The fallen
48 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Alex was deeply engrossed in reviewing the questions she had missed on her test, her brows furrowed in concentration. As she scrutinized the questions, she ran her fingers through her medium brown hair, which fell over her shoulders in soft waves. Even though she had missed only three out of the twenty-five questions, she felt it was crucial to review them to understand where she could have done better.

Suddenly, Alex lost her footing, and her books flew in different directions as she tried to regain her balance. She stumbled backward, her arms flailing around, but her efforts were in vain. Just as she was about to take a nasty fall, she managed to grab onto a nearby wall for support.

As she stood up, she felt an all-too-familiar, dizzying sensation she had experienced before. It was similar to vertigo but much more intense. She wondered if she should see a doctor, but before she could act on her thought, the sensation intensified, forcing her to the ground with a whimper. She clutched her head in pain, and then it happened. As if somebody had lifted a veil on her normality, the walls of her reality began to twist and distort, and the colors melded together, creating a magnificent yet terrifying sight that the human mind would have difficulty comprehending. Alex was mesmerized by the hues of reality mirrored in her green eyes and had not noticed the sound of shattering glass.

With a loud pop, she found herself in a completely new and strange place. The suddenness of the event left her bewildered and disoriented. She looked around, and her eyes struggled to adjust to the dimly lit surroundings. Everything was different, and she couldn’t recognize anything that surrounded her. The place was unfamiliar, and she was utterly lost.

As she gazed into the darkness, she noticed a faint light emanating from what seemed to be thousands of tiny stars. The light was dim, but it was enough to give her a glimpse of the vastness of the void she was in. The emptiness around her was overwhelming, and she felt a deep sense of isolation and fear.

As she tried to make sense of the strange place, she noticed a young girl with butterfly wings. The wings, adorned with stars, galaxies, and nebulae, appeared to depict the cosmos. The girl was the only other in that vast void, and she looked at the newcomer kindly. Alex’s heart was pounding so hard in her chest that she could hear it in her ears. She was terrified, but the girl’s presence was calming, and Alex felt she could trust her.

“Please calm down,” the young girl said in a smooth, honey-like voice. Her words were like a balm to Alex’s troubled mind. Her tone was gentle and soothing, like a mother speaking to her crying child. As Alex looked at her, her racing heart slowed down momentarily. The girl’s eyes were kind and understanding, and Alex felt a sense of relief wash over her.

Alex parted her lips as if to speak, but she hesitated. Her mind was a jumble of questions, tumbling over each other desperately for attention. She tried to focus and form the words she wanted to say, but her tongue seemed tied in knots. Meanwhile, the young girl stood before her, watching with a gentle smile as Alex struggled. Despite her best efforts, Alex couldn’t break free from the sticky web of uncertainty that had entangled her thoughts.

Finally, after a moment, Alex took a deep breath and spoke, her voice trembling a little. “W-where A-am I?” Alex’s voice was barely above a whisper as she struggled to form the words. She was scared, confused, disoriented, and didn’t know what to do next. Taking another deep breath to calm herself. She spoke again, this time more confidently. “Who are you?” Alex looked around, this time more carefully, causing her to notice the girl’s wings. “No, the better question is, what are you?”

The young girl, Kuro, gracefully introduced herself with a deep bow, her long, flowing hair swaying gently in the breeze. “I am a celestial fairy,” she continued, her voice soft and melodic, “and I understand that you may have many questions, but first, let me speak.” Kuro motioned towards a small table adorned with a delicate tablecloth, where two chairs were set beside each other, creating a cozy atmosphere. Still in a state of panic, Alex hesitantly took a seat, feeling the weight of the situation slowly settling in. Despite their inner turmoil, Alex tried their best to maintain composure, putting up a brave front for Kuro.

 Kuro also sat before waving her hand and making two cups of tea materialize out of nowhere. “Thanks,” said Alex, her voice conveying shock at this action. “Alright, have you calmed down?” kuro asked with a teasing smile; Alex just nodded. “Then let’s get to business. So recently, people have been falling out of their respective universes and into another. At first, the 12 absolutes, the highest beings in our reality, didn’t—.” “12 absolutes what or who they are,” Alex rudely interrupted her with her curiosity. Kuro seemed irritated but answered, “They are beings who are above the gods themselves; they are the rightful rulers of reality.” Her voice was laced with reverence that was borderline fanatical. “Now, please don’t interrupt again, okay.” Alex nodded, a little freaked out.

“So as I was saying, at first, the 12 absolutes didn’t do anything about this new problem, which unfortunately meant that many of these wayward travelers did not survive; however, the 12th petitioned the others to give aid and, after a vote, in which the majority agreed that they should give aid each of the 12 began to create their way of helping.” She paused to take a slip of tea before beginning again. “This space that you find yourself in is the creation of the 11th, his way of providing aid; each one of those stars you see is a talent. Some of these talents are a simple increase in your intellect or some other increase in one of your other bodily functions. However, some rarer ones will grant powers allowing you to boil the seven seas and shatter the earth beneath your feet. You must follow some rules: 1. You can only take two talents, no more than that 2. You can only know the talent’s name, not what it does, and before you ask, these rules are in place because the 11th is a firm believer in luck. That’s pretty much it for me; you may now ask any questions.”

 Alex began to speak, her voice filled with curiosity and wonder with a hint of dread. “Can I go back home, please?” her face filled with sorrow. “Please, I’m the only one my little brother has. Without me, he will be all alone.” She began to weep, her crystal tears splattering against the table. Kuro stood up without a word, hugged Alex, and began to speak, “I’m sorry, but who or whatever is causing these people to fall prevents your return home. All we can do is help people like you with their new lives in their new universes.” Alex just wept, more vociferous at the thought of never seeing her brother again, and all that Kuro could do at that moment was comfort Alex for as long as needed. 

 Alex’s cries were deafening and heartbreaking, so filled with despair that you could almost feel her turmoil spreading through the air like a disease. 

‘Why me? ‘The question was a constant echo in Alex’s mind, a cruel mockery. ‘Why did it have to be me? ‘The thought of leaving her brother was unbearable. ‘He still needs me.’ Her thoughts were a whirlwind of confusion and despair. ‘This can’t be real. It must be a nightmare. If I close my eyes, I’ll wake up.’ With that thought, Alex closed her emerald green eyes, seeking solace in the darkness. Kuro, her eyes a deep maroon, watched the young girl who had lost everything in a heartbeat. 

After waiting and waiting for what seemed a millennium, Alex had to accept the cruel truth. 

Alex’s heart was heavy with sorrow as she spoke, her voice steady despite the tears that had dried on her cheeks. Realizing that her situation was not a dream struck her. She knew she had to face it head-on. Her tanned skin radiated a fierce determination, and her emerald eyes seemed to blaze with an intensity that dared anyone to stand in her way. “Kuro,” she said, her voice soft but urgent, “I need to see my little brother again. Is there any way you can help me?”

Kuro smiled, her pearly white teeth visible, her eyes carrying a hint of pride. Her voice, still as smooth as honey, said, “Although there is nothing that I or one of the 12 absolutes can do that doesn’t stop you from finding a way home, although rare there are, a few of the fallen have done just that.” These words fuelled the fire within Alex to burn hotter, brighter, and more all-consuming. 

Kuro’s body shook with fear as Alex’s piercing gaze bore into her. It made her feel like an insignificant speck of dust compared to the imposing figure before her. The sensation was all too familiar, having experienced it before when she was first brought to meet the strongest absolutes - despite only having been created an hour ago. The fear was so overwhelming that she had fainted on that occasion, forcing the 11th, her creator, to take her home. And yet, now, a mere mortal like Alex could evoke the same feeling within her. It was a humbling realization that left Kuro feeling vulnerable and apprehensive.

Alex took a deep breath and began to walk, her eyes fixed on the horizon. She was determined to find her talents, and the thought of discovering them filled her with excitement and anticipation. But just as she was about to disappear from view, she heard Kuro’s voice behind her.

“Wait,” she said urgently. “Before you go, there’s something you need to know. Some talents are more compatible with your soul than others. This means they will come more naturally to you and be easier to use.”

Alex turned to face Kuro, her eyes widening with curiosity. “How can I find the talents compatible with my soul?” she asked.

Kuro hesitated for a beat, looking scared and unsure. “It’s different for everyone,” she replied at last. “Some might feel a tug, while others might see a flash of light.”

Alex nodded thoughtfully and took a moment to absorb Kuro’s words. She knew that finding the right talents would be crucial to her success, and she was determined to do whatever it took to discover them. “Thank you for the advice, Kuro,” she said warmly. “I’ll keep it in mind as I explore my talents.” With that, she turned and strode into the unknown, her heart beating with excitement and possibility.

[alex pov]

“I have no idea where I am. How is anyone supposed to find their way in a Drak void? I can barely see in front of me. The only thing I can see are those stars, or, I guess, they’re talents.” she thought that the creator of this place made it like this so people wouldn’t wander. She began to walk up to one of the talents carefully, almost like it was a bomb, and observed that its golden color was sphered perfectly round and had a sword imprinted on it. This sword seemed to follow her as she sauntered around the sphere. Finally, she reached out toward the talent with her hand and lightly put a finger on it. [swordsmanship] She jumped back in shock as the word appeared in her mind. 

“That’s freaky stuff right there, but based on its name, it probably deals with swinging a sword. It might be helpful, so I’ll keep it in mind.” Alex moved on to the next glowing sphere, this one purple with a flame imprint. She again reached out and touched it [tunderflame]; its name appeared in her mind. This continued as she went from sphere to sphere [heavenly demonic body], [demonic arsenal], [bowmanship], 

Alex sifted through the various talent spheres before her, hoping to find the perfect one to enhance her abilities. After carefully examining each one, she concluded that the ones she had discovered initially were the best options. The others she encountered while wandering were simple stat increases that would make little impact. ‘I must have been lucky at the start.”

As she pondered which two spheres to choose, she felt a sudden gust of wind rush past her, even though she had never felt any wind in this place ‘strange.’ Intrigued, Alex decided to follow the direction from where the wind was blowing. As she moved closer, the wind grew more potent, but she didn’t feel any resistance from it. Instead, it seemed to propel her forward faster and faster.

Alex had been running for a minute when she spotted a talent sphere that immediately caught her attention. It looked distinct from the other spheres she had seen, with its rusty iron color and a striking hammer imprint on its surface. Without any hesitation, she reached out her hand and touched the sphere. As soon as her finger made contact with the sphere’s surface, a powerful explosion of wind erupted, and a word suddenly appeared in her mind, [factory]

 

So this is my first time writing. I hope you enjoyed this. I'm actually dyslexic so this was really hard for me and it took a while to make.

0