Ch. 58 Vengeance
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ch. 58

“Vengeance”

“You cut his hair?” I say as we move to a clearing and a free spot within the training area.

“He has plenty extras. I made sure it was from the back, so he won’t notice.” Devlyn says as she motions toward some dwarves who may have drunk a little too much autumn’s ale. They scurry away, and I must hold down a laugh that is threatening to escape from my lips. I know I am not much taller than they are but seeing them run while obviously drunk is nasal snorting laugh worth.

“Poor Sadar.” I say stretching my arms out. I can only imagine what tortures Devlyn has thought of as my first morning back.

“Says the woman he convinced Iamys to water board yesterday.” Devlyn throws her dagger straight into the ground and wipes her forehead. Sweat and a drop of blood moves across her hand.

No weapons it would seem. I walk over to a nearby bench and unstrap my opal dagger, resting in on a wooden slab.

The sound of the training area echoing off each other. Laughter, grunting, metal clashing, and then something shifts…the world becomes slow. I feel the autumn breeze change around me. I meet Devlyn’s strike with a swift turn and watch as she steps past me.

“I may have been out of training, but I was still using the skills I learned.”

Devlyn takes a step before spinning around on one her heels and it digs into the ground with force. She throws a black satin ribbon from her wrist. I watch as it flutters in the autumn breeze. I take a deep breath and use my wind and it flows into my outreached hand. She is moving quickly gaining speed, moving as if she is speed itself. I wrap the ribbon around my hair, and I lend left to miss her, but she catches my shoulder and sends me to the ground. I roll with it and can recover enough to block her arm coming down for me. Nyx, I miss the days we just ran. Devlyn is an amazing teacher, but as an opponent, I am always on the defensive. Devlyn strikes again and grabs my shoulder yanking me towards her. I use my size in my favor and wrap my leg around hers, and the momentum she created cause her to stumble. Enough for me to haul myself past her and she is on the ground by the time I jump back a few feet. Far enough away from her reaching grasp.  

“We are more evenly match than you think.” Devlyn throws a hand out and I step taking it helping her stand.

“Isn’t the student supposed to surpass the teacher?”

“Go fight that giant mysterious dark skinned high Varcolac guardian, and then come back here.” Devlyn says with a wicked grin and her gray eyes are raging with adrenaline.

“Captain.” A scout I haven’t seen before comes over to us, practically running. How many new recruits are there? How long did Mother tried to gather information about the fae lands and their war? Or about the missing people?

Devlyn attentions is snap to the scout and nods. She turns back to me. “As much as I would like to train today, someone was late.” She gives me an appointed typical stern Devlyn look before letting out a small smile. “Do some sparring. There are plenty of people who need a good ass kicking.” With that she is off to do the work of Mother’s second, whatever that means now a days.

I feel my nostrils twitch…that smell. A mixture of trees, or woods. The ones that make my nose itch and a sense of rage start to boil within me.

“Looks like the Princess decided to come back and bless us with her presence again.” His voice is like claws dragging down stone. Worse than the claws against my mental door. Worse than my own fingernails digging into the wooden of my warded wing’s door.

0