Chapter 6: Sins and desires that echo
83 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the horizon is painted in grey, the only shadow remaining is your darkest stains, its abhorrent nature; a discord to the norm of existence.


Statues stood upright, rooted in the realm of her making. She knew all of them or some. She wanted to be forgotten, those eyes of stone that were once warm and loving, petrified her delicate heart.


The threads of hope that guided her path snapped, her sins too heavy. Her touch repelling them away.


The scent of companionship was like the scent of a Peruvian lily; it was nice for a given moment, nevertheless, corruption lingered within as desolation turned her garden rotten. The native birds departed swiftly.


The herd of deers feasting on the meadow, patiently waited for the coming of dawn. The golden dew formed, its preciousness enough for the creatures living by uncertainty to waste precious seconds of their short lives to taste its rare delicacy. Though they kept watch of the wolves lurking in the dark watching; waiting to sink their claws unto them. The girl stood their while been ignored, she was neither prey or predator, she was a forgotten at heart.


Once an indestructible mirror, it reflected the desired vision of its users, though it couldn't be moved from its sanctuary. Regardless, many trekked from afar to experience its glory casting upon them. The seers saw vines entrenched to its palate, but they ignored it. Only she knew how suffocating those tendrils was, but she persevered to fulfill her given purpose.

There was only so much she could endure. The visitors were too many, different desires, conflicting emotions reflecting on its surface.

Everything had tolerance; even the eternal mirror wasn't spared. It started with a crack, then it cracked further, the vines rejoiced, they immediately feasted on her broken fragments. No one could put her together again.


The whispers of the Valkyries swept away all the mist across the valley of melodies. The merchants could hear the tingling of opportunities, the sick crawled to the hymns of salvation, the nobles climbed up the golden stairs; their steps echoing with the symphony of prestige beyond them, but not so far. The trumpets of heaven resounded in all of creation. The resonance of life was harmonious. In all of this no one could hear the desperate cries of a girl, her vocals couldn't overpower the mass. She was just a whisper, but a forgotten one at soul.


***

Natalia languidly returned to her room after her small venture. Her expectations conveyed grim disappointment.


"I hoped, you weren't like them, brother," she said as she sat down on her bed. She placed an album on her lap as she perused through it, "but your no different to them, all wanting something from me."


The sight of her brother venting his desires through the figment of an imagination in her image, pained her. She always thought that she meant more to him, today she was corrected of her assumptions. She was just a tool.


"I would have given you my all, but am not worthy," tears stained her face as she caressed her families photo. Like raindrops converged from the darkest of clouds, the blood of her soul spluttered on the photo with a painful echo. She wiped her face after sobbing, "Maybe in my next life, but not this one."


She spent a few minutes glimpsing in the past, captions of a delightful film it was. She put down the album, with a resolution that was wrong in all ways residing in her soul, she spoke her last, "Please forgive me, everyone. I'm not strong enough. I'm sorry."


***


The cluster of pills were at her grasp, numerous capsules containing the temptation of an alternative path, an escape route from her sorrows.


Natalia held a glass of water. Without hesitation, she stuffed the contents in her mouth. Afterwards, the liquid sensation traveled down her throat marking the inception of her deed. It held a bitter taste at the back of her tongue, a worthy sentiment to the start of her convoluted end.


The clock's gears turned as the hands pointed out to a certain outcome revolving in different revolutions of acceptance.


The first cycle, grief; the night was still young, no one could stop the inevitable as the grim reaper made its entrance. She grieved for her failure to etch a legacy in this cruel world. It was her loss, and also the world, embers that never turned to ashes.


The second cycle, regret; the onyx eggs hatched in the warm glow of the first rays of a new beginning. The chicks waved their nascent wings to a new start. Only one egg remained unhatched, never seen the splendor viewed by its siblings. It never knew what it never saw, its curiosity starving.

Winter came forth, the father hoped for the egg's survival. It gratified him when it moved, then broke. The last one, finally stood out of its shell, the new dimension revealing its mystery to its senses. The infinite frosty ahead entranced it, but it never saw the true beauty of its counterpart.

Later she did, though it was at the end of the road, but it will never be the same as witnessing the first spark before her frail mind even knew what was. Natalia realized she should have conveyed her true feelings to her loved ones earlier, but it was too late.


The third and last, love; The lore of the devious garden that contained roses sparkling in shades of black.

The righteous ignorant cursed its existence, "A piece of hell itself breed by the devil himself," they said.

The flower enthusiasts fell in love with its mystique. The knight of valour harvested its petals, presenting it to his fiancée.

An illustrious alchemist found its thorns intriguing, it inspired him of a recipe to immortality. The king of a great lineage took notice of its stalk to heal his grievous injuries, plundering was his fortune. The reluctant opportunists left with nothing.

The flower represented Lucas, who was her last ichor from the fountain of youth, a perfect ending she desperately craved. A single gesture from her was enough to fetch it, but she hesitated, and that was enough for the shadow of her wishes to disappear back to its cradle, society had already chained her, preventing her from approaching the fountain again. Her love for Lucas went unfulfilled.

1