And I will protect you pt 1
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2019, March 4th

Caines, Terres Somnia (Zoey)

It seemed it had been pouring summer rain for months. In truth, the downpour had begun only yesterday. It was only yesterday that my world had come together at last. Aaron looked upon me as though nothing and no one could take him from me and regardless of all the terrible things happening in the world, I could not help being happy. I was a different person. He had opened up my heart and not just for himself, but for everyone around me.

I would mend fences with the duke, if only for the sake of the wedding. My new life had given me something I had never had before. Two somethings, actually. A brother and a best friend.

Bart held my hand while I stumbled through every situation, good or bad, since I reached Caines. I wanted to be useful to him. I knew that this marriage would finally remove the burden of the Arden claim to the throne from Bart’s shoulders.

Knowing this made me all the happier that things had worked out for Aaron and I, because marriage was a sacred thing. This union had the power to change many people’s lives, but would define mine and Aaron’s.

Lying on my bed, getting ready to call my mother, how was I to know that my life was about to change again? As my head hovered over the red roses Aaron had given me yesterday, I smiled my last happy smile for a while.

Bart burst in, shut the laptop and grabbed my phone right out of my hands.

“Hey!” I complained. “I was just about to call my mom.”

Those ever busy, ever problem-solving eyes of Bart’s gave way to something unsettling.

“Pack for a few days. I have to get you out of here.”

He was stern and his tone, though always somewhat imposing, was more than that. It was urgent, maybe even desperate. I grabbed at his sleeve.

“What is it? What’s wrong Bart?”

“Now Zo!” he yelled, marching over to my window to close the curtains.

I jumped up and did as I was told. As I started packing, George’s footsteps could be heard marching in the hallway leading to the door of my room.

“What is this?” the duke boomed.

George shoved his tablet into my hands, livid. I looked down at the headline.

Heated Elevator Kiss Between Prince Aaron and His Intended.

Dumbstruck, I started scrolling down frantically. Aaron and I had been careful not to be spotted whenever we were together. This couldn’t be. My mind was racing.

How could I have been so negligent? This was sure to stir up quite a bit of trouble. No wonder Bart and George were enraged. I had embarrassed them.

Then I saw it. Everything stopped and suddenly I understood. When next I knew, I felt Bart’s thumbs on my cheeks and heard the whoosh of a sigh leave his body.

“We have to go, Zo,” Bart said, more gently this time.

George was up in arms. “Go? After causing such an uproar you would have her run off somewhere? She must issue a public apology for making such a spectacle—”

“She must do nothing,” Bart interrupted.

Bart spoke firmly, in a tone he did not usually reserve for our father.

But then, George did not know what he thought he knew and Bart, himself being enraged, had only enough patience to be swift, as he always was.

Realisation dawned on me once more. Bart wanted to buy me some time. He must know that I would not get it here.

My brother knew me well. It was all over for Aaron and I, and he would not let me be persuaded otherwise. Not twice. Not when he had gone against his instincts the first time and allowed us both to be swayed.

Back and forth George and Bart went about what to do. I couldn’t move. Has Aaron really done this? On the night of our engagement?

There wasn’t time for this, not until we were far away, but all I could do was fall apart. Again and again, it hit me what he had done, and I wished I could go back to being blissfully unaware.

“We’re leaving. Forgive me, father,” Bart said in parting, having finished the packing.

“I cannot understand you. This isn’t like you at all. They are to be wed. It’s the 21st century. Certainly, it may cause some embarrassment, but the people will understand. You are being too protective.”

“If you do think so, then you must really not understand. She will be safe; this I promise you.”

Bart took my hand and led me through the hallways I had at last become accustomed to. Down the staircase that seemed endless and past Duchess Arden, who had no doubt come to the same conclusion George had. There was no time. We would reveal the truth to them later, or someone surely would, but right now, we had to go.

0