08A. An unwelcome surprise
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Minutes after Jamie entered the barrier

Veinham Headquarters]

Lisaria bolted down a Victorian-style hallway, at its end, instead of turning either left or right, she charged straight through the wall and into the Veinham Headquarters room. The room was dimly lit and in a frenzy, with Veinham guards setting up mana crystal balls throughout. Each desk received its own crystal ball, accompanied by scrolls and quills.

“General Ames, they know. I overheard them talking. There’s a pack and everything!”

General Ames turned from speaking with a guard and looked at Lisaria; her lovely auburn locks were out of place, and her chest was nearly exposed from her mad dash to the room. He cleared his throat.

Lisaria adjusted the top of her dress. How is he so perfect?

“Go on Lisaria,” General Ames said with a concerned look. He wondered why she was in a panic.

“It’s all gone to shit. I overheard some contestants talking. There’s a pact to kill the human girl.”

“Human girl, you mean Jamie of Pure Earth? ” General Ames asked.

"Yes, that’s the one,” Lisaria continued. Despite harboring resentment toward Jamie for catching General Ames' gaze, deep inside, Lisaria was touched by how hard Jamie worked. Jamie was doing her best, and that is highly admirable.

"Oh, and your little brothers snuck along and are now stuck in the Love Contest barrier, or so their nanny said because she can’t find them. Obviously, that would not be good since there’s a group looking for the girl. Your brothers will be in the line of fire."

General Ames felt his heartbeat quicken as he raised his hand to his chin.

Oh Gladmora, I love that thinking look. So hot.

General Ames turned to Lisaria.

“Unfortunately, it is up to fate now. With Veinham blood coursing through my veins, I cannot enter the barrier—an odd but deliberate decision by my forefather. While another capable caster could potentially breach it, I am not aware of anyone possessing such an ability. The best I can do is attempt to shorten the contest duration, but even then, there's a 48% to 52% chance of failure.”

“Miss Lisaria, please gather the 4th unit of mages. I need a great deal of mana.”

He is so hot when he tells me to do stuff.

[ Round 1- Day 1

Veinham Love Contest Barrier]

Jamie watched as the troll-like monsters walked in and out of the cave. There are so many of them.

The shortest among them stood at about five feet tall, while the tallest reached an imposing nine feet. From head to toe, their gray, leathery hide showed pronounced muscles, with toothpick-like teeth—20 in a row—and bald heads. Their yellow teeth protruded over their bottom jaw. They wore fur-like loincloths and seemed to be on high alert.

Jamie watched as a six-foot-tall one transformed into a deer. That’s so scary. They really can transform into anything. I just need to get my hands on a shield and hide out for -

“So, these are the shapeshifter monsters. I've never seen one before,” a child’s voice whispered, interrupting her.

“I’m hungry,” Henry said. Goosebumps violently rippled through Jamie’s body; she felt as if her heart would burst.

“Where are you?” she whispered.

“Down here,” this time, it was Benny’s voice. Jamie felt her soul leave her body. How the hell did the two of the children follow her into the portal? Isn’t the damn thing supposed to be powerful? It was one thing when I had to fight for my life, but this! Now I'm responsible for two innocent lives!

She looked down at her chest and spotted two chubby, tiny teddy bear-like animals with wings. “We wanted to come and protect you as well,” Benny said. Jamie’s head started to spin. What does she do now? Think, think, think, but she is so consternated, she couldn’t think. And at this exact point, she lost it. She burst into tears.

The two boys in their vessel bodies patted her back as Jamie sobbed. Then, with a deep inhale, Jamie slapped herself.

Okay! Back to basics, the kids are transformed using their special gifts, which means it doesn’t deplete mana. I haven’t fought any monsters yet, so I can’t gauge how I will fare. This shouldn’t change my strategy, well, except for my escape route.

Jamie looked at the boys. “Listen. Benny, take this green bracelet. If I’m in trouble I need you to promise me, you’ll use it to get you and Henry out of there. Promise me.”

“Maybe as weaklings, but as men, we can’t promise you that,” Benny said dignifiedly. Henry nodded.

“Look, this isn’t a game. I can die. You can die. Look at your brother, do you want to see him dead Benny? Because that’s what can happen if you don’t escape when I tell you to.”

Benny looked over at his three-year-old toddler. Henry was happily eating a berrywort berry.

“Fine,” Benny said and took the green bracelet. Henry looked surprised at Benny’s answer. Benny turned to Henry and winked.

“I saw that,” Jamie said flatly. God, this is a nightmare. I hope we all don’t die.

“Look, if we’re in a pickle, you should escape and then you can come back to revive me. You can’t do that if you’re also caught,” Jamie said. It was a trick; maybe Benny doesn’t know revival after death is not possible.

“That is also a good idea if you’re not dead. We will play it by ear,” Benny said. Jamie pursed her lips and sighed loudly.

Jamie did another check on her equipment. “Okay, stay hidden. We’re going to raid the monster’s lair for a shield.”

“A shield?” Benny asked.

“Yes. There are 79 contestants, well 77 now, and only 10 shields. Each shield is a combination of the various monsters’ hide that was shedded. Which means the shields have camouflage abilities, which is pretty cool. But that’s beside the point. I need to get a shield, hold on to it for three days and that will allow me to proceed to the next round.”

A few minutes later…

A horned shapeshifter monster approached the cave. “That one has a horn. This must be one of the caves where a shield is protected,” Jamie said as the three looked down at the cave. This one was her least favorite to try; it led underground, unlike the other one they were at.

“Benny,” Jamie. Benny looked at the horn monster, unblinkingly, his eyes turned bright white with a hint of blue. “Pass the entrance, first right, and straight ahead are two shields.”

“Two?” Jamie said surprised, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, they also have a cage with three contestants. It’s bloody.”

“Where are the women?” Jamie asked.

0