Chapter Five
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Josha stamps her foot again.

“But I need more on the figure! If we have more info on it, then it should help us better understand the Depths!”

I hold a hand up, waiting for a moment where they’re not just yelling at each other.

“Um… what figure?”

Josha starts, having almost forgotten I was standing right there.

“Oh! Knightess! Sorry, I didn’t mean to leave you out of the conversation! Let me get you up to speed. Our survey team brought back some artifacts from a journey into the Depths. One of them caught my eye.”

 

She leads me over to a small slab of rock.

“This piece of slate. Specifically, the image depicted on it. See that figure standing on two legs with one arm upraised? Well, I have a theory. I think it could be evidence that a mysterious people once LIVED in the Depths. That’s why I want to go down there- so I can see if there are any more depictions like this one! I want to see for myself!”

The young Sheikah sighs in frustration.

“But Goggles here says it’s too dangerous, and he won’t let me go…”

Robbie looks torn, like he wants to let the girl’s inquisitive nature flourish, but also concerned for her safety and well-being.

“Josha, come on now… Tell you what. I’ll go down there myself and see if I can’t find anything about the figure on that slate. And Linka will join me!”

I blink. “I will?”

Robbie nods, grinning.

“We’ll start by looking for anything down there that resembles the figure on the slate! Assuming we find what we’re looking for, we’ll use your Purah Pad’s camera to take a picture of it for Josha! A perfect plan!”

I bite my lip. “Well… ALMOST perfect. The camera’s not working. Some of the Purah Pad’s systems got corrupted, and haven’t been fixed yet. The map data all got ruined, too, so I’ve been visiting the Towers to try and restore it with Purah’s help.”

 “What?! Okay, hand that thing over; I’ll see what I can do…” Robbie pulls a series of tools from his workbelt, fiddling and poking at the Purah Pad, before prying open the back and rooting around in there with careful assurance.

“There! It’s reading green across the board now! I’ll show you how to use it once we get down there! There are reports of a LOT of different monsters in the Depths, though, so I’ll be counting on you to keep me safe! Let’s see… from here…. The chasm south of Lookout Landing is the closest. We should probably enter through there! I’ll go on ahead. Meet me there when you’re ready!”

As Josha tries to slow him down, Robbie bolts and fast as his ancient legs can carry him. The young Sheikah scientist slumps a little.

“Looks like he’s gone… I’m sorry that you got roped into all of this, Knightess. Goggles means well, but when he wants to help me, he leaps before he looks. But, if you’re going after him, perhaps these will help you out?”

She hands me a small cloth bag. Opening it, I smile.

“Oh, Brightbloom seeds! I’ve used these before; they’ll definitely be of great help! Thanks, Josha!”

“H-here, these too!” she hands me a small bundle of arrows.

“Also really helpful, thanks so much!”

The young girl shakes her head. “Not at all! Please, look after Goggles for me!”

 

I make my way south from the research outpost. Robbie’s Ancient Tech Lab in Akkala had been invaluable to Zelda’s research, so I owed him a couple of favours. Helping him out with this seems like a good way to repay him. Approaching the chasm, I ask about, and find out the diminutive engineer has already taken a balloon and descended into the pit in front of me. The ground around it is stained in Gloom, and I cautiously circumnavigate the lip, before throwing myself in, holding off on deploying my paraglider until I’m out of the narrow hole and into the vast, impossibly-huge cavern beneath me.

 

On landing, Ponnick, one of the Zonai Survey team I’ve worked with before all the Upheaval stuff happened, greets me. Robbie apparently took off towards the west, past some glowing root or something. I sigh. Impatient old fossil, he could’ve waited a few minutes! Ah well, he can’t be THAT far ahead. I’ll track him down soon…]

Reaching the glowing object in a few minutes, I see one of those glowing green handprints. This is some kind of… Zonai travel point? Or is there more to it? I reach up, my Hand of Rauru somehow resonating with the thing. A few moments later, the orange ‘root’ seems to brighten, before turning yellow and lighting up, driving the darkness back from tthe object’s immediate surroundings.

“Whoa! That’s… actually really useful; you’re like some kind of… Lightroot, I guess. That name works as good as any. Lightroot. A root that sheds light.”

Looking around, I spot a fire, and a note scribbled on a piece of paper. I pick it up and read it.

Hey, you! It’s REALLY dark down here. Not one bit of light reaches down here from the surface. Even with my goggles, I can hardly see. Probably should’ve brought some brightbloom seeds with me, now that I think about it. Anyway, as one of the few sources of light, the glowing root growing down from above has piqued my curiosity. I’m not sure what it is, but it seems harmless enough. It’s roughly positioned below the shrine on the surface… hmmm… anyway, there’s another glowing root to the west of here, so get moving, young lady!

Hmm… under the shrine, huh? Is that unique to THIS Lightroot? Or maybe ALL of them are like this? That’s something that bears further testing. Later, though. I have to find my wandering science-doer.

Making my way to the second Lightroot, I make it brighten, expanding the range of my visibility. I’m DEFINITELY going to want to keep an eye out for those.  Not far away, I spot a camp of monsters. Two Moblins and a handful of Bokoblins. They look… wrong, though, even for monsters. They’re stained with Gloom, the red-and-black taint spreading over their bodies. They seem to be… mining? Why would they… Zonaite! That construct on the Great Sky Island said it was found only in the Depths! This is perfect! I’LL be taking that, thanks!

Sneaking over, I nock an arrow and let fly, two swift shots bringing down one of the Bokoblins on a crude watchtower, before taking aim at another. It falls, exploding into foul purple smoke, before its comrades are upon me, seeking to grind me into a fine paste. I stow my bow, drawing a decayed sword out and Fusing a Lizalfos horn to it, before slashing through two more Bokoblins. The first Moblin to reach me slams down a claymore, trying to cleave me in twain with a single blow, but I break the blade of my Lizalfos sword off in its chest. It doesn’t fall, though, and I dig out a second blade, finishing the job, before taking a hit from the second. My shield protects me, though, and I make equally quick work of the big oaf.

Two more Bokoblins fall to my arrows, and I claim my prize. Almost thirty chunks of Zonaite, a handful of giant brightbloom seeds, and some uselessly-worn weapons.

With a little hunting around, I spot where Robbie’s set himself up. Approaching the diminutive Sheikah, I smile as he’s staring up at the illuminated Lightroot.

“Look at how bright that thing got! That light down here in this perpetual dark is downright refreshing. Hmmm…. In fact, it’s so luminous, it’s almost like… like we’re on the surface! Just standing near it makes me feel so much better how strange… Anyway, I need to show you what I’ve found. Look!”

Robbie turns, pointing at an object lit by the warm radiance of the Lightroot.

“This statue… it’s standing tall on two legs, one arm raised high…”

I nod. “Just like the slate Josha showed us!”

Robbie nods. “Get that camera ready! It’s time to put it to work.”

I nod, stepping back a couple of times, raising the Purah Pad and aiming the camera’s lens at the statue. Once I’m satisfied I can get enough detail in it for Josha, I press the button and the Purah Pad clicks loudly.

When I wave at Robbie, he scurries over and I show him the image.

“Ah, stupendous! I’m sure this will satisfy Josha’s curiosity somewhat… well, I’d say it’s time I head back up to the surface. See you at Lookout Landing! Don’t make Josha wait too long for that picture!”

While Robbie starts making his way back to his balloon, I examine the statue. Sure enough, it looks like it’s pointing somewhere. Turning to look ing the direction it seems to indicate, I spot another statue, pointing the same way. A few metres beyond, there’s another.

“Hmmm… where are they leading? This seems way too obvious to JUST be some kind of funny positioning…”

On a hunch, I set out to follow them. If the worst comes to pass and I get lost or in trouble, I can always use the Purah Pad to escape by travelling to one of the Skyview Towers.

The statues lead off into the darkness, and I’m very glad I have a large quantity of Brightbloom seeds. I’d rather not over-use them, but the darkness is so all-encompassing and pervasive. I end up using more than I’d like, but the light is worth it. Anything that increases my ability to see where the hell I’m going is worth the minor fear that I might run out eventually.

I follow the path the statues seem to indicate, minutes turning to hours as I trudge along, the sound of my boots on the strange, loose gravel the only thing that breaks the silence. The statues are pretty lame company, sadly, and I get bored, surprisingly. I didn’t think it was possible to get jaded with walking through massive subterranean grottoes filled with monsters and ruins and ALL the darkness in the world.

Something big starts to loom through the shadows. There’s small points of light on it, and, upon using my Purah Pad’s scope, I realise that it’s a building! What the hell is a full-on BUILDING doing down here? Did the Zonai go as far as industrializing the freakin’ underworld???

 

 

I get closer, keeping my eyes open for any sign of movement, either from monsters, or constructs, or anything. There’s a humanoid figure, but I can’t tell much at this distance.  I keep getting closer, and see one of those green handprints projected by a construct. There’s someone who looks like one of the Zonai survey team poking around at it curiously. There’s another one taking notes.

I approach them.

“Hey, what’s going on? Found something interesting?”

The notepad-wielding woman lowers it for a moment.

“Oh, did you pass the interview too? Er… never mind, it’s not important. What IS important is this text we’re investigating. It’s fascinating. It claims that this stone statue should be able to bestow an ‘ancient power’ upon us.”

She points to the construct. I raise an eyebrow.

“An… ancient power?”

The researcher nods delightedly.

“That’s right! This peculiar stone statue is nothing less than one of the fabled constructs! In fact, this writing here explains this so-called ‘ancient power’ in detail. It reads, ‘this ability will allow you to commit any structure you create to memory. Any object committed to memory can be instantly reproduced’. Just think of it! If we could instantly re-create anything we’d ever made… the Yi- er, I mean, the survey team’s, uh… investigation of this land would be swift and unstoppable! The text further claims this construct should be able to grant us that power! We just have to wake it up!”

 

I frown, stepping back, schooling my face into a thoughtful expression.

“Hmmm… I guess it’s not as simple as just making some noise and rousing it like you would wake up someone who’s overslept, huh… I’ll go look around, maybe there’s something else around that’ll help. I’ll call you if I find anything!”

I scamper into the huge foundry, the two researchers still hard at work. Once I’m out of sight, I let out a quiet groan. Come on, you idiots! You almost name-dropped who you really are! I’m not stupid! ‘Yi’? You’re from the YIGA Clan! But… what the hell are two Yiga assassins doing here, of all places?!

 

After about thirty minutes, during which I eat an apple and relax in some out-of-the-way corner, I formulate a strategy. I’ll play along with this little charade, claim the power for myself to keep it out of the Yiga Clan’s clutches, and, if necessary, fight them off and get out of here with the power at my behest.

 

Returning to the construct, I smile winningly at the two disguised assassins.

“I think I might be able to figure this out. Please step back!”

The two Yiga back up a few paces, and I reach out, touching the green glowing handprint. A travel point activates, and the construct beeps and chirrs, unfolding and extending its neck and limbs.

“Authorized user verified. Conferring Autobuild program to authorized user now.”

The two Yiga gasp. “It… it’s moving!”

The construct chimes, “please utilize this program as you explore the Depths and excavate Zonaite.”

My right hand begins to glow as the strange green-blue energy coils around my fingers and sink in. I feel a new understanding of the power I’ve just been given. I can already tell it’s going to be a big help.

One of the Yiga gasps, “Did… Did I see what I thought I saw? Did that thing just… give you the power we’ve been researching??”

The other asks, “C-could I trouble you to give us a demonstration?”

I shrug. “sure, I don’t mind. Do you have anything in mind?”

The two ‘researchers’ share a look.

“As luck would have it, both of our vehicles broke down after getting here, and we’ve been struggling to repair them. Mine lost a wheel, and the other completely fell to bits…”

I nod. “Alright, I’ll see what I can do.”

After sticking the wheel back onto the mostly-intact vehicle, I turn back to the pile of parts. Focussing on Autobuild, I open my hand, and see a ghostly replica of the vehicle I’d just repaired, the parts on the floor lifting into the air and snapping into place. Clenching my hand into a fist, I watch as the newly-restored vehicle drop a foot or so onto the ground, perfectly repaired.

 

The two camouflaged assassins share delighted looks.

“Whoa! It’s like I’m seeing double! Built in less than no time flat, too! This is exactly what we were hoping for! Thank you, ancient power!”

The second cutthroat whoops, “The texts were right, after all!”

“I’ll say! That power’s incredible! Oh, Maaaaster!”

I start. Oh, crap! I hadn’t counted on them having backup! Who-?!

I whirl as the two fake researchers vanish in a swirl of talismans and a burst of red light.

A voice rings out.

“Well, look at that… the legends were true!”

I stare in stunned surprise as a familiar figure appears.

A paunchy, stout-framed Yiga with a more ornate uniform appears. His voice is unmistakable, too. I’ve met him before… five years ago… after he and his goons stole the Thunder Helm from the Gerudo…

“Great work, both of you! You too, stranger. Credit where credit is due yes, credit where credit… is…”

Suddenly, the fat Yiga stomps his foot. “If there’s one foe I’ll never forget, it’s the meddling… woman… who cast me from my Gerudo Desert hideout into these very Depths! It was YOU!”

I sigh. “Yiga Master Kohga. How horrible to meet you again. How in Hylia’s name did you even survive? I thought for sure you were dead after you overdid it with your ‘ultimate secret technique’.”

“I’m not telling! And now I live for vengeance! Both upon that no-good Zelda, and upon my sworn enemy! That means you, Link…A?”

I nod. “Linka, that’s right. Good job for remembering.”

“Arghahahahahahahahaaa! We meet again at last! We are bound by fate, you and I! Hear my name and tremble in fear! I am still the leader of the Yiga clan! The strong! The Depths-defying! From the ashes, rising! MASTER KOHGA!”

 

I sardonically applaud his little war-poses. “Yes, yes, I remember you. It’s quite hard to forget such a formidable foe as yourself.” I say dryly.

“I saw it all. I saw the moment you stole the ancient power we’ve sought for so long! The highlight of all the musty old texts we’ve found in this land! A long-lost ability from the distant past!  So you… you’re CHEATING!”

I stare in mild surprise as the fat ninja stamps his foot in a tantrum. The two minions look at him, then each other, and start stamping their feet as well.

“Here we are, working ourselves to the bone to build things by hand… and you can just whip them up in an instant! THAT’S NOT FAIR!”

The trio stop drumming their feet on the stonework, and their leader growls,

“You know who could’ve used that power? The one we worship and revere- the Magnificent One! If we offered it to him, he would have crushed you and Zelda both… but YOU just waltzed right up and snatched it away! Now I’M gonna snatch it right back!”

With a fluttering swarm of talismans and a puff of red light, Kohga disappears, reappearing outside the front of the building, in a wide, circular space. Some kind of crude vehicle appears, and he climbs aboard, cackling maniacally.

“Prepare yourself!”

 As he drives the strange creation at me, his minions create a ring of impassable slabs around us. I simply dodge the vehicle, prompting Kohga to create some kind of big rock and launch it at me.

With Recall at my disposal, I simply send it right back at him, knocking him sprawling and out of his machine. Sprinting over, I pull a Lizalfos-horn-tipped spear out and begin jabbing him in the sensitive regions.

When he scrambles aboard his craft and starts the whole teleporting thing again, I look around for where he shows up again. This time, he doesn’t stop trying to run me over, and I resort to Fusing an apple to an arrow and beaning him straight in the mug with it.

“Bwagh!” he topples over, and I end up breaking my spear this time as I repeatedly assail his wobbly-bits with it.

“Aw, that was my favourite spear!” I sigh, before Fusing a Lizalfos horn to a sword instead. When he reappears, he’s added a front-facing shield to his machine, preventing me from shooting him in a forward assault. I simply dodge to the side and use a Keese eyeball to Fuse an arrow that homes in on his big stupid top-knot.

After another quick beating, he teleports himself and his creation to the other side of the makeshift arena, using a pair of rockets to increase his speed massively. He’s also added side-panels, so my homing-arrow trick won’t work. I simply dodge, letting him careen into the arena wall and stun himself. BEATING TIME!

Another quick drubbing, and he teleports away again. That trick’s really getting old, but I don’t want to let him know that or he’ll do it more often.

He throws the same speed-based charge attack at me, and I simply dart out of the way, letting him do some of the work for me. This time, I deliver enough of a thrashing that he flies out the front and rolls across the dirt. Hauling himself up, he starts fuming at me.

“Ugh! You pesky little… PEST! Why won’t you stand still and let me squish you?! Well, fine, whatever… I suppose I can let you off early this time. You think you’re so damn clever… but I’ve already found a whole bunch of ruins down here! I saw your little trick, too. You used your right hand to get that construct going.  I’ll grab that power you cheated me out of for MYSELF, at the Southwestern abandoned mine! Then, the Magnificent One and I will guide this world to its miserable end. And there’s nothing YOU can do to stop us!”

I stare in bemusement as he summons a glider with several fans bolted onto it, and takes off, yelling, “So don’t follow meeeeee!”

 

A treasure chest falls off the glider as he disappears, and I shake my head. “Freakin’ weirdos, I swear…”

Inside the chest is a heap of crystallized charges, and I count them all. 100 of them! That’s enough for another Zonai Energy Cell! The construct chimes, “Excuse me. Thank you for repelling the trespassers. I hope you will pardon me for listening in on your conversation. That man mentioned an abandoned mine to the southwest. I suspect he is referring to the former Gerudo Mine. That place flourished with activity long ago, much like this one. Ore was constantly being unearthed and refined. There are statues that point the way to the abandoned Gerudo Mine. You can follow them to reach that destination. I recommend you begin by making your way to the light you see over there.”

 

I spot one of the Lightroots off in the near-distance, and nod.

“Good idea.”

“One more thing before you set off on your journey. There is something I would like you to have. Please speak with my associate when possible.”

I nod, and head to speak to the other construct. The beeping machine speaks to me.

“Thank you for driving out the trespassers. I will no longer need to hide in order to avoid detection. There is another reason that it is good you have come. I see you have the ability to Autobuild. That means this schema stone is meant for you. It contains a schematic that will be registered automatically. You will be able to build it at any time.”

I nod, and ‘remember’ how to build a fanplane.  Now that I’ve unlocked a travel point here, I’ll come back later. Time to head back and see Josha.

 

Arriving back at Lookout Landing thanks to the travel points, I hurry over to show the young Sheikah the picture. She squeals in glee as she grabs the Purah Pad, staring at the image.

“This is it! It does indeed match what’s on the fragment! Thank you, knightess! Just like on the slate, this figure must be showing people of some sort. This confirms my theory- that people lived in the Depths! I’m sure we’ll find more traces of them if we keep searching. This is… A BIG, BIG, BIG DISCOVERY!”

She begins rushing around the room. “Now, what’s next!  The possibilities… there’s so much more to research! Oh, but first! I want to give you something as thanks for helping with this stage of my investigation! Our earlier surveys of the Depths found all of this. What do you think it’s for?”

She hands me a handful of Zonaite chunks. I accept them, grateful. These will definitely be put to good use. Now, I should probably head to the Forgotten Temple and meet Impa. The journey might take a day or two, but I’m reasonably familiar with Hyrule’s geography.

 

 Or I was, until the Upheaval. Luckily, it won’t have changed the landscape itself too drastically, and I should be able to navigate well enough. The Forgotten Temple is the kind of landmark that no-one really pays much attention to. It IS called the ‘Forgotten’ Temple, after all.  I’ve only been there once or twice, with Zel, when she wanted to study the ruins in order to learn from them. She didn’t seem to find much, and left disappointed. But now, I have to meet the elderly Sheikah there. What could possibly be there that could help?

 

 

0