Chapter Six: So, This Is Awkward
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After only a few weeks together, Asher didn’t seem to care whether Rowan learned about his family’s secrets anymore. He was excitedly rambling about improvements to their wristcoms that would let a holograph of the person on the other end of a connection hover above it before moving into possible methods of weather management, and Rowan tried to keep up with an indulgent grin.

She’d decided that she liked him. He was enormously passionate about his work, a depth of enthusiasm that still surprised her at times, and more down to earth and most importantly, kind than any other noble brat she’d met.

Honestly, those few things were enough to make her enjoy anyone’s company.

He seemed a little sad today, though, drooping around the edges, and Rowan wondered if it was for the same reason she was. As the day ended, he became almost lethargic, trudging when he walked while his speech slowed down. When he escorted Rowan to her car, he almost looked like a puppy, about to get scolded.

Outside the front door to his family’s house, Asher turned to her, taking a deep breath.

“Well. I-”

“Would you like to come to dinner tonight?” Rowan blurted.

She’d been contemplating asking him this for a few days now, working up the nerve to say it. Once they were done today, her obligation to House Cerullis would be fulfilled, and Rowan didn’t want to let go of what had been kindling between her and Asher. She wanted to keep what was quickly becoming a friendship, so she had to find a means for them to spend time together. This dinner could serve as a temporary one, if he accepted. Tonight, she could forge one that was more permanent.

“I-”

A brief flicker of panic on Asher’s face morphed into a pleased expression.

“I would like that,” he said. “When should I arrive?”

“Sometime between six and seven should be fine,” Rowan said.

“In that case, I’ll look forward to seeing you then.”

With a smile, Asher reached for her hand, giving it a quick squeeze before heading inside. Rubbing where he’d touched her, Rowan stalked to her car, curious about why he hadn’t hovered until she was out of sight, like he had until tonight. Making a face, she finished scrubbing at her skin and ducked into the car.

Back home, she coordinated with the attendants who were setting up for tonight, helping them with desk and storecase placement. All the while, she went through the messages she’d received from the members of her family at the Summit.

She almost fell asleep while reading Logan’s. He had the driest way of writing, one that made Rowan think he was a robot, and the subject matter he usually chose to share didn’t help with that impression.

Still, he seemed happy, based on how much he gushed over the cost of some of the Houses’ events. Also, his typical messages to Rowan weren’t this long.

Among other things in her message, her mom mentioned that she was proud of how Rowan had handled the Cerullis situation, which had her glowing inside, and with what Paisley had written, she could tell her sister had done her best to make Rowan feel as if she were actually at the Summit. She’d even received a message from Anthony, although it got a bit garbled toward the end. Hopefully, that was Jessica’s fault and not because something horrific had happened to her brother. She didn’t have anything from Henry, but he’d always communicated through John when he was away, so she wasn’t surprised by that.

Reading their messages made her wish she was with them. They’d only been gone for a few weeks, but Rowan sorely missed her family. Even when they were home and busy, she at least had the security of knowing they were nearby. She didn’t like missing out on that.

Once everything involved with her part of tonight’s dinner was set up, Rowan puttered about the house for a while. While doing so, she secretly hoped she’d run into her Aunt Hailey, who’d recently arrived from Shoya Dren. Those two had yet to say more than first hellos, and she hadn’t seen her aunt in ages. Hailey’s family was still unhappy with House Kolb for stealing Bay from them.

Her hope wasn’t to be, though. Dinner time rolled around, and Rowan ran to her room for a change in clothes.

Mia and Thomas arrived soon afterward, and as they were announced, panic briefly visited Rowan when she remembered that she hadn’t told Asher her friends would be here. Hopefully, he wouldn’t be too off-put by two corp children’s presences tonight, although… getting Rowan’s friends to be comfortable around him might be the hard part, but before she could think about that too hard, her friends stepped through the door.

She could never decide what to think of Thomas and Mia in formal wear. To her, they were jeans and t-shirts, baked skin and scraped knees, but when they showed up to her home in dresses and ties, Rowan couldn’t help but enjoy the sight of them, two people who were pleasing to the eye, wearing outfits that were made to suit their bodies.

“Hey, guys!” she called.

She ran to them with her arms spread, and they answered with hugs of their own while Thomas pounded Rowan’s back.

“Hell, you’d think you three never saw one another.”

Pulling her head free of the embrace, Rowan stuck her tongue out at John. Her brother was leaning his shoulder against a wall with his arms crossed as he grinned at her, and she couldn’t help a silent cry of thanks to see him more like himself instead of the mopey lump he’d been for the last few weeks. Behind him, Bay and Aunt Hailey glided into view, deep in discussion like they were every time she visited.

“You just wish you had friends, John,” Rowan called.

Thomas wiggled free of their tangle, placing his hands on his hips with a pout on his lips.

“I’d say we’re more than friends,” he said.

He would?

“Really?” Rowan said. “How would you define us, then?”

With his hands slipping off of their perches, Thomas spluttered, and Rowan watched his reaction with curiosity. Why was he getting so flustered?

“Rowan, love, why don’t you introduce your friends to your aunt?” Bay said with a chuckle. “I don’t think she’s met them.”

Right. That would be polite, wouldn’t it?

Grabbing her friends’ arms, Rowan dragged them toward Hailey, hauling them in front of her when she stopped.

“It’s good to see you Aunt Hailey,” she said. “May I present to you Mia and Thomas Shalen, my two best friends in the world.”

Stepping forward, Hailey squeezed both of their hands, refraining from kissing their cheeks out of respect for their ‘delicate Atharian sensibilities’.

“I’m pleased to meet you,” she said in her breathy accent. “I don’t believe I’ve heard of House Shalen before.”

“Oh. Um.”

Rowan scratched her chin while wondering how to put this. Since Hailey wasn’t around… ever, she didn’t know her aunt’s stance on corps.

“That’s because it doesn’t exist,” John said from against the wall.

Great… thanks for that, brother.

Drawing her eyebrows together, Hailey said, “But…”

“Shalen Corp, sis,” Bay gently said.

Hailey’s eyes widened while her lips parted, and all the while, Thomas and Mia shuffled in place, looking anywhere but at the nobles in their midst. Rowan kept an eye on Thomas in particular. She knew he wanted to protest how John had used his connection to something he hated as his defining characteristic, but fortunately, her friend remembered his manners, keeping his lips sealed.

“Oh!” Hailey said. “Well, I’m doubly pleased to meet you, then. I’ve always thought the Atharian nobles’ insistence on mingling only with themselves was a bit ridiculous. If any of you travel elsewhere, you’ll find that nobles and those unassociated with a House mix company quite frequently. Good on the three of you for flouting the norm here.”

Ho.ly. shit. Rowan might just turn Shoya Drenish herself, tackling Hailey so she could nuzzle her to death, but somehow, she restrained herself.

Turning to Rowan, Mia said, “I like her.”

Her words only seemed to prompt the same sentiment in Hailey, as she burst into laughter with snorts sprinkled into it. Pressing a hand to her mouth, she turned aside, waving at their concerned expressions, and Bay puffed out a small sigh.

“If we’re all gathered, we should move into the dining room,” she said. “From what I understand, Eugene has finished dinner, and we should enjoy it while it’s hot.”

Shit. Rowan had forgotten to mention Asher to her mom.

“Actually…”

Already on their way deeper into the manse, Rowan’s family and friends glanced back at her, and she flushed.

“Actually, I invited someone else to join us tonight,” she said. “I hope that’s ok.”

Arching an eyebrow, her mom said, “Really? That’s unusual for you. Who is it?”

Before Rowan could answer, an attendant slipped through the front door as if summoned, scurrying to whisper in Bay’s ear, and Rowan’s mom turned a confused smile on her.

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“Yes,” Rowan said. “Please, mom.”

Please, let this member of a rival noble family inside the house. Please, let her have this friend.

“All right,” Bay said. “Send him in.”

Oh, hell. She wasn’t giving Rowan a chance to warn Mia or Thomas about what was coming? She knew her mom liked her small mischiefs, it being her way of paying tribute to her homeland, but this seemed excessive, although…. maybe Bay thought she’d already told them about this.

Rowan’s friends were staring at her, almost aggressively, and she shrunk on herself as the attendant stopped by the foyer’s door, opening it.

“Lord Asher Cerullis,” she announced.

And he stepped over the threshold in his typical, flamboyant fashion, effectively shutting everyone in the room up.

Beside Rowan, Thomas’ breath caught, although she didn’t know if that was from surprise or anger. He’d gone stiff, fixing his bright eyes on Asher, but the Cerullis heir had equally become a statue, flicking his eyes over all of them but continually returning to Rowan and Thomas.

Avan, Rowan didn’t know where he kept finding these suits, so far from a noble’s traditional black jacket and slacks, but the crimson one he was wearing tonight with a black waistcoat and white shirt beneath pleasantly complemented his natural hues.

“Rowan… is this the guy who’s been eating up your free time for the last three weeks?” Mia asked.

“Mia,” Rowan hissed through the teeth of her grin.

She wasn’t sure how she resisted the urge to smack her friend upside the head. Fortunately, her mom decided to relieve her torment at that moment, striding forward.

“Lord Cerullis, you’ll have to forgive us,” she said. “My daughter neglected to mention that you’d be joining us tonight. It must have slipped from her mind while making preparations.”

“It did!” Rowan said, jumping in. “I’m so sorry, Asher. Coordination like this isn’t my strong suit.”

Bay paused in extending a welcoming hand toward Asher, narrowing her eyes at Rowan, while someone behind her poorly contained laughter before retreating. She made a note to turn John’s life into a living hell for the next few days.

But then, her mom returned to what she’d been doing, clasping the hand of a rival House’s heir.

“Asher?” Mia hissed at Rowan in much the same way she’d done earlier.

Rowan shrugged, watching Bay cup Asher’s elbow to guide him inside. As her mom did that, she noticed that Thomas had yet to relax with his face frozen and lips parted. Worried that she’d killed him with shock, she nudged him, and sucking in a breath, he shook himself.

“The hell, Rowan?” he breathed. “Why’d you invite him here?”

That had sounded angry. Did Thomas have a problem with Asher that Rowan didn’t know about? Besides the obvious one, of course.

Hell. The obvious problem. What had she been thinking, bringing a member of House Cerullis near Thomas Shalen? That boy had been carrying an aggressive grudge against Cerullis since… since the family’s famous fire.

But Rowan didn’t have time to answer any questions, whether his or hers, as Bay drew closer, forcing her into making greetings and introductions. When she stopped, releasing Asher, her mom watched her expectantly, and predictably, Rowan’s mind dumped everything that could be useful out of her memory.

“Hi. Um-”

Great. Really fucking eloquent.

“As I said, I’m sorry about-” Rowan started.

“Goodness, you certainly like apologizing, don’t you?” Asher said with a soft smile. “It’s fine, Rowan. Who are these lovely individuals at your side? Friends? Family?”

At her name on his tongue, everyone rocketed their eyes to Rowan, including Aunt Hailey, although she seemed more intrigued than shocked. Ignoring them, Rowan rested a hand on Mia’s shoulder, containing a grimace. She’d rather not introduce the noble versus corp drama yet so…

Why not avoid it for now?

“They’re friends,” she said. “This is Mia.”

Asher raised an eyebrow at Rowan’s failure to provide a family name, but he didn’t protest it.

“A pleasure,” he said, bowing to Mia. “Rowan has mentioned you many times over the last few weeks. From what she’s said, you’re an excellent friend, which is good. She deserves nothing less in her life.”

Oh, well played. The frigid air around Mia melted, and she returned Asher’s bow with a dazzling smile.

“She hasn’t been able to shut up about you either, so kudos,” she said. “Not many nobles get past her typical disdain of them.”

There was a small frown at that, but Asher didn’t voice his concern.

“Good to know she’s enjoyed my company,” he said before facing Rowan. “And the gentleman beside you?”

Gulping at how much Thomas had bristled, Rowan briefly touched his shoulder.

“Thomas,” she said, unsure how much more she should provide.

Once their eyes met, both boys refused to move for the longest moment, one that stretched until Rowan didn’t think she could take it anymore, but the thick air around them loosened when Asher offered Thomas his hand.

“It’s nice to meet you,” he said.

It was like he’d somehow plucked the best way to greet her friend from thin air. Thomas had always hated the stuffy bows and flowery greeting associated with nobles, so the simplicity of Asher’s greeting had been perfect, but even still, when Thomas took his hand, shaking it once, his smile had bite.

“Same,” he stiffly said.

Dropping his hand to his side, he flexed his fingers as if shrugging off Asher’s touch. Aunt Hailey watched this exchange with the most merriment possible in her eyes, but once she’d had enough, she clapped her hands together.

“You’ll have to forgive me, Lord Cerullis,” she said. “I’d love to greet you more formally, but I’m starving. Shall we head to the dining room?”

“Lady Chinook, your sensible attitude is a delight,” Asher said. “I skipped lunch, so I’m as eager as you to taste our fare for the evening.”

“Oo…” Hailey said, looking him up and down. “You’re good at this.”

With a small smile, Asher said, “Thank you. I’ve had a lot of practice.”

Mom snatched her sister’s arm, gesturing everyone along, before whisking her ahead of them, but she didn’t create enough distance before hissing at Aunt Hailey.

“You cannot seduce the heir of a rival House.”

“Oh, don’t worry, Bay. I doubt I could,” Hailey said, glancing back at the others. “I don’t think I’m his type.”

And she’d sounded so amused by that. Rowan’s face was burning, but Asher only watched the older women leaving them in their dust with curiosity.

“Is your family always this much fun?” he asked.

“When we’re around people we’re comfortable with,” Rowan said. “Go on ahead with them. I need to check on something, but I’ll follow you shortly.”

“All right,” Asher said. “Don’t leave me at their mercy for long, please.”

“I’d never.”

When Rowan turned to her friends, Thomas had his eyes pinned on Asher’s retreating back, chewing on his lip, while Mia was glaring at her with fire in those typically ice-blue eyes.

“I’m sorry,” Rowan said, lifting her hands to either side. “I like him, ok? He’s nice and has a lot of weird, interesting quirks.”

That drew Thomas’ attention to her.

“You like him?” he asked.

Frowning, Rowan said, “Yes. Can we go, please? I am sorry for inviting Asher without asking you two about it first, but if we stay here for much longer, we might cause an incident.”

Heaving a sigh, Mia nodded before turning to her brother.

“Food, Thomas,” she said. “You know how good the Kolb’s cook is at his craft.”

Grumbling to himself, Thomas shoved his hands in his pockets, tucking his chin to his chest as he hurried after the others. Rolling her eyes, Mia went with him, and once they’d gotten a few paces ahead of her, Rowan marched toward the exit from the foyer, reaching around it to pinch John’s collar.

Jerking him to her, she growled, “I just finished making nice with Cerullis. Don’t ruin it because you can’t control yourself.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry,” John said. “Avan, when you get like this, I remember why you were always the darling of our combat instructors.”

Rowan got in his face.

“This darling will kick your ass if you wreck tonight for me,” she said. “Got it?”

John rapidly nodded, and releasing him, Rowan pecked his cheek.

“Thank you, big brother.”

“Any time, itty bitty-”

“I swear to avan, I might kick your ass now if you finish that thought.”

He laughed, of course, but Rowan couldn’t stop him from doing that.

The dining room table was laid out in typical fashion with formal place settings in front of its chairs. A chandelier provided the room with light, although it wasn’t bright enough to banish the shadows in the corners.

Everyone strolled to stand behind their chosen, high-backed chair, and the majority looked to Bay. As the wife of the head of House Kolb, she held the highest rank while under this roof and so, led the proceedings.

When she signaled, attendants appeared as if by magic, bearing their first course of the evening, and in tandem, they placed bowls and glasses in front of each chair, careful not to touch the people waiting behind them. Once that was done, mom pulled out her chair, and after they’d all sat down, she took a bite of a cream-based soup, washing it down with a sip of wine. None of the rest moved, simply waiting for her pronouncement.

“Excellent,” she said. “Let us share in the bounty before us and enjoy one another’s company.”

As expected, Rowan joined the others in saying.

“Gratitude to the provider.”

But then, those around the table relaxed, and Rowan hungrily dove for what turned out to be a squash soup, which was heavenly as usual. Finding Eugene, their cook, had been one of the better staff acquisitions her parents had made.

Conversation started out slow but quickly gained traction. Rowan didn’t pay it much mind, even given that three of the people here were her guests. When it came to food, she’d always been a bit focused.

She did catch the heat that ignited every time Asher addressed Thomas, thanking her lucky stars when John stepped in before it could turn into a full-on argument. Her brother kept shooting glances Rowan’s way, but she didn’t know how to help with that. She was only just now coming to realize how much of a mistake she’d made in bringing someone from the Cerullis and Shalen families together in such an abrupt manner.

She perked up when Asher started talking about one of his projects, shocked that he’d discuss it with her family.

“-it be nice to control when it rained or keep severe weather away from a populated area?” he was saying. “With such fine-tuning, farming would be so much easier, and think of the lives we could save!”

Oh, no. He was waxing passionate. Avan help her family if he went off on one of his rambling lectures. Rowan might enjoy them, but she doubted they would.

“Yes, Asher’s told me all about his weather manipulation project. It’s quite brilliant!” she said. “Hardly the best of them, though.”

Everyone at the table looked at her as if they’d forgotten she existed, and despite how much she wanted to both sink below the table and scream at the top of her lungs, she merely smiled, waiting for the group’s attention to inevitably shift away from her.

“What other projects can you tell us about?” John asked.

And there it was. Rowan was left out. Again.

Not that she was fostering her ability to be included, bending over her bacon-wrapped steak so she could suck it into her mouth as she was. She was aware of this, but that made it sting no less.

As they finished off dessert, her mom leaned back in her chair.

“Well. It was certainly nice of you to join us this evening, Lord Cerullis,” she said. “I hope you’ve enjoyed yourself.”

“I have! Your household and company have been exceedingly pleasant, Lady Kolb,” Asher said. “And please. Call me Asher, everyone. It’ll make conversations go so much easier.”

With a faintly twitching smile, Bay said, “Very well, Asher. How long do you think you’ll be staying with us this evening? You’re welcome here for as long as you like, of course. I’d simply like to know if I should have arrangements made for you.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t want to impose.”

Standing, Asher buttoned up his jacket.

“I’ll say my farewells and-”

“Please, stay!”

Rowan didn’t realize she’d spoken that cry out loud until she registered that she was standing with her fingers pressing into the tabletop. Again, everyone was staring at her, but while her family looked blank, Mia and her brother were giving Rowan very different expressions. Thomas looked incredulous while Mia was practically begging Rowan to stop. Asher, on the other hand, was giving her that recognizably curious look he sometimes got, cocking his head with his eyes narrowed, and that spot of familiarity helped Rowan with regaining her lost voice.

“I mean… I had some entertainment planned for tonight,” she said. “I was hoping you’d join me and my friends.”

And there was that uncertain twitch of the lips she’d come to know, although Rowan wasn’t sure why Asher’s eyes briefly darted to Thomas. Maybe he was worried the other boy would attack him if he stuck around for too long.

“I’d… be delighted, Rowan,” he said before turning to Bay. “If the Lady Kolb is amenable, of course.”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Bay said. “My daughter has hardly ever shown an interest in building relations with other Houses.”

That had Asher’s amber skin darkening, which Rowan found confusing, and Thomas made the faintest of strangled noises, which mystified her even more. When Aunt Hailey started cackling like a witch, Rowan decided she’d missed something again. In the past, pretending that she knew what was going on had always been best when this happened, so she grinned.

“Does that mean you’ll stay?” she asked.

Glancing over the table, Asher said, “I believe I may have backed myself into it.”

“Yes!” Rowan shouted, jumping as she threw a fist overhead. “We’re going to have so much fun. Come on, come on, come on!”

She tugged on Mia and Thomas until they got to their feet before stopping short.

“May we be excused, mom?” she asked.

Rolling her eyes, Bay said, “Yes, Rowan. Begone with you.”

As she flapped a hand, Rowan pulled her friends toward the door, beckoning to Asher once she’d shoved them through it. On reaching her, he cautiously edged around her to get into the hall, which she ruined by blazing past him to lead the way.

Behind them, John said, “If they’re about to do what I think they’re about to do, you might want to have another room prepared, mo-”

But then, the door closed, cutting him off, and Rowan was pulling and prodding her three guests through the house.

0