Chapter 1
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

WEEKS: 39-44

 

 

I had to roll my eyes. This girl, this stupid foolish girl... Not only had she screwed up my entire Friday by being a complete idiot, but she had topped the cake with her tears.

 

 

"Jane. Jane!" I had to get my voice higher; the skinny girl jumped in the chair and stared at me with her huge, red-rimmed eyes "Stop that. What's wrong with you? Be professional at least when I'm lecturing you, for God's sake!"

 

 

"I'm... I'm so sorry Miss Conrad!" Her voice trembled "Please, please I swear it won't happen again!"

 

 

"Jane." I sighed, rubbing my temples "Didn't I tell you how many strikes you had with me? On day one, didn't I explain everything you had to know about everything there's to do in your job?" She nodded, carefully "Well, then. How many strikes did I say you have?"

 

 

"Three..."

 

 

"Well, then." I tapped both my hands on my glass desk "This s strike number two. Now" I opened my schedule once more "let's recap, shall we? All my messages are important. You are to take all the messages for me and read them back to me before the end of the day. For God's sake... it is not that hard, is it? Go, carry on with all you have to do."

 

 

Jane stared at me with red-rimmed eyes but nodded and left my office.

 

 

Life's tough, and I had no time to waste with incompetence. Time's money, I learned that at a very young age. My dad is a pro at both spending his time wisely and at making money. He had a real estate empire as proof of that, and if I wanted to top it – or at least match him – I had to be tough as well.

 

 

I glanced towards my wristwatch. Just half past four. Everyone would start leaving the office very soon, go home, take off their shoes and relax, a good start for the weekend.

 

 

Me, on the other hand, I still had some emails to respond – the red flags on my computer screen were up to eighty, now. Management issues, people interested in new investment opportunities, money not coming in. As the Regional Director in Miami, I had to be on top of everyone else at the office. Every decision had my stamp of approval – which drove many of the office folk mad, but who really cared?

 

 

"Are you ready to go?" Eva, one of my best friends, asked as she knocked on my office door "We're gonna be late if we don't leave in five minutes. And you know how excited I am with this!"

 

 

"I still don't understand why you're going to do a tattoo" I cringed, getting up from behind my desk and gathering all my stuff.

 

 

"Oh, c'mon, grandma!" My best friend grinned, winking a blue eye at me "You only live once, and it's sexy!"

 

 

"I can't believe I actually trust you to be my lawyer." I pretended to cringe this time, and she pinched my arm, making me shriek "And why do I have to go?"

 

 

"I need moral support!" Eva frowned, as we entered the elevator "And you know Amelia is useless."

 

 

"Don't say that." I chuckled, even though I kind of agreed with her "She would vomit if she looked at the needles."

 

 

"I'm not so sure I won't myself" Eva confessed, turning a pale shade of green.

 

 

We got into Eva's fancy Mercedes, as she drove us into Little Havana. If my dad were to find out I was hanging out in Little Havana, he would call our family doctor to assess me, for sure.

 

 

Eva, Amelia and I went to school together ever since we were ten. The three of us all came from families with businesses and good money, but we all went on different paths as we grew into adults. Eva was the best lawyer I've ever met, I was regional director for my dad's company, Conrad Realtors, and Amelia... well... she was engaged to my Director of Sales. Sweet girl, not the brightest, though.

 

 

"Here it is!" Eva hummed, as we arrived in one of the colorful streets of Little Havana.

 

 

I cringed, again. Needles with ink on your skin, forever. Nope. Not for me, honestly. I looked at my tanned blonde friend in her pencil skirt, white crisp shirt and blazer, glasses on the tip of her straight nose. I could not believe Barrister Eva Waters was actually going through with her plan to make a justice scale on her lower stomach.

 

 

"C'mon, I cannot wait one more minute!" She shrieked, grabbing my hand and dragging me across the road into The Village Studio.

 

 

As soon as we walked into the front door and the bell rang, we had more than a few pairs of curious and confused eyes staring back at hers. I could only imagine what these completely covered in tattoos strangers were thinking: what are these two corporate stuck ups doing around here? Did their car break down, or something? The answer was no, not the car, but definitely, my best friend's brain had.

 

 

Eva dragged me to the reception girl, a bleached hair, fully covered in tattoos on her arms and chest, lots of makeup and thick eyeliner receptionist. I couldn't help to compare her to the short fifty-year-old Mrs. Lofthouse, Miami's Conrad Realtors receptionist.

 

 

"Hey. Can I... help you?" The girl asked, frowning up and down at us.

 

 

"Hi there. I have an appointment?" Eva explained.

 

 

"Oh." The girl seemed surprised "Ok... Do you know whom with?"

 

 

"Yeah. Jordan...?" Eva looked on her phone.

 

 

"Ah. Great. He's just preparing his table for you. Why don't you two sit and wait for a few minutes? Do you want something to drink? Huh... Tea?" She shrugged, taking us to the red velvet sofas in the waiting area.

 

 

"No, we're good" Eva waved a hand.

 

 

"Ok. I'll call Jordan for you."

 

 

Once she left, I looked around and whistled at my friend. If you ignored the dreadful sound of needles and people's grunts, and if you looked away from them as well, you could really appreciate the studio. The walls were covered with either stone bricks or long wooden boards that gave it a cabin look. Old punk, rock and folk records were hanging on the walls, the jukebox in the corner played a soft progressive rock tune. The lamps were black, an industrial look contracting with the cabin.

 

 

"Not too bad, huh?" Eva winked at me.

 

 

"Really... how do you say it... hip?" I shrugged, and my friend chuckled "I feel overdressed. And like I will probably get Hep C."

 

 

"God, Violet." Eva cringed "A little louder. I don't think the President heard you!" She teased.

 

 

"Are you Eva?"

 

 

My friend and I looked up as a tall, tall, scary tattooed man – probably a gang member – trotted our way.

 

 

"Hi. Yep, that's me" My friend nodded nervously.

 

 

I could see her hand shaking when she took the man's bear claw.

 

 

"Right. I've got everything ready for you, sweetheart. Do you know what you're getting done today?" He asked Eva as we followed him to one of the chairs, or tables or whatever they called it.

 

 

"Yeah, I do." My friend assured him, as she looked into her purse for the drawing "It's a scale, you know, for Justice?"

 

 

"Ah, I see." He took her photo and did a side smile "So you want something simple and clean. First time?"

 

 

"Yeah." Eva smiled, setting her hair behind her ears as she hopped on the table "What gave it away? The clothes or the shoes?"

 

 

The guy chuckled and tilted a dark brow up.

 

 

"Ok. I will draw this for you no problem, hun. You can have a look before you put it on your skin, does that sound good to you?"

 

 

Eva nodded, shaking her feet as nerves built up. I patted her shoulder and winked, so she would relax. I mean, I didn't agree with her turning her body into some lower-class neighbourhood graffiti wall, but she was my best friend, and I would be there for her when she needed my support.

 

 

"What about you, love?"

 

 

It took me a few seconds to figure out he was talking to me. I blushed down to my chest and shook my head.

 

 

"Not today, thanks" I put a hand up, with a side smile.

 

 

"Scared of needles, are we?" He grinned, as he grabbed a pencil and a sheet of paper and started drawing Eva's tattoo.

 

 

"Not really, but I don't see the point of putting something on my body forever" I shrugged, watching as his big hand swallowed the pencil and delicately started to draw lines on the white paper; I had to say I was impressed by that.

 

 

"It's a way of expressing yourself." He shrugged himself, not taking his grey eyes off of his work "Like that designer bag and pointy heels are yours."

 

 

I kinda felt offended by it. I frowned as Eva snorted into laughter.

 

 

"It's different. Taking these shoes off my feet are the first thing I do when I get home. It's not the same thing now, is it?" I shrugged, eyeing my nails and thinking I desperately needed a manicure.

 

 

"I dare say my ink holds more meaning to me than any pair of shoes you wear, love" The tattooed guy tossed.

 

 

"Oh?" I frowned "Is that so? Tell me, then, what the hell does that poo emoji mean, now?" I asked, pointing at a brown poo emoji on one of his knuckles.

 

 

"Don't get pissed around your tattoo artist friends?" He grinned, tossing those hard-grey eyes to me.

 

 

"That's deep" I snorted.

 

 

He just grinned and got up. Jesus, the man had to be at least six feet two! I am not even exaggerating, I am incredibly accurate, which is something you learn when managing a whole branch of your dad's company. Facts are facts and the rest save it for when you're showing off houses.

 

 

"What do you think, sweetheart?" He asked Eva.

 

 

Eva grinned; she loved it. Jordan prepared the ink, needle, disinfectant and his latex gloves. He pulled his tall stool and slide his big, muscled body into it. Eva was breathing heavily as she clasped her sharp nails on my hands. She pulled her shirt up a bit, and Jordan put the decal on her lower stomach after he shaved the area and disinfected it.

 

 

"Ok, are you ready?" He asked her with a smile, as he grabbed the needle "If you feel like it's too much, just yell and I'll stop, deal?"

 

 

As Eva nodded and bit her lower lip, Jordan started. Eva squirmed throughout the whole process. She shrieked, gasped and even teared up a little bit – and that was a tiny tattoo – I could only imagine the pain those people who decided a whole Chinese dragon was a good idea to have on their back, would feel. Once Jordan announced he was done and rubbed more alcohol on her fresh tattoo, my friend finally took a deep breath.

 

 

"How are you feeling?" Jordan asked Eva.

 

 

"I'm good, now. You're a psycho" Eva chuckled.

 

 

"That's what you're paying me to do." He winked, with that inherited charm you just knew he had; he grinned at me through his beard, and I blushed once more "What about you, love? Are you sure you don't want a tattoo as well? I've got a free slot."

 

 

"No, thanks. I'm good, really" I muttered, grabbing Eva's stuff and helping her get dressed again.

 

 

"Right." He shrugged; a side smiled on his lips as he wiped his hands "What about coffee?"

 

 

I blinked, grabbing onto Eva's handbag – my friend snorted into laughter and pulled her bag from my grip.

 

 

"Huh... I-I-"

 

 

"It's not as painful as my needles. Promise" He grinned, with a wink.

 

 

God, the nerve of this man! He was doing it on purpose, I just knew it. He was one of those ladies' man that got high on a woman's blush and giggles. Well, not with Violet Conrad he wouldn't!

 

 

"I seriously doubt that" I snapped through gritted teeth.

 

 

"Ouch!" He gasped, a hand rubbing his heart; Eva just stood there laughing, the bitch "That's harsh, sweetheart."

 

 

"That's life." I muttered, "You ready to go?" I asked my friend.

 

 

"Oh, I'm in no rush; it's Friday after all! You enjoy yourself" Eva grinned.

 

 

I squinted my eyes at her; she was so dead.

 

 

"Let's go" I grabbed her hand and dragged her out.

 

 

"You ladies going out tonight?" Mr. Too Tall and Tattooed asked as he followed us back to the receptionist.

 

 

"Oh yes!" Eva answered immediately.

 

 

"No" I frowned at her; why was she telling strangers we were going out?!

 

 

"Whereabouts are you ladies going?" Jordan asked with a grin as the receptionist frowned at him; well, at least this appeared to be a strange behaviour for him.

 

 

"Oh, somewhere downtown" Eva smiled at him; she was smitten!

 

 

"Downtown?" Jordan rubbed his generous beard as he considered her reply "Why don't you meet me and the rest of the guys later tonight at El Patio? I assume you ladies enjoy dancing?"

 

 

"No."

 

 

"Yes!" Eva answered immediately after I dismissed the guy "We'll be there!"

 

 

I couldn't argue as she dragged me out to her Mercedes.

 

 

"I'm not going to that gang bar!" I argued as we drove off Little Havana back to Miami Beach.

 

 

"Oh, calm your panties, will you?" My friend tossed, rolling her eyes "Little Havana is wonderful; I've heard of El Patio and it's one of the best places in the city. You need some emotion in your life, Violet. And so do I!"

 

 

You see, Eva was a mess now, even though she didn't want to admit it. Her boyfriend of ten years left her for some big boobed top model, and she was still hurt. Nowadays everything was about bungee jumping, skydiving, tattoos, cut your gorgeous blonde hair super short, going out to dangerous parts of town, eat and drink the weirdest shit. I get it, she was going through a grieving phase, and she wanted to do everything she didn't from her 20th birthday until today. But dragging me along while she pushed her body to new limits, that wasn't fair.

 

 

"Look, honey, I know you want to try new things... but seriously, I prefer my Friday night on a nice quiet restaurant and a cocktail afterwards. Classy... remember that?" I grunted.

 

 

"Oh please, don't be so uptight!" Eva snorted "Please, please, please come with me to the bar? It's going to be so much fun!"

 

 

"No" I tossed, with a side smug.

 

 

If you got a no from me, that was my final answer, and that was that!

 

 

***

 

 

"You tricked me!"

 

 

"Oh, poo!" Eva rolled her eyes, as we got out of her car into a packed Little Havana Road; I could hear salsa music coming from everywhere around us "You're a stuck up, sweetie. You need to go out and have fun. You are going to have fun, and don't you dare be surprised when I toss a smug look at you."

 

 

Eva was wearing a beautiful short dress with colourful flowers and a bit of ruffle, heels and her boy-short blonde hair slick. She was a beautiful girl; I didn't understand how she could be going through this phase.

 

 

I was convinced we were going to go somewhere nice and casual for dinner, so I was wearing a short peach pleated dress and white heels – I felt completely out of place.

 

 

Everyone was dancing to salsa, having lovely drinks and singing along to the songs. I didn't even know how to walk to the bar, how could she expect me to dance?!

 

 

"Two piña coladas, please!" Eva had to yell to the bartender "God, I love this! It's so full of energy and happiness."

 

 

"It's too loud." I complained, feeling really uncomfortable "And we can't dance!"

 

 

"Oh, you don't have to know how. All these men know how. You just follow their lead." Eva grinned and beamed as we got our drinks "Come on, let's dance together!"

 

 

Jesus, she knew how to embarrass me. We danced together with drinks in our hands for half an hour. Eva went to get another drink, while I went to the toilet. I didn't want to drink too much, as I knew my friend would and I would have to be the designated driver. When I went back to join her, I grunted and sneered as I saw her talking and laughing with the guy from the tattoo studio. When she saw me, she grinned and waved at me.

 

 

"Here's your drink. Compliments from Mr. Jordan Marshall" Eva grinned, winking at me.

 

 

"Who's that?" I frowned, taking my piña colada.

 

 

"That's me." The tattoo guy smiled "Having fun?"

 

 

"This is amazing!" Eva grinned; she was the happiest cookie "Lovely music, lovely drinks...!"

 

 

"How about a dance, then?" Jordan winked at her.

 

 

"Oh, don't mind if I do!" Eva grinned, and she tossed her drink at me.

 

 

I frowned, feeling betrayed. Weren't we supposed to go out together? Ladies' night and all that?

 

 

The music was an upbeat salsa tune, with the band on stage animating everyone – except for me, I must be honest. I was bored, sitting by myself at the bar while my friend was twirling around the dancefloor with the guy that had tortured her earlier in the afternoon.

 

 

"Hey." A really blonde girl greeted, as she waited by the bar for a drink "Weren't you in the studio earlier today?"

 

 

"Oh, hi." I smiled "You're the girl from the reception."

 

 

"I usually go by Stella." She smiled, shaking my hand "Your friend ditched you?" She jerked her thumb back at Jordan and Eva.

 

 

"Yeah... Can't blame her really; I could never make her dance like that."

 

 

Stella laughed and grabbed three drinks with her hands. She jerked her head for me to follow her through the crowd into her table. Another bleached hair girl with dreadlocks and a really cute tall muscled and tattoo guy were already sitting there.

 

 

"Hey, guys. This is Violet." She introduced me after I told her my name "Her friend ditched her because our Jordan decided to take her away to dance."

 

 

"Oh, well" The tanned guy smiled at me, pulling another chair from another table "grab a seat then."

 

 

"That's my boyfriend Rocco, and that's Dread." Stella introduced me "We all work back at the studio."

 

 

"Don't get me wrong, but you don't look like the kind of people who would enjoy salsa music" I smiled.

 

 

"Oh, salsa music just recharges you, doesn't it?" Rocco winked, taking his beer in salute.

 

 

"I really wouldn't know." I admitted with a chuckle "The only thing I've danced to is the Waltz in high school, senior prom. And it was really sad."

 

 

"Ouch, that's bad." Stella laughed "What do you guys say to a round of tequila? My treat."

 

 

"Oh, no I ca-" I started, as she got up.

 

 

"Don't mind if I do. Make this lady's a double." I stiffened as a pair of large hands dropped on my naked shoulders; it was him.

 

 

"Oh, wow!" Eva fell to the chair next to me, all flushed and happy "That was the most amazing thing ever! It was even better than sex!"

 

 

Jordan wiggled his dark brows at her, and they both laughed.

 

 

"I could use a drink, really." Jordan admitted, out of breath "Can I have a sip of yours, Dread?"

 

 

"I think you'll find it disappointing. It's just melon juice. No alcohol" The girl smiled, as Jordan took three big gulps of her drink, his thick beard and moustache getting a white shade because of it.

 

 

"It will do until the tequila gets here." Jordan grinned, winking at her "And here it is, my mistress!"

 

 

Stella tossed a shot of tequila to each of us. I eyed it with disgust, swallowing hard. I've never done tequila before. Making an internal prayer, I grabbed the glass and brought it to my lips.

 

 

"Hang on, superstar." Jordan laughed, his big hand stopping me "That's not how you do it. You never heard of lick, sip, suck?" As I turned scarlet, Jordan tossed his shaved head back and laughed, making everyone one else join him; yep, embarrassment, that was what was expecting me when I got out "Here, take the lemon. Give me your hand." He went down on my hand and licked it; he actually licked it! "Now some salt. Ok, now you take a big lick of the salt on your hand, drink the shot and bite the lime."

 

 

"I'm not going to lick where you've licked before" I snorted, and he grinned.

 

 

"Give it a try." Jordan almost whispered, dropping his head to come closer.

 

 

Stella took her own drink, counted to three and we all licked, sipped and sucked. And it was awful! I was coughing afterwards; everyone was laughing and wooing. Jordan yelled 'One more!', and he filled our cups, poured more salt into my hand and we drank again.

 

 

After the third shot, I couldn't help to giggle like a child when he took my hand, licked it and poured salt again. He chuckled in return, and we drank again. The music was beautiful. Happy, as Eva had put it, upbeat and it made your body want to move.

 

 

"I'm sorry I'm such a drag, sometimes." I told Eva, embracing her as the whole group decided to go back to the dance floor "I don't mean it!"

 

 

"I know you don't, you big goof!" My friend laughed, kissing my cheek "I love you, honey."

 

 

"Oh, me too! You're my best friend! I can't stand Amelia, nowadays" I admitted, whispering now.

 

 

"You don't need to whisper, she's not here" Eva grinned.

 

 

"I wished we would go out more, you know?" I muttered as we danced in an embrace "Just you and me."

 

 

"Ladies." I heard Jordan's voice coming from behind me "Having fun?"

 

 

"Oh, yessssss!" Surprisingly, it was not Eva who answered, but me "I love it here!"

 

 

"Happy to be helpful." He grinned "You ladies want one more drink? I'm buying."

 

 

"Uh, you know what I want? Another one of those amazing piña colada, please!" I sang as a new song came along.

 

 

"Tell you what, I'll get you a strawberry cocktail that you will love, after the next dance" He showed me his big, tanned hand, and I frowned; I didn't think it was a good idea to dance with the womanizer, but he smiled at me with those full lips and grey eyes and six feet two tall, muscled body... and I am only human.

 

 

"Strawberry?" I mumbled, squinting my eyes in suspicion.

 

 

"Promise." He turned more serious, a hand over his heart "Dance with me?"

 

 

I wrinkled my nose, and his smile was a bit sad and disappointed. I grabbed his hand with intent and pulled him into the centre of the dancefloor.

 

 

"I hope you are good because I'm really bad at this!" I warned him, and he tossed his head back to laugh.

 

 

I giggled when he pulled me really close to his body and whispered.

 

 

"I'll make you the star of the night" He promised.

 

 

Even though I later denied it, this was the most fun night of my entire life. Jordan and I danced for most of the night, I was sweating through my dress, Jordan through his grey t-shirt and jeans. I was a lousy dancer, but I didn't care, because he would twirl me and pick me up, pull me close and twirl me back.

 

 

"You're a great dancer!" I laughed, mesmerized.

 

 

"Well, I've lived here for over thirty years, you get to know the local culture" He smiled.

 

 

The song was over, and people wooed and clapped. The band went for a slow, and I went to blush and cross my arms over my waist.

 

 

"Hum... what about that strawberry cocktail I was promised?"

 

 

"After this one, ok?" He offered, taking my head gently, and snuggling me close to his chest.

 

 

I nodded a yes and let him tuck me into his arms. I hated this. This was uncomfortable enough with boyfriends, imagine with complete strangers.

 

 

"So" Jordan started, as we twirled slowly on the dancefloor "what do you do for a living? Besides being a bit of a drag?"

 

 

"Hilarious." I rolled my eyes "I'm in real estate."

 

 

"Oh, you sell houses?" Jordan nodded "Isn't that a bit boring?"

 

 

"Hum." I shrugged, avoiding looking into his eyes; would the man not look somewhere else, please?! "It has its moments; like any other job I would guess."

 

 

"Diplomatic answer." Jordan chuckled "I know your type, Violet."

 

 

"My type?" I frowned.

 

 

"You need and want to have fun, but you're wrapped in your little bubble of a perfectly organized life, that you don't see it."

 

 

"Oh, geez." I snorted into laughter "Look if this is part of your technique – analysing me –, don't bother. I've spent thousands of dollars and years on therapy."

 

 

"Thousands?" He winced.

 

 

"Literally" I smiled.

 

 

"It's not my technique" He frowned "I'm just trying to understand why you're so tense and on edge all the time."

 

 

"You've known me for" I eyed my watch "Literally, twelve hours" I had to chuckle.

 

 

"And in those twelve hours, I've been with you for four, and during those four hours you only relaxed with the help of a lot of tequila." He reminded me with a grin "It's... an unnatural way to relax, you see? Do you meditate?"

 

 

"Yeah" I shrugged.

 

 

"And yoga?"

 

 

"Am I that transparent?" I winced.

 

 

"Sorry." Jordan winced himself, rubbing his shaved head "Don't get me wrong, you're a stunner. Seriously" He continued after I snorted and blushed "those blue eyes of yours are massive, your hair is really soft" He added, caressing my neck length dark bob "and your skin is like... eggnog."

 

 

"Eggnog?!" I laughed.

 

 

"I'm really not good at this" He chuckled himself.

 

 

"Usually men use words like..." I thought about really tacky and cliché lines "Alabaster or white silk" I cracked and giggled.

 

 

"Jesus, it's so tacky it actually stings!" Jordan whined, making me laugh "Fair enough, it is just like white silk."

 

 

"Ok, look." I snorted, putting a hand on his chest "I'm really not interested. You're not my type at all."

 

 

"I'm not asking you to marry me." He laughed "I just like the way you are always feeling so awkward. It's... charming."

 

 

I chuckled but huffed as his big hand caressed my cheek. Those grey eyes stared down at me with such intensity that I heard high pitch noises in my ears.

 

 

He was leaning down, and my mind was twirling and yelling Oh my God, oh my God, OH MY GOD! He was going for the kiss. He was going to kiss me. Oh, shit! Oh, crap. My stomach was queasy. We didn't even know each other! Sure, he's sexy and all, but-

 

 

"Oh, fuck!" Jordan shrieked, as I puked on his shirt and shoes.

 

 

Great...!

 

 

"Oh, no!" I whined, feeling really embarrassed "I'm so sorry! Jesus, I'm so sorry!"

 

 

"Hang on." Jordan sighed, his hands grabbing one of mine and the other encircling my shoulder as he helped me get outside of the bar "Let's get you some air."

 

 

"I'm so embarrassed." I mumbled as he got me some napkins so I could wipe my mouth "Oh, Jordan, I'm so sorry. I'll take your shirt to a dry-cleaning service I use."

 

 

"Just sit here" He pulled a chair on the outside area of the bar and made me sit "I'll get you some ginger ale."

 

 

He was gone for five minutes and came back with a tall glass with a straw. He kneeled in front of me and helped me get the ginger ale down into my stomach.

 

 

"I don't usually drink this much" I admitted, blushing.

 

 

"I got that." He chuckled, looking down at his shirt with a smirk "I'll wipe it in the bathroom. Will you be ok for five more minutes?"

 

 

"I'll just call a cab and head home." I moaned "I'm not feeling too good."

 

 

"You shouldn't be alone if you're like that." He frowned "Just hold a few minutes, and I'll tell Eva to go home with you."

 

 

"No, please don't. I don't want to ruin her night" I whined.

 

 

"Ok, hang on." He sighed "I'll go wash up, and when I'm back we'll see what we can do, deal?"

 

 

I nodded, and he left me for a few minutes. I remember waiting for way longer than five minutes. People would come and go from the courtyard to the dance floor, and I remember having my entire glass of ginger ale and feeling better afterwards. I also remember more Latin slow songs and feeling really tired.

 

 

***

 

 

I moaned as the sunshine punched my eyes. God, Miami was lovely until you had a hangover. I pulled the covers over my head and wondered if I could manage to gather the strength to take a shower and a coffee. The toilet and the kitchen seemed miles away, though. I stretched, deciding I had, indeed, to take a shower as I stank, and my hand touched a warm body next to me. Eva. God, I really hope we got in a taxi last night and were not stupid to drive ourselves home.

 

 

"Mornin', sunshine."

 

 

That wasn't Eva's voice. That was a man's voice, and I knew that voice. I looked to my side and saw tattoo artist Jordan Marshall smirking on the pillow next to me. My stomach turned queasy, and I opened my mouth to scream.

 

 

0