2: Don’t just give people new names!
261 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days had passed since the news about the Hero of Prophecy, but Villager A felt that there hadn't been much change. Well, it had only been two days, after all. Had the Hero even been able to set off on his journey yet? Villager A continued sweeping his family's storefront, as he did every day.

"Excuse me, what kind of shop is this?"

Villager A looked up from his broom. Before him stood a young man clad in full armor, brightly polished and blinding.

"We buy and sell various items," Villager A replied. He wondered what such a flashy looking knight was doing around here.

"That's so vague..." The man rubbed his chin. "What kind of items?"

Villager A furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean what kind? Items. We buy and sell items. What else?" What an odd man.

"Could you give an example?"

Villager A put a hand on his hip, the other still holding his broom. "If you'd like to see what we sell, please come inside."

The man simply grinned. "Okay!" He entered the shop, and Villager A went back to sweeping, but the door had just barely fallen shut when it was opened again. The man had already come back out. Well, it didn't take that long to go through the shop's inventory. "I see! Rather than selling, the main purpose is for buying miscellaneous stuff so players can make some extra gold, huh? How convenient!"

"What?" Villager A wished this weirdo would go away.

"What's your name?" the man said brightly.

"Villager A."

"No way," the man replied. He looked equally incredulous and delighted. "For real?"

Villager A frowned. Perhaps more defensively than he'd like to admit, he shot back, "Well, what's your name?"

The man looked away. He cleared his throat before muttering, "It's...CoolBoss69..."

"Oh," Villager A said. He wondered why the man seemed embarrassed. "Do you not like your name?"

The man looked at Villager A like he was crazy, which Villager A did not appreciate at all. "I-I mean...What kind of name is that?"

Villager A shrugged. "It seems like a perfectly fine name."

"Mob characters are really something else, huh," this mysterious CoolBoss69 muttered. Villager A huffed. Sure, he wasn't the Hero of Prophecy or even an adventurer with a Class, but it was rude to call someone a mob character, you know!

"You're not from around here, I take it?" Villager A said instead, choosing to ignore the man's rudeness. After all, maybe where he came from, social etiquette was different.

CoolBoss69 let out such a boisterous laugh that Villager A flinched from surprise. Truly, he was an odd man. "Boy, you could say that! I'm not even from this world!"

Villager A started to wonder if this man was all right in the head. But where would a crazy person find the money to buy such nice armor? Did he steal it? "What nonsense are you spouting?"

"I was just eating my banana when suddenly this portal opens and swoops me up! Next thing I know, I faceplant into this giant room, and a bunch of people surround me and cheer! They start calling me a hero and telling me to save the world! They even put me in this armor! Do you know how hard it is to walk in armor? This stuff weighs like forty pounds! Screw that, man!" the man ranted. "After a couple days of them getting me up to speed, I got the chance to give them some random excuse and get out of there." His hands flew around as he gestured wildly.

Villager A stared, dumbfounded. "I...uh...huh?" Villager A gaped, trying to process this infodump. He tried to extract the one piece of information he did understand. "You...Are you...the Hero of Prophecy?"

"Oh, not you, too! I thought at least the mob characters wouldn't recognize me," CoolBoss69--the Hero, Villager A corrects himself--groaned.

"Hey! Don't call me a mob character!" Villager A huffed.

"Well, with a name like Villager A, what do you expect?" the Hero laughed. "Hey--unless you want me to give you a new name? Yeah, how about I give you a real name?"

"W-What?! Don't just go around giving people new names! Just because you're the Hero, it doesn't mean you can do whatever you want!" Villager A felt like his world was turning upside down. Sure, he didn't really have any fantasies about what the Hero should be like, but wasn't this too much? What kind of Hero was this?! Wasn't this guy way too shady?

The Hero didn't seem to notice Villager A's inner turmoil. "How about...Noll? That sounds pretty rpg-like...Then again, my naming sense isn't all that great," the Hero said, rubbing his chin again. It seemed like a habit of his.

"No! My name is Villager A, okay?!" Villager A stomped his foot.

"Hey! You should be thankful! I'd love to be able to change my name. I just entered a joke name, but I didn't think people would actually call me by it...I checked the settings, but it costs, like, 50 gold to change it. I don't have that kind of money! Heck, I don't have any money!" the Hero sighed.

Villager A arched an eyebrow. "The Hero doesn't have any money? The King didn't give you any?" He figured being the Hero should have come with some perks, like gold.

"That's what I wanna know! Instead he gave me this super clunky armor and a sword I don't even know how to use!" The Hero waved his hands in frustration. "Where am I supposed to get money, huh?"

"Well...You can go to the slime fields and farm some gold there...I guess..." Villager A was reluctant to help this kind of supremely untrustworthy "Hero," but he thought that maybe this would get the guy to finally leave.

"Oh! Sick! Okay, be right back! Stay there!" the Hero said as he dashed away.

Villager A worried he'd get wrinkles from all the frowning he's done today. He rubbed his forehead. As if he could leave! It was his job to sweep his family's storefront, after all! He hoped that the Hero--supposedly, anyway--didn't come back.

6