CHAPTER 1 Mitsuko Williams
201 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 1
Mitsuko Williams

I log out of Digital Sin Online, the #1 MMORPG within Zenith. I take off my headset. The colorful realm of Luna Base with its constellations, spaceships, electric sheep, NPCs and other players fades into a depressing gray. The real world. My hair is sweaty. The wall is piss-yellow and decorated with waifu posters. I look out the 33rd story window and see others with headsets on, sitting against buildings like bums. I’m grateful to have peace and privacy.

I look in my shoebox fridge. No food, but plenty of 4 oz caffeine drinks. My stomach growls. I grab a Mad Bull, put on my headset and go back to grinding in hopes I can make enough gold to convert to real credits. I have to go back to school in six hours, but I also need to pay rent in a few days. I kill shadows in Tarukaja Tower for four and reluctantly go to bed. I’m still hungry.

I overslept. I look around my pod for an outfit. I grab from several piles of clothes on the floor. The Zenith is looking at me with allure. Maybe I should just stay home? Pfft, I wish; the only reason I have a roof over my head is because of school. Trapped in a loop with nowhere to go…

I dart into the gray streets, jogging to school with a Mad Bull in hand. My stomach churns, but I chug it regardless. Robot birds fly-by and scan my face. I don’t pay them any mind.

The world is a cringe, depressing place compared to the world prior to the invention of Zenith; at least, that’s what my parents told me. I never understood at the time, but now that I’m a bit older and have been living out on my own… I jog past the hologram store where every morning I’m greeted by a flickering neon maid with a high pitched voice. I happily wave. My parents were wrong.

Bebop Academy. The courtyard is empty. A bad sign. I slow my jog and walk casual as possible while catching my breath. I’m alone in the hallway, minus the robot security guards and the robot cubes cleaning the walls, ceiling and floor. I show the guard my school identification—my neutral face—its red eyes turn green, letting me pass. I halt at my homeroom door, take a deep breath, hold it, and…

I see a female student I don’t recognize. Her blonde hair is pulled into a high ponytail. Her sailor suit uniform is crisp with zero wrinkles. White long sleeve with a red bow, black pleated skirt shorter than her arm-span, transparent tights and white uwabaki shoes. She’s standing at the front of the classroom next to my teacher, Ms. Ogawa.

Everyone looks at me like I’m an unwelcome disease, except for the blonde; she keeps her gaze fixed toward my gawking classmates. Ms. Ogawa crosses her thin arms and shoots me a scornful look. “Well, well, well… Look who’s late, again.”

The female student glances at me with the corner of her eye. Her lips are pink like peony flowers. Her eyes are blue like the old pictures of the sea. I blush, caught off guard by her beauty.

I open my mouth, but the words don’t come out; I know better than to try like I’ve done in the past. Security already documented my absence; explaining is futile and only makes me look worse. I drop my eyes to the floor and walk to my seat. The blonde girl watches me.

“Now that the interruption is over… Miss Williams, please introduce yourself.”

I keep my eyes toward my desk. My ears perk up when she speaks. “My name is Mitsuko Williams. I am a third-year transfer student.” Her voice is low, soft and mysterious. I turn my head up to catch another glimpse of those blue eyes. I cannot look for too long before retreating.

I hear my classmates whispering behind me. “Williams? American? But her first name… She’s so hot. Back off, she’s mine! Maybe she’ll join the cheer squad with us?”

I wish I could put my headphones in, or better yet, just die until school is over.

Ms. Ogawa clears her throat to shut up the whispers. “Is that all? Tell us, what do you like to do in your free time? Any favorite sports? Political affiliations? Favorite clubs?”

Mitsuko smiles blankly at Ms. Ogawa and politely shakes her head. She turns back to the class.

“O-ok, well, let’s get you seated… There, next to Jin Hazuki—the boy who was late,” Ms. Ogawa points at me. I look to my left at the empty seat…

Mitsuko turns to Ms. Ogawa. “You want me to sit next to the delinquent?”

The class bursts into laughter. The shame of a thousand disappointed ancestors floods through me. My head is downcast, but I think I hear Ms. Ogawa laughing too…

Ms. Ogawa clears her throat again. “That is not a nice thing to say, Mitsuko,” she says, holding in a laugh. “Jin is a straight A student. Please, go ahead.”

I hear the click of Mitsuko’s shoes get closer and closer. She silently takes a seat. I don’t look up from my desk the whole period.

Lunch time. Three of our female classmates have already made friends with Mitsuko. I’ve been going to this school for over two years and I still eat lunch alone, yet already on her first day… I see some of the jocks trying to score with her. I get jealous, but am rather relieved when they walk away empty handed.

I’m grateful for the free food program my school offers. A bowl of white rice with some spam. I lather it with four free soy sauce packets and dip my disposable chopsticks in. Instantly I feel better. School lunch is usually my only meal of the day. I don’t eat on the weekends.

I look up from my plastic bowl. Three of the prettiest girls in our class and a cheerleader from another are talking to Mitsuko. More girls crowd around her. They’re the loudest table. Mitsuko doesn’t seem to be saying much. That must be one of the reasons she is already popular; the beautiful transfer student with a mysterious aura… I cannot help but to feel that familiar ache of loneliness well up in my chest.

Mitsuko catches me staring at her from afar. She squints her eyes. My jaw drops. I look at my bowl and stuff the rest of the spam and rice in my mouth and sprint out of the cafeteria. I shake my head violently. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I don’t have any friends, so I wait outside of my classroom. I’m the only one here. The first bell rings and I walk in. Ms. Ogawa is finishing up her lunch while on a phone call. She gives me a pitiful smile. I’m always the first one back to class. I have a feeling Ms. Ogawa is the only reason I haven’t been expelled. Despite her admonitions in front of everyone else, she has always been gentle with me one-on-one. I think that would change if my grades fell below an A+.

My classmates return in groups. Mitsuko walks in. Her three new friends are loud, popular and pretty. I look down to my desk, feeling worthless. The second bell rings and Ms. Ogawa continues the lecture.

The final bell rings and I snap awake. All the students jump out of their chairs as Ms. Ogawa tells us to do our homework and to get home safe and something about a test. Mitsuko puts her books in her backpack and gets crowded by her three new friends.

“Come on, Mitsuko! We wanna show you around town!”

“You said you just got here last night, right?”

“Ramen?! It’s on us! Ooo, maybe we can go to the arcade too…”

“Or karaoke!”

Mitsuko nods in agreement. I feel her blue eyes judging me as I leave the classroom. Or is it just my imagination? Of course… She probably doesn’t even know I exist. Oh well. Digital Sin Online awaits me…

3