Volume 01 Chapter 01 It Was An Exile Drama Called Pioneering.
117 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grace, your assigned territory has been decided, it's the land of Asgard, the farthest reaches. You better pack up quickly and get going."

"What, such a frontier land... isn't that the barren land once ruled by the mad king? That's too much, Father!!"

Called to the throne, my father's first words after five years were these. My voice filled with grief, and my two brothers standing behind Father also twisted their lips and chuckled.

"It can't be helped, Grace. You're just a 'knowledge fool' who only knows how to talk, unlike me who can't use swordsmanship like Kyle or magic. "

"After all, you're just a son of a mistress... Honestly, because of someone like you, our standards have lowered," Georg, the eldest brother, spoke first. He possesses the skill of 'Sword Saint,' which allows him to use all sword techniques, and is said to be the best swordsman in the country. And, the second son, Kyle, who laughed at me being a son of a mistress. He possesses the skill of 'Magic Saint,' which allows him to use magic of all attributes, and is said to be the best magician in the country.

Both of them are renowned as candidates for the next king unlike me. In this country where power is everything, my treatment without combat abilities is quite harsh, and being ridiculed like this is part of my daily life.

"Georg was already your age when he went to the battlefield and took the enemy general's head. Kyle was also your age when he developed new magic. So... Grace, what have you been doing all this time?"

"Well... I have been improving the hoe. Look, traditionally, by adding metal to this wooden part, the strength and..."

"Nonsense!!"

At the sound of the angry voice echoing throughout the room, I inadvertently dropped the hoe I had brought, and the sound of metal hitting the ground resonated.

"That's not something royalty should do, it's something for commoners. We, the royal family, must become strong enough to be feared by the people!!"

"But, my skill 'World Library' doesn't have any combat ability, instead, I pride myself on having more knowledge than anyone else."

"Then use that knowledge to learn swordsmanship or magic, can't you?"

"Well..."

I couldn't argue with Father's words. What my skill, 'World Library,' teaches me is just knowledge. Because of my weak body, I couldn't master the sword, and I couldn't use magic because of my low magical power.

Even so, my father used to be kind to me, and my brothers used to treat me normally. Although my body was weak, I had a good memory, and everyone expected me to become a magician surpassing my second brother, Kyle.

However, as I grew older, I realized that while my knowledge increased, my magical power did not, and my skill was a non-combat skill called 'World Library,' and my value became worthless. Since then, I have been called a 'knowledge fool who only knows how to talk,' my father ignored me, and my brothers continued to ridicule me.

Still, because I had memories of living as a family in the past, I tried to appeal that I could be useful in this country by studying a lot and utilizing knowledge. But...

"What's the use of a 'knowledge fool' like you? If there are no crops, we can just take them from other countries, if the technology of the vassal states improves, we can absorb it. This world is all about power. Power is everything!! It makes me sick to think that an incompetent like you shares our blood."

"Ahh..."

With that single word, my hoe was shattered by Father's magic. The fruit of my efforts was destroyed before seeing the light of day.

Yes, in this country, power is everything. If something is lacking, it can be taken from other countries. Our country has developed in this way. Therefore, military officials are far more favored than civil officials, and the necessary power for the royal family is not knowledge but military force.

"Well, it's okay. It's the end of seeing an incompetent like you. Just go and pioneer Asgard using your knowledge. Don't come back until people can live there."

Father spat out these words as he left the room holding the shattered hoe in his hand, as if there was nothing more to say...

"Well, isn't it good? You can pioneer using your knowledge, can't you? Well, with so many monsters there, having such a hoe would only make you bait."

"Hahaha, don't say such cruel things, brother. Well, from now on, let's get along just the two of us brothers. It seems the nuisance is gone too."

With that, the two brothers also left. That's why I didn't realize... that while pretending to be downcast, I was smiling cunningly...

Exiled from the royal capital under the guise of pioneering, about a week had passed. The scenery around had changed considerably. The ground was poorly managed, causing frequent tremors, and the size of the city was dwindling.

"Well, we're almost at Asgard..."

"Heh heh heh, I've been to many places, but Asgard is a first for me. Although I did visit a nearby town."

Responding to my muttered words was a man resembling soil with chestnut-colored hair and a bearded face, in his late thirties by human standards, a dwarf named Bowman.

Dwarves, a race smaller and stockier than humans, were adept craftsmen who enjoyed creating things. He was no exception, currently tinkering with metal while chatting with me.

"By the way, was it really a good idea for you to come with me? You won't easily become the kingdom's official blacksmith, will you?"

"Hmph, that king is no good. All he ever says is 'make weapons,' and if you try to do something new, he gets mad and tells you not to do anything extra. Remember when he destroyed the hoe made based on the monk's idea without even listening to the explanation?"

"Yeah, that's right... Damn, thinking about it now still annoys me. There was no need to destroy it..."

As I recalled that incident and fumed, a female voice came from the direction of the driver's seat.

"Hey Bowman, instead of tinkering with that scrap iron, it's about time you switched with me. My butt's starting to hurt."

"I can't help it, this poor little girl..."

"Who's poor little girl? I'll burn your beard, you know."

"Oh, scary, scary. Youngsters these days..."

With such banter, Bowman swapped with me and a lightly armored girl with long aqua-colored hair approached. She had slanted, beautiful eyes. If she dressed more femininely and walked through the city, she might attract quite a bit of attention. That's assuming she remained silent though...

"So... what's Asgard like? Nobody else followed us except us, so it must be a pretty awful place, right? Or maybe it's just that you lack popularity?"

"Shut up. I know I lack popularity!! Besides, I'm technically royalty!! Use some respect, will you?"

"What are you saying? We've known each other since we were kids. Besides, I was once a royal knight of the kingdom. I'm somewhat important too. And yet, you should be grateful that I came with you."

"No, I only invited Bowman... You just tagged along..."

"Huh? Did you say something?"

"Yikes... The strongest royal knight, Lady Vigna, is also here. I'm really glad—sob, sob, it's so moving."

"Hehe, just understand it. So, what's Asgard like?"

With a proud smile at my words, Vigna asked me again. Since she was so interested, I decided to use my skill. In my mind, I imagined countless bookshelves.

"World Library, disclose information about Asgard."

"Understood, I will provide information on the overview."

In response to my words, there was a reply in my mind, and information flowed in. This was my skill, the "World Library." If I had previously researched Asgard and stored it as knowledge, I could obtain related information and access it at any time.

And the power of the World Library didn't stop there. Well, I'll explain that later.

"Asgard was once ruled by the Mad King Souzy. He appeared suddenly, using magic to summon flying masses of iron and exploding masses of iron, and he created a nation by dominating this land."

"Oh, I've heard of the Mad King Souzy. He could create various things, but he never explained how he made them, right? And his kingdom collapsed shortly after he died, didn't it?"

"Yeah, ultimately, nobody inherited his skills. With Souzy gone, the nation rapidly lost its power and perished. Well, that's not so bad, but there's more to it. In that country, there was a golem. That golem possessed great power and apparently slaughtered intruders indiscriminately. So, eventually, nobody came to that place anymore. Instead of people, monsters started gathering, earning it the name 'Land of the Farthest End.'"

"Hmm, I'd like to fight that golem a bit."

Vigna's eyes sparkled at my words. Wait, did she hear what I said? It's definitely dangerous... And besides, the golem doesn't move indefinitely. Without magic, it couldn't move forever.

And for the past few decades, there have been no rumors about the golem. It's probably stopped functioning somewhere.

"But Grace, do you really need to pioneer such a place? I mean, it's about you, isn't it? The kings probably..."

"They probably mean for the incompetent to die here. Nobody believes I can really pioneer anything."

At my words, Vigna's face fell sadly. Oh, please don't look like that. My father hardly talks to me, and my brothers just mock me for being powerless. It's not shocking. I had prepared myself for being sent to the border someday. I didn't think it would be such a dangerous place, though...

"In that case, why not run away? You shouldn't care about those who mock you. With me and Bowman, you won't have trouble getting food, and you could earn enough to live comfortably."

She looked at me with serious eyes. Maybe she had been thinking about it since it was decided that I would be sent to Asgard for pioneering.

That's why I looked her straight in the eye and conveyed my answer.

"I can't do that. I was raised as a prince, even if I'm treated like trash. I've been fed and educated with the people's money and taught. I have a duty to repay that kindness. Besides, if I could find and master Souzy's relics, I could gain powerful technological capabilities."

Half of my words were bravado. But with my skill, the "World Library," if I could use Souzy's relics, I was counting on it. And Souzy's relics weren't just weapons.

"Hmm, you really are an idiot... But, well, I don't hate that about you."

"And... without a stubborn father or sarcastic brothers! Here, I'm at the top. I can do whatever I want here! Who's the one with superficial knowledge, huh? Those idiots who only believe in power will beg 'Lady Grace, please help us' and cry. Be happy, Bowman! Your inventions are also free! I'll even allow explosions up to three times a day!"

"Ah, as expected of Grace. You understand, huh. I've brought lots of materials from the castle for that purpose. Explosions are forbidden there, after all."

"You two... I feel silly worrying about you, but I guess that's more like you. But, I guess I'll be looking forward to it. For that, I'm here with you."

As she said that while looking at us with a warm gaze, Bowman stared at us with a warm gaze. Even though we were exiled, as long as I had these guys with me, I could go anywhere. That's what I felt.

As we

laughed happily, she said in disbelief, but her eyes seemed happy somewhere. Now might be a good time to say what I think.

"Vigna... thank you. Honestly, I felt lonely with just Bowman and me."

"W-what are you saying all of a sudden... Humph, you should be grateful to me!!"

As she said that and turned away, Vigna's face was bright red, but I'm sure mine was too.

Bowman, watching us, had a warm look in his eyes. We may have been exiled, but with these guys, we could go anywhere.

0