Chapter 26: An old friend
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The death of the minotaur spread terror among many of the demons that were following it. They immediately started to retreat.

Drake descended and was welcomed by cheers from his elite soldiers. No one doubted his strength now!

Similarly on the other sides of the battlefield.

“Take this you filth!” screamed Elwin as he severed an orc’s arm. The orc screamed but a new arm immediately started growing. This was the unique ability of the orc race. High regeneration.

But Elwin was quick, while the orc was in pain, he sliced off its remaining arms and legs too, completely dismembering its body. The orc fell helplessly on the floor, but its limbs were regenerating quickly.

“Die!” Elwin scream as he stabbed down on its chest. The orc roared but Elwin paid it no heed. He twisted his sword and pulled it out, before bringing it down on its neck, severing its head from its body.

In order to stop an orc’s regeneration, the heart had to be destroyed and the head torn off simultaneously for it to die. If either one remained, then it would eventually regenerate.

Killing the orc caused another section of the demon horde to flee.

“Phew!” Elwin gasped. He first looked towards Drake and was happy to see that the minotaur was dead. Then he looked at the other two main battlefields.

Orthruses had the appearance of a large, two headed dog. They had the unique ability to summon several illusory clones.

It was being fought by a group of three, tempered body martial artists, supported by a bunch of archers and swordsmen. The archers would shoot at all the images of the orthrus to identify which ones were an illusion and which ones were real. Once the real was identified, it would be attacked by the martial artists. The swordsmen protected the archers from being attacked by the surrounding demons.

On the other side was the hell hound. Hell hounds had the unique ability of invisibility, so they could turn invisible for a few seconds. But they were also very quick and intelligent. They may charge at one person and become invisible, and before you knew it, another soldier would be getting mauled by the invisible hell hound.

To deal with this, there were four armoured soldiers carrying shield forming a square formation. Inside were three martial artists. Two were archers, and one was a spear user. The archers would shoot at the hell hound from afar whenever it was visible. And when it came close, the armoured soldiers would use their shields and armour to hold it at bay while the spear user attacked.

Elwin sighed. These oni were really very difficult to deal with!

Their individual strength was not much higher than demons, however their unique abilities made them very tricky to fight.

Luckily, the martial artists were experienced in dealing with the onis. The orthrus and the hell hound were carrying massive injuries.

Drake had gone to reinforce the team fighting the orthrus, and Elwin decided to reinforce the hell hound team.

But suddenly, he heard a roar. The roar drowned out all other noise in the battlefield, and for a moment, everyone froze.

A figure formed at the distance, and it was rapidly coming closer. It was human in shape, but it was definitely not human.

Its skin was pale and partially decomposed, making some bones visible in parts of its fingers, arms, chest, and even its face. It’s left eye was just an open skull socket, and the nearby skin had completely decomposed, revealing the skull underneath.

It was an undead!

Like the name suggests, undead were dead creatures that were made to come ‘alive’ by some dark methods. But they did not have consciousness and just mindlessly obeyed the orders of whoever made them. They did not require food, water, or sleep to survive, and they would never become tired or feel pain.

This undead was carrying a spear and was running rapidly towards the battlefield.

What shocked Elwin the most was that he recognised the spear. And he recognised the undead.

Jin Tong!?

But that was impossible. He saw Jin Tong was the first person who was chased down by the commander class demon. How could he be here?

The dark mages…

They must have captured him and turned him into this! Elwin could feel his strength from here.

He was a pseudo-commander class undead!

Last time they fought the pseudo-commander class elephant demon in the woods, Elwin had the support of Zhao Gaumond, Brain Klington, Jin Tong, the tall and fat men from Leon village, and three elves! In other words, it took six martial artists at the steel body level, and three warrior mages to take down one pseudo-commander class demon.

But now, Elwin was the only person at that level!

“Oh, crap!” Elwin cursed. But there was no time to react. If he allowed Jin Tong to attack, their army would be decimated.

Elwin charged at Jin Tong, using his speed to rush towards him. The two met and within a few seconds, they exchanged dozens of blows.

Elwin was in disbelief.

This Jin Tong was on a whole new level compared to before. He was much stronger and faster. His movements were precise and deadly. He attacked relentlessly like a machine. Even if Elwin landed a hit, Jin Tong showed no reaction.

What the hell was this!?

Drake paused and saw his brother fighting Jin Tong. He could see that Elwin was completely out classed. He wanted to help, but he didn’t know if he could. He couldn’t even see their movements. Drake did not want to be burden, but he did not want to do nothing either.

After a moment of hesitation, he closed his eyes and summoned two healing fairies. Being mana spirits, they could move on their own and so he did not need to control them with his mind.

‘Heal brother Elwin’ he commanded.

The spirits streaked across the battlefield and arrived before Elwin. They became two green lights that orbited Elwin. Whenever he got injured, the light would touch the injury and it would be healed. Elwin saw this and smiled.

‘Thank you, brother,’ he whispered, and started attacking Jin Tong with renewed vigour.

But Jin Tong’s presence caused more issues. The demons that were starting to flee seemed to find their courage and returned more fiercely. And the humans were the opposite. Everyone could feel the terrifying strength of Jin Tong, and the fierce clash between him and their general Elwin. They could see that Elwin was overpowered and the soldiers were losing their morale.

Drake frowned.

“Listen up everyone!” Drake yelled. He was flying high on top of his shield so everyone could see him. “General Elwin is doing his best to keep the undead at bay. He is risking his life to protect us; do you want that to go to waste? We need to use this chance to kill off all the remaining demons! So, ATTACK!!!”

When he said the word ‘attack’, Drake sent his boomerang flying at an incredible speed towards the hell hound. It had just became visible and was trying to use the chaos caused by Jin Tong’s appearance to land a sneak attack on an injured martial artist and finish him off.

Before it could even register what was happening, the boomerang sliced its head off which went flying across the battlefield.

Everyone cheered.

“Yeah!”

“We have master Drake along with general Elwin. There’s no way we can lose!”

Their army started attacking with newfound strength. Elwin heard Drake too and was happy that he brought him along. However, he didn’t have time to lose focus.

Jin Tong attacked fiercely, and Elwin was barely able to defend. If not for the fairies healing him, he would already be covered in injuries. The main problem was that Elwin had never fought an undead before.

They were like orcs. Although undead wouldn’t regenerate, they also wouldn’t die by simply stabbing or dismembering them.

The best way to kill an undead was to burn them, or completely destroy them somehow. But…

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Jin Tong attacked without taking a break. He had never had to fight like this before! Even if his injuries were getting healed, he was losing his stamina. As a martial artist, he had much higher stamina than normal humans but still, he was losing his breath. His movements were slowing down.

But Jin Tong was not. He attacked as ferociously as ever. And since he used a spear, he had a longer range than Elwin, making it even harder for him to close in.

Over the next ten minutes, a large number of demons were killed, but there were still many more. Drake took a moment to consume a mana recovery pill and restored his mana.

Then, he went on a rampage. He directly summoned four iron boomerangs and started shredding all the remaining demons to pieces. He was like a force of nature, flying on his shield, sweeping across the battlefield, killing anything and everything that came close. As a result, within another five minutes, most of the demons were killed. The few that were left realised that they could not win and started to flee, despite Jin Tong’s presence.

Everyone cheered. The wounded were taken for treatment, and the remaining soldiers retreated and began to rest. Jin Tong and Elwin were still fighting, but there was nothing they could do. That wasn’t a fight that any of them could mess with.

Elwin cursed, blocking a spear that was slicing from the top. The spear rotated and pushed Elwin’s sword downwards, then thrusted up towards his open chest. Elwin retreated, but was followed by Jin Tong who jumped towards him, aiming his spear at his throat.

Elwin blocked upwards again but Jin Tong suddenly kicked his side. Elwin blocked with his other arm, and Jin Tong jumped back, before restarting his assault.

‘Dammit why is he so persistent!’ Elwin didn’t know how much longer he could hold on. He could feel his movements becoming slower, and even with the help of the fairies, he was racking up injuries. The fairies could only heal relatively light wounds.

Drake quietly approached the battlefield. He could hear repeated sword clashing and could barely follow their movements. All he could see were two shadows streaking across the battlefield at high speeds.

‘How are they fighting non-stop so intensely?’ he wondered.

He had read about undead and knew they didn’t tire, but this was too much. He knew his brother couldn’t keep up for long. He had to do something.

Although he could barely see what was happening, occasionally, when they temporarily retreated or bounced back, they would pause for a second.

That’s the opening he was waiting for. He had the image in mind and mana at his fingertips. He could cast his summon at a moment’s notice, and a moment was all he had.

He waited patiently, carefully observing their movements.

Elwin was getting tired and was letting more blows through. The fairies did their best to heal him, but even they couldn’t keep up with how quickly Elwin was racking up injuries. Then, just as Elwin was about to block a spear thrust towards his abdomen, the spear suddenly changed direction towards his shoulder. It was a feint! But it was too late for Elwin to react.

The spear pierced through his shoulder and appeared on the other side.

‘NOW!’ Drake thought and cast his spell.

Snap!

There was a loud sound near Jin Tong’s feet.

Jin Tong looked down to see both his feet caught in bear traps!

Elwin was shocked to see this! How did bear traps appear here? But he realised how in the next second.

‘Oh brother, thank you!’ Elwin whispered. Then, Elwin smiled wickedly.

“It’s over!” he yelled, slashing his sword across the neck of the immobilised undead.

But something unexpected happened.

Jin Tong released the hold on his spear and bent inhumanely backwards, completely dodging the sword. Then he reached into his sides and pulled out two daggers.

As Elwin swung to the side, Jin Tong used the bear traps as a pivot to rise and stabbed Elwin on the sides of his hips!

“NO!” screamed Drake and ran towards Elwin.

What madness was this!?

The undead used the fact that it couldn’t feel pain to move in an inhumane way, escaping a fatal strike, and counter attacking brutally!

Jin Tong removed his daggers and Elwin stumbled backwards, coughing out blood. Without hesitation, Jin Tong brought those daggers mercilessly onto Elwin’s throat.

Drake made it just in time and pushed Elwin away from the fatal strike.

“Elwin!” Drake cried. The fairies tried to heal him, but the wounds were too deep, not to mention the huge spear sticking out of his shoulder.

Clang! Clang! Clang!

Jin Tong was marching slowly towards Drake. The bear traps reduced his speed considerably, but since he couldn’t feel pain, he just walked with them.

It was clear that he would stop at nothing to kill.

0