Volume 04 Chapter 19
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Both of you, create a clear line of sight for Erlaina to shoot!!"

 

The instructor Aid seemed to know I was about to shoot. He instructed Sid and Miharu to open up a line of sight, and both nodded, stepping back as directed.

 

"First, stop its movements!!"

 

With that thought, I squeezed the trigger. Almost simultaneously with the deafening explosion and the tremendous impact rushing through both arms, the fired projectile hit the monster's body. It seemed to stagger for just a moment!

 

"It hit!! As expected of the M500's rounds, the stopping power to halt that monster's leg is incredible. It gives me the shivers to think about being on the receiving end, though."

 

"Gaaaaaaahhhh!!?"

 

Perhaps I had triggered the monster's instincts. It bared its teeth, lifting the soldier it held in its left hand upward, aiming as if it were about to strike.

 

Hey hey hey!! Is it going to throw again? This is no joke!

 

"Let it be!!"

 

Instructor Aid swiftly slashed the creature's body with his sword, then immediately distanced himself to avoid retaliation. However, the monster, upon turning its face towards Instructor Aid, was promptly struck in the side by Sid from behind, aiming for its ribcage with a right fist. Yet, judging by the monster's expression, it seemed unaffected.

 

"Tch!"

 

Sid struck the back of its head with a left fist, and the monster, annoyed, swung its held item as if to say, "How irritating!!"

 

Ducking to avoid the attack, Sid leaped backward, creating distance and running towards Instructor Aid.

 

"That guy doesn't even flinch from taking my punches. It's as Miharu described, a real monster."

 

"Yeah, I sliced it with my sword, but it only went shallow. This is a tough nut to crack. So..."

 

"Yeah, we have to rely on Erlaina's powerful weapon. To do that, we need to weaken it with as many attacks as possible now!"

 

"S-shi-shoooooooot!! Help Miharu!!"

 

Miharu-chan, who had been attracting the monster's attention—or rather, being chased by it—was running around, crying and screaming. That would be a more accurate description.

 

"What the hell is that thing doing... I'll help you, so just keep running!"

 

"No! Miharu-chan, keep running just like that!"

 

Aiming for the monster, I pulled the trigger to fire the second bullet, but the aim went astray. Damn, I messed up!

 

Realigning the aim and firing the S&W M500 again, this time the projectile hit the monster's side abdomen, causing it to lean forward almost involuntarily.

 

Chance!!

 

"Everyone, move away from the monster! I'm going to shoot the Panzerfaust!"

 

Holstering the S&W M500, I slung the Panzerfaust 3 on my back, carried it on my shoulder, and knelt on my right knee, taking a kneeling position. I aimed at the monster's feet.

 

Blast away!!

 

Pulling the trigger of the Panzerfaust 3, there was a sound like "Pashuuu!?" as the projectile was launched. Almost simultaneously, the targeted area exploded, and the rising dust obscured the monster from view.

 

The blast reached us; it seems the distance was too close. Still, I must have dealt a fatal blow by hitting its feet.

 

"We did it! I've reassessed you!"

 

Miharu-chan, who had approached, started hitting my shoulder enthusiastically. To be honest, it hurts more than expected, but I need to say something important.

 

"...No, that monster is still alive."

Volume 04 Chapter 19

 

"What nonsense are you talking! No matter how monstrous it is, there's no way it could survive such a massive explosion!"

 

"Michiko, there's a saying my mentor taught me. Don't speculate whether you've defeated the enemy; you must confirm with your own eyes,"

 

"Oh, come on, that's ridiculous."

 

"No, Michiko-chan, it's dangerous to act based solely on speculation. Stay on guard until you see its form."

 

"Ugh... Alright, mentor."

 

Well, I understand why Michiko-chan would say that after witnessing the power of Panzerfaust 3, but with the enemy clearly marked on the radar, it's evident that it's still alive.

 

Whether it's on the brink of collapse from fatal wounds or standing unscathed... The former would be more preferable for us.

 

"I can see it now."

 

From amidst the dust, the figure of the monster could be seen lying on the ground with its left hand and both legs missing. I was convinced that I had dealt a fatal blow to the monster.

 

"Alright! I killed it!!"

 

"No, it's still alive, so we need to finish it off."

 

I wanted to load the Panzerfaust 3's warhead, but due to the previous attack, there was no time to carry it. I had no choice but to purchase and install a new warhead.

 

"Charge!! Follow meeeee!!!"

 

"Yeeaaaahhh!!!"

 

"Don't fall behind those guys, let's keep going too!!"

 

"Wooooohhh!!!"

 

What in the world?! I thought as I looked up, only to see my fellow adventurers, who had been mere spectators until now, running ahead!

 

"Wait! Hold on a second!!"

 

This situation is bad; if they all charge in at that number...

 

"Erlina, we'll leave the rest to them."

 

"But... I think it's better to stop them."

 

Seeing them surrounding the monster and poking it with swords and spears... it's not just lacking in elegance, it's downright dangerous.

 

"What a nuisance! If Michiko and the others fought, they'd just steal the credit!"

 

"No, Michiko, instead of calling it stealing credit, it's more accurate to say that they're trying to capitalize on the fact that they also cooperated in defeating the monster."

 

"Either way, it's not fair! Hey, mentor, if Michiko and the others don't go, they'll steal the credit!"

 

"You'll get your reward, Michiko, don't worry."

 

"But... even though Michiko and the others worked hard to corner it..."

 

"Well... I get it. I can understand your feelings."

 

Sid-san, you didn't say, "You were just crying and running away," to Michiko-chan.

 

Taking my gaze off Michiko-chan and looking towards the monster to assess the situation, I saw that unlike before, they were now coordinating and gradually cornering the monster.

 

Since the monster was as good as dying anyway, it seems safe to leave it to them.

Volume 04 Chapter 19

 

"I understand your dissatisfaction, but rest assured, we'll handle the fact-checking and distribution of funds properly on our end."

 

"Huh!? Are you saying there's a difference in the amount of money for these emergency quests?"

 

"Yeah... You didn't know, huh? Simply put, for emergency quests, everyone gets a participation reward just for joining. Then, depending on your performance, you can receive additional rewards."

 

"Wow... So, the person who performs the best gets more additional rewards, while those who don't perform at all only get the participation reward. Is that right?"

 

"Exactly. Also, if you're participating as a team, instead of giving additional rewards to individuals, they're given to the team as a whole. So, although the individual reward might be slightly lower compared to solo participation, you'll get more quest points. Therefore, you need to consider whether to go as a team or solo based on the level of danger in the emergency quest."

 

"I see."

 

"Also, be careful. If you try to escape or do something strange, the penalties are heavier than regular quests."

 

"Yes, thank you for explaining! ...Huh?"

 

Doesn't something seem off over there? It feels like the sounds of roars and shouts have turned into screams...

 

"Huh!?"

 

All the adventurers who were just surrounding and lynching the monster are now strangely running around in panic. And among them, what caught my eye was the sight of a person floating helplessly in the air.

0