2 – Through scarlet eyes
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

13th April 1951 - Jake, Leeds

I brush my inky black hair as I stare at the mirror in frustration.

Why's my hair so stubborn?

It shows my personality perfectly. Great, now I look and feel terrible. I pout as the image in the mirror mimics my action.

"You know you look like a clown Jake?" I snarl at the mirror, wishing my unruly locks would just obey.

Scarlet eyes meet their scarlet reflection. I suffer from a condition called 'Ocular Albinism' which gives my eyes their red hue if you're wondering.

I never understood the reason behind it, but I wish I didn't have it. I've been teased and bullied a lot about it in the past, making me used to names like 'red-eyed monster' or 'alien'.

Aren't aliens supposed to be green?

Why don't they call green-eyed people aliens? Life's unfair, especially when it comes it school. Tsk, I had to stay up all night completing my homework for the cranky, terrible excuse of a human being Mr Popeye.

Yeah, he did provide us a week to complete one exercise of math problems, but that doesn't change the fact that he's an annoying old fogey.

I'm a big boy now, in a very high class - fourth grade.

The studies man, they exhaust me.

I throw on a pair of black jeans and a sky blue hoodie - my favourite colour and head downstairs.

My hair still resembles a bird's nest, but I'm going to run late at this point. Not to mention, Emily's been screaming for god-knows-how-long for me to hurry the heck up.

Ooo, I learnt that word from the older kids. Makes me sound cool and sassy.

Emily glances up from her food and chortles blatantly.

"You look like an idiot.. oh my god." Her little giggles turn into degrading laughter as I narrow my eyes.

I got that when I looked in the mirror this morning, my sweet little angel of a sister.

I roll my eyes in response and her convulsions turn into soft chuckles as I seat myself at the big dining table. Christ, was this place built for giants?

Dad emerges from the kitchen, beaming at us with his perfect white teeth.

I wish my teeth were like his, mine are so sharp and prominent that they are capable of cutting glass. I once bit my tongue accidentally and had to be sent to the ER- Okay I'm joking.

However, my tongue was bleeding profusely and it hurt for months when spice touched it.

Emily smirks smugly for heaven-knows what reason, maybe she's pleased with the fact that she's better looking than me.

I scoff inwardly, my appearance would be better if my hair wasn't such a mess all the time. Don't even get started on my scar. That's another reason why I'm called the red-eyed monster at school.

I grunt at the thought, stupid bullies. At least I have Yasmin.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was five, so that's the reason why my mind wanders like a lost kid in a crowded carnival. One moment, fish are stuck in my deepest thoughts and the other moment politics is plaguing my mind. I don't even understand one-third of politics.

Dad snaps his long, beautifully plain-manicured fingers in front of my face, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Eat up kiddo, or else you're going to be late!" He scolds, making me lower my head and quietly start on my pancakes, which somehow never grow cold. I sometimes wonder if they're made of plastic. You can never trust these chefs.. who knows when they might poison you.

God, I can't even pay attention to eating. This disorder is gonna be the death of me.

The pancakes taste mighty fine though.

Focus Jake, focus.

Dad joins us at the table with a steaming cup of coffee. I once requested the cook for coffee instead of milk before I was rudely interrupted by mum as she put off my request by blabbering, 'Oh coffee's not for KIDS Jake!'

Excuse me? KID? ME?

Heck no. Kids don't have the word 'heck' in their dictionary.

I finish my breakfast, eyeing Dad's cup enviously. One day, I'll be the older one, just wait and see.

For now, I pack my bag with my lunchbox and settle in the school bus that had been waiting for the past ten minutes for us.

I stare out the window, drinking in the scenery - spring has blossomed and painted a beautiful landscape over Leeds.

Today would be like any other day - Irritating teachers, gossiping about random things with Yasmin, and bearing Jason's bullying - however he's been absent for a few days, I heard he caught a cold.

Heh, karma.

Even if he is present, I have my bestie to come to my rescue. I occasionally wonder if I'm a weakling for needing a girl's aid, but Yasmin never made me feel that way.

I love her.. platonically. 

0