9. Sing for Me? I Kill You
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A massive army of white skeletons with glowing bodies came running towards them at full speed. Their eyes were glowing red, and black smoke seeped out from their bodies.

Karen ran towards them, and they reached and grabbed at her with their sharp skeleton fingers, but suddenly their black smoke flew into Karen, and the glowing tattoo on her neck disappeared. The skeletons fell apart and landed on the ground in a pile of bones.

"Absorption." Karen muttered, and another tattoo lit up under her right ear.

The women formed a tight circle and activated their tattoos in silence, using them to defend against the angry skeletons. The skeletons only tore angrily at them, trying to push them away as if they wanted to get to the center. They were solely focused on the men holding Holy Water, which they occasionally threw toward them.

Mai's heart was already in her throat, and her chest hurt violently. It rang and pounded loudly in her ears, and she gripped the Holy Water tightly, which suddenly broke apart. She felt something liquid dripping down her fingers and looked at it in alarm.

"Fuck!" she exclaimed softly, glancing over at Master Kjeld, who was busy managing the situation.

He guided the women on when to activate their tattoos, and their timing matched perfectly with each other. Every time one of them had used several tattoos, she sat down on a cart and took a short break before returning to her work without complaining. While Karen acted as a shield for them, they pushed forward and increased their speed. Countless skeletons kept arriving, and after an hour, Mai thought there was no end to them.

Suddenly, a bush lit up in a white color to their left, and it rumbled violently.

"Thomas, Solvej. Go!" commanded Master Kjeld.

Thomas and Solvej held hands and ran into the glowing hedge, and seconds later, there was a loud clicking sound, and the rumbling water stopped. Thomas and Solvej came running back, and they all continued onward.

Master Kjeld sent several pairs off alternately while the previous two took breaks, and they rotated for a long time. The rumbling sounds of water stopped each time a pair visited a glowing bush.

"We should be at the graveyard soon. Laila, get ready." suddenly said Master Kjeld, and a beautiful woman with long golden curls nodded.

Karen roared loudly and swung at the skeletons, absorbing their smoke, causing them to fall to the ground in a heap. She pushed them aside, clearing a path for the group, and suddenly a massive light green park appeared where there was a large flower bed with white glowing flowers. Small white naked figures with wings resembling dancers hovered around. They suddenly stopped and looked at the group. Their eyes were pitch black, and they suddenly opened their mouths, revealing sharp black teeth. They flew towards the group at full speed, but suddenly Laila stepped in front and took off her white cloak.

"Avari's Hymn." she said, and a white tattoo of a lily lit up on her left cheek.

She began to sing.

"It was a late summer day. You stood there in all your regalia. You looked like a hero, my hero. Why did you have to leave me? You were my star..."

Her voice was gentle, but the lyrics were melancholic, and Mai felt a knot in her heart, suddenly seeing Lind's face in front of her, furrowing her brows. 

The small white figures surrounding them suddenly stopped, and their black eyes turned white, and they smiled suddenly. They bowed to Laila, turned around, and flew away into the sky like a swarm of butterflies.

Mai was suddenly overwhelmed with emotions, shedding a tear, and sniffing softly.

Laila stopped singing, and Master Kjeld said in a low voice, "Let's hurry. We just need to get to the other side of the flower bed."

His voice was hoarse, and he bit his lip as he gripped his golden hammer in his right hand. He fumbled with it as they quickly approached the flower bed. Just as they were about to pass it, they suddenly heard a deep laughter echoing in the maze.

Master Kjeld held his hammer up in the air, and everyone stopped abruptly.

"Hilda!" he shouted, but before the woman, Hilda, could react, a black figure suddenly appeared floating in the sky above them. 

It had a skeletal body with red eyes and wore a golden crown on its skull. Its fingers were long with long black nails, and scraps of skin hung on the bones. In its chest, there was a dark red heart beating loudly, pulsing black smoke swirling around the skeleton's body.

The skeleton suddenly smiled and looked at Laila, tilting its head.

It pointed at her and said, "Why do you resemble her? You vile bitch!"

At those words, it darted towards Laila as she looked at Master Kjeld.

He smiled lightly at her and whispered, "Thank you, Laila."

Laila smiled and shed a tear, closing her eyes.

She spread her arms and murmured, "Come to me, beloved."

At those words, Master Kjeld signaled with a hand gesture, and everyone hurried to move past the flower bed while the skeleton attacked Laila. It bit her in the throat and consumed her like a wild animal, and Mai heard uncomfortable and disturbing sounds. She bit her lip and clenched her fists. They reached the other side unscathed, where two tall slender white cherry trees formed an exit, and there was light on the other side.

"Have I given you permission to leave my domain? I don't think so." said the skeleton suddenly in a booming voice.

They all stopped, and Master Kjeld turned around, making "eye contact" with the skeleton. He bowed deeply and hid his hammer behind his back.

"Apologies for my manners, King Christian. You have received your sacrifice, so according to the rules, you must let us pass." he said in a humble voice, glancing at the white flowers, now turned red.

King Christian licked his lips and suddenly pointed at Mai, saying, "Today, I demand two sacrifices. One of each color."

Mai furrowed her brows and muttered softly, "Racist."

King Christian "furrowed his brows" and shot her a sharp look, asking, "Wench! What did you just call me? Just because I lack a physical form, do you think I cannot see and hear what's going on around me?"

He flew high above them and roared loudly, "This is my domain and my rules!"

Master Kjeld looked at Mai and furrowed his brows. "I read the rules before we entered your domain, Your Highness. It stated one offering. If you don't keep your word, the fairy will judge you. Let me remind you of your curse."

King Christian roared loudly, and suddenly they heard countless heavy footsteps running towards them from all directions.

"Her or all of you!" he shouted in a trembling voice that echoed so much that the ground beneath them shook violently.

"Not over my dead body. You are bound by rules. The gods will punish you if you break them." commented Master Kjeld, furrowing his brows.

"Hilda! Go all out!" he shouted and quickly ran to a cart, finding a particular wooden box that he carried to the center of the group.

"Song of Justice." yelled Hilda, and a white tattoo glowed on her neck.

"A Song of Justice? Shall you sing again? Then you know your fate." commented King Christian, flying towards Hilda as he extended his crooked bone fingers.

Hilda smiled and activated another tattoo. "Valari's Cloak."

A large red area lit up on her back under her white cloak, which transformed into a red color. She ran towards King Christian and punched him hard. He flew back and made a U-turn, flying back towards her and suddenly pulling out a black scythe, swinging it towards Hilda, who smiled at it.

As the scythe was about to hit her, she shouted, "Hurry, Master."

The scythe struck Hilda, but a golden shield appeared, deflecting it.

King Christian kept swinging, getting rebounded every time, but he didn't give up. It clattered loudly as sparks flew, echoing loudly in the maze.

 

1