Chapter 11: Dinner with the Lanz.
150 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arriving at the door we are greeted with loud conversation and access directly to the apartment from our home ID's, Zel hasn't really let go of me except to let me shower and get ready for getting out here, I don't blame her, after nearly falling over a few times I wouldn't either.

The conversation gets louder "It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a conspiracy fact! There's evidence, well not a lot but it's interesting isn't it?!" Peter is at it again, not that it turned out all of them were wrong, usually they find interest in the minds of people that get obsessed with such things and enjoy tagging along. They were a psychologist by day, Conspiracy therapist by night, as they liked to say.

"Just because you were right once!"

"Twice!"

"One and a half, the whole 'birds are all robots' thing was nonsense, and it was only after it had spread for years that it was used against the Alliance, multiple countries made realistic robot birds for spying, so no, half." Amelia, Amy or Mom as she preferred, being a scientist herself, took everything she could subjectively, her husband included, which made for the best listening material.

Peter or dad.. Which.. I'm still getting used to, even years after they brought me into their home. I know they both thought of me as such although they always hesitated to make it formal, which I understand, I also hesitate on the fact.. I know my own are gone but no one could take their place, not that they ever tried to. They always let me be my own person, even under their own house, yes there were fights but it was for the better to grow.

"And what was number one? That's right it made us safe, we couldn't trust our government regardless of the good it's done, especially with the bad it was doing, it's all about control and we got out of that control and into a better kind of control!"

"Yes, by lying to your wife that you were offered an amazing job opportunity in Australia!"

"It wasn't a lie! I found an open position and applied.. And they offered it to me.. Same thing really"

Amelia throws up her hands and pushes her husband out into the living room. He has a big grin on his face, knowing he can't beat his wife in a conversation involving science but he can frustrate her enough for her to end the conversation, making it his victory.

"Here's our kids! Forgetting your old man, it's been weeks since I've seen your lovely faces, getting more 'Aesthetically pleasing' by the minute.. That's the world isn't it, it's all about aesthetics nowadays.." His grin has turned into a loving smile, seeing that we are growing up wonderfully.

"Hey dad" We both embrace him, he's a bit shorter than us both but built like a footballer, well without the muscles. The only exercise they seem to do nowadays is in their weekly LAVRP.

"Now which of you wants to know about the latest in conspiracies?!" The excitement in his eyes is reminiscent of Zelia's, it's easy to see who she takes after.

"I've got to talk to mum some but you two enjoy" Zelia winks at me and lets go of my hand, whispering something to her dad on the way through, he nods sadly and turns to me to offer me a seat on the couch.

I sink into the couch and hold on, without my support Zel I've got to hold on to what I can.

Peter pulls out a data pad and shows me one of the most famous videos in the world, the announcement for Oscium with Dr. Dorothy Caster. A name that's not only known because of this but because of her statue being at the center of every Sci-Axium habitat region, as a reminder that science is for all. She had become the scientific community's patron saint.

It's.. different from what I remember, the quality is worse in some places.. "What's with the quality?" they click their fingers.

"See, I knew you would get it! All the copies of the speech on every device that have been connected to the Axium-Net have been 'corrupted', which is basically everything right?? Even older devices that connect up to the network have certain parts of its data tampered with, it's all about control! But why this video in particular! It could be because it's important historical information so they can't just remove it, too many people would notice!" They look like an excited great dane, the whole family seems like it has dogs in their genes.

"Okay so.. Why? What is so important to cover up, it's like the most famous video in existence, surely someone would have noticed by now how different it is?" I lean back into my chair puzzled at such a weird thing, it could be that the AI systems accidentally corrupted the video and it just happened to a bunch but this is the only important one?..

"Well when you own the internet and have the resources to control it the only real way of that data being tampered with or removed is word of mouth. So.. I've been talking to some people off the net, the main theory is because of the people in the back of the scene!"

"I can't even recall there being people in the back of the scene honestly", Caster was a very emphatic speaker and able to hold attention, especially with the damning words she said that day.

Peter grins again "There were a few people in soldier's clothes in the background that had Sci-Axium on their uniforms, people remember a different symbol on it though. Instead of the normal symbols that each different division has, this was a new one that wasn't seen before or again, some kind of lines around a center orb or something.."

Peter stares pondering for a bit, staring at the screen. "I do happen to have some older machines that haven't been connected to the network, but whether I saved it or not, it's been too many years.. And they aren't fully functioning, I like to toy with them every so often, something that needs a human touch! So at least I have some fun projects on my hands, even if it turns into pure hogwash hah" They smack their knees and offer to get me a drink, passing me the data pad, I accept and they move into the kitchen leaving me alone with my thoughts.

"A secret division of Sci-Axium.. It wouldn't be surprising.." I feel a little bit of nausea wash over me and put down the data pad, something familiar in how the symbol was described, the less I think on it the more I feel better.

A hand grasps my shoulder, "Lil you okay?.." Looking up I see Zelia worriedly looking over me with concern, "Yeah yeah sorry, just zoned out a bit", What was that.. I take the drink in her hand and she sits next to me leaning against me slightly which helps clear my head.

"And there's my other daughter! As bad as each other for not letting me know you're doing okay! I know Zel's got you sorted but I still worry.." A voice comes from behind the lounge and reaches over pulling me into a hug from behind, I gratefully accept the motherly touch.

"Hey mom, I'm sorry, you know how I get wrapped up in my own head, we could always try joining you and dad for a LAVRP one time? Something to get us out of the house.. Technically."

It always feels weird to say 'L-aa-v-erp', Live Action Virtual Role Play, it's all the new rage, at least for their generation, adults who grew up in the boom of traditional tabletop role playing games. 

I've heard of some groups that proudly only LARP in person, the streets aren't used as often as before so I've seen a few groups of mixed older and younger people throwing large foam dice in the parks and streets, acting their part in the game. When I was younger I wanted to get involved and the community center sometimes put them on, but who would want to play with a scruffy teenager in rags.

You can feel the excitement from dad as mom sits down on the other couch with dad, "Oh ohh I'm sure Anna would love to play with you both, it's been years since you all have seen each other but her and Diane would love to spend time with you both!"

Anne is Peter's sister, he pulled both their families out of America when they left, she was always sharp and probably had a hand in pushing him in this direction. It's a good thing too because Anne met Diane here. 

They have both been keeping up the efforts at the homeless kitchens and I'm sure by now they are up to at least 4 cats, everytime Diane comes back with another stray Anna can never say no to her partner's sappy eyes. Although Zelia has the same effect so it's no surprise..

Buta was a stray kitten that Diane brought home but they weren't able to keep and so became mine after they attached themselves to me, like I was attached to Zelia. A match made in heaven.

"We always need new blood! That and we could always use new players for our Pathfinder 4th edition group, but you both have that new game now. I don't think we will get our capsules for about.. 7 weeks. But when we do, you've got to show us the ropes! It will be even more real than our LAVRP's and that's saying something, we put work into our campaigns!" She's very proud of her campaigns, she's done some programming work to enhance their headset VR systems as far as it can go, she's the pride of the LAVRP community.

*Ding* The oven goes off. It's been a good 10 minutes of catching up, letting them know how the games are going, how awesome the Fia's are, all while avoiding the fact that I nearly had myself ejected from my capsule.

"Get yourself ready for mama's best pasta bake! Lots of cheese just like you like it Lilia dear" She smiles at me while she gets into homemaker mode. We get up to the dinner table and devour the best chick'n pasta bake this side of the globe!

While we are getting through the mass of carbs, mum clicks her fingers and gets up, grabbing a bottle of red wine off the shelf. Expertly, she pops the cork and gets out 4 glasses for us, "It's always a celebration when I get to see our family together! Cheers!" We clink our glasses together making sure to look each other in the eyes when we connect them, family tradition.

The bottle is left at the table and downed along with a large amount of pasta. 2 glasses and nearly 2 bowls later, I'm about to fall into a buzzed coma, glorious state of full happiness.

"Gods I needed that.. Thank you mum, dad, Zel you might have to carry me home.." I smile at them all, happy to be here, happy to be alive…

"Me! carry you? Not right now I can't, we matched drink and bowl Lil, I was expecting you to take me home in those big strong arms, I've done enough carrying this week *Hick*" She covers her mouth embarrassed, but at least It's not a Wan, more surprised that she hasn't gotten too used to it by now.

"Okay! I'll bring it back with me, I'm going to need a bag though or it's more likely to drop on the way home", Amy hands me a plastic bag, always one step ahead.

"Travel safe! Message me when you get home or I'll spam you both with embarrassing home videos!!" We leave, waving our goodbyes, the cold night air feeling really cool against my skin, still burning a little from the red wine.

Bumping against each other we make our way through the well lit, mostly empty streets. "I'm glad we came out tonight, thank you Zel.. for everything, as usual it's always you saving me, I hope one day I have my chance.." Zel bumps me a bit harder making me nearly walk into a pole, though it wouldn't be the first or last time.

"What, like save me from some monsters? Hah, I never wanted that, you being by my side has always been enough, being my friend and more, no matter what happened you were always there when I needed you. That's what saved me, pushing me to be the best me, to be the real me."

After walking in silence for a while we finally get to my apartment at the end of the row, 7th floor, leaning on each other the whole elevator ride up, acting a little more drunk than we were, touching just enough to share our heat.

"Soo.." we pause and both look at my door.. The wine makes me a little braver, but gods I'm scared, scared of what it would mean, of what she would find out about me, being so close.

I exhale and shiver, "I'll give Fia permission to connect up our systems.. Maybe we can spend some time making a perfect little cottage just for us?.." I can see the sweetness in her smile and the want in her eyes, the blush on her cheeks.

"I can't wait Lilia.. You know I'm going to be spending hours on it though right?!" She pouts a little bit at the thought of all the time lost in game.

"Yeah but that means I can catch up! I'm still like level 3, even with extra time it's going to be a struggle!" I move close to Zelia and pull her into a gentle hug, we clutch each other tightly for a moment and I pull away reluctantly, bending down, she kisses me on the forehead.

"Goodnight Zelawoo" 

"Goodnight LilMoo"

We depart to our doors and with one last look, walk through it.

"Welcome home Lilia, I hope your night was good!" Fia greets me warmly.

"Hey Fia it was.. Good.. I'm going to crash pretty quickly but yes it was.. Really good.. Oh please connect mine and Zelia's systems together" I tiredly slog my way to the bedroom slipping off my clothes.

"Mmnn just a good night?.. Hehe I'll believe that when cows fly, have sweet lupine dreams Lilia."

If you like what your reading there are usualy 5+ chapters over on patreon if you want to support me <3
patreon.com/NerdyafCreations
And a patreon if you wanna join in talks about the books and other gay things!
https://discord.gg/uYzrb2uDFb

10