Chapter 13: The Town of Flowers (3) 
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13:

The Town of Flowers (3) 

 

Izuchi’s purple eyes blinked twice. Her hair recoiled backwards as if hit by the wind’s whiplash, her lips opened for a whisper. “Stealing?!”

The reply came in kind. “How else do you expect us to make some quick cash?”

People, few and far between, walked the stoney streets of the town. Yet it remained quiet enough where every word spoken in the street could be heard if one was paying attention.

“Oh, I don’t know- Maybe working for it, you moron?!” The fire-haired girl’s reply was somehow both loud, but subdued, perhaps not unlike sunlight on a summer morning. 

Only a taste, in case Taccilas wasn’t careful.

“Working takes time, and it might not get us bang for our buck, but my plan is quick.”

“It’s wrong and you could get us in trouble!”

“Listen, I don’t know how things worked in your Ae-lliree-nay-”

“Illeryna!”

“Yeah, that, whatever, where I come from, this is the best and easiest way to get what you want.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea here.”

“Why not?”

“You could get us in big trouble! You could get Mitali in trouble!”

“That’ll only happen if we get caught.”

“Yeah? And what will you do if you get caught, huh? For fuck’s sake, think before you act.” Izuchi’s hands were back at her waist.

“I do think! I’ve been thinking! See that building over there? Yeah, that one. One of the windows facing the alley is open, it looks like it leads to an office room or something” Taccilas sneakily gestured to a two-floor copper-colored brick building, Izuchi observed it as he spoke.

“That window is on the second floor, how exactly are you gonna get there?”

“We’ll figure something out.”

Silence struck between them, Izuchi at her wit’s end. “...Do as you wish, I don’t care anymore. But enough with that we nonsense, you’re on your own.  If you get caught, it’s your and Mitali’s problem.”

“Watch me, I’ll come back with soooooo much coin that you’ll wish you had come with me!” And so Taccilas walked off, although he did so in the opposite direction to the building they were referencing, trying to avoid detection by being so obvious with his approach.

“Break a leg.” Scoffed Izuchi, her weight now resting against the walls of the white building.

The princess turned her hollow purple gaze on the copper-colored building. Many ornate windows lined the front wall of the establishment, a similarly ornate wooden frame surrounded the double doors that led into it. Frame that at the top took shape like a bee with fins for wings.

There was also a name written in bright white.

The Sea Bee.

With long strides, Izuchi took off towards the establishment.

 

A man stood behind a bar counter, one made of a stone colored like caramel. Once, he had seen a child try to eat his counter due to its color, but unsurprisingly his daring endeavor failed. 

The man was using a wet, white towel to wipe the counter until shine came off of it. Currently, there was nothing on it, but during work hours, there would be a number of bottles, plates, charms, and blessings placed on top of it. 

Shelves upon shelves were behind him, the space between them and the counter enough for even his bulky frame to fit. The shelves themselves boasted a variety of bottles, jars, and tools to their wooden name, though the man wished to fill out the little space left at each end.

On one corner, there was a piano. Though no one had used it in a long time, the man made a point of keeping its wooden surface free of dust. No one, not even himself, had played it in recent years, its keys maybe growing rusty and letting age overtake them. For now, he had to settle for the radio. Although, it at least brought him news on top of music.

The room was lined with stone tables, all of them colored the same as the counter, color that coincided with his skin tone as well. On top of the tables, there were wooden chairs flipped to occupy as little space as possible.

When the room was crammed with people for the festivals, the wooden walls would make the room feel claustrophobic, but right now, with no soul but him around, he really did get to appreciate how expansive it was. One could easily line up 13 of his tables side-by-side from wall to wall. 

Perhaps his favorite piece of this humble puzzle made of wood and caramel was the door. He contracted a foreign artisan to craft it. Each time he saw that door first thing in the morning, it still outstanded him how that master of the crafts had managed to embed within the door each and every single one of his imaginings, as if he was capable of reading his mind.

Truly, his ability must be unparalleled in the entire kingdom! 

The way the frame subtlety bent and curved, as if alluring the viewer to come and feel its touch-

The magnificent waves he had sculpted on the corners, like he had captured the very essence of the sea-

-And most importantly, a majestic, little sea bea extended its fins at the top. Guarding the entrance with the same ferocity and tenderness that only a sweet mother could hope to replicate.

Indeed, it was a marvelous-

The door was violently thrown open on both sides, a slash of wind rattling the glasses on the counter, threatening to topple them. 

A shockwave followed it the moment the doors impacted the walls, his curly black hair being blown back as if a typhoon had stepped in. 

Nearly a dozen different glass containers of various sizes and shapes were tempted with a fall- then he stomped on the floor and thanks to his gift, none took to the dip. 

Sunshine rushed in through the entrance, illuminating the room that had once been dimly lit. A girl cast a shadow upon it. Maroon were her sleeveless clothes, with golden and silver trim drawn by the pen of the Gods. Her hair resembled the horns and fangs a great demon of flame had once bore on the land.

“...We’re not open yet, miss.” Said the man. His voice was deep, yet somehow juvenile, like the late evenings of summer. It wasn’t exactly the start of a fine day he envisioned, but he had to keep a good face for a potential customer.

“This is important.” A voice like the scorching sun rushed through the room.

“Is it? Do I know you?” The man continued, putting his towel away.

“You should.” The girl walked further into the room, standing amongst the tables and chairs. She proudly puffed her chest out, and her hands went to her hips.

At this distance- where the sun no longer cast a shadow on her- the man could observe her intently, without squinting his aging eyes.  

It had been a long time since a new, young, pretty face had blessed him with her presence. It was as if the Gods deep below had sculpted her face with their own hands and bestowed her skin with a color not unlike the sand at dawn. 

Nose perfectly shaped, lips as tender as the morning sun.

“... Well, I don’t, but what can I get for you, missy?” Probed the man, picking up one of the glasses that hung over the counter. He hated to take his dark blue eyes off her, but he had to treat her with utmost excellency, for she was a visitor under his roof.

Even if she was an unwarranted one.

“You don’t? Ugh, what’s with people around here?!” Barked the girl, ignoring his question.

The man turned to look at her once again, for a moment, he thought the girl must’ve been a hallucination of his. Her figure too perfect, her curves too smooth, like the ocean itself had taken her in and molded her to entice men and women alike. 

He had been completely entranced. 

“I’m sure I’ll come to know you soon enough. And a great way to get to know someone is through their tastes, so what will it be?” As he spoke, he washed the glass in a sink, cleaning his rough hands in the meantime as well.

“I don’t need whatever you’re selling, old man!” Her hands smashed down the counter, an echo rippling the scene.

The man sighed. The way he saw it, it wasn’t uncommon for outsiders to make bad guests, but he couldn’t find it within him to kick her out. “...Then, how may I help you?”

The girl stood on her toes and got as close to the man’s face as she could. 

They could practically feel each other’s breaths.

It had been far, far longer than he enjoyed since he last heard his own heart drumming like a thunderous storm.

Sounds nice.

But her next words shattered his little divagation.

“A boy is trying to rob you.”

0