Journey to Hogwarts
53 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It's nice to meet you, Hermoine Granger," Harry said as he shook her hand, he let go and took a seat opposite her before opening his new owls cage and stroking her beak. 

"She's a very beautiful owl," Hermione said from over her book. 

Harry nodded gently as he smiled at his new companion "She certainly is." He then looked over to Hermione and searched for a cage of any kind but didn't see any. 

"Don't all first-years have pets? Where is yours?" Harry asked. 

"I believe the proper term for it would be a familiar, but no... I don't have one." She said quite morosely. 

"I was told that there is only so much gold that can be given for muggle-born students to get their equipment that familiars are not a priority," Hermione explained. 

Harry nodded his head in understanding "So you're a muggleborn..." he said delicately. 

Hermione slammed her book shut and gave him a vicious look "Is there a problem with that!" She practically shouted while she didn't mean to be so short-tempered with the boy she'd just met, on a number of different occasions she'd been made fun of and dismissed because she was a muggle-born, a term she didn't even know existed a few months ago. Some had even called her worse things 'Mudblood'. 

Harry held his hands up in surrender "Not at all I'm practically a Muggleborn myself, I never knew anything about magic until a few months back." And while this wasn't a lie it wasn't exactly true either as he had been using his magic to exorcise curses for years before he even met another wizard. 

"I see... well I apologise for losing my temper a little bit, but it seems that purebloods don't particularly like us very much and I thought you'd be very much the same." She said regrettably.

"I'm guessing a pureblood is someone from a wizarding family." Harry guessed. 

Hermione nodded "Muggleborn, Halfblood and Pureblood, those are the different classifications that I've managed to learn about so far," she educated. 

"So I guess that would make me a Half-Blood since I have muggle family on my mother's side." He said mostly to himself, though when he caught the pained expression on Hermoine's face he knew he had made a mistake as he remembered what Dumbledore had told him when he was in Diagon Alley. 

*Most Muggleborns have no family as the act of awakening their magic attracts curses that more often than not slaughter their entire family*

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to..." 

"It's okay..." Hermione said as she wiped her eyes, though she didn't say anything else as she looked back at her book and started reading again. Harry cursed at himself for being so insensitive, if he was right then she might've only lost her family a few months ago and was now in an entirely unfamiliar world all alone. 

'You're such a tosser Potter,' he thought to himself with a sigh as he pulled his book out of his bag, though unlike Hermiones this one was a lot bigger, red with golden inlay, it was the Potter family grimoire, something he hadn't had much chance to read through, though with the long trip he could afford to make some time got it now. 

Harry opened the book to the index where he read the different sections, the book seemed to be a lot bigger than was shown. If what he was reading was correct there was a whole section dedicated to the diary entries and personal notes of all previous Potter Lords. But what he was most interested in was one particular section. 

*Six Eyes*

It seemed that Harry was born with an extremely rare trait that only presents itself in the Potter family every couple hundred years or so, but when it does present itself the wizard will surely go on to do great things though whether such things are good or evil is up to them. It explained pretty much what Harry had been able to figure out on his own such as the ability to see magic though it seemed he hadn't been using his own eyes properly as the book stated he should be able to see magic on a much smaller scale than he was. 

It seemed the Six Eyes was also needed to master the innate magical technique of the Potter family 'Limitless'. It was written that if a person tried to use the technique without the assistance of the Six Eyes their mind would burn and they would die. Though it seemed he wouldn't have to worry about that as from the description of limitless he didn't have it, unless there was a hidden part about limitless that involved summoning rams. 

"What book is that?" 

He looked up and saw Hermione looking at him with interest, though it was mostly the book and less him "This is the Potter family grimoire." He replied which managed to spark her interest even more. 

However, it wasn't the grimoire that sparked her interest but the words before that "Did you say Potter? As in Harry Potter?" She asked with a mixture of curiosity and awe. 

"Yep, that is me," Harry said with a nod. 

Hermione let her feet hit the floor of the carriage her eyes widening. 

"Are you really!" 

"I've read all about you of course, before... it happened... I had been saving my birthday money so I was able to buy a few extra books." 

"You're in modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century, it was quite an exciting read." She explained.

Harry made the 'O' shape with his mouth "I haven't had the chance to read that book yet, though I can't imagine it would prove to be accurate." He said. 

"Why do you say that? Everyone has read it and they all agree on it." Hermione said a little offended at Harry's accusation. 

Harry raised an eyebrow at her "And how many were actually there?" He asked her. 

This managed to stump Hermione a little bit as she didn't have an actual answer "I suppose that you're right, only the people who were present would know what truly happened." She conceded. 

However, before they could speak more on it there was a knock on the door. The door then opened and a lanky red-headed boy dressed in what looked like a homemade jumper and a tattered bag "Anyone sitting here?" He said in a voice that seemed to be on the verge of cracking. 

"Everywhere else is full." He continued. 

Harry looked at the tall red-headed boy a bit strangely 'Wasn't there loads of free carriages,' he thought to himself. 

"That's fine," Hermione said before putting her legs back on her seat and reading her book. The kid then looked to Harry who shook his head, and so he came in and sat down by the window opposite Harry "I'm Ron Weasley." He said as he reached over to shake Harry's hand. 

"Harry Potter." He said as he took the boy's hand in his own, he cringed a little as he felt the boy's sweaty hand grip him though he managed to keep it off his face. 

"Blimey! You're Harry Potter!" He said a bit too loudly. 

"Do you have the... you know?" He asked. 

However, Harry just looked at him with confusion "He means the scar." Hermione chimed in as she looked over the top of her book. 

"Oh..." he said before moving the top of his hair with his hand showing off the lightning bolt that scarred his head. "Wow... so that's where You-Know-Who-" 

Harry shrugged "I suppose so but I don't remember it happening." He replied. 

Ron seemed to deflate at that remark "Oh... you don't remember anything?" He asked with apparent disappointment on his face. 

"Of course he wouldn't, he was just a baby at the time!" Hermione snapped a little annoyed at the stupid questions Ron was asking. 

Ron gave her a sour look "I suppose, who're you then?" He asked. 

"I'm Hermione Granger." She said a little shortly as she put her book down. 

Ron scrunched up his face as he tried to think of a pureblood family called 'Grangers' but he couldn't so he guessed that she was a muggleborn "Maybe we should go to another cart, Harry." He said and the implication of what he said wasn't lost on either Harry or Hermione. While Hermione was lost for words Harry wasn't and he quickly spoke. 

"Didn't you say everywhere else was full?" Harry asked trying to suppress the smile he had. 

Ron waved him off "I'm sure we can find somethin'," he said as he stood up. Harry stood up and gestured for Ron to go first which he did, A passing glance at Hermione showed him the hurt look on her face though it was quickly covered by her picking her book back up. 

'Everyone's the same,' Hermione thought to herself as Rob stepped out of the carriage. Though to her surprise  instead of following him out Harry took his wand out and pointed it at the door that he quickly closed "Colloportus," 

*Click*

The door locked and Ron found himself standing outside, an angry expression formed on his face as he tried opening the door again and when this didn't work he resorted to shouting. But Harry just sat down back in his seat and picked his book back up, he smirked at the look of shock that Hermione was giving him "What? If I'd gone with him I doubt I'd be able to read a word of my book." He said with a smile.

Hermione's look of shock changed into amusement as she started to laugh "No I suppose not." She said as she tried to maintain her outward composure. But inside she felt the first positive feelings she'd had since she discovered this magical world and it made her stomach tighten into a knot.

"So... read anything interesting lately," Harry said to spark conversation while Ron was battering on the door.

———————————————————-

Harry and Hermione found that they had quite a lot in common though for different reasons, while Hermione had a love of books because she had the desire to learn, Harry loved them because they often provided an escape from reality, his life was boring and so books often provided the chance to be someone other than himself. 

Ron eventually stopped trying to get in and found himself another carriage to spend the rest of his journey in. Harry wondered if he was a pureblood and if he was why didn't he didn't use the countercharm for Colloportus. 

As Harry and Hermione talked they heard the door knock again, using the unlocking charm to open the door a group of three people came in. One was a pale blonde-haired boy with his hair slicked back and a rather gaunt face while the others were rather big gorilla-looking boys, it was easy to tell that they were clearly bodyguards do some kind. 

"Can we help you?" Harry asked as he put his book down on his seat, something that the leading boy noticed. Harry saw the blonde-haired boy eye the book with something akin to greed or envy "Hello?" He asked once again. 

"Is it true?" he said. "They're saying all down the train that Harry Potter's in this compartment. So it's you, is it?"

Harry sighed "Yep that's me." He said a little tiredly, he looked at the expressions on both the pale boy bodyguard's face 

"This is Crabbe and this is Goyle," said the pale boy, noticing where Harry was looking. "And my name's Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." He said proudly. 

Harry looked towards Hermione and saw how she was curled up trying to make herself unnoticeable, however, Draco followed Harry's gaze and saw Hermione and smirked "It seems we meet again Mudblood, you didn't take my suggestion then." He said with a malicious smile. 

Draco then turned back to Harry "You'll soon find out some wizards are much purer than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He said as he held out his hand for Harry to take. 

However before Harry could take it another boy came to their compartment, at first Harry thought he might be an older student but he still had quite a babyish face, though his body was another story. He was thickly muscled more so than any 13-year-old had the right to be. 

"Have you seen a toad?" He asked bluntly as he stood half a head taller than even Crabbe and Goyle. 

Draco turned to the newcomer and scowled "What're you doing here Longbottom, you should know a squib like yourself isn't worthy of being in my present." He said with a disgusted look on his face. 

Neville looked at Draco with a bored expression "You talk too much..." he said before reaching through Crabbe and Goyle and picking Draco up by his shirt.

"Get your hands off me you filthy beast!!! Crabbe, Goyle." He shouted, and his bodyguards burst into action attempting to pull Draco down while attacking Neville. However, no matter how much they punched him or pulled it didn't make a difference, after a while Neville just chuckled and threw Draco down on the floor before looking at Harry and Hermione in the carriage "Toad?" He asked. 

Harry and Hermione shook their heads "Sorry mate haven't seen one." Harry said. Neville nodded "Alright, sorry for disturbing you." He said politely before turning on his heels and leaving. 

Draco was helped up by Crabbe and Goyle though he quickly pushed them away and then looked at Harry who was trying hard not to laugh "You think it's funny!" He shrieked.  

"I'd be careful if I were you, Potter," he said slowly. "Unless you're a bit politer you'll go the same way as your parents. They didn't know what was good for them, either. You hang around with Squibs and Mudbloods it'll rub off on you." He said before leaving just after. 

Harry just watched him leave with an amused expression "He's a bit dramatic isn't he?" He said to Hermione but as he looked over to her he saw how pale she looked. 

"Is everything okay Hermione?" He asked though it seemed she still hadn't heard him. 

"Hermione!" He said a bit louder and this time she snapped out of whatever thoughts she was having and looked over to him with a meek smile. 

"Yes he is..." she said in a quiet voice. 

"Hermione is everything okay? It seems like you knew him." Harry asked. 

"No, I don't." She said quickly and rather unconvincingly, but they'd only known each other for a few hours so he wouldn't push her. 

———————————————————-

The rest of the train ride went without further incident and Harry managed to read through a good portion of his Grandfathers Diary. He was one of the wizards that fought in the war against Grindelwald and had even fought against him personally, though he'd written how overwhelmingly strong the man was and that he was also on the losing side of their fights. 

He'd also taken a glance at the spell section of the book though obviously he couldn't practise in the carriage, especially the spell he was looking at. 

*Fulminos Mortis*

A spell that shoots lightning from the tip of a person's wand and is capable of temporarily paralysing someone. Harry thought this spell would've been useful against Draco and his gorillas earlier in the day. 

Harry put the book away as the train started to slow down, he and Hermione joined the crowded corridors of the train as everyone was out trying to get to the door. The train slowed right down and finally stopped. People pushed their way towards the door and out onto a tiny, dark platform. Harry and Hermione shivered in the cold night air. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students and Harry heard a booming voice as a man over twice as tall as he was and quite wide 'Is that a giant?' He thought to himself as he saw him. 

"'Firs'-years! Firs'-years over here!" The hairy giant boomed. 

"C'mon, follow me – any more firs'-years? Mind yer step, now! Firs'-years follow me!" Slipping and stumbling, they followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

"What do you think he means," Hermione said as she rubbed her arms that shivered from the cold. Harry shrugged as they kept following the path, the narrow path then opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers. "No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore.

Harry and Hermione climbed down into the boat with Neville climbing down behind them. Someone else was about to join them but was pushed out of the way by Ron and he quickly took their seat. "Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself, "Right then... FORWARD!" And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff, they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle until they reached a kind of underground harbour, where they clambered out onto rocks and pebbles.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid, who was checking the boats as people climbed out of them. He had a small green toad in his large palm, as Neville climbed out of the boat he took the toad from Hagrid's hand "Thanks." He simply said before walking away from the giant. "Good to see you, Trevor." He said with a small smile as he stroked the top of the toad's head, he then put the toad on his shoulder. 

Hagrid then led them up a stairwell with his large lamp in hand with the students all clamouring behind him. Harry looked over the edge and saw a small pebble fall hundreds of feet before hitting the rocks below. They then came into a castle courtyard where Hagrid lumbered over to a large oak door and bashed his hand against the door. 

Harry looked up and smiled in excitement as he was finally starting his new life. 

(AN: Another boring chapter but it needs to be done, tbh I was thinking of changing it a lot more than I already did by having the Hallows attack the train, but it felt like it would be pointless action. But yeah don't worry guys HARRY DOES HAVE LIMITLESS. I put that in caps so you guys actually read it, there is a reason limitless isn't present at the moment which will become apparent in his second year. Hope you enjoyed the chapter.)

3