1. Crisis
659 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the grim darkness of the far future, amidst a brutal war against the forces of Chaos, a desperate captain makes a final stand. Transformed into a cyborg by the Adeptus Mechanicus, he roars with mechanical rage, his prosthetic leg slamming against the console. His ship, battered and broken, teeters on the brink of annihilation.

Ignoring pleas and warnings, the captain sacrifices his crew, funneling all power into the engines. A maniacal grin twists his mechanical face as he screams a battle cry: "For the Emperor, for Mankind!" The ship, a blazing comet, charges towards the enemy, a desperate attempt at a glorious martyrdom.

But fate is cruel. Luck offers no solace. The enemy unleashes a devastating barrage, piercing the hull and igniting the volatile plasma core. The once mighty vessel explodes, shattering into a fiery tomb for the over ten thousand souls aboard.

Their sacrifice, a mere flicker in the vast conflagration of war. Thousands of ships clash in a brutal ballet of destruction, their weapons painting the void with streaks of deadly light. The fate of an entire planet, Macragge, hangs in the balance.

Desperate counteroffensives by the Imperial fleet struggle to reclaim orbital dominance, a lifeline for their beleaguered ground forces. Failure is unthinkable. Should they fall, the doom of humanity draws closer, a final knell in the symphony of war. Cities on Macragge burn, consumed by the fires of war, a grim harbinger of potential extinction for the tenacious human race.

Macragge crumbles beneath the relentless assault of Chaos. Low-earth orbit lost, artillery positions silenced, and tank columns obliterated, the defenders face their final stand. 

In the skies, a desperate struggle for air supremacy unfolds. Human fighters dart and weave, dodging the menacing forms of demonic vehicles. On the ground, the mighty Legionnaires, dispatched to defend the sacred Sanctuary, fall one by one.

Only Macragge's Janissaries, a resilient citizen militia, remain to shield the city and its terrified populace. Behind barricades hastily built by wounded Guardsmen, civilians huddle in fear. Men and women, young and old, have been drawn into the whirlwind of war, praying for the Emperor's benevolent gaze and fearing the horrors of the Warp awaiting them in death.

Meanwhile, within the Sanctuary, the war reaches its most brutal peak. Here, the fate of not just Macragge, but perhaps the entire galaxy, hangs in the balance. Chaos Champions, clad in black armor reeking of bloodlust, carve a bloody swathe through the defenders. Their chain-swords whir, leaving a trail of severed limbs and screams of anguish in their wake.

Despite the overwhelming odds, hope flickers in the hearts of the defenders. Invoking the Emperor's name, they hurl themselves into the fray, laser guns blazing, determined to protect their homes and families. Their courage burns bright against the tide of Chaos, a testament to the tenacity of the human spirit.

Yet, the battle grinds on, relentless and brutal. Inside the Sanctuary, the remaining defenders, comprised of Ultramarines, Dark Templars, Deathwatch Veterans, and Sisters of Battle, fight with their backs against the wall. Saint Celestine herself, the warrior-saint, bears the wounds of war. Her once pristine white wings lie broken, blood staining her battered armor. Her fellow Sisters fall one by one, consumed by the fires of war or torn apart by the claws of daemons.

Undeterred, Celestine raises a bloodied hand, her voice choked with pain but resolute, repeating a silent prayer for strength and victory. She will fight, even at the cost of her own life, to uphold the Emperor's light and defend humanity from the encroaching darkness. 

With a burst of golden light, the very essence of the Emperor's blessing, she blasts back countless demons, but the tide continues to surge.

Across the battlefield, Calgar, Master of the Ultramarines, cuts a swathe of destruction, his blue armor a beacon in the chaos. But his arsenal dwindles, his bombs spent, his blade shattered, leaving only a single power fist. Before him, a brother falls, blasted into oblivion by a Chaos melta cannon, the stench of burned flesh hanging heavy in the air.

A primal roar escapes Calgar's throat, raw grief and fury mingling. He charges into the fray, fist flying, tearing apart a Chaos Warrior with a single blow. His gaze falls upon the dais, where Techpriest Cawl and his alien allies continue their desperate work.

Despair gnaws at Calgar's heart. Could they not revive their Primarch, the legendary father of the Ultramarines? Is this the doomed end of their mission?

Ten thousand years after the Emperor first ascended the Golden Throne, Abaddon, the fallen Warmaster, has unleashed his thirteenth Black Crusade. With the Blackstone Fortress, he shattered the Cadia Gate, unleashing the unfettered chaos of the Great Rift upon the galaxy.

An age of decay has begun. The rift scars the very fabric of reality, spewing forth an unending tide of monstrous entities, leaving nothing but death and devastation in their wake. The nightmares of the past resurface across countless worlds, bringing an endless reign of terror and destruction.

The power to unmake worlds gathers on a scale never before witnessed. No corner of the galaxy remains untouched by the encroaching doom. Worlds fall, billions perish under the onslaught of daemons and Chaos spawn. Humanity faces its greatest challenge yet. Failure ensures an eternity of darkness for the entire galaxy.

The ultimate clash, the final stand between good and evil, order and chaos, approaches. This war will rend the stars asunder, tearing apart everything humanity holds dear. Even the most prescient psykers see only despair - a dark and cruel future offering no hope for mankind.

The world teeters on the brink of despair, humanity poised to become mere playthings for the malevolent gods. The ground trembles with each deafening blow, the Sanctuary assaulted anew. A fiery rain descends as the second wave of Chaos drop pods plummet onto the besieged fortress.

These pods, disgorging hundreds of traitorous fighters with an unearthly shriek, serve as the Chaos commander's ultimate gambit – a one-way ticket to the battlefield, utterly shattering the loyalists' defenses. Despair grips the hearts of the defenders.

Yet, even amidst the encroaching darkness, a final battle cry rings out: "For humanity, for the Emperor!" Facing their demise with steely resolve, the loyalists vow to take as many traitors with them as they can.

As the final, desperate clash between the two sides is about to commence, a singular, clear bell tolls. A melodic chime emanates from the automated containment unit, as its dome unfolds like a giant piranha flower.

A towering figure emerges, casting a heavy shadow over the battlefield. The last glimmer of hope for mankind, the Primarch Guilliman, has awakened from his ten-thousand-year slumber. He, the thirteenth son of the Emperor, the embodiment of loyalty, hope, and benevolence, stands before the warring factions, his eyes filled with bewilderment and confusion.

"Isn't he playing games?" the thought flashes through his mind. "How did I get here?"

A torrent of memories washes over him, instantly bringing clarity to the dire situation. But before he can react, a cacophony of sounds assaults him – the thundering hooves of a hundred thousand charging horses.

"Damn it all!" he curses under his breath.

22