Flashback – Part 1
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

/Earlier that day/ 

 

Alarea looked destitute. The red haired woman slouched over an inn table, half empty jug of cheap mead nestled in her hand. Weeks had gone by since she left her home, or more accurately ran away, in order to pursue her passion for the sword. And yet here she was, still several jugs of mead deep even days had passed since she was rejected from the Academy. 

 

“What the hell am I doing?” She had dropped everything to come here, even going so far as to cut her once golden blonde hair short and dye it red to escape the eyes of the men her father had surely sent after her. Long gone were the flowing silky smooth garbs she used to enjoy, instead replaced by rough pants and an overly tight leather corset. “Maybe I should just go home.. father shouldn’t be too mad if I come back on my own.” 

 

Alarea groaned at the thought, chugging down the rest of the awful tasting mead. 

 

The inn itself was fairly empty, although when daylight starts to fade that would change, the inn being one of the more popular spots in the city. Its wooden interior was relatively clean, save the ever present mead stains that every such establishment would always have, however compared to others it was very nice. 

 

The inn was three stories, the first being filled with circular tables, much the same as the one Alarea currently found herself seated at. The second floor was much the same, overlooking the first from a balcony above the inn's main bar/desk. The second floor only had half the amount of space as the first, half its floor removed to allow the entrance to feel much more open and airy.

 

The third held accommodations, small rooms with nothing more than a single bed that served no purpose other than to sleep. 

 

Alarea waved down the waiter behind the bar, holding her now empty mug of mead in the air. The man nodded before getting to work filling her another.

 

“How are you doing tonight beautiful?” Alarea had to force herself not to slap the sleazebag that helped himself to a seat at her table, not only because she didn’t want to cause a scene but the fact that he always strutted around with his little possy. 

 

“Again, I'm not interested.” He had been pestering her since her first time in the inn. The first time she was cordial, a custom installed in her from her upbringing. However the man didn’t know what the word no meant, and so kept coming back every night. 

 

“Ooh don’t be like that beautiful,” the dark haired man kicked his muddied boots onto the table causing her to recoil in disgust. “Give me a change will you? This is a dangerous city, it's best to have a man by your side that can keep you safe.”

 

His friends also took a seat, the group of six surrounding her. 

 

“Kindly leave.” She felt uncomfortable at the men openly ogling her infront of her face, not having enough shame to at least pretend that they weren't.  

 

“What's wrong sweetie?” A different man at her side spoke out, his hand grabbing a lock of her hair and bringing it up to his nose, giving it a big sniff. “Mmh.. your hair smells as wonderful as you look.” 

 

“Enough!” Alarea reached out and grabbed the man's hand, squeezing as hard as she could before she slammed it into the table. She had hoped to intimidate them, however her actions had only caused them to laugh. 

 

“Aren’t you a feisty one?” The dark haired man cackled, stroking the hilt of the blade at his waist. “I can play rough as well if that's what you like?” 

 

“Try it.” She reached for her own blade, ready to fight if they pushed it too far even if she didn’t fancy her chances in a 6v1. 

 

“That's enough.” A waiter walked up to the group, placing another mug of mead before Alarea. “Get lost Rex, the lady doesn’t want you here. Or do you want me to get the boss to kick you and your boys out on your ass again?” 

 

“Don't worry we’ll go.” The man, Rex, raised his hands up in surrender, getting up off his chair causing the rest of the group to follow. “But I dare the boss to try that again. You know who we’re with now don't you? Snake eyes doesn’t take kindly to people messing with his boys.” 

 

Rex knocked his shoulder into the waiter as he walked past, the water rolling his eyes at the act. “You alright Alarea?” He took a seat himself, watching the group walk out of the inn doors. “Every time you're in here they always try something.” 

 

“Better now,” she relaxed after the group left, letting her hand fall away from the hilt of her blade. “Thanks James.” 

 

“Hey no worries, just doing my job.” The waiter, James waved off her thanks. “So your going to go looking for the man in the forest today?” 

 

“Yeah, that's the plan.” She looked out the window, the sun just beginning to dip below its highest point. “I best get going, I don't want to get caught outside the walls after nightfall.” 

 

“That’d be for the best,” James said as Alarea picked up her fresh mug of mead and downed it in one, slamming the empty mug into the table. 

 

“Urgh! It tastes as shit as ever.” She complained. “Have you put any thought into my idea of getting some good drink? The wine from Aurora Valley is fantastic this time of year.” 

 

“Hardy har miss money bags, unlike your noble self us peasants can't afford something like that.” Alarea looked away sheepishly, she kept forgetting that what she was used to as an everyday occurrence back home was a luxury to the vast majority of people. “But yes, make sure to get back before nightfall. The city guards might not let you back in after dark.” 

 

“Will do,” she stood, tying her sword back onto her waist. “Thanks again for before.” 

 

James tried to wave off her thanks for the second time, however she wouldn’t have it, closing her ears to his words and making her way out the door. The sun was high up in the sky, its warm embrace washing over her as she joined in the busy traffic up and down the city's main avenue. 

 

To her left sat the famed Karaeth Academy, its towering spires looming over the city. Even all this distance away it still filled her with awe. However it was not for her, the academy's doors were now shut on her and so she turned to the right, making her way towards the large city gate. 

 

Her mind was clouded, sadness and anger at being rejected from the academy mixed with shame and fear from running away from her home. She was in no state to mind the world around her, let alone catch the six shadows that broke out of a narrow alley and followed behind her. 

 

“Are you sure about this boss?” 

 

“Just shut up and do as I say,” Rex smacked the head of the man who spoke up. “Just think about what we can do when we get our hands on that babe? You saw how smooth her skin looked under her clothes, those slum whores you like can’t compete with such a high class beauty like her.” 


“But didn’t Snake Eyes give us a job to do?” 

 

“We’ll do it after, don't worry.” Rex grinned. “This shouldn’t take too long.” 

0