Professor Elina
9 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Urgh..” Alarea groaned as she leaned over her desk, waiting for the next professor to arrive. There was a brief lull between lessons as the professors rotated between classrooms, their next lesson being Medicine. “Does he always talk that fast?” 

 

“Yup,” Coral leaned back, enjoying watching the suffering on Alarea’s face. “He doesn’t waste a second in his lectures, and hands out a huge amount of homework.” 

 

“Don’t even get me started on that,” she moaned as she lifted up the bonafide mountain of papers and books that the good professor had given her to, ‘read up on’. It had only been a few weeks since the year began for goodness sake! Alarea doubted they had covered this much material already. Although based on the one lecture she had attended she might just very well believe it.

 

“At least our next lesson is good, Miss. Erina is great.” 

 

“Is she our Medicine teacher?” Alarea questioned. 

 

“Yeah, she’s an elf so her knowledge of herbs is huge.” Coral began gushing. “She’s my favourite professor, and doesn’t hand out any homework so it's even better.” 

 

“Sounds fun,” Alarea smiled as she watched Coral ‘fangirl’ over their next professor. “What’s the medicine class about? Like first aid and such?” 

 

“Yeah. That and what wild herbs you can use in a pinch, how to brew your own simple medical supplies and such. Although for us first years it's just how to keep yourself alive long enough for someone with actual knowledge to find you.” 

 

“So actually useful information rather than stories about the great general that everyone already knows?” 

 

“Yeah that's about right, at least here we can learn something that we will actually use in the field.” 

 

A tall and lithe elf walked into the classroom, her long pointy ears just slightly poking through her head of light green hair. Her face held a pleasant smile, seeming to radiate out and sooth all that looked at it. 

 

“Good morning students,” her voice echoed off the walls like a series of incredibly soothing bells. “And to our newest student.” She fixed Alarea with a smile. 

 

“Now, when we were last left off we were speaking about…” 

 

Alarea felt her mood improve stubbly as the professor began, her manner of speaking slow and thoughtful. The subject of discussion in contrast, was completely brutal, the smiling professor walking them through how to pack and close wounds, how to stem bleeding and in the most unfortunate circumstance, if and when a limb should be amputated. 

 

“Now, just because I'm showing you how to properly and safely amputate a limb, does not mean that you should,” she stressed. “This is only for the most dire and hopeless situations. Do not deprive yourself or an ally of their limb when an alternative is still available.” 

 

She demonstrated on a model skeleton, showing the weakest places where one could cut through the bone with minimal trouble. Alarea wished she could be taking notes, however she had yet to get herself a notebook, or even a pen for that matter, and so had to be content with simply listening. 

 

“It is important to remember that being prepared for the worst can make all the difference,” Professor Erina said as the lesson began to come to a close. “The quicker you can react the more chances you have to save your life, or that of another. Swordsmanship skills are important, I wouldn’t take away from that, but to use them you need to live first.”  

 

A bell echoed through the halls, their morning lessons coming to a close as the students stood to go about their short recess. “Miss. Alarea if you could stay behind a moment.” 

 

“We’ll wait outside,” Coral said as she, Edward and Sofia joined with the rest of the class and made their way outside. 

 

“Yes professor?” Alarea made her way up to the small plinth behind which the professor was organising her papers. 

 

“Miss Alarea, it's good to meet you,” the professor began, a small smile ever present on her lips. “How are you finding the academy so far? I have to admit your admittance is a bit unusual, so a lot of us professors haven't been able to arrange textbooks for you yet.” 

 

“That's quite alright professor, this came as a surprise to me as well. But the academy has been good to me so far and I had always wanted to attend so I have no complaints.” 

 

“Then all is well,” the professor nodded. “My office doors will always be open if you need anything. Don’t be a stranger, I'm always happy to help.” 

 

“Thank you professor,” Alarea nodded. “But I did have one question if you didn’t mind.” 

 

“Oh?” Professor Erina raised an eyebrow. “Of course, ask away.” 

 

“You mentioned earlier about acting quickly, but how do we know if the decisions we’re making are right? Especially when in the middle of combat.” 

 

“A good question,” Professor Erina’s smile widened at the question, a flash of admiration in her eyes. “But not one so simply answered. I remember vividly the first time I was faced with such a situation. When I was younger, back when I was still with my clan in the forest I found a young human soldier bleeding out on a riverbank, and I'm not ashamed to admit, I froze in place. No matter how much theory or training you go through nothing can prepare you for the first time the life or death of a man is placed in your hands. You may not like my answer, but it comes with experience.” 

 

Alarea nodded, and while the professor was right that she didn’t much like the answer she gave, she still understood, at least somewhat. 

 

“You may never need to use the things I teach in this class, and in many ways I hope that my students never do.” She placed her hand on Alarea’s shoulder. “But if there comes a time that you do, I hope that you can remember what I have taught you, and then you should end up just fine. Save a couple bumps and bruises.” 

 

“Did you manage to save that soldier in the forest?” Alarea questioned. 

 

“Hmm? Oh yes, I did. Although he left shortly after, humans aren’t much welcome in elvish lands after all.” The professor gazed out the window, her eyes seeming to drift into the distant memory. “I always wondered if he made it out okay, but since that day I have never seen him again.” 

 

“I'm sure he turned out just fine,” Alarea couldn’t help but say as she noticed a trace of sadness flash briefly in the professor's eyes. 

 

“I'm sure he did,” she said, turning away from the window. “But did that answer your question?” 

 

“Perfectly Professor.” 

 

“Very good. Now run along before Miss. Coral decides to wander off and leaves you behind. The academy’s layout can be confusing for newcomers.” 

 

Alarea thanked the professor before taking her leave. The classroom was now empty, all its student’s already having made their way out. She exited through the same door she had came in, the corridor beyond bustling with activity as she joined the crowds leaving various other classrooms. 

 

“Where has she gone?” Alarea wondered as she looked up and down the long crowded corridor for her dormmate, and yet came up empty handed. “Guess the professor was right that she wanders off.. Can’t even see Edward or Sofia.” 

 

Without anything to go on she decided to simply ask if anyone had seen her, approaching one of her fellow students. “Hey, have you see-” 

 

“Haha, did you see that Frederick?” Before she could finish the man spoke out in a laugh, walking past her as if she wasn’t there. “That class C peasant actually just tried to talk to me!”

 

“What the fuck is their problem?” Alarea muttered as the pair continued to walk off down the corridor, loudly laughing that she had tried to approach them. 

 

“Class A pricks,” Edward appeared out of the crowd at her side. “Don't bother with them. They think they’re so much better just because they're in a different class than us.” 

 

Now that Edward brought it up she did see that every student had a small clip attached to their uniform’s lapel, even Edward had one reading ‘1C’. Alarea herself had yet to receive one, although she assumed she would get one when Coral brought her to the commissary. 

 

“Where did you guys go anyways?” Alarea question, not seeing Coral or Sofia. 

 

“Yeah sorry about that, the two were here but then decided to go to wait outside in our usual spot,” Edward began.” Left me behind to take you there but I got distracted talking with someone else. Sorry about that.” 

 

“Aye no worries,” Alarea didn’t mind, she and the professor had been talking for a while, not long by any means but a good five minutes anyways. “You said they’re outside?” 

 

“Yeah,” Edward led her off through the academy. “We have about thirty minutes before our next class so we usually just go out to the field, there's a couple benches under a tree that we usually sit at.” 

 

“Sounds nice,” she said as the pair made their way down a series of stars before making their way out the back of the building into the rear of the academy grounds. Compared to the large open grass out front, the back was more akin to a large garden, a maze of twisting paths cutting through hedgerows and flowerbeds. 

 

Edward led her towards a large tree, one of many that scattered the academy grounds providing much needed shade from the harsh summer sun up high in the sky. Coral and Sofia were already there, casually chatting as they sat on a small bench, their backs resting against the large face of the tree.  

 

“Hey,” Coral waved when she noticed their approach. “Took your time.” 

 

“It wasn’t that long,” Edward countered as he dropped down into a small patch of grass, lying down like a starfish in the cool shade. 

 

“You’ll get your uniform dirty again,” Sofia chastised only to have Edward wave her off. “Oh well, don't complain later then.” 

 

“So,” Coral began, drawing Alarea’s attention back as she took a seat on a different bench under the tree. “Tell us about yourself. Where are you from?” 

 

“I grew up in Cila, never really been outside of its city walls until now.” Cila was one of the seven major city states that made up the Southern Union, the nation forming fairly recently to balance out the growing powers of Eagle Kingdom and Aurora Valley. 

 

“Oh? I never been, what's it like?”

 

“It's built on the coast, its waters crystal clear and fields golden with wheat.” 

 

“Damn, trying to get me to travel to Cila? Own an inn or something?” 

 

“Haha no..” Alarea rubbed her neck. “I’ve just spent my whole life there so it's grown on me you know?” 

 

“Don't worry I get it,” Sofia spoke up. “I feel the same way about my hometown Laupris.” 

 

“Can't say the same,” Coral began. “I’ve lived in Karaeth my whole life, but can't say I feel any special way about it. But anyway, enough about me.” She shook her head “So you're from Cila then? Is your family from there? You never did say what your last name was.” 

 

“Uhh right.. It's..” Alarea tried her best to act natural as she searched for a fake name, not wanting to give out her first in case the news of her arrival got back to her father. She should be safe in the school, however he could still pressure the academy by petitioning for her expulsion. “Alex. Alarea Alex.” 

 

The three students stared back at her with blank faces. 

 

“Alex?” Coral questioned. “Your last name is Alex? Alarea Alex? What a weird name.” 

 

“Yeah.. ha.. That's why I don't like sharing it..” 

 

“Well I think it's nice,” Sofia spoke out in her defence, although Alarea could tell she was only doing it to be nice. Still it was appreciated.

1