Blankets
233 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They started to distribute the food. The guards also had their own pot that they brought somewhere else. Which means we have no one guarding again. So, all of us take turns on eating from the bowls. They chose to not provide any utensils, a surprising smart decision. Of course, being the leader of the current group, I was the first one to grab a bowl. That is why I initiated conversation with Lyn.

“Did they have a lot of these bowls?”

“Not a lot. They just took a few and handed them to us.”

“Did they count how many?”

“No. They just grabbed from a stack and gave it to me.”

“I see. Good to know.”

I finish the soup and proceed to drop it on the ground. It startled everyone else.

“Oi, why the hell are you dropping that? That’s dangerous.”

“Do you have any injuries?”

“I broke it on purpose. Give me a moment.”

I made sure to be careful in breaking it. I had 5 big pieces and multiple shards.

“Good. These will do. Nobody will say a word about this.”

I look around the room as I hide the big pieces and shards within my dress. I would need to be a little careful in my movement for now. I return to my previous position on Blanche’s lap. I whisper to Lyn who was near us.

“You, massage me.”

“Hell no.”

I smirk as I close my eyes. I feel someone touching my arms but with the size of the hands, it could only be the child. I let them continue. Now, there is a limit to what I could demand from them. A person’s basic needs are important and would ensure health. Food and water are taken care of. Shelter is already where we are, although not that great. I am making sure to maintain their sanity by letting them talk. Conversation keeps someone grounded. Especially in a situation like this. Ah, I have one more thing that I can demand from them.

“Is anyone feeling cold?”

I ask around and some answers yes and some say no.

“Wrong. You are all now cold. Do you understand?”

Some of them looked confused but there was a lot of nods so it is fine. It was a while before the guard returned. It was still the same guy. He slumps by the wall.

“Argh. I wanted to sleep but they told me to finish my shift.”

He speaks to himself like all of us are not here.

“You, get up. Come over here.”

“Huh”

He lazily looks up at me. He seems very relaxed.

“Hurry up.”

I glare at him from above. He shakes his head and comes near.

“It is cold.”

“Huh?”

“I said, it is cold.”

“Huh? It’s not that cold, though.”

He looks at himself and tries to feel the air. I look behind me and say in silence to look cold. The smarter ones react immediately and act like it is cold.

“Look. Do you know what this does?”

I show him the magic suppression device.

“Yeah. The boss made sure to tell us not to touch em.”

“Yes. So, we do not have what you currently have. We are cold.”

“I get it but what do you want me to do about that?”

“Bring us blankets, big ones.”

“Huh?”

“Bring a lot of blankets, big ones.”

He looked annoyed. I stared at him and made sure to make him think about it again.

“Do I need to make your boss tell you again?”

“Argh. Fine.”

He leaves again. I return to Blanche, Lyn and the child.

“Why are you asking for blankets, anyway?”

“Do you like sleeping on the floor?”

“No but I already got used to it.”

“I have not. I would have demanded a bed if I could.”

“Right. I get it.”

“Besides, blankets are useful for many things.”

“Is that related to the bowl that you destroyed?”

“Of course. Everything I have done is for my own goals.

“Right. Whatever you say.”

After a while, he comes back with a bunch of blankets. There are a lot but not enough for all of us. So, some people would need to share if they wish. I check the blankets.

“They are made of cotton.”

Excellent. This is the material that I wished to have. If only I have access to alcohol, I could use these to make some decent weapons. Once the plan starts, we need to be able to defend ourselves to a certain degree. I do not know how many people they have nor the people that our rescuers will have. In the game, the female protagonist would go through a series of matches before getting to the boss. I need to make sure that we will not get caught unaware and unarmored.

“This one is mine. No complaints.”

I took the largest one for myself.

“Of course you do.”

“Are you complaining?”

“Yeah, I am. Just get a smaller one. That can cover more people.”

“No. This is mine.”

“Tsk. Selfish bastard.”

Lyn grumbles as she distributes the other blankets.

“I do not need one. I can regulate my body temperature. I am not cold.”

Blanche refuses to take one. Understandable as she has lived with the cold her life.

“At least you’re better than that one over there.”

Lyn looks at me in anger.

“I do not understand your anger. It is in her right to demand such a thing. Who is the one that was able to provide these for us?”

“Tsk, of course you’ll defend her.”

“I promised my cooperation and I will continue to do so. From my evaluation, she is very interesting.”

“Hah?”

“I may have said too much. Please do not inquire any further.”

“Whatever.”

Blanche is interested in me. Hmm, bringing her in would be very useful. I am getting drowsy. I wrapped myself in the blanket. It was big so there were still some that did not wrap around me. The child decided to wrap herself in the extra part and slept beside me. I ignored her as I fell asleep.

13