Chapter 1: The Cruise with the Crimson Diamond (Part 1)
266 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The massive ship before me is nothing like anything I've seen before. Its neon lights shine brightly under the evening sun, reflected on the ocean's gentle waves. I can't help but feel out of place among the obscenely wealthy passengers who are waiting to board the ship, knowing that a cruise trip on such a luxurious vessel is beyond the means of a regular girl like me.

I steal a quick glance at the girl beside me and notice her dark green eyes darting around her surroundings, already beginning to capture every detail. Unlike me, who has spent hours agonizing over which dress wouldn't look out of place in a gathering of wealthy folk, she's wearing a simple cardigan and a pair of jeans, with her plain glasses being her only accessories. It was stupid of me to try to blend in. As long as I'm with her, we'll always stick out like a sore thumb in this grandiose gathering. 

"See anything suspicious yet, Sherry?" I whisper, unable to contain my curiosity. "Any of the guests caught your eye?" 

"No..." She mumbles, her slightly distracted tone indicating that she is still lost in thought. "No one immediately stands out, but I guess the "Phantom Thief" wouldn't be some amateur that can be caught so quickly." 

The Phantom Thief Sherry mentioned is a legendary criminal who has pulled off several heists, ranging from stealing an artifact from a museum in the middle of the night to getting away with a painting on the day it was supposed to be auctioned off. Every time they make a move, they'll send a calling card to the victim, alerting them of the Phantom Thief's arrival, and this time is no different. 

"Still though...I can't help but think that dad would've been able to catch them if he's here." Sherry mutters. "He's a much better detective than I am..." 

"Maybe the Phantom Thief is afraid of him, so they waited for him to be out on an overseas trip." I grin. "Well, too bad for them, because you're a much better detective than your dad, Sherry." 

"You're just saying that because I let you take dad's place on this cruise." Sherry says with a soft giggle. 

"Well, maybe." I chuckle. "But still, the host, Mister Rich Man or whatever, sent you two tickets for a reason, you know? He's inviting your dad and you. So don't put yourself down, and put your detective skills to work, alright?" 

"...Yeah. Thanks, Medea." Sherry smiles at me. "You always know what to say." 

Just then, it's our turn to board the ship, and we both let the guards pat us down before entering the large vessel. The interior is exactly as elegant and luxurious as I imagined, with ornate furniture and golden decor filling the space inside. Sherry is also looking around the ship keenly, though I doubt that it is because she's also impressed by its display of wealth. 

"Bulletproof glass, and almost everything is bolted in place." She mutters under her breath. "A lot of camera blindspots though, and the door locks seem very pickable..." 

"Miss Sterling!" A plump old man interrupts Sherry's train of thought as he approaches the both of us with a gleeful smile. "I'm so glad that you came! It's a shame that your father can't be here, but I'm sure that even you can capture that dastardly thief with ease!" 

"Ah. Greetings, Mister Richmond." Sherry says as she turns to face the man. "Thank you for your invitation." 

"And thank you for allowing Sherry to bring me along!" I smile as I offer the man a handshake. "I'm no Detective Sterling, but I'll do my best as Sherry's assistant to capture that dastardly Phantom Thief!" 

"Haha! I'm sure that you would do splendidly, miss!" He says as he shakes my hand vigorously. "That said, please enjoy yourselves on this cruise! I may have invited Miss Sterling here to catch that scoundrel but rest assured, my guards are carefully vetted and handpicked, and the police are here as well! Ideally, that "Phantom Thief" will see just how seriously I take my security and run away with his tail between his legs!" 

"I wouldn't be so certain..." Sherry mumbles. "After all, not just anyone would try to steal the Crimson Diamond, in the middle of an auction, no less...." 

"Oho...so you've done your homework, haven't you?" Richmond grins. "That's right, this so-called "Phantom Thief" must be quite brazen to think that he can take such a prized jewel from under my nose. If he were to try, my men will be on him in an instant, and we have one of the greatest detectives of our era on his trail as well!"

"That's a rather large exaggeration, sir..." Sherry shakes her head. "I-" 

"Don't worry, Mister Richmond. Even if they want to hide, Sherry will find that Phantom Thief in no time!" I cut in with a grin. "Your cruise auction will go off without a hitch!"

"That's what I like to hear!" The man says with a jolly laugh. "Alright, I won't keep you here any longer. Please, enjoy yourselves!" 

With that, the man walks off, and Sherry tugs at my sleeve with a frown on her face. 

"Why did you say that?" She whispers sharply. "What if I can't-"

"Listen, Sherry, it's all about confidence!" I say with an excited smile. "I mean, think about it! Sherry Sterling, the famous teenage detective facing off against the legendary Phantom Thief...I can already see the headlines for tomorrow!" 

"I'm not that famous." Sherry frowns. "I-"

"Oh my, then you'd be mistaken." A young woman, about 20 years old, approaches us. Her elegant dress, diamond ring, and golden necklace don't look out of place in this cruise at all. "I've read many articles about your exploits, Miss Sterling. Do you mind telling me what you think about this case?" 

"I don't do interviews." Sherry's voice suddenly turns cold. 

"Oh my, that isn't my intention at all." The woman says, her smile not leaving her face. "I am simply curious."

"You have a wire at your left wrist, and there's a video recorder in the pen on your collar." Sherry points out. I hadn't even noticed them before she said that. "Besides, that ring you're wearing is made of cubic zirconia, which looks like a diamond but is much cheaper. It's harder to tell with your necklace, but its color is a bit too brassy, so it's probably fake too. So, you're most likely a reporter pretending to be a rich guest to get on board. This auction is very exclusive, after all, and a lot of news agencies want to report on the Phantom Thief."

"...Haha. Incredible. I should've known better than to try to fool you, Sherry Sterling." The woman says with a resigned smile. "Yes, my name is Verity Drake, and I'm a journalist for The Daily Star. Do you mind not blowing my cover to Mister Richmond?"

"As long as you don't bother me." Sherry mutters.

"Sorry about her." I cut in with an apologetic smile. "She doesn't like being interviewed." 

"It's alright. Thank you for humoring me, miss detective." Verity smiles. "It was truly a pleasure to witness your deductions first-hand. I'll just take my leave now." 

With that, the woman leaves us alone, and I turn my gaze to Sherry. "So, you wanna check this ship out? It might help you catch that thief if you know more about its layout." 

"Yeah, that's a good idea." She nods. "Let's go."

The two of us make our way through each room of the ship. First, we check out the cabin area, then the deck, and then the mast. They're all very public areas, and there are guests in almost every corner. Since Sherry is here on detective business, we even get to check out the generator room, the bridge, the engine room, the kitchen, and the cargo hold. We couldn't see the Crimson Diamond though, as Richmond refuses to show it to anyone until it's its turn during the auction. 

"Say, I don't think you ever told me why you hate being interviewed so much." I ask as we make our way to the cabin where the auction will be held. "I get that you don't like talking in general, but you're always so hostile towards reporters."

"They're annoying, that's all." Sherry mutters, lagging slightly behind me while she absentmindedly glances around her, as she usually does when she walks. "All just trying to make the biggest headline." 

"There's more to it." Sherry might be good at reading clues, but I can read people, and she isn't telling the whole story.

"...Yeah." She relents, knowing that it's pointless to argue against me. "I don't want to talk about it." 

"Fair enough." I shrug off the topic. Sherry is the type to move at her own pace. There's no point trying to pressure her about something like this. "Well, the auction is about to start. You buying anything?"

"I wish." Sherry chuckles as we take our seats in the front row. The room is already crowded with guests, all staring intently at the stage at the front, waiting for Richmond to come out with the goods. "Honestly, even if I can afford anything in this auction, I wouldn't waste that money on some crummy diamond anyway." 

"Geez, you don't get it at all, Sherry." I grin. "I know that you're all about function, but when it comes to gems and artwork, the whole point is having it. Not everything has to serve an end, you know?" 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say." Sherry rolls her eyes. "Go ahead and have fun with your shiny rocks, I guess." 

"Ladies and gentlemen!" It is then when Richmond steps into the spotlight on top of the stage. A group of around half a dozen guards accompany him as a pair of them bring a painting into view. "Thank you all very much for coming! I won't waste your time with needless pleasantries, so let the auction commence!" 

Sherry and I watch as valuable gemstones, precious artifacts, and old paintings get sold to the highest bidder. Throughout the auction, I managed to notice a few disguised guards among the guests from their alert gaze and occasional muttering, most likely through a hidden microphone. I guess hanging out with Sherry taught me a few tricks. The bidding is quite slow, and there's a clear reason why. After all, most of us are here for one specific item. 

"And at last, the moment you've all been waiting for!" Four guards carry a glass case covered by a piece of cloth onto the stage, setting it next to Richmond before standing at attention nearby. "This diamond has been around for centuries, and many have shed blood to obtain this precious gem. All the blood that splattered onto this jewel has earned it the name..." During his dramatic pause, Richmond pulls the cloth off, revealing a beautiful diamond inside the glass case. "The Crimson Diamond!" 

Mutters of awe and curiosity fill the room as everyone's attention is drawn towards the stage. This is the main character of the event, and all eyes are on the diamond. Over half a dozen guards are on stage, with an unknown number of them hidden among the guests. The only exit is watched by a pair of guards who are alert and ready to apprehend any suspicious people. By all means, it would be impossible to steal the Crimson Diamond right in front of this crowd. 

It's showtime.

Suddenly, there's a loud snap as the room is plunged into darkness. Screams and shouts echo through the halls as chaos unfolds and people scramble around in a panic. The guards try to keep the guests in line with little success, and I slip out of the crowd during the chaos, feeling my way onto the stage. 

A loud crash fills the room before I pocket the meat tenderizer I...borrowed from the kitchen. Of course, I was careful not to accidentally damage the diamond, but I'm still relieved to find that the gem is completely intact as I retrieve it with my gloved hands. My time is almost up, so I don my mask and face the crowd, standing in front of the shattered glass case while holding up the Crimson Diamond as the backup generator turns the lights back on. 

"Hello, everybody! I would like to thank Mister Richmond for hosting this wonderful event!" I announce, relishing the looks of confusion and utter disbelief in the audience. "I, the Phantom Thief, shall gladly take this small welcoming gift and be on my way~!"

13