Chapter 71 – Charge
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the life left Iratu's eyes, SJ’s display triggered. She didn’t even bother looting the corpse before shrinking and flying back up to the roof of the nearest building. Harrietta started to approach her from the other rooftop, vanishing as she did. SJ read her notifications.

 

Congratulations on killing Iratu the Mad 210xp shared experience earned (105xp awarded)

 

Quest – Vengeance - Updated

You have witnessed the heartache and torment caused by the evil that resides in Amathera. You may seek vengeance on those guilty of crimes against the town.

Kill – Bordon the Brandisher – 1000 xp

Kill – Iratu the Mad – 700 xp - completed

Prevent any further Hobgoblin raids on Killic.

Rewards: 1500 xp, Reputation with Killic, usual level kill experience awards apply.

 

700xp awarded +140xp bonus 840xp total

 

Congratulations on reaching Level 8

You have been awarded the following:

5 hit points

5 mana points

+1 Dexterity

+2 free points to distribute as you wish

 

SJ opened her character sheet.

 

Legionnaire 25007077

Name: SJ

Age: 27

Race: Fae

Class: Assassin

Alignment: Neutral Good

Level: 8

Experience: 882 of 1200

Hit Points: 62 of 62

Mana Points: 45

Armour Class: 15

Attributes:

Strength: 10

Dexterity: 18

Intelligence: 10

Wisdom: 10

Constitution: 12

Charisma: 11

Skills

Racial:

Night Vision – you have improved vision in poor light conditions.

Flight – when in miniature Fae form, you can learn to fly. Flying is not available in humanoid form.

Shapeshift – the ability to switch between Fae forms.

Class:

Martial Arts – Kata Level 6, Clawed Avenger Level 1

Subterfuge – Identification Level 6 – 10 of 100 to level 7, Shroud Level 1

Profession:

Tailor Level 3

Symbiosis:

Dragon Sense – your senses, touch, hearing, smell, and sight are heightened.

Precognition – foreknowledge due to increased perception will allow you to evade a killing blow. (24hr cooldown)

Divine lightning – your blood is combined with that of a Blue, increasing healing speed while out of combat.

Malware: Waiver (Sandboxed)

Inventory: 10 slots (10 special)

Followers: 3

 

In one interaction, she had almost increased two levels. If she could kill Bordon, she would be well on her way to level 10.

“That was amazing. Well done,” Harietta said.

SJ didn’t even flinch this time, “Thanks for the support. I couldn’t have taken him out without your help.”

SJ quickly decided to add two free points to her constitution, increasing her health by the base increase it gave, adding a further 50% per level, now at 14. Her health increased to 68 from its base of 45 at level 8, and she could understand how Bordon may easily have the hit points he had, considering the multipliers.

Looking at the continuing battle, she noticed that the numbers on both sides had begun to decrease. Bodies lay everywhere, and it didn’t appear either side had dedicated healers available. This meant they were seriously limited in their capabilities. Looking out to the main showpiece, Bordon and Jabrey continued their individual fight. SJ could see blood flowing down the side of Bordon, meaning that his invulnerability had been broken. The Borzie appeared to be struggling as Bordon continued to beat on it. SJ watched as Jabrey swung his flail out again at Bordon. Bordon caught the strike on his club and the flail chains wrapped around it. Tugging violently, Jabrey was dragged from his mount as he fought to keep a hold of his weapon.

As Jabrey slipped off his mount and fell on the ground, the Borzie took advantage, now more agile without its rider. It almost instantly charged from no more than ten feet away, and it smashed into Bordon’s legs. Bordon’s cry was heard across the battlefield as his legs were gouged deeply by its tusks. Bordon ripped his club back, dragging the flail from Jabrey’s hand, and with the flail still tangled around his club, he swung it violently at the Borzie. It caught the Borzie on the side of its head, and it staggered from the blow.

Jabrey had sprung back to his feet, and his diminutive form compared to Bordon now appeared with a two-handed sword. He was still considerably taller than others on the field, which Bordon made look like mice in comparison. The Ogre defended himself using his club as a shield, deflecting his vicious blows. It was actually better for Jabrey now that he was unmounted, as Bordon had to defend against two sides. As the battle continued, they exchanged blows, the occasional one finding their way through each defensive move. The Borzie had backed off again and went to charge again as it did. Bordon gripped his club with two hands, swung it down as though using a sledgehammer, and smashed it on the top of its head with his considerable strength.

SJ winced at the blow and saw the Borzie drop on its front legs. It struggled to stand, and Jabrey let out an unearthly scream as he lunged forward, plunging his two-handed sword straight into Bordon’s abdomen. The Ogre bellowed in rage, and SJ saw its form begin to change. Bordon was bleeding from various wounds he had taken, and the sword now plunged into him sent him into a frenzy. Gripping the sword blade in his free hand, he pulled it back out as Jabrey tried to push it deeper. Watching in amazement, SJ watched Bordon’s skin colour begin to change. His grey tones suddenly went red, and it wasn’t due to the blood that he was covered in either.

Bordon swung his club at Jabrey again as the Borzie struggled to get back to its feet, staggering sideways and falling on its side when it did so. SJ had completely forgotten throughout the events to trigger her Identification skill and did as she remembered, focusing on the three in battle.

 

Borzie Mount

Level: 25

Hit Points: 64 of 298

Mana Points: 0

Attacks: Gore

Special: Charge

 

Jabrey Xiquist

Level: 27

Hit Points: 143 of 335

Mana Points: 55

Armour Class: 34

Attacks: Flail/Stab/Slash

Special: Thick Skin

 

Bordon the Brandisher

Level: 23

Hit Points: 211 of 480

Mana Points: 55

Armour Class: 28

Attacks: Bash/Charge

Special: Rage

 

SJ was amazed at the remaining hit points. Each was under half its starting values, and the Borzie was less than a quarter. She was also astounded at Jabrey's level. A level 27 Orc so close to the town. As they continued to fight, she looked across the battlefield and again triggered her skill. Readying herself for the flood of information she would be hit with. As her display triggered, she closed her eyes, allowing the sensation to pass, before opening them again.

 

Orc Warrior x 63

Orc Berserker x 9

Hobgoblin Fighter x 93

Hobgoblin Champion x 4

Hobgoblin Archer x 19

 

Congratulations! Identification Level 7 achieved.

 

She checked her skills quickly.

 

Subterfuge – Identification Level 7 – 98 of 200 to level 8, Shroud Level 1

 

Looking at the remaining numbers, both sides were reduced by half or more, and the battle had raged for a while.

“Look left,” Dave said.

SJ looked left. Her sense hadn’t triggered, and she wasn’t in active combat at the moment, her health replenishing quickly with the influence of the dragon blood. Across towards the valley side, she saw them appearing. The mixture of colours and varying beings meant one thing. The town guard had arrived. Watching, they had begun to descend the valley side. It wasn’t fast due to the issues over traversing the steps and the rockslide that had restricted it, but they were on their way and currently unnoticed by those fighting already.

“Yes,” SJ said excitedly.

“Yes?” Harrietta said questioningly.

“The guards are coming,” SJ said.

“Oh,” Harrietta replied.

Not going to chance her luck until the others arrived, SJ stayed on the rooftop of the building. She had been considering attacking a few stragglers nearer the back, but her health had not recovered fully yet, and she was only a Level 8. As the main fight continued, the guard began to arrive at the valley floor. SJ watched them wait to form into a group before proceeding towards the village.

“I am going to tell them Iratu is dead,” SJ said, taking off and flying straight over towards them as they began to approach. Nothing was looking at her or paying her attention. The combatants were too busy in their fights for survival. Reaching the front of the group, Mayor Maxwell led them with Captain Broadaxe and Lorna at his sides. As she approached, she watched the Mayor begin to transform while Lorna also did. SJ had never seen Lorna in her tigress form, and the size of the tiger alongside the massive bear was a vision of wonder. As the guards got within a hundred metres, they began to run.

SJ reached the Mayor, flying by his side as he lumbered forward at a considerable speed, for his size.

“Iratu is dead,” SJ called.

The Mayor didn’t reply but acknowledged her statement with a nod of his head.

A guard member blew a horn, and the horn's blaring supported the guard's battle cries as they sprinted towards the fight. Many of the orc drums had been silenced by now, and the horn cut across the battlefield, making several heads turn and look at the town's forces as they arrived. As they got within 50 metres of the Orcs and Hobgoblins, a barrage of bolts and arrows began to fly, commencing their parabolic flight towards their targets. As they rained down on those fighting, fresh cries of pain could be heard as several were struck. The town guard must have consisted of nearly 120. Looking at the numbers present. SJ recognised several amongst the group that she knew but also several who were not regular guards from what she could see. Lorna suddenly cut right and aimed her run at a Hob and an Orc fighting, neither expected the flash of orange and black that tore into them. Lorna slashed with her claws and bit with her fangs. Captain Broadaxe wheeled to the left, and a group of guards followed.

“Attack,” he screamed as they reached twenty metres from the main group. At this point, SJ noticed the Mages who had joined them, and they stopped approaching, keeping their distance from the combatants. The first spells began to fly towards the combined enemy forces. The Mayor continued towards Bordon, knocking an Orc flying as he ignored their weak attempted swing, and SJ stayed with him as the others began to join the melee.

As the Mayor roared, closing the gap at Bordon, SJ flew upwards above the battleground, and the Mayor threw himself at the Ogre. He careered into his back Bordon completely unaware of how close he was, SJ was not even sure he knew he was there. His rage had taken over any form of sanity the Ogre may have had as he continued to fight Jabrey. Jabrey was trying to valiantly defend, having dropped his two-handed sword and now holding two short swords, duel-wielding them.

SJ saw a Hob and Orc fighting to one side, dropping to the ground as she grew to her full size. The adrenaline coursed through her as she entered the fray. Her claws were still equipped, and she flew at the Hobgoblin closest to her. The Hob shrieked as her claws pierced its side, and the Orc it had been fighting took advantage, swinging its sword across his enemy's throat. The Hob silenced and fell to the ground. SJ pulled back, immediately shrinking again. She sprinted away and took off again before the Orc could compose itself to attack her.

She repeated the same process several times, picking areas where she could enter and exit the fight easily. She was lucky to escape being struck a few times. Her sudden appearance as she grew and then shrunk took most of her opponents off guard, triggering her shroud skill when she could. It was on the fifth attempt of the same tactic that she was hit. As she had landed, a Hob had thrown an axe and smashed into her shoulder, sending her staggering off balance and rolling to the floor.

Thankfully, its blade had not struck her, but the force of the strike was enough to reduce her by 10 hit points. Wincing from the pain in her shoulder, she sprung back to her feet. Now equipped with a sword, the Hob ran at her as she rose. Throwing her blades up in defence, she parried the strike. The Hob was in a wild frenzy and swung at her backwards and forwards with a slashing motion. She backed away, parrying what she could. Its attack was so ferocious that she couldn’t even consider finding an opening to strike back. That was when she heard the roar and an Orc ran towards her.

Seeing the Orc in her peripheral vision, she tried to step out of its way as it swung its sword.

“Duck,” it screamed.

“Now,” screamed Dave.

SJ instinctively did as she was told, and the Orc’s blade swung over where she had been and connected across the chest of the Hob. The Hob was thrown backwards from the blow, and the Orc stepped over it and plunged its blade into the Hob's chest. That was the moment SJ realised it was Gary.

Another Orc ran towards them, and Gary shouted, “Hargrit, you’re mine,” screaming as he charged at the Orc. SJ quickly looked around, shrinking again and taking off. As she flew over the battlefield, she quickly scanned the unfolding situation. The Orc’s and Hob's numbers were dropping rapidly now the town had arrived. The Mage’s barraged the enemy with spells as she saw the flashes of white from healers. The whole area is bathed in a myriad of colours from the spells. It was absolute mayhem from where she now flew fifty feet above the battle as the three forces battled each other.

SJ watched as Captain Broadaxe severed an Orc’s legs from under it with his great axe and, wearing his shining armour, strode casually with his axe over his shoulder towards his next target. SJ spotted Lythonian, mace and shield in hand, combatting two Orcs simultaneously. Parrying and striking them, wearing them down. Gary fought Hargit. Fran was casting spells from a safer distance. SJ could see the flash of the Zej's warhammer appear above the mass of bodies he was fighting. Lorna fought with a Hob, having switched back to her humanoid form and now performing her martial arts skills for all to see. She was lethal and precise. Many of those she now classed as friends were involved heavily in the battle.

SJ looked at Bordon. His health was down to a quarter now, and Jabrey was not far behind him, limping from a wound he had received to his leg. SJ had never identified the Mayor, so he had no idea what health he had remaining, but he did have a nasty cut on his side. The three monstrous foes stood in a triangle, staring at each other as a brief stand-off took place before Bordon roared and swung for Jabrey. Jabrey ducked, and as he did, the Mayor swiped at Bordon’s leg, tearing a fresh stripe of claw marks across his calf. It was a brutal display of strength and stamina. No foe should be able to withstand the damage that both Bordon and Jabrey had and still be standing. The Borzie was lying on its side. Still, it wasn’t dead, as SJ could see its chest moving, but it was immobile.

SJ spotted Rach as an Orc loomed over her. She had been knocked to the ground, and she held a short sword in front of her body to protect herself. SJ began to swoop down towards them. The Orc brought its sword down, and Rach managed to block it, holding the flat of her blade and its hilt as it pulled back to strike at her again. The next strike went for her head, and again, she managed to block it, but her palm slipped from the blade's handle, and she struggled to move it back up in time as the Orc went to strike again. SJ grew, she was still in the air when she transformed and plummeting the final few feet she crashed into the Orc’s side.

It was not pretty, but it had the desired effect, sending the Orc sprawling and SJ alike onto the ground, the wind knocked out of her. She had taken damage from the impact against the Orc’s solid form and could not position her claws to strike it. It grunted as it went to stand up and, seeing SJ the closest, swung at her missing wildly. It then attempted to strike Rach, who stabbed out with her short sword up and deep into the Orc's midriff. It froze with its arms in the air with a look of confusion on its face before it toppled over.

“Thanks,” Rach said, gasping and standing up.

SJ climbed to her feet and shrunk again, nodding in response. Her breathing laboured from where she had just winded herself. Taking off, she began controlling her breathing until it returned to normal. She was looking for weak areas to strike or people who needed support. Most of the fights seemed to go in the way of the town members, with the Orc and Hob numbers decreasing every minute.

Glancing back at the leaders, she watched as Jabrey was hit in his face by Bordon, sending him sprawling, blood and spit flying from his mouth like a boxer. He fell to one knee, and Bordon immediately swung his club towards the mayor. One of his huge paws was lifted to block the blow. It wasn’t enough, and the club smashed into his foreleg. The Mayor let out a deafening roar of pain, collapsing to the ground, not able to support his body. SJ reacted.

Swooping down, she flew behind Bordon, anger flaring at seeing Zigferd injured. Bordon stood twelve feet tall, and landing to attack would be pointless as she could not strike him easily apart from his legs, so she repeated what she had just done for Rach. This time as she transformed, she ensured she held her claws out perfectly before her, falling at an angle and speeding towards his back. Bordon didn’t see her coming, not expecting anything to attack from the air, and she crashed into his solid form. He only took a slight step from the impact, but her claws dug in deeply, penetrating his muscular form. The impact had felt like hitting a cliff face and she had seriously dazed herself. Now dangling by her claws protruding from his back. Bordon hissed and screamed, beginning to spin and jostle SJ. With breaths coming in gasps and her head reeling from the impact, she found herself in a helpless state. She was flung about like a rag doll until one, then the second claw came free, and she fell heavily to the ground.

Falling squarely onto her face, she rolled onto her back, overwhelmed by weakness, her body battered and bruised. Reduced to a mere quarter of her health by the assault and the fall, she found herself unable to move. Lying prone, her senses spun out of control in the face of imminent danger. With her precognition ability spent and lacking the energy or awareness to evade, she could only watch as Bordon's colossal club descended upon her.

“See you soon,” Dave’s sad words rang in her groggy mind.

1