Karaeth Academy
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The Karaeth Academy grounds are closed,” a guard plainly said before the large drawn shut doors into the academy grounds. “Please return at dawn.”

 

Alexander looked miffed. Once upon a time no one would dare turn him away, no matter the hour in which he arrived. And yet here he was, being denied entry by a lowly guard. It seemed the time he had spent away from the world had made them forget his face. 

 

Although he had left that life behind, this was still a novel experience for him. Even if he still somewhat understood. The Karaeth Academy was in an entirely different nation that the one he used to call home, while his exploits may have traveled far that did not mean that he would be recognised. 

 

But even still, he wouldn’t use that name. He had left it behind and didn’t want it back. Even if he was meeting with an old friend, he knew that he would have enough courtesy not to parade his return on every news publication he could find. The two were close, he would understand. 

 

“Haha.. yes yes, we understand..” Alarea pulled on his arm when she saw that he wanted to try and argue, not wanting to antagonize the Academy. “Come along now master, we can return in the morning.” 

 

“I suppose so,” he gave in with no real fight, letting his new apprentice lead him down the main avenue and into a bustling inn, Twilight Tavern inscribed above its door. The inn was bustling with activity, the night having set in leaving this as one of the few establishments still open. 

 

The pair squeezed past the crowded floor, having to push aside some of the more rowdy guests to reach the front desk. James, the waiter Alarea was already acquainted with, was behind alongside two other staff members, rushing about filling up jugs and passing off food to their wait staff. 

 

“Alarea,” he greeted, sliding her over a jug of mead. “Good to see you made it back on time. How goes you hunt for this elusive swordmaster?” 

 

“What do you mean? Master is right her-” she looked to her side, only to find that he had completely disappeared. “Huh?” 

 

“Man, you have it bad,” James sighed as he leaned down on the sticky dew covered counter, holding up three fingers. “How many fingers am I holding up?” 

 

“I'm not going crazy!” She slapped away his hand. “He was right next to me, did you not see him?” 

 

“You came in alone,” he looked at her with some concern. “I think you need to get some sleep.”

 

“Oh shut up,” she picked up her jug of mead and threw a couple copper coins onto the bar. Looking around the crowded inn she saw no sign of her newly found master. Only when walking up to the second floor did she spot him alone on a table, overlooking the bustling ground floor below. 

 

“Why did you wander off up here?” She questioned, taking a seat opposite. 

 

“Ohh,” his eyes shot back to her after a few seconds, mind occupied elsewhere. “Don’t worry, I'm not going to leave right after I accepted to teach you. I just don’t need my name and face paraded around, it would be wise for you to keep that in mind.” 

 

“Ah of course,” Alarea apologized, her head slightly bowed. “I'm sorry for any offense.” 

 

“It's alright, you couldn’t have known,” Alexander waved off his apprentice's concerns. “However, now you do. I trust that you can use discretion.”

 

“Of course,” Alarea responded, however she noticed his attention was drawn elsewhere. She traced his gaze down to a bard upon a small stage. Strumming her lute she sang a song that had become quite famous a few years ago. “Do you know what this song is about master? I doubt you’ve heard it before since you were hidden away in the forest for so long.” 

 

“Hmm,” he hummed, eyes not leaving the performance. “I may have not heard this song before but I know what it is about.” He turned back to her. “Also, I thought I told you to be discreet. Do try to refrain from calling me master in public.” 

 

“I'm sorry mas- err.. umm what should I call you instead?” 

 

“Alex will do.” she looked somewhat pained at saying her masters first name, and so with a sigh he gave her another option. “Teacher will do then, sir if you must.” 

 

“Of course teacher,” she said with a smile, much more comfortable with this name. “But yes about the song, it seems you have a similar name to the great general it sings about. Alexander Thustra. Did you know he single handedly fought off an entire squad of 7th circle mages! He’s an inspiration to everyone that wants to be a swordsman.”  

 

Alexander looked uncomfortable as Alarea began gushing about this great general's exploits, not knowing that the man she spoke of was seated across the table from her. “It would do you good not to believe such stories at face value. They are often greatly exaggerated.” 

 

Alarea blinked at his dismissal, confusion evident on her face. “If you say so..”

 

Alexander grunted and stood, Alarea moving to stand as well however he held out his hand. “We shall meet here again come dawn, there are some things I must attend to first.”

 

“Of course teacher,” she fumbled around in a small pouch, pulling out a few copper and bronze coins. “Here. I saw you didn’t bring anything with you, shall I arrange some accommodations for you?” 

 

“No need,” he pushed the coins back to her. “I will return at first light, make sure you are here.” 

 

He left without another word, expertly weaving his way through the crowded inn and out into the cool night air of the street beyond. His mind was muddied, the song bringing back memories he thought he had long since come to terms with. However it seemed he had not, and had simply pushed them out of his mind instead. 

 

“Maybe it was a mistake coming here.” He thought as he made his way back towards the Academy. “The farmstead may have burned down but I can always rebuild it. There is plenty of wood that can be harvested.” 

 

However he quickly dismissed the thought. He had seen himself in his new apprentice, the look of defiance in her eyes as she faced down her assailants. Even if she herself did not know it, the trance she entered had shown a great potential for her future growth. The fact that her aura subconsciously came forth to protect her boded well for her future. However such talent would be wasted in the hands of anyone else, the new methods of training completely disregarded the feelings of one's own aura, forcing it to bend to the users will rather than working alongside one another. 

 

The new method that had taken over the world disgusted him, as it did many other masters that he had had the pleasure of meeting over his long career. Such a rank could only be achieved by the union of two into one, something that could not be done when one was enslaved to the other. 

 

However to the powers that be their complaints were meaningless. Even a giant could be felled by an army of ants, or at least, that's what they thought. 

 

Alexander reached the main gate once more, his footsteps becoming unreadable to the common man as moved like he was dancing across the wind. He was no assassin, but deceiving the eyes of lowly guardsmen at his level was a simple matter, who remained completely oblivious as he made his way through the gates and into the academy grounds beyond. 

 

– – 

 

“Goodnight Headmaster,” his secretary popped her head through the door. “I’ll see you in the morning. Don't stay up too late.” 

 

“Have a goodnight Nina,” Headmaster Bernard Lokken said back, waving off her concerns as he continued to fill out a seemingly constant stream of paperwork that landed on his desk. She closed the door, leaving him alone in his sizable office. 

 

The walls on either side were lined with large floor to ceiling bookshelves, a wheeled ladder in place to access the higher shelves. Bernard sat behind his own large dark oak wood desk, to his rear a set of three large windows overlooking the academy from its highest peak. He had one cracked open, the cool night air refreshing him somewhat. 

 

The door opened again, Bernard not bothering to look up from his work. “Yes Nina?” 

 

Strangely he got no response. He looked up towards the door, and where he had expected to find his secretary instead was met with an old bearded man, dressed in what could only be described as rags. Although that was his wealth speaking, growing up in a wealthy home and transitioning into a high paying position like Headmaster. 

 

“Can I help you?” He questioned, slightly alarmed that someone had walked all the way up to his office without a word being sent to him in advance. 

 

“It is good to see you again Bernard.” The man spoke, voice gruff. Benard frowned, recognising the voice and yet not quite being able to place it. “Has my appearance changed so much you can not recognise me?” 

 

Bernard's eyes opened wide in recognition, while the overgrown hair and beard covering his face may have obscured it, there was no way to hide the piercing green eyes that stared back at him. He jumped to his feet, instinctively standing up at attention, hands clasped behind his back. 

 

“General.” He greeted. 

 

“Ha, at ease,” Alexander exhaled. “I am a general no more.” 

 

“I..” Bernard began, not quite finding the right words to say. “We thought you were dead.. Where have you been all this time?” 

 

“I had simply had enough,” he answered, taking a seat on one of the two couches arranged perpendicular to Bernard's desk. “The war was over. There was nothing left for me there.” 

 

“But still..” 

 

“Enough about that,” Alexander cut him off. “Please, sit. This is your office, and I have come to ask you for a favor.” 

 

“Of course,” Bernard made his way around his desk, taking a seat opposite Alexander. “Please ask, if it is within my power I will do my best to see it done.” 

 

Alexander nodded in thanks. “I have taken an apprentice, and while I may disagree with the curriculum, an Academy will still serve her well. Being able to train side by side with people her age will be of great benefit.” 

 

“Of course, that is a simple thing to arrange .” Bernard easily agreed, being the headmaster had its perks, and accepting a single student into the academy was a simple matter. “The term may have already begun, however I'm sure we can slip her into a class. This should be no problem.” 

 

“There is one more thing. I do not wish to have to constantly sneak in here in order to instruct my apprentice.” 

 

“Of course. I can have you placed as the combat instructor for your apprentices year group if you’d like.” 

 

“No,” he said plainly. “I appreciate the offer, however it is important that she also learns from someone with a perspective different from my own.” 

 

“Very well then, how about a different year group? We often have trouble finding a suitable instructor for the students in our graduation class. I would do it myself, however I unfortunately lack the time, and I could think of no one more qualified than you for the position.” 

 

“Very well,” Alexander nodded at the arrangement. “While I am first and foremost here to ensure the training of my apprentice, I will not slack in the training of those you place under my care. Of that I assure you.” 

 

“I have no doubts General.” 

 

“Please,” Alexander spoke up, “I no longer hold that title.” 

 

“Ah, of course.” Bernard apologized. “I have no doubts that you will train my students well, Alexander. If you are not qualified then quite frankly no one is.” 

 

“You have my thanks,” Alexander bowed his head slightly, causing Bernard to jump up and straighten his shoulders. 

 

“There's no need for that,” Bernard smiled. “I have owed you my life on more than one occasion. If anyone should bow it should be me.” 

 

Bernard had been one of his commanders, the two fighting together on numerous occasions against numbers and foes much greater than them. Alexander nodded at his gesture as the man sat himself back down. 

 

“I am thankful for all your help. But I have to ask that you do not share my coming here with any of the others. If the king finds out I am still alive he will stop at nothing but forcing me to come back into his ranks.” 

 

“Don't worry, I understand. It was hard enough for me to leave and come here, I can't even begin to imagine what he would do if he knew you were still around.” 

 

“Thank you again Bernard,” Alexander stood and shook the headmaster's hand. “Oh just one last thing,” He turned as he opened the door. “Do you have a room I can stay in?” 

0