

“Thank Amathera. You are both okay,” the mayor said.

“It was an interesting night,” SJ replied.

“Thank you, Gary, for escorting them back safely. I don’t wish to take up any more of your time,” the Mayor said.

“There is something we need to discuss first,” Gary replied.

“What’s that?” the Mayor asked quizically.

“We have ended up bringing some guests back with us.”

“Guests? What sort?”

“The kind I am not sure you will be very happy about,” Gary said, looking a little sheepish.

The Mayor immediately stood from behind his desk. “Don’t tell me the Hobs are behind you?”

“No. No,” Gary replied quickly.

The Mayor sighed deeply, “That’s one good thing then. So what guests are you referring to?” frowning at Gary.

SJ had been allowing Gary to talk but took the opportunity to jump into the conversation.

“Actually, Mayor, they are not Guests. They are Cristy’s family,” she interjected.

“Family?” the Mayor replied, his frown deepening.

“Yes. It’s a bit more complicated than you may imagine, so I would ask for your patience while I explain,” SJ replied. Raising his eyebrow the Mayor sat back down.

"Please, go on."

SJ spent the next few minutes explaining what had happened to her and Cristy before eventually coming around to the fight between the Wolves and the Hobs. The Mayor looked enthralled, listening to her tale and her battle description.

“That sounds quite intense,” he said when she finished.

“That’s not the main part,” SJ said. “The main part is that the Dire Wolf is Cristy’s family.”

“What!” the Mayor exclaimed, gasping at her comment. SJ even heard the Gnome working on the miniature town gasp behind her. She thought he must hear most of what gets discussed in the Mayor’s office and must be trusted.

“Yes. Patch is the name of the Dire Wolf,” SJ then began to talk through how Cristy knew Patch and what had happened since. “So, in conclusion, I believe that if they are allowed to stay at the forest edge outside of the town’s border, they will help in two ways. First, they will prevent Hob Scout parties, and it will also allow Cristy to visit as she wishes.”

The Mayor leaned back heavily in his chair at the revelation and now had a perplexed look on his face. “You want me to authorise a pack of Wolves to live just outside town?”

“Yes. In the simplest terms,” SJ replied.

The Mayor sat, scratching his thick beard, contemplating the news from SJ. Gary and Sven had just stood listening to SJ’s tale, having already heard what had happened on their return, and now both stared at the Mayor, awaiting his response. Cristy took it upon herself to let go of SJ’s hand, where she had been standing quietly as the grown-ups spoke and walked over to the mayor’s desk. Walking around the side, she looked up at where he was sitting. He turned to look down at her, smiling.

“Please,” Cristy said, her eyes wide like saucers. The look on her face was enough to melt the coldest heart.

The Mayor looked at her momentarily, and SJ saw his demeanour change slightly softening.

“Oh, Cristy. I'm not sure allowing a pack of Wolves to live so close to town is a good idea. What if they start attacking the livestock or venture into the town?”

“I promise they won’t do any of that. They will only do what Patch tells them. He is their leader,” Cristy replied.

For Cristy's age, SJ was impressed with her ability to communicate so well.

“Why don’t you come and meet Patch?” Cristy said.

“You want me to meet him?” the Mayor replied, raising an eyebrow again.

“Yes. I think he would like you,” Cristy said, smiling.

The Mayor looked over at Gary and Sven, who just shrugged, and SJ smiled.

“I suppose I could meet him,” the Mayor replied. “Alice?” he called.

Alice came walking through from the adjoining office. “Yes, Mayor?”

“I assume you just heard all that was discussed?”

“I did.”

“What are your thoughts?” he asked.

As a druid, I have no problems with animals near town as long as they are not evilly aligned. I do not know of or have ever had any dealings with a Dire Wolf, so I can’t really advise. I do know, though, that they are supposed to be highly intelligent creatures, and if their trust is gained, they will die for you."

“Really!” the Mayor replied, surprised.

“Yes. Some druids seek them out due to their intelligence and undying loyalty. I have never met a druid who had one as a familiar, and I think this Patch would be too old now to attempt to obtain, as I understand they are sought out while still cubs, but there is no harm in visiting him.”

The Mayor looked again down at Cristy. “Ok. We will go and visit him. Depending upon how the visit goes, I will then decide.”

Yay,” Cristy cheered, smiling at the Mayor with the biggest grin she could muster. “You really will like him, I promise.”

“We will see,” he replied.

“Come on then,” Cristy said, reaching and taking hold of the Mayor’s giant-sized hand.

The Mayor looked at her hand in his and smiled warmly at her again. “Ok. Let’s go and visit Patch,” he replied.

An hour later, the Mayor had returned to his office. Patch would have been the perfect Dire Wolf if there were rules for Dire Wolves manners. There had been no growling or anything that may have caused any concern for the Mayor, and he had decided before returning to the town that the Wolf Pack could stay on a trial basis for two weeks, and then after that time, he would make a final decision. Cristy initially objected until SJ spoke to her and ensured that if Patch and his pack behaved, stayed away from the town, and didn’t attack anyone or any livestock, they should be fine. Cristy was still unhappy with the trial period but eventually succumbed to persuasion.

“We need to get you back to the orphanage,” Gary said as they returned to the barracks.

Cristy turned and looked at SJ. “Do I have to? Can I not stay with you? I have no friends there.”

Looking at Cristy, SJ wanted to say yes but knew she couldn’t commit to looking after her full-time. “I always have to leave and go away, and I don’t have a home. I stay at the Inn.”

“You have a cottage,” Dave said.

Cristy looked forlornly at SJ, wide, small eyes staring up at her, making her chest hurt. “Gary. Could you tell Miss Madeline I will let Cristy stay with me tonight?” SJ said.

Gary smiled at them both, “Of course,” he replied as he set off to the orphanage.

The Mayor was just about to return to the barracks when SJ remembered.

“Oh. Mayor.”

“Yes,” he replied.

“I found something you may be interested in,” SJ said.

“Really? What have you found?” he asked.

“I believe that Mithril is valuable?”

“Exceedingly. It is only found in the higher territories, which is very valuable. Why?”

“I found some,” SJ said.

“You will do well when you sell it. I bet Zej would be interested in using Mithril bars or ore.”

“No, you misunderstand me. I haven’t found a bar of Mithril or Mithril ore. I have found a Mithril vein.”

“WHAT?” the Mayor spluttered in amazement.

“Where we stopped last night, there is a cave with a Mithril vein running through it. The reflected light it cast was beautiful.”

“You are serious, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” SJ said.

“Has it not been claimed by anyone? Had it been mined?”

“No. It was only accessible by a small entrance. Cristy and I could fit through, but anyone or thing larger than Cristy would never be able to access it.”

“How large was the area?” the Mayor replied excitedly.

“The cavern was probably sixty feet by forty feet and twenty high. The veins ran all over the walls and ceiling.”

The Mayor stood dumbfounded. “You realise how much that would be worth to mine if there really is that much there?”

“I have an idea. Yes,” SJ replied, lying; she had no idea of its value. She knew from games she had played back on Earth that Mithril was always one of the higher-value blacksmithing ores. Renowned with Dwarven and Elven blacksmithing. Considering Amathera, it was amazing how stereotypical some aspects were in relation to Earth’s fantasy worlds that had been written about.

The Mayor’s eyes lit up at the thought of the Mithril, and SJ could see him performing mental calculations in his head. “A Mithril vein here, so near to town, would bring in so much income. It would guarantee jobs and livelihoods for so many.”

“There is one problem.”

“What?” the Mayor asked.

“It is near the Hobgoblin village—not too close, but close enough that they could potentially see a group near it, and it is not easily accessible either.”

“Damn. We need to confirm the area and see what we can do. Would you be willing to show Shelly where the mine is?”

“Who is Shelly?” SJ asked.

“Shelly is our mining lead; we mine our stone from the mountain to the West of town. She would be the best bet to confirm the details.”

“I can do that, but unless everyone is Cristy or my miniature size, they won't be able to enter the cavern.”

“She can mine through the stone in no time. I am sure she can get to the cavern.”

“It's to close to the Hobgoblins. The area is near the route the Hobs use to traverse from the valley’s floor.”

The Mayor swore under his breath. “I must send a scouting party to check the cave's location. Would you be able to go with them?”

SJ’s display triggered.

 

Quest – Escort the scouts

Show them the cave's location and the Hobgoblin Village's locality.

Rewards: 300xp

Do you accept the quest? Yes/No

 

“Nice xp boost,” Dave said.

SJ looked at the Mayor thoughtfully for a few moments. “I can escort them to the cave and show them where it is, but what is in it for me?”

The Mayor’s eyebrows raised slightly at the comment. “What do you mean?” he asked.

“If I show you where the cave and the Mithril vein are located, and you can mine it, then the town can make a significant amount of money from what you indicated. Therefore, I could just not show anyone and then mine it myself.”

“You are no miner!” the Mayor exclaimed.

“Not yet. But I could be,” SJ said, looking at the Mayor, blank faced.

The Mayor stood looking back, his eyes narrowing slightly before returning to their usual appearance. “Until we can verify the cavern's contents, we have no idea how much it is worth.”

“And unless I show you where it is, you won’t ever have any idea what it is worth anyway,” SJ said frankly.

“Mithril is highly sought after. The veins in the cavern were high volume. I do not know how much precisely they would be able to mine, but looking at the cavern size, considering the structure of normal Mithril veins and the width of the channels you found, I would expect there to be at least eight tonnes, and that is not considering how wide the vein field is,” Dave said.

The Mayor looked at SJ straight-faced, and she couldn't tell what he was thinking.

Eventually, SJ continued, “What if I said there was nearly, if not over, eight tonnes of Mithril, not including how far the vein actually runs in the surrounding rock."

The straight face the Mayor had been attempting to keep was lost in the statement. “Eight tonnes of Mithril,” he gasped.

“I would guess, if not more, considering the vein width, the only thing I can’t be sure on is the depth and distance the field stretches,” SJ added.

“How do you know?” the Mayor frowned.

“I am a Legionnaire,” she replied, smiling.

The Mayor stayed silent for a few moments. “If the vein is as large as you say,” the Mayor paused as he completed some mental calculations. “How does 1% sound?”

“1% of what?” SJ asked.

“Mined Mithril sales,” the Mayor replied.

“Ask him if he means refined bars or raw ore,” Dave said.

“Refined or raw ore?” SJ asked.

“I am not sure we have anyone in town currently who can smelt and refine the ore,” the Mayor answered.

“I bet Zej can,” Dave said.

“I am sure Zej can refine the ore,” SJ said.

“If we can refine it, I would agree to 1.5%,” Mayor Maxwell replied.

SJ could tell he was used to negotiating contracts. There was no way he would give up on the potential profit the town could make from such a find. They were still standing outside the barracks, and Cristy still held SJ’s hand as she spoke. Tugging on her hand, SJ looked down. “What is it?” she asked.

“I’m hungry,” Cristy said.

SJ smiled at the Gnoll. After what had happened over the last few hours with Patch and the pack, SJ had completely forgotten how young Cristy was. “I am going to get Cristy some food. I will consider your offer and let you know. In the meantime, it should allow you to speak to Shelly and sort out a scouting party. The cave is not going anywhere, so there is no rush.”

The Mayor looked down at the tiny Gnoll, who only just reached the height of his knee. He was so tall in comparison. “Where will you be?” he asked.

“I am going to take Cristy back to the Inn,” SJ replied. “Come on, Cristy. Let’s go and get something to eat.”

Cristy grinned at SJ as her stomach let out a grumbling sound. Her little cheeks coloured, which was a feat for her small fur-covered face. Chuckling, SJ turned back to the Mayor.

“Speak soon,” she said, smiling.

1