Chapter 4. the Team
284 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(General POV)

Standing on a rooftop were three individuals who had defied orders to stay put, accompanied by one who was still trying to figure himself out.

"Told you we'd show you the moon," Kid Flash remarked to Superboy as they reached the top of the Cadmus building. "Pretty soon we'll introduce you to Su-"

Kid Flash's eyes, along with those of the other teens, glued to the sky to witness the graceful descent of their mentors and the rest of the Justice League.

The Team's (Robin, Kid Flash, and, Aqualad) little escapade had resulted in the recovery of a boy who appeared to be their age but was only a few hours old. Though his name was still undecided, his identity as a clone of Superman was well established, giving him the code name - Superboy.

Fate on their side, the Team had done well to rescue Superboy from the clutches of the Blockbuster in what had turned out to be a heated encounter, and a near-death experience situation.

"On the bright side, we are good at delivering our promises." Kid Flash continued as he saw Superman land together with the other individuals.

"But on the other side, Batman will kill us for going rogue," Robin added, hearing an imaginary deep voice scolding him in his head.

Among the Justice League members returning from the fight against Wotan was a new addition - a teenager clad in blue and red, and Kid Flash was quick to catch this.

"And just like us, they brought back a souvenir." Kid Flash noted, referring to the new teenager in a red cloak and blue attire."

"Yeah," Robin muttered, his face furrowed in thought as if calculating the proximity of the new teen to Batman.

---

(Aiden's POV)

The trip to the Hall of Justice was mostly quiet one, filled with a mix of comfort and unease. I didn't need to read their thoughts to sense their concern, wondering if I would suddenly lose control and succumb to the power that had begotten me earlier.

However, to err on the side of caution, they had offered to collar me, a gesture I politely declined, deeming it unnecessary. After all, I had aided them in their battle against Wotan; surely that warranted a modicum of trust, even if my performance had ended with some internal conflict.

Uncharacteristically, Batman had agreed to my willingness to accompany them back to the Hall of Justice for interrogation. Yet, beneath his facade of agreement, I could sense his underlying suspicion, his mind already fixated on the swift move he would make to secure the collar around my neck should I pose a threat.

In any case, our journey to the Hall of Justice took an unexpected turn as Batman's suspicions regarding Cadmus resurfaced amidst the escalating tension in the facility.

"I'm Flash, by the way," The Flash introduced himself with a smile as we journeyed onward. "What should I call you, if you don't mind?"

"Uh..." My thoughts were consumed by a whirlwind of unanswered questions, caught off guard by his inquiry. "I'm Ai-"

I almost revealed my true name but decided to withhold it for another time.

"I'm not sure yet," I replied, not wanting to leave him hanging.

"It's okay," he reassured me, still smiling warmly. "Don't worry. You were awesome back there."

Aside from the Flash, the others remained quiet throughout the journey, seemingly lost in their own thoughts or reflecting on recent events.

Arriving at Cadmus, the Justice League were met with the heroic faces of their proteges who had apparently gone rogue and decided to conduct the investigation themselves.

But as their interaction started, something mystical happened that caught my full attention and I drifted off. Some sort of magic symbol was drawing itself in the air with a mixture of different symbols. From circles to triangles and diamonds, all leading to the manifestation of a message that I was compelled to read.

~~~

Congratulations! You've hit the jackpot! You, yes YOU, have just scored the gig of a lifetime as the newest Mystic Ambassador of the DC universe! Cue the confetti and fanfare because you're about to dive headfirst into a world of magical marvels and cosmic chaos.

As our Mystic Ambassador, you're not just a mere mortal - oh no - you're the Undisputed Master of the Mystic Arts! But buckle up, because with great power comes… well, you know the drill. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and trust us, you don't really have a choice), is to navigate the mystical maze of DC and shake things up like never before.

And the perks? Oh, besides the sheer thrill of being a total badass, there's the chance to snag some serious cosmic glory by climbing the ranks and becoming our boss. Plus, if you play your cards right, you might just get the sweet taste of vengeance against us, served up on a cosmic platter.

One more thing: You won't believe the workload here. If you ever make it to the top and become our boss, pretty please fire us. (We're begging for it at this point.)

"Another thing: Oh, and don't forget to check out The Mystic Arts System we've prepared for you. I just remembered that I forgot the spell to conjure it (lol). But you'll figure it out since it's your only ticket to magical greatness!"

One last thing (seriously this time!): Try not to kick the bucket too soon. And definitely avoid angering the Almighty One when you get here. We're kinda relying on you, no pressure or anything.

One really last thing: We could've eased you into this with a less risky gig, but hey, where's the fun in that? We love a good laugh!

One really, really... Hey, can we borrow 20 bucks for coffee? Yes? Awesome! Consider all our future caffeine fixes on your tab. It's a forever thing. You'll never hear from us again you lucky buffoon!

*Poof!*

~~~

"So, it wasn't a one-time thing?" I mused quietly after finishing the message. "But who are the guys behind all this? Who wrote this message and what's the spell for the System?"

"But these powers are incredible, nonetheless," I thought, my mind drifting to the exhilaration of conjuring objects out of thin air. "Though, they're also kind of terrifying," I admitted, recalling my recent internal struggle.

"But it seems I don't have the luxury of accepting or denying them," I remembered from the message.

Just as I was about to delve into figuring out the spell for the Mystic Arts System, I was interrupted by the very first voice I'd heard since arriving in DC.

"Excuse me, young man," Zatara's voice broke through my thoughts, his curiosity evident. "Forgive my directness, but I must know: who are you really?"

As one sorcerer to another, I understood Zatara's need for clarity, especially after witnessing my sudden transformation from bewildered bystander to formidable mystic. My newfound confidence must have been quite a shock for him.

"I'm…" I began, but before I could finish, the Dark Knight interjected, butting in from nowhere.

"Save the questions for the interrogation, Zatara," Batman's tone was stern, cutting through the air.

"It's alright. I can tell him," I insisted, feeling the need to assert myself in the face of Batman's intimidating demeanor. As the surrounding fell silent, all eyes turned to me, waiting for my response, even Superman pausing in his conversation with his clone.

Taking a deep breath, I straightened up and met their gazes head-on. "I am the Master of the Mystic Arts."

For a moment, the top of the Cadmus facility was silent with what I thought was awe as a feeling of glory creeped in me. But then whispers and murmurs broke out as they processed my declaration.

"Master?" Zatara's eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the unexpected title bestowed upon me, a mere teenager who had struggled to defend himself from an Eldritch blast moments before, yet somehow managed to subdue Wotan single-handedly.

"Title too long," Robin quipped, his skepticism evident.

"I've got a shorter version," Kid Flash chimed in with a smirk. "How about M-O-M-A?" he suggested, eliciting laughter from both himself and Robin.

Feeling disheartened by their reactions and Kid Flash's mocking humor, I regretted introducing myself as the Master of the Mystic Arts.

"They're all just taking me for a joke," I thought, feeling a surge of negativity and the temptation to remove the Sling Ring to prove them wrong.

"But maybe they're right to doubt me," I admitted to myself, feeling the weight of my own limitations. "Unlocking my full power could lead to disaster, and I'm not sure I can control it yet."

Robin and Kid Flash fell silent as Batman shot them a disapproving glare, his expression conveying his displeasure at their behavior. This was why he'd wanted to hold off on questions until he'd investigated further. Whatever he had witnessed from me was not something he was prepared to underestimate.

"I'll deal with you later," Batman directed towards Robin, leaving Aquaman and Flash to confront the Team about their disobedience.

"Zatara," Batman turned to the magician, his intentions clear. "As a practitioner of the mystic arts, I'm sure you'd like to know more about our new friend, and his Ring."

Zatara nodded in agreement.

"And if it's not too much to ask, we could use your assistance as well, Manhunter," Batman addressed the Martian, then nodded to Wonder Woman.

"Off to the interrogation, then?" I inquired, noting the Dark Knight's movements.

"If you still plan on cooperating, Master of the Mystic Arts," Batman replied, using the title I had given them.

"Oh, come on. Really?" I interpreted his words as mockery, my faith in being taken seriously dwindling.

"Let's go," Batman concluded, leading the way.

~Prime

Advance Chapters in Patreon if you are interested.

Patreon.com/sorcererprime

8