Britney – everything is a mess
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Uuurgh!" I screamed in frustration. "It's a wonder we're allowed these!" I glared at the cordless telephone in my hand.

"Easy there, tigress. Your engine's quite fired up this morning and I haven't had coffee yet," said Macy, yawning on the other end of the line.

I flopped down on the bed with a sigh. "I'm sorry, Mace. I'm just so..! All that work, down the drain, all in one night! And me? What do I do? Jet off on vacation, of course. So stupid. So juvenile. So… not me."

"Not to be a bitch, baby girl, but the fuck ups started long ago, with he who shall not be named," said Macy, without sympathy. "This vay-cay may just be the most sensible thing you've done in months."

Resisting the urge to ask after he who shall not be named, I chose to remain on track and focus on the task at hand. Damage control.

"Still no word?" I asked hopefully.

"Not a peep," Macy confirmed. "I've left emails, voicemails, the works, but you know as well as I do that Brat doesn't check either."

"That's it, I'm coming home."

"Unless the sexy billionaire that's hot for you is escorting you, the hell you are."

"Mace, everything is a mess. I can't just sit here, sipping Mai Tais, waiting for her to eventually give a shit and finally return a call."

"Okay one, you and I both know that she has like a million phones. Who knows when that will be?"

"Thanks a lot, Mace."

"Two," Macy continued, dismissing my irritable tone. "What are you going to do around here anyway other than obsess about things you can't change? Take a beat, have a beach day. You know I got you. I'll find Brat. You just… heal."

I sat up and pulled my knees up to my chest, hugging myself in Macy's stead. The concern for my wellbeing in her voice triggered something in me. Before I knew it, my cheeks were wet and my walls were down.

"So about this sexy billionaire," Macy pepped back up.

I laughed through the tears. Good old Macy. She knew just when not to push.

"Even if men weren't the last thing on my mind right now, which they are, he's not hot for me. He wants Britney O'Prey. Every man on this island does."

"Same thing," said Macy, nonchalantly. "You are Britney O'Prey. And so what if he just wants some? You're both on vacation. I say get some."

"Yes, I'm hanging up now."

"Put out, you prude!" Macy said in goodbye.

I sat there for some time, lost in thought. Sure, women didn't throw themselves at Will Hunter as men did with Britney O'Prey, but I think that's by design. His presence sneaks up on you. No doubt, you wouldn't notice him until/unless he wants you to. The man exudes mystique and possibilities. Being in his presence simultaneously makes you feel like a woman and a teenage girl, and like he can fulfill the desires of both.

What the hell was I thinking? Britney O'Prey doesn't go around touching men's lips and letting them suck on her thumb. Or does she? Honestly I can't keep it straight anymore. I was perfectly fine cordially, but sternly, rebuffing the other nine men who approached me three nights ago. Why not him? I acted, well I was like a fumbling school girl, trying to be sexy and then not and then… Oh to hell with it.

The last week's events had me off my game. Yes, that's all it was. The more I tried to make sensible decisions and fix the mess that was my life, the more I fumbled and made a fool of myself.

I slapped my cheeks and jumped off the bed.

"That's it, enough wallowing," I said to myself. "I'll just call it a wash and have a beach day, like Macy said."

My woes and concerns about fixing my life were momentarily replaced by the potential of happening upon Will Hunter. Once I started thinking about him, the dominoes trickled down my body like a spiraling staircase. The naughty glimpses he stole of my thighs earlier today. The scent of masculinity that hangs in the air around him. His kindness in giving me the space I needed on the night we met. What woman wouldn't swoon at such a gesture? It was perfectly normal. So was noticing his handsome face. His broad back and shoulders. Inviting, mischievous, hazel eyes. Sea-swept hair.

My fists clenched and I felt my thighs squeeze together. A knock on the door snapped me out of my day dreaming. I stuffed my hair behind my ears in an effort to make myself look presentable, before crossing the suite to get to the door.

"Harmon Chancellor, at your service Ms. O'Prey," said the man on my doorstep as he handed me an envelope. "We do hope that you will attend."

"Thank you," I said with a wry smile.

I closed the door before opening the envelope. It contained an invitation, cordially inviting all of the guests to a party to allow for everyone to mingle tonight.

"Well I suppose I can't stay in my room forever. There's an entire island to explore and 100 people to meet," I rationalized, but I could hardly keep calm.

Surely the notion of Will doing this simply to draw me out is utterly ridiculous? He wouldn't have a whole get together just for me. The ugly truth of my real personality punched me in the gut. There was a man who might be waiting to see me tonight. Do I go? And if I do, what do I say?

Another knock on the door broke my train of thought. When I opened the door once more, two women accompanied by a selection of dresses, shoes and jewelry walked in.

"Compliments of Mr. Hunter. He sends his apologies for having inconvenienced you. Pick anything you like for tonight's dinner party," said one of the women.

"Scratch the might," I mumbled to myself with a gulp.

He wasn't going to let me be. Now I've gone and done it.

1