Chapter 11 – Active Precognition
68 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Someone tried to kill me. I need you to find them.”

My words were followed by a long silence.

[What happened?]

“Young master, what happened!?”

“Don’t worry, I’m alright,” I explained and told them about what happened.

“To think that the dog was poisoned.” Vanessa’s expression was complicated. “I apologize, young master. I should have noticed. I’m ready to face any punishment.”

“Stop it, Vanessa. It was not your fault. Anyone else would have failed to notice it too.”

Vanessa bit her lips and gripped the hem of her dress.

Despite my words, she was still blaming herself for failing to discover the assassination.

I wanted to reassure her, but anything I said now would have the opposite effect, so I decided to feign I did not notice it.

“What do you think, Erika? Do you think you can find the people behind this?” I asked.

[… I need something else. Is this everything you have?]

“There is still another clue.”

I took out the strands of hair I kept in my pocket and looked at them.

Taking a deep breath, I activated my abilities. 

Using the hair as a medium, I asked a question.

A name.

In the next instant, dozens of images flashed through my mind.

Every image only appeared for an instant before being replaced by the following. They appeared and disappeared so quickly that I was unable to process them.

People, faces, places, plants, animals, and things I could not recognize appeared one after another.

Eventually, after an unknown number of images, a name appeared.

[Paradise.]

Immediately, the images disappeared.

I tried my best to suppress the nausea I was feeling.

“Paradise. It should be related to them. Is that enough?” 

Erika fell silent for a couple of seconds before replying.

[Enough. I should have it ready for tonight.]

“Thank you. I leave it to you.”

[Mm.] Erika hummed and cut off the communication.

“Young master, are you planning to take care of it by yourself?” Vanessa asked hesitantly.

I nodded.

“As long as it’s in my capabilities. By the way, Vanessa, don’t tell my sisters about this, understood?”

Vanessa hesitated briefly before nodding.

I was relieved. Vanessa was trustworthy. If she promised not to reveal anything, she won’t.

I did not want to worry my sisters about this. In the worst-case scenario, I’ll call our father and tell him about the situation.

“Let’s go back.”

Vanessa nodded, but just then, she let out a startled cry.

“Young master! You are bleeding from the nose!”

Surprised, I put my finger on my nose and saw it turn red.

Vanessa’s expression became anxious. She hurriedly pulled out a handkerchief and used it to wipe off my blood.

“Young master, we should call a doctor!”

“No need. You know this is not the first time this has happened. It should not be a problem.”

“But you were feeling unwell earlier, and now you are bleeding! I’m sorry, but we must call a doctor.”

“Okay, okay. Tell him to come after lunch.” I finally nodded reluctantly, even though I knew it was unnecessary.

I was clear about the reason why I was bleeding.

It was the prince I paid for using my ability just now.

Of the three ways my ability manifests, the third is the one with the greatest price.

Active precognition.

Unlike passive precognition or death precognition, active precognition shows me the most likely future I ask for. It can be anything, from what I’m going to have for breakfast tomorrow, to the answers to a test.

I can also use it to ask for information about something, just like now, when I asked for a clue related to my poisoning.

This method of precognition is very powerful and convenient, but in exchange, the cost of using it is great.

It puts a heavy burden on my body.

Just now, I only asked for a clue, but that was enough to make me bleed.

And that is nothing compared to the price I must pay to predict some things.

The further the future, and the more complete the prediction, the greater the price I must pay.

I could even die.

“Is it done?” I asked Vanessa.

She nodded and put the handkerchief away. 

“Are you sure you are alright, young master?”

“Don’t worry. You’ll see when the doctor comes.”

“I hope so,” Vanessa said with a worried look.

We left the bathroom and went back to the hall.

But before we could go back to where Lina and Seela were, we crossed paths with someone else.

A beautiful girl with gray hair and silver eyes.

The top student, Sila Dune.

She and I met gazes.

Immediately, Sila’s eyes widened.

But then, she put on a confused expression.

“You… Do I know you?”

“Huh? I don’t think so. My name is Linsley Steerl, second child of Earl Linsley. Nice to meet you, Miss Sila.”

Sila looked at me deeply, as though trying to search for something, but she only became more confused.

“Strange… Somehow, it feels familiar...”

“Miss Sila?”

“Huh? Oh, sorry. Mm, nice to meet you.”

She then walked away with a confused expression while occasionally glancing my way.

“Young master, do you know her?” Vanessa asked curious.

“I don’t. Perhaps she mistook me for someone else.”

I replied nonchalantly.

Inwardly, though, I was sweating coldly.

What a sharp girl.

It’s absurd. There should be nothing giving me away.

Even my aura is completely different now.

Could it be her intuition?

I thought for a moment and sighed softly.

It looks like I should be very careful around her.

It won’t be good if she realizes my other identity. 

3