Chapter 7: The current behind the scenes
235 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The same evening after exposing the head of the Skotobor companies, CCSB found some information about the location of the live broadcast launch. Upon learning about it, the organization's employees quickly arrived at the designated spot.

Among them was the Leader of one of CCSB's divisions.

Stepping out of the vehicle, he entered the building and made his way to the rooftop. In the open area atop the roof, many people were working, checking here and there. However, even after a considerable amount of time, they found nothing that would indicate who this person was.

"Leader, what should we do? We've searched everywhere. It seems the other side possesses excellent counterintelligence abilities."

The Leader stood there, silent, gazing at the surroundings. After a while, he ordered his subordinate to continue the search, then took out his phone and made a call.

A voice answered from the phone, "Yes, Leader, what's the matter?"

"Well, have you analyzed how he managed to pull this off from the rooftop? Based on the analysis, there wasn't suitable equipment here to hack the satellite. Do you have any conclusions on how the other side did this?"

"Leader, I have some leads. When I checked the satellite, I noticed something, but you need to return so I can show you."

"Alright."

The Leader looked around, ordered his team to search until the last moment, and then returned to headquarters.

Upon entering, he saw other people had gathered. Everyone greeted him, and then a middle-aged man in glasses stepped forward. He looked at everyone and began speaking.

"First, I'd like to show you something."

As he spoke, he opened a map of the Earth, which displayed numerous red dots. Everyone waited for this cybersecurity expert to explain.

"As you can see, this is a map of the Earth, and the red dots represent the devices the other side used to launch the live broadcast. You also know what he said at the beginning of the broadcast - that if the transmission was cut off, the information inside the organization would be erased.

This was confirmed, as some people still didn't believe it and disconnected some servers. The mysterious person's words rang true; all files were lost, and even the system was completely wiped, leaving nothing behind.

Interestingly, from a programming perspective, the method he used to hack is very puzzling. We still don't understand how the program works, but the main point is that once a device receives this file, it gets hacked."

As he spoke, he showed a seemingly ordinary file on the screen.

"This is a lightweight file in size, but it has other compressed and encrypted files inside. However, due to the compression and encryption method, we can't open it and see what the other files do.

As soon as a device receives the file, it somehow bypasses the device's security in seconds. After that, we lose track of the file, not understanding where it goes.

However, by that time, the device no longer has one owner but two, as this file creates a secret passage through which the device can receive commands.

That's how the satellite was hacked - essentially, the satellite simply received the file sent from the ground. But as soon as the file was accepted, the satellite was already compromised."

The more he spoke, the more agitated this cybersecurity expert became. Since he was also an expert in programming, such a hacking method was something completely different for him.

Unlike him, the Leader and the other subordinates gradually changed their facial expressions, feeling shocked.

"Based on your words, this program can hack anything, just by sending this data through any transmission method?"

"Yes, Leader, you're correct. Mainly, the media and other devices were hacked via the internet. However, the satellite was hacked through electromagnetic transmission. The ground antennas were hacked, allowing the file to be sent directly to the satellite.

And as we've understood, if any device accepts the file, it will be hacked. The thing is, this file somehow directly bypasses our encryption systems extremely quickly."

Listening to him, everyone finally understood how dangerous this file was.

"So, is there any way to protect against this?"

"Yes, there is, but it's highly ineffective - it literally means rejecting any connection. If a satellite or any other device doesn't accept signals, it won't be hacked. However, if we do that, we also can't control the satellite."

At this time, one of the people in the room stood up to suggest, "What if we add this file to the exclusion list so devices don't accept it?"

These words also inspired others, and they looked expectantly at the cybersecurity expert.

"Well, we've already tried that, but even if the device doesn't accept this file, it still gets hacked when the file is sent. That's what I'm saying - we don't understand how this happens."

"So we can't counter it?"

"No, not for now."

At this point, the Leader finally spoke up, "What if we try to control this file ourselves?"

"Well, we can send this file anywhere, like the file's creator, but we still can't access it to use the file. It just disappears."

"Wait, if it disappears, how did you find this file?"

When this question was asked, the cybersecurity expert sighed, showing an embarrassed look.

"Well, I think it was intentionally left by the other side."

"Why?"

When one of the employees involuntarily asked this question, instead of the cybersecurity expert, the Leader spoke up.

"To warn us."

"Yes, that's right."

"Alright, continue your work. Maybe there's still a way to deal with this."

Saying this, the Leader turned and left the room, passing through the corridor to reach the elevator. He pressed a special spot, revealing a scanner, to which he presented his key card. The elevator moved downward, descending deeper and deeper underground.

Soon, the elevator stopped, and the doors in front of him opened. However, the Leader didn't step out but turned and placed his key card in a special slot again. The front door closed, and unexpectedly, another door opened behind the elevator.

Exiting the elevator, the Leader approached a door guarded by 10 heavily armored individuals with glowing weapons. Finally, the Leader reached the door these people were guarding. Inserting the key card into a special slot, then verifying his eye and fingerprint, the door finally opened.

Passing through the double entrance, the scene before his eyes transformed. From ordinary, it turned into something extremely mysterious, where some advanced technologies could also be seen.

Holographic images, smart glasses, and human-like robots assisted scientists in white garments with their tasks.

However, the Leader paid no attention to this, passing through various corridors until he reached one room. The door opened, revealing several people seated inside.

Upon seeing him, they greeted him, and the Leader took his seat.

"So, Aldrich, based on the news, I learned that Leonard died?"

One of the people seated at the table spoke, and the Leader, whose name was Aldrich, nodded.

"Yes, although we used Leonard for our purposes to help suppress this situation. However, the other side was more powerful than we thought."

"What about how he hacked the satellite with the latest security systems?"

Another person spoke up.

"Well, so far, we know that he used a single file to hack all devices, which is extremely dangerous. But since our base is disconnected from the entire internet, it can't threaten us for now."

"Is there any information on who this might be?"

"Based on the fact that the other side completely destroyed Leonard, we can assume the other side is somehow connected to him."

"Why do you think so?"

"Well, if the other side is so powerful in programming, why would they need Leonard specifically? We also checked, and there was no loss of Leonard's money or anything else."

"Still, we can't make any definitive claims."

"What about the possibility that the other side is a different being or a superhuman?"

When these words were spoken, the entire room fell silent. It took some time for the conversation to continue.

"Our sensors show that the intensity of foreign particles is increasing."

"Yes, compared to the last century, in our era, the frequency of finding certain special beings is gradually increasing."

"Dr. Margaret has also identified some patterns - the foreign particles and the increase in the number of strange beings are clearly interrelated. And based on the fact that the particles continue to increase, the number of beings is likely to increase as well."

The conversation shifted from cybersecurity to an entirely different direction.

"According to some data, the foreign particles spiked sharply a few days ago in this city. If you look at the whole Earth, these particles are evenly distributed. But in this city, such an incident occurred. However, they then returned to their previous levels."

"What could this mean?"

"It's possible that a being significantly different from previous ones appeared. And it might be in this city."

"Is it possible that this is the one who hacked the satellites and all devices, considering the hacking method used by the other side?"

"Possible. This would explain why even the most advanced security systems were hacked in seconds. This being may have some supernatural abilities in the realm of electricity."

"Perhaps we still have a chance to find this being, so we need to work more carefully."

"What about you? Have you been able to determine where these beings come from?"

"We don't have any definite information yet, although there is a theory that they are formed due to foreign particles. However, this has not been confirmed yet."

"Yes, and we still can't influence the foreign particles in any way other than measuring them."

"But Dr. Margaret noticed something. I'll show you now."

Saying this, one of the people took a flash drive from the table and connected it to a nearby screen. After browsing through the files on the flash drive for some time, he finally played something.

It was a video featuring a middle-aged woman in glasses and a mask. She began showing some pictures and started explaining.

"So, although we can't interact with foreign particles, we can still track and measure them.

Now, although the number of foreign particles is generally even on Earth, there are still places with higher concentrations of foreign particles.

I conducted the following experiments in these places.

The thing is, a sufficient amount of foreign particles does affect reality. In this case, it's the cells of living organisms. After prolonged exposure in these places, we found some things.

The cells of some animals are affected by these particles. But what's special about these animals is their robust immune systems, which makes them less susceptible to diseases than others.

For now, we don't know how this is related to foreign particles, but in most animals with weak immune systems, their cells began changing and undergoing DNA mutations.

And if you look at the animals in general, they acquired a certain percentage of strength in addition to their original abilities. But they also became more aggressive and less controllable.

We also conducted an experiment with human blood, and the result was that the cells, like those of animals, began to mutate. However, there was one difference – perhaps related to DNA – but the human blood acquired certain properties not inherent to humans.

One example was that the blood would periodically turn into metal and then back again.

Based on this, we made a preliminary conclusion: foreign particles are the source of supernatural beings' extraordinary abilities.

That's all."

Watching the woman demonstrate various images on the screen, they began conversing.

"Well, we knew that foreign particles were connected to supernatural beings, but the fact that they might be the source of their unusual abilities is something else entirely."

"Yes, and judging by the fact that the number of particles is increasing, some people might start mutating. We don't even know what will happen at that time."

"Well, to start with, there need to be specific conditions – one is a sufficient amount of particles, and the other is a weak immune system. So the chance of an animal becoming a supernatural being is higher than a human becoming one."

"Aldrich, you need to be careful. Since there were fluctuations in these particle levels in this city, you might encounter some challenging situations."

"Don't worry, sir. Our team is already prepared. Some advanced weapons have already been issued to the special unit. With them, they can better deal with the threat."

"That's good, but I'll also send you two employees with exoskeletons, just in case."

"Thank you, sir. Extra hands won't hurt."

"Alright, today's meeting is over. You can go and proceed as before."

"Yes, sir."

As they spoke, everyone stood up, and their bodies immediately dissolved into holographic particles. The hologram was so remarkable that it would be impossible to distinguish from reality unless they made sudden movements.

Soon, everything in front of Aldrich became empty, leaving only a simple room.

He, in turn, sat for some time, thinking, and finally stood up and left the room.

======================

At the same time, Aidan was uninterested in what was happening around him. Although the news continued about the previous events, showing scenes of the plane crash.

However, this didn't bother him at all as he continued his training, sweating profusely.

4