Chapter 74 – Future Remembrance
51 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wake up, lazy,” Dave said.

“What? Do I have to?” SJ groaned, rolling over in her bed. The festivities of the night before had their resounding effect inside her head.

“Yes. We have things to do and people to see, and you must sew some more gloves. You aren’t even at Level 5 tailoring yet and still need to open your dress starter bonuses. You really are being lazy, you know,” Dave said.

“Lazy! I was in a huge battle yesterday, got kept up until all hours this morning, and now you want me up and sewing, never mind everything else you just mentioned.”

“There we go—you're awake now, aren’t you?” Dave said happily. “May as well get up now, and wow, do you snore badly after you drink?”

“I don’t!” SJ said.

“And you know because? No one has ever mentioned it to you before then?”

“No, never.”

“Maybe they didn’t want to hurt your feelings. You nearly woke the whole town up at one point.”

By this point, SJ was sitting upright in bed, her head throbbing, and she did not want to argue with Dave so early. Grumpily, she climbed from the bed and walked through to wash her face and clean her teeth. Her mouth felt terrible this morning. She needed to speak to Zej when she saw him next because one of the last things she could remember was drinking some of his Dwarven brandy.

“My head,” she moaned.

“You did put it away last night,” Dave said. "It's quite impressive, really. Well, until you fell asleep in your chair and Bert carried you back upstairs to your room.”

SJ realised that she was fully clothed still. After having her bath and a sleep, she woke up early in the evening and went down to the bar where the crowds had already gathered, as they had after the raid and the feast had begun. It had been an emotional evening. The drinks had begun, and the music had started. There was one thing the town knew about what to do well: celebrate the lives of those who were lost. The funerals for the dead were going to be this afternoon, and she had promised she would be in attendance, but before then, she had things to do.

Feeling a little more refreshed, she made her way downstairs. The tables were all back to normal after the previous evening. Looking at Kerys as she walked downstairs, she smiled at her and then frowned deeply. As she walked to the bar, Kerys looked at her, shaking her head.

“Here,” she said, placing a small glass of yellow liquid on the bar. “You look like you need it again,” she smiled, tutting, turning to grab the coffee pot.

SJ downed the liquid, again pulling her face, but within moments, the throbbing disappeared, and she felt right as rain. “Thanks,” SJ replied sheepishly. “I hope I didn’t cause a scene last night. I drank a little too much.”

“No,” Kerys said, laughing. “Once you fell asleep in your chair, I asked Bert to carry you upstairs. Apparently, you were very polite to him, saying how grateful you were, and he was your knight in shining armour.”

SJ’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment. “Did I!?” she exclaimed.

“Ha. Bert has dealt with much more than being given a compliment before. I think you made his night.”

“Urgh. Sorry.”

Kerys placed a large mug of coffee on the bar, and SJ picked it up, savouring the smell.

“Oh. I remember the Mayor asked me to remind you that the meeting is at 1000 hours today at the barracks, and he asked for you to be there.”

“OK. Thanks,” SJ checked her display. It was only 0830, so she had time. “I will grab breakfast, please, if that’s ok.”

“Sure,” Kerys said as she walked to the kitchen.

After eating breakfast, SJ headed over to the meadow. She hadn’t been in a few days and enjoyed spending some time doing her katas before walking over to the barracks. As she walked through the town, most people passed pleasantries with her, and compared to the initial arrival when she had walked through unnoticed, everyone now seemed to smile politely or nod their heads in recognition.

Reaching the barracks, she walked in and was ushered upstairs by the usual old Orc on the desk. The Mayor was sitting in his office, and she walked through to see him.

“Morning, Mayor,” she said on arriving at his door.

“I really wish you would call me Zigferd. You don’t work for the town,” he replied, smiling at her.

“Zigferd. How are you this morning?” she asked.

“I will be happier when today is over and we properly say goodbye to our friends. How’s your head?”

SJ blushed. “Fine, thanks. Kerys fixed me up with something to help.”

“Ahhh. Yes. I have had some of that myself before. It was wonderful stuff. I have told her she should sell it, but she won’t.”

“I bet she would make a lot of money if she did. Drink until you drop, then top up and go again. I can’t believe how well it makes you feel.”

“Ha,” Zigferd chuckled. “Anyway, we need to talk. You mentioned yesterday that you had things to discuss.”

“Yes, I do,” SJ replied as she began to relay the details she was now aware of from her map opening. Zigferd listened intently and looked at his own maps and those he had drawn, marking out the new border areas that potentially existed.

“This is concerning,” Zigferd said.

“I know, and I think I may have triggered it.”

“You aren’t the System. We all live under its remit. If it is changing things, then we must adapt.”

“How? Many in the town are at a low level?”

“Yes, but now they can level higher with the open borders. We can train and increase beyond our previous limits and still have our town as our central point without moving territories to progress. I am only the level I am because I moved here from other territories and had given up the chase on levelling further. If the system changes the rules, then we must always adapt. Amathera is not an easy land for many to live in.”

“I have heard that, and I thought many didn’t want to level beyond the territory boundaries?”

“Some won’t, but with the expansion of the borders, many will have little choice. Some will pursue basic progression without forcing themselves to level through training as the level cap has risen. Others will take the opportunity that is presented.”

“How will you go about it?”

“I will add it to the agenda for the meeting today.”

As the Major finished speaking, the Mages announcements filled the building.

“TODAY’S SERVICE WILL BE HELD OUTSIDE, IN THE CHURCH GROUNDS, TO SAY GOODBYE TO OUR FALLEN HEROES. IT WILL COMMENCE AT 1400 HOURS, PLEASE BE PROMPT.”

SJ sat silently after the message finished. The fact that they would be burying twelve of the town today was a horrendous thought.

“I am so sorry for the town’s losses,” she eventually said.

“You have nothing to be sorry for. The conflict had been happening for months. If anything, you emphasised dealing with it once and for all. That alone will hopefully save many future lives.”

“It doesn’t feel like it. It only feels as though things have gotten worse since I arrived.”

“No. They have improved. Let me explain. You were present in the meeting when I mentioned the town’s finances and its ability to sustain its continuing growth. If you had not discovered the potential Mithril, I am not sure what we were going to do. We rarely receive Legionnaires, and considering what you have described, I am not surprised, as I think the System is only allowing a few to experience the changes.”

SJ was amazed at the Mayor’s understanding of the System.

“If it is Mithril vein that you have discovered, which I believe it is. However, Orik still won’t believe it until he sees it being such the stubborn old goat that he is. We will be able to provide the income to allow for expansion and improve the current living conditions for some of the town's members. I am sure you have noticed that not everywhere is as well off as other areas. We have tried our best to provide for all, but it has been challenging.”

The information the Mayor shared did ease SJ’s mind slightly, but she still felt foreboding uncertainty about the changes.

“The priority after today will be to confirm the mine. Then, we can start to plan and implement the next steps. It will take time, but I plan to expand our borders to the village in the valley. That would mean it would become our first line of defence against intruders entering the area. It also allows us to use the natural defences of the valley wall. We wished we had done this sooner, but no one ever expected Bordon to arrive in the village and by the time he did, it was too late. The main benefit will be ensuring better defences to our west, as some of the territories in that direction are quite severe. The Northern route running through the crags to Asterfal is a much calmer area, and I wouldn’t expect many issues, but again, I think I will consider pushing out to the crags to provide a border guard.

Then, once the village and the crags are fully secured, we can expand within those areas, develop new buildings, and even build a mine and bring in outside facilities to allow for growth. The mine will make money, but several invest in mining operations, especially within the Dwarven factions. This would be long-term, though, and not something that would be done until everything was established. We would not want to advertise the mine until we have protective measures.”

The considerations that the Mayor had already taken impressed SJ. She had never been one for town building in games, preferring the crafting side and personal growth instead.

“It sounds like you have everything worked out already.”

“Not everything, and there will be a lot of hurdles along the way. Expanding the town's borders will take time due to the requirements. Financially, we will be tied until we can start to sell the Mithril.”

“Could I not help with that?”

“How would you be able to help?” Zigferd asked, tilting his head.

“If you didn’t want the town’s name associated with trade, I could do it on the town’s behalf. I am sure I am likely to draw less attention as a Legionnaire.”

“Perhaps. But anyone of our level suddenly starts selling or trading in Mithril would cause questions whatever happens. The lowest-level territories Mithril is normally found in are above level 50.”

“I am sure something can be planned. Also, when you have time, I wanted to speak to you about the potential percentage earnings from the mine.”

“Of course, but we now must go upstairs to the meeting. If you will accompany me,” Zigferd said, standing.

SJ stood and followed the Mayor upstairs to the council meeting chamber. The same representatives were there, along with a few SJ had not seen before. One was a female Dwarf who stood wearing a leather apron. She looked out of place compared to the others and sat in what SJ would deem smart attire.

SJ stood next to her. “Hi,” she said, smiling.

“Hello. You are the one who has had me dragged from the mine?” she said.

“Oh. You must be Shelly. Hi. I am SJ.”

SJ held out her hand, and Shelly took it. Her hand was like a vice as she smiled at her.

SJ flexed her hand on letting go to return its feeling. “I still don’t know why I am here. I was told Orik wanted me to be present. We were supposed to start a new tunnel today, which will be delayed now.”

“Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised,” SJ replied.

As the Mayor took his place at the top of the table, the conversations began to die off until they all turned to listen to him.

“Thank you all for coming today. We don’t have long as we all still require to be ready for this afternoon’s farewell to our fallen.”

Several around the table nodded, and one of the Elven representatives wiped a tear from his eye.

“I have a few issues to address and then some new information to cover, which was not on the agenda. Firstly, I would like to thank SJ for what she has done for the town since her arrival.”

SJ’s cheeks flushed with embarrassment as everyone around the table turned to look at her, smiling, and several clapped in appreciation. She had never felt so embarrassed before.

“Thank you,” she stammered.

“Now, the next point. Orik, I see you brought Shelly today. Would you like to explain why she is here?”

Orik grumbled into his beard and began to speak as Shelly whispered under her breath, “Brought me. I was ordered to be here, or he would find a new lead at the mine. Miserable old goat he is.”

SJ had to stifle a laugh at her comment.

“Yes. Shelly will investigate this preposterous proposition that Mithril is in the area,” Orik said.

Shelly’s mouth dropped open. “What?” she said much louder than she meant, and it was her time to turn beetroot as everyone turned to look at her. “Sorry,” she blurted.

Orik glared across the table at her where she stood.

Zigferd continued since it appeared that was all Orik would say on the matter. “You haven’t briefed Shelly, I see. SJ here believes that there is a Mithril vein towards the West Valley. We know the cave's location but require it to be excavated to confirm that it is Mithril. Due to this, Shelly, we will require your assistance to open the tunnel and check. I assume that will be ok?” Zigferd said, looking at Orik, who again grumbled, not replying.

Shelly couldn’t help herself. “You really think we have a Mithril vein,” she said, her eyes still wide in amazement, turning to SJ.

“Yes. It is Mithril,” SJ replied, smiling.

“This is the news any Dwarf dreams of. Where is the location? I need to go and check,” Shelly said excitedly.

“There is enough time, Shelly; do not worry,” the Mayor replied, chuckling at her enthusiasm. "I remember when you used to be like that, Orik,” he finished as several around the table chuckled, and Orik’s frown deepened.

The meeting continued, and many other aspects were discussed before they reached the topic of expansion. Some gasped and looked concerned as soon as it was mentioned, while others looked excited at the opportunities it may bring. SJ didn’t speak again while listening and taking in the discussions. As her display showed her that it was approaching 1300, the Mayor suddenly stood.

“Dear All, Thank you for attending, but we must close for now. We can continue tomorrow if necessary.”

Several muttered it was necessary, and Zigferd confirmed they would reconvene again at 10:00 the next day.

SJ left the room with Shelly chattering away at her, trying to get the details of the mine and what she had seen. She explained everything she knew as she walked out of the barracks. Shelly was thrilled with the information and couldn’t wait to investigate. Shelly was apparently staying at the Inn in town, as she usually lived at the mine. Apparently, they had accommodation there as the mine had been there for many years.

As they returned to the Inn, SJ made her excuses and went upstairs to freshen up before attending the service.

When SJ arrived, the churchyard was beautiful. The altar and pews had been brought outside, and they must have spent all morning preparing for the service. The surrounding grounds were perfect. The grass looked as though it had been freshly mown. Not a blade of grass appeared out of place. SJ wondered how they did such things so efficiently until she noticed a Dryad standing by a flowerpot in the background.

“Earth magic,” Dave said.

SJ watched in amazement as flowers began to sprout from the pot. Picking it up, she handed it to the old Gnome that SJ had come to recognise as the lead chorister and placed it by the altar. SJ had arrived quite early, and just before the service was due to start, it appeared that the whole town was present. She noticed Kerys, Fhyliss, and Bert standing at the back and politely nodded to them. They nodded back in acknowledgement, and not long after, the service began.

Thankfully, SJ was not at the front this time, as she had been with Cristy and didn’t feel as exposed. The service was again a poignant and moving affair. Stories of heroism were given to those who had fallen, immortalising them in the memories of those in attendance.

Eventually, they moved over to the graveyard to lay the fallen to rest. It lasted three hours filled with the heartfelt renditions offered by so many. It was the largest single tragedy the town had ever suffered. All those in attendance felt the sorrow.

Once the funerals were concluded, everyone began to make their way back to the Inn. On arriving at the Inn, the town square had been transformed. Tables and chairs were all laid outside, and the Inn doors were wide open, extending what the Inn could manage to hold.

SJ found Kerys inside, busying away as the crowds began to arrive. “Do you need a hand today?” she asked.

Kerys turned and smiled broadly at her. “That would be great if you are able. Have you ever poured tankards before?” Kerys asked.

“Yes,” SJ replied. During her university days, she used to work in a bar to earn extra money to cover her living expenses, and she soon felt at home working behind the bar as the crowds picked up. The Bard, who she still didn’t know his name had a small stage setup outside and performed from it, the sun shone brightly, and his renditions brought tears and joy as the afternoon became the evening. By the time the Inn began to eventually clear, it was past midnight.

“Thanks for your help today,” Kerys said, smiling at SJ.

“It was a worthy cause,” SJ replied as she went upstairs to bed. It had been an emotionally draining day, and SJ now felt exhausted. Walking upstairs and entering her room, she collapsed on her bed, it didn’t take her long to fall into a deep sleep.

2