Chapter 1 : The Cold Spring Morning
117 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the early morning where the sunlight had yet illuminating the ground, thick white mist blanketing the village, limiting one vision. In this village that located in the base of the mountain, it was daily occurrence to the resident around here. This is why usually they would start their activity later, when the sun shines and dispersing the mist. 

In this dark morning, a boy wakes up from his cold and hard bed. Shivering from the cold, he's exhaling breath to his hands and rubbing it together to generate heat. While this action serves little to warming up his body, the gesture seems help him to staves off the cold. 

"Brrr.... I would never be accustomed to the cold here" the boy grumbles, as his small body getting out from his bed. He slides out from the blanket that covering him slowly, refraining from a big move lest he waking up the person that sleep soundly beside him. After managing to get out from the bed without waking John up, he slowly walks out from the house that seems too big for to be only occupied by two people. 

The boy, Mikhail, at the age of six walks to the small field behind his house. In the time where people rarely wake up let alone do their work, Mikhail standing up alone behind his house is surely an odd view. If people see this, they would assume that they're seeing ghost or people attempting to rob a house. 

Mikhail, who is still groggy from waking up early start to stretching his body. He's doing repeated set of movement where he holding his body in specific pose to target a specific muscle to stretch. After finished stretching, he starts to move his body dynamically, warming up his body preparing to do a workout. 

As the sweat start to appear after a warm up exercise, Mikhail start to do a push up. Moving slowly and surely, he's making sure that every movement done in a correct form. After 20 repetition, he stopped and standing up, resting and preparing next exercise. As he done resting and collecting energy, he starts doing a plank. Mikhail also doing it slowly in a correct posture, in this exercise and in the next body weight workout regime that he planned. 

After a solid workout, slightly out of breath, Mikhail sit down and smile. 

"Huh, finally i'm able to finish my workout plan without overexerting myself" Mikhail content with himself and his body, feeling proud for able to finishing a workout regime without exhausting himself.

For the last two year, he had to stop the training before exhaustion kicking in to prevent injuries caused by not healing properly. 

"A child body is frail it makes me afraid that a normal workout would stunt my growth or inflicting a debilitating injury"

Mikhail has been doing his workout regime for two years. With the fact that he doing it consistently everyday with such detailed plan, it's hard to think that he is a six year old child. Even more bizzare that a four year old child can think to train his body. The twist as implicitly stated, Mikhail was a reincarnated person. 

"A healthy strong body always needed, whether you in a normal world or a supernatural world" Mikhail mused as he lying down, to get more relaxed rest. 

He was kind of aware that he reincarnated as a newborn baby. The only thing that made him unsure is that before he reached two years old, his memory is very fuzzy as if he was dreaming. He can barely recall anything, and any piece of memory that he can remember is so fragmented that he's unsure that the thing he pictured is really happen. 

"For four years, i still don't know whether i was reincarnated in magical world or normal one. Asking to others also seems ridiculous and dangerous idea" Mikhail sighed to himself. 

Mikhail hesitation was to be expected. Before he reincarnated, he was just an average joe that have no superior quality to him. The premise of living in the backward world without electricity or dangerous yet exciting supernatural world is equally unpleasant to him. The best thing he can offer to his survival is only ability to mask off any negative feeling from other. Mikhail might be transparent when it comes to joy, but he can hide his dissapointment, sadness, anger and hate from others to see. 

"Till this day, i still haven't got my reincarnation privilege" Mikhail muttered sadly. 

"Where's my system, where's my unparalleled cultivation technique or superior bloodline, where's my spiritual old man. Anything, anyone, just help me out here!!! " Mikhail vexedly pouring out his resentment. 

This situation happen often in the past four years. While Mikhail knows that there's nothing he can do about it, sometimes he need to just vent his discontentment. While he now lives a relatively easy life, who knows what happen in the future or even tomorrow. 

While Mikhail lays down, he hears a faint footsteps that getting louder. He knew who's this footsteps belong to. There's only one people that would go to field he resides in this early morning. 

"Mikhail, are you done with your training? Help me with the cooking after you done!" 

Mikhail slowly standing up "Okay, i'll be right there John"

While patting down the dirt in his back and behind, Mikhail walks back to their house. 

"Even after two years, i still can't believe you can wake up this early and do a training" 

John intrigued as he picking up some vegetables and jerky from the drawer. 

"I might have told you this many times but be careful with your training. Your body is still growing. If you sustain injuries thats not healed properly, it will impact you for the rest of your life"

"I know. You always see me after my training and yet you never catch me exhausted after a workout do you?" Mikhail retorted. 

"Well that's true..." John agreeing with Mikhail statement. 

As the vegetables are put in the basket, John is preparing the pot and start to light the fire. 

"Let me wash the vegetables, i also want to wipe my sweat"

"Okay... " John wave his hand without looking at him. 

Mikhail pick up the basket and walk over to the creek. As he arrived, he begin to wash the vegetable and leave it on the bank. Mikhail take off his clothes and wiping his body with water. With the face washed last, he bends over to bring his face close to the water. 

Mikhail saw his reflection. The black hair, the light brown eye, the face that not so remarkably handsome, but could pass as a pleasant looks. A body that relatively toned for a six year old really gives his appearances a masculine touch. 

Mikhail get himself out of the creek, waiting for his body to dry and dazing off staring at the forest across the creek. Vast greenery that slowly elevated, climbing up to the mountain reminds him of the story that John tell him not a long time ago. 

Apparently, Mikhail was an abandoned child, and John found him in the forest near the village entrance. John, who at that time was fifteen, already orphaned because his parents dead in work accident, heard a cry in the direction of the forest. It was then he found a baby, swaddled in wool blanket inside a basket with a rough wooden plaque with character carved in it. John, who the few rare people that can read in the village, recognise this character. That character was the one that makes him named this baby boy Mikhail. 

As his body began to dry, the cold start bothering Mikhail. He put on his clothes, pick up the basket and walk back to his home. The thought of eating intensifies his hunger after that workout. He arrived at home, the heat in the kitchen felt from the entrance. In the kitchen, the pot is already on top of the fire, the water was almost boiling, bread already placed in table, it's only waiting for the ingredient to be cooked inside the pot. 

"Cut the vegetables, i'll prepare the bowl"

"Okay John... "

They began to cook, boiling down the vegetable and jerky into stew. John preparing the table and Mikhail tending the stew so it would cooked properly. As the stew ready, John pouring it into both of their bowl. Mikhail start to rip the bread and dip it into the stew. He thinks it need some salt, and some spices. While it's not as flavorful as the ramen he had, at least it is edible and more nutritious. 

"Oh yeah, when is your job starting again?" Mikhail asked as he pointing the piece of bread to John.

"Well, the spring just started so... "

"Probably around three to five days later when the caravan came, i'll follow along them after everyone in the village finished selling their winter product"

Mikhail nodded, as he expected the answer. Usually, around two to ten days after the spring started, merchant caravan came to the village and trade with the people here. John, who was the head guards of the merchant troupe would depart with the caravan from the start of the spring until the end of the summer while going back home every two weeks and . At the beginning of the fall, he would go back to village spending time in home or patrolling the village until the caravan took him again in the spring. 

"Yep, finished. I'd go to Thomas after this" Mikhail stood up, picking up his bowl and washing it in the bucket of water near the kitchen. 

5