Chapter 2 Preparations
224 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some more small talk, Urghat and Ylaya visited Alice's room.

Take whatever you fancy. Since we do it mostly natural since Liz agreed, we haven't used them yet.” Alice says.

You might want to watch out. Some of the toys here are optimized for mimics. I don't know much of the practices of your races but we are relatively flexible down below. It is for us kinda necessary as most of us have different natural forms and not everyone has a form that is suitable for their partner. So over the generations, we women grew more flexible. Alice can maybe help you to find some that are suitable for you. Vasili wanted me to warn you. He doesn't want to treat some injured genitals even if they are from young women.” Liz added.

Together the orc and the elf picked out some rather spicy choices. Soon after they left.

Soon after a 'happy' night, it was morning once again.

Following their plan they were on their way to Tiana Trading Station. It was located in the middle of neutral space between the elves, orcs, dwarves and mimics. The proud mimics and elves only seldom visited it but still used it for diplomatic discussions. Orcs and dwarves frequented it for trading and business. The members of the crew believed that if the other races tasted some good alcohol they would also come there more often. Well maybe not the elves. Why would they poison themselves with things made by other races.

We will reach the station in about 20 hours. I will leave the ship with only some of us. I'm sorry but I can only take some of the orcs and dwarves with me.” Gindor started. “The others would draw to much attention. When we are out in space we have to remember. Even though we are strong individually with all of us being Beta grade or above we have to remain cautious. We are only 12 and have only one ship. We also don't have any reliable allies. This will be a good practice for when we are away from known space.

We will only leave as 5 with a shuttle. The ship will stay at a bit of distance. We have quite the uncommon ship design. Should a ship come near ours and not react to a note to stay away gauge how dangerous it would be. Then notify us and either flee, board or destroy it. We are in neutral space. As long as we can show that we have warned them at least once and they haven't reacted we are allowed to attack and protect ourselves.

We will try to obtain some more meat as requested. We will also stock up on some materials for the ship. I don't want to strand in dead space because we haven't bought any. I will also get some spare parts for the suits. Maybe Alice and Amy can work on a more generalized outfit for our crew? That way we could share some parts and free some storage space. Does everyone have some spare parts for weapons? Does anyone need some parts for armors?”

Alice agreed, “We always have some spare parts but I'd rather be a bit more prepared than to less. Making a new suit would be quite the challenge. But I'm up for it. It would take longer than we intend to stay here. If you get some of the materials we already have in the suits it would make it easier and we wouldn't have to come back here for more. ”

Amy said, “I will leave the fine-tuning to Alice but I can certainly help with the design and the metal composition.

I think Albert agrees on me with that but it would be good if we had some more energy weapons. While mass accelerators are effective they will run out of ammunition sooner or later. We would also want to try out some combinations of both like railguns. Those would only need a slug of metal as ammunition. I would think that we could load enough power-packs with our generator.” Albert the probably quietest crew member nodded to the proposition.

Garuna added, “Some disposable energy packs would also be nice for grenades. And if I have to limit my use of normal weapons, I'd at least like a plasma gun. Some reusable positron darts would also be a big help.”

Vasili cut in, “Disruption darts would be better for normal use. But having some positron darts as backup could be good. But we need to have them somewhere really safe. I don't want to have our ship or one of you blow up.

Treating heavy radiation wounds is always nasty. If you even survive it.

I have everything I need for the biofarm and the infirmary and research section.”

A heat knife for everyone of us could be useful. Seeing as not everyone of us has one. We should also stock up on some first aid sprays. We have used some of them on our last mission. Liz do you have a weapon for actual combat? I haven't seen one on you.” Gorshak added the practical words of a warrior.

As Liz thought about it she suddenly found a version of daemon's sword in her hand. It had the same style but was not as broad. “I guess that means I have one. I thought I had lost it when I teleported to Gladius Prime.” She understood some parts of the sword in her hand as if it was connected to her. Well it basically is, she thought. She knew how to call it forth and how to send it back. She didn't understood how it worked but that it worked. She also got an idea of the basic traits of the sword. For one it would weaken the resistances of the target it cuts into but also apply some rather nasty curse. She didn't understand what the curse does but knew that she wouldn't want to try it out on one of her crew-mates.

Anything else you want to add? Urghat? Ylaya?Delilah?” Gindor asks while Liz fell in a daze over the sword.

I don't need anything currently.” Ylaya answered.

I would want to go with you and search for some shamanistic utensils that I can use.” Urghat requested.

Delilah added, “Get me something handy and silent, if you want me to use a energy weapon. We could also use a warp map for the area and anything outside. While our sensors are good a proper map could help a lot.”

Ok, we will go as 5. On the station we will then split up. I will go with Amy to get the materials and the map. While the orcs will look for the food and other miscellaneous things we might need. Then we will meet up again and look for weapons.”

One by one they leave the mess. When only a few of them are left Vasili asks, “Alice and Liz would you come with me to the laboratory? I would like to talk with you about some specifics of your race.”

Sure we don't have much else to do for now.” Liz answered after sharing a look with Alice.

Alaron and Delilah also joined in after asking whether it was ok.


In the laboratory Vasili starts, "I can understand why not many of you go into biology and your race isn't good with it. When comparing your genome they are completely different but somehow similar. You don't have the same number of chromosomes. They aren't even in similar shapes.

Let me explain. This was common knowledge on Earth, our home-planet. We humans have the same amount of pairs of chromosomes. The orcs, elves and dwarves are the same. We call the complete set DNA. When mating, we combine cells that have only one half of the pairs. Our offspring then has one half of each. The dominant genes then show in hair color, etc. Psionics is a recessive part of one of the chromosomes. It needs to be handed down by both parents. That's why some children of non-psionic parents have them.

Now as i said yours are different. I don't know what caused it but yours are completely different. Do you have any idea why that could be?"

"I don't know why but maybe we can help a bit. In the Empire every citizen is required to carry something called a 'gene-card'. It notes down our forms, the number of possible forms and our gene set. It is for identification. While most people with similar natural forms have similar genomes they are unique. That was the way our ancestors countered the problem of criminals vanishing by changing forms.

After birth we can already check which genes are the most compatible for strong children. We will then be assigned a fiancee. Normally it is between children of the same year. That was where I was unlucky." Alice gripped Liz' hand while continuing to explain. "In the recent years some nobles have bought themselves in when the 'commoners' have their partners chosen. Just like that i was assigned to an old fart who abuses his wife. Yes, multiple ones. Nowadays it isn't common anymore to have fiancees since birth. Noe everything is about how many forms one can have and how strong their base form is.

Later at the coming of age ceremony, we get our natural forms and are given our number of forms we can learn or assimilate. That was where Liz got unlucky. She got a humanoid form at Gamma grade. That was a shock for her family but they were truly disappointed when they learned that she could only learn one other form. I'm thankful for it but her world broke apart when she was shunned by family and left by her fiancee. You might think now that Gamma grade isn't bad as base. But you have to remember that most enhancing means are useless to us.

With recent advances in technology the phenomenon of the other forms was explored a bit. We actually have some empty spots at our first chromosome. Some can have more information stored in it some have less."

"I had already seen that one of your chromosomes is enlarged and that yours is bigger than Liz'. So it is for storing information of forms. May i ask how many forms you can have and what amount is normal?"

"I can have 4. Normal would be 3. The most i have heard of was 10."

"Another question that may be a bit personal. You mentioned that similar natural forms have similar genes. But you seem to have similar forms but yours are completely different. Do you have any idea why it is that way?"

"Since early on I have learned this form. It is not my normal form. It had taken a long time to understand a new form and to implement it. It is much more time intensive than assimilating one. My natural form is psionically strong enough to put a strain on the mind of people around me that aren't able to block Beta grade psionics permanently. And those are only the emissions. It is also not easy to look at. It somehow distracts the mind." Suddenly Liz poked Alice in the side.

She said, "You know you should show it to me sometime later. I will also show you my other form."

"Yeah let's do that. Where was I? I can at least say that my natural form isn't humanoid. Because of that of course our genes don't match."

"Now i need some more private talk with you two. Delilah, Alaron could you please leave for a moment?"

"Let's start like this. Liz could you show me your gene-card? I believe your genes are recorded on it?"

"Yes here. But you know looking at a gene-card isn't something that would require that much privacy."

"You misunderstand. Your genome has completely changed. I believe it is because of your ritual when assimilating the daemon. I can't say what effects it has outside of strengthening your natural form. May I make another x-ray?"

"Yeah of course."

1 x-ray scan later, Vasili has two holograms in front of him. "I had my suspicions. Your genes even after taking a probe have been slightly changing until today morning. It seems your body also went through a qualitative change. Good thing is that it was mostly positive from what i can see. Healed scars and old injuries, denser muscles and stronger tissue to protect inner organs.

I believe your changes have now settled in and there won't be many changes in the future anymore.”

“Seems to be an unrecorded but expected effect of the ritual. But since it is only used by the traditionalists it isn't much researched.” Alice mused. “We'll be leaving for the training hall.”

“Sure I'll look some more into the changes. If I find something I'll let you know.”


While going to the hall they notified Lance. “Can you reserve a part of the hall for us? It has to be able to block any psionics that could scatter.”

“Sure, I just need to know for how long you need it. I have to notify the others to clear the hall.”

“Maybe 1 hour at most. We aren't really going to train. It is more of a checking of power.”

“They say they are leaving now but they want to watch over camera if that is okay.”

“Yeah its better if they know our capabilities.”

In the training room, Alice shoves Liz to transform first. She didn't know how affected Liz ould be so she'd rather play it safe.

“ I just need you to go back like 3 m.”

When Liz transforms, Alice gasps. “Isn't that the monster the Empire makes propaganda with? I have seen an advertisement. The monster stood in front of the dumb prince. The Prince tried to dissuade it but it didn't step back. Then the Prince attacked and the monster suddenly shrunk and disappeared.”

“Seems like when he wanted to capture me. Just a new audio over it, some editing and done. I think the legion won't let him get away with that. I rather believe he will convert to the traditionalists soon. I have left the real audio with them.” It was surprisingly easy to talk in that form for Liz. After she finished talking a resounding laughter came from her and Alice joined in.

“Well, he was never the most intelligent. Why else would he have left you. Not that I'm complaining. I want you to make a sign when you are effected by my other form, ok?”

“Ok”

Alice stepped back another 5 steps. She then started to float and turned into a blue thing. “Lance can you cut the footage for a second? So, Liz how is it?”

“It is beautiful. Blue like the sea.”

“You can see my true form and aren't affected? Can you describe it I can't see much of it.”

“Hmm how to describe it. It looks like a small and quite cute dragon but with butterfly wings. I would say it belongs the the fae-kind. You actually have a huge amount of smoke around you that obscured your form a bit making it look more ethereal. You are so small that should you sit on my shoulder you wouldn't be seen.”

“Wait so I am floating in the air without my wings? I had imagined it to be some kind of eldritch creature that looked ugly. They called my natural form eldritch being on my gene card. They also categorized me as a level 0 Psyker. That was also why all of the mimics I met after the legion wanted to have me in their families. Alone having the chance to inherit a level 0 natural form in the family is hard to resist. You know should you have returned to the Empire you would have been treated the same after updating your gene-card.”

“Then I am happy that I left with you. You know gene-cards are only keepsakes from now on. We will never need them again. But they can remind us that we are free now.”

I am happy as well that you are here with me. But let's talk about that later. I would like to test my powers. You have said that the original daemon was able to resist level 0 psionic attacks with ease? Ah Lance you can put the camera back on.”

“The others are complaining that they can only see you as kind of smoke. And they are crestfallen that you haven't showed it to them earlier when one can't see it.” Lance chimed in.

“Yes, yes but I didn't know what it would look like. In my early years my parents told me to not show it to anyone. I didn't even show it in the legion. Well I would have done it if I was in a life and death situation that I couldn't resolve otherwise. As last option so to say. But now that I am married I wanted to show it to my wife when she has never seen it.

If Gindor is also watching, we should buy some more psionic resistant materials for the new generation suits. You never know what will happen when we are deeper in unknown space.”

“Alice, you can start. Maybe we should also train your emissions a bit so you can tone them down.”

After the reminder, Alice started attacking. At first it was only some tiny lightning blasts that even when aimed directly at Liz flowed around her.

The the lightning slowly grew until the attacks reached the upper end of Alpha Grade.

Her level 0 attacks were more based on the fog around her. It formed limbs and maws. The limbs tried to grab Liz and the maws then bit vulnerable spots. Slowly it grew more intense as more limbs developed. Seeing that the quantity still flowed around Liz, Alice moved to the qualitative approach. Soon Liz was enveloped in a gigantic dragon maw made from fog.

“This is going to be one of my strongest attacks. Stronger will only be possible by attacking the mind.”

“Bring it.”

The maw quickly moved up to Liz and then bit down.

When Liz felt the danger emanating from it, her instincts kicked in. She quickly summoned the sword. This time it had the same shape as when the daemon had it. She swung it at the maw. When it hit, the maw dissipated. It was as if it never had been there.

“That was anticlimactic. But now I want to test if I can also block mental attacks with the sword. Now I also know that I am not completely immune to psionic attacks. The really strong ones can still hurt me. That also means that the Empire only sent their lower ranked level 0s to the demons as I don't believe the stronger ones are unable to pierce through the daemons protection. Not that I want to badmouth you.”

“No offense taken but it still is good that you can resist lower level 0 psionics. We can try if you can block mind attacks but I will only lower leveled ones on you.”

Using only Alpha grade attacks she sent them in Liz' direction. Damage to the mind was rather nasty and there weren't many possibilities to completely heal them. So it was not something that one would use in training with allies.

Shortly after starting, Liz said, “I have to rely on my barrier or whatever it is against mind attacks. Can't hit something I can't see.”

“Ok, then we can end it here?”

“Yep.”


In the mess they all talked about Alice. They simply hadn't known that their technician was also a level 0 Psyker. But they were happy that they now had 3 level 0s. Gindor, Liz and Alice with the latter being their only Psyker on that level.

They decided that Alice would still be exempt from missions. At least until they all had some suits that could protect them form her emissions or she could control them at a reasonable level. While most of them had sturdy mind, it was hard to not have a moment of distraction.

Liz ans Alice spent the rest of their days until dinner differently. Alice worked with Amy on their design for the new suits while Delilah was watching and throwing in a few new approaches here and there. She had already completed building the stasis chamber for the meat.

Liz on the other hand spent her day with Ylaya and Gorshak. In her natural form, she was only a tad bit stronger than him. She tried how to best defend and attack with her longsword. While training she found another perk of the sword, she could customize its length and width. The weight always stayed the same. Just light enough to use it properly but not any lighter.

After a shower and dinner she fell exhausted into their bed. They had only quick fun as both were drained.

The next morning they got up a bit earlier. Still a bit sleepy they all had breakfast together. Gindor also reminded them of behaving and what to do when another ship came near.

The half day before they returned was relatively eventless.

Albert was training with his favorite guns. Alaron who was next to him and training his psionics was really impressed every time he saw the dwarf shoot. Almost every shot was a bull's eye.

Alaron himself was training after seeing Alice perform the day before.

Ylaya was chatting with Delilah and doing maintenance on her swords.

Vasili was deep into his research but joined Delilah later. Even if he really was engrossed into his research he didn't want to neglect his wife.

Liz was happily watching Alice work. She found that Alice made cute faces and looked really nice when working and concentrating hard. But after half the morning she was thrown out as Alice wasn't able to concentrate well enough with someone watching her every move. So she also joined Ylaya and the other two.

When Delilah and Vasili left for a bit. Or 'catching some fresh air' as they called it, they began talking about their lovers. Ylaya still stayed a bit shy but when she saw that the conversation didn't derail into sexual topics she got more comfortable.

When the other crew members returned all of them helped putting the purchase into the storage rooms.

Sometimes there would be complains like “We really need some transportation droids.”

The rest of the day went equally peaceful like that. Until Gindor got the last boxes down. They weren't boxes but barrels.

He announced, “We don't have to get a permit for dwarven space. My friends have settled down in the neutral zone. I got here some of the best dwarven beer.”


Having moved all but one barrel into the storage area they went for dinner into the mess.

Gindor filled a large mug for everyone and raised his.

“Now that we have finished everything we wanted to do in this sector we will move towards the home-planet of humans. While some of us know the place we don't know how much time has passed. I guess we can proclaim this is the beginning of our journey. TO THE START OF OUR ADVENTURE!”

“TO THE START OF OUR ADVENTURE!” x11

“Ah dwarven beer really is the best.” Liz exclaimed after taking a deep gulp.

“You had no reason to doubt it but it is the best.” “It really is.” “We should come back as soon as we run dry.”

5