Chapter 1: A Hope
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the year 2080, humanity stood on the brink of collapse, facing the looming threat of all out war. Since early ages, a species that had been embroiled in conflicts over land, kingdoms, and resources was not unfamiliar with this perilous situation. The struggle for survival and dominance had transcended the boundaries of Earth, extending into the vast cosmos.

 

As humans evolved into a spacefaring species, their pursuits shifted beyond terrestrial concerns. The yearning for resources, a driving force ingrained in the fabric of human  history, now fueled endeavors in the unexplored reaches of the galaxy. However, the absence of a faster mode of travel proved to be a formidable obstacle, restricting the extent of their colonization efforts.

 

Despite the advancements in space exploration, the dream of faster-than-light travel remained elusive. The technology capable of propelling spacecraft beyond the constraints of conventional propulsion systems proved to be a puzzle that had yet to be solved. This limitation cast a shadow on humanity's ability to expand and thrive in the cosmic vastness, leaving them with few and limited options.

 

The colonization of their solar system had provided a glimpse of what could be achieved, but the boundaries of this small cosmic neighborhood now seemed confining. With the threat of total collapse looming, humanity found itself at a crossroads, searching for a solution that would defy the limitations imposed by the lack of faster travel.

 

The year 2080 marked a pivotal moment in the human narrative, where the struggles of the past converged with the uncertainties of the future. The desperate need for survival propelled the inception of the "Starlight" mission, a beacon of hope that aimed to unlock the mysteries of faster-than-light travel. 

 

This mission came into being after the discovery of an object named [00.03.779] by the “Spacer -9” space telescope, an object with quite peculiar shape and size sitting on the edge of observable range approx 30.24465 ly from our star system although this object code name: “Starlight” was discovered in 2050 but images and information was not completed but constant research and monitoring the object showed it to be a artificial construct. Although some information was still unclear a hope was still there, but this project was on hold.

 

In the year 2085, a miraculous discovery was made by Kato Mariner, a scientist born and raised on mars on a jump engine that was capable of a closer to light (CTL) engine suited for the mission of starlight.

 

As for human civilization, it evolved beyond country-based distinctions, adopting a government that was notably militarized and operated on a meritocratic system encompassing all facets of society. This militarized meritocracy proved instrumental as humans successfully colonized Mars and established artificial habitats throughout the solar system. The ambitious endeavor to colonize the nearby star system, while challenging, became an achievable goal for humanity at its zenith.

 

The discovery of the CTL engine, also known as the Kato Engine, marked a pivotal moment in human history. It ushered in a new age of discovery and exploration, opening up unprecedented possibilities for interstellar travel. However, these engines, though discovered, were still in the prototype stage and required substantial refinement before they could fulfill their potential. This breakthrough fueled the collective  drive of humanity, spurring them to polish and perfect the CTL engines in a pursuit that held the promise of expanding their reach into the cosmos.

 

It took time but on 7 october 2090 project “starlight” was launched with a ship named “Solar-779” fitted with one of its first CTL engines  as the ship building was nearing its finish the high command issued an order to assemble a 6 person crew.

 

The artificial habitat hummed with excitement as Dr. Alexander Kane's speech reached its climax. Jake turned to Maria, his fellow astrophysicist, and couldn't contain his enthusiasm. "Can you believe we're actually about to launch  into the cosmos?"

 

Maria grinned, her eyes sparkling. "It's surreal, Jake. We're making history."

 

Chris, the pilot, joined the conversation. "History or not, I just can't wait to fly that baby into the great unknown."

 

Sarah, the biologist, chimed in, "And I can't wait to see what kind of life forms might be out there. This is the opportunity of a lifetime!"

 

Mark, the computer scientist, added with a smirk, "Well, I hope the aliens out there have a sense of humor. I've got a few programming jokes ready just in case."

 

Emily, the systems engineer, laughed. "Let's hope they appreciate our human quirks. We might be the weirdest thing they've ever encountered!"

 

As they bantered and shared laughs, Dr. Kane approached the group. "I'm glad to see such enthusiasm, team. This journey is not just about the destination; it's about the journey itself and the bonds we form along the way."

 

Jake nodded. "We're ready, Dr. Kane. Ready to explore, learn, and push the boundaries of what's possible."

 

Dr. Kane's eyes sparkled with pride. "That's the spirit, Jake. Now, let's make history together."

 

The crew members exchanged nods and encouraging glances before heading towards Solar-779. As they suited up and made final preparations, the weight of the moment hung in the air.

 

In the cockpit, Chris adjusted his controls, and Maria looked at Jake. "Ready for liftoff, Jake?"

 

"Born ready," Jake replied with a grin.

 

The countdown echoed through the spacecraft, and as the CTL engines roared to life, the crew felt the exhilarating force of the launch. Conversation was replaced by the collective focus on the mission ahead as Solar-779 soared towards the cosmos, leaving behind the habitat near Jupiter and venturing into the uncharted depths of space.

 

It’s a pre planned journey 90 years in space as the ship was fitted with a cryo tube that can preserve a human for up to 100 years but the maintenance on the ship has to be done every 10 years.

1