7. Guilliman, Unbound by Loss
359 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guilliman's voice, though low, resonated with an otherworldly power. It pierced through the cheering crowd, igniting their fervor even further.

Ragged devotees of the Imperial Cult, their faith bordering on fanaticism, fell to their knees. Psalms praising the Emperor erupted from their lips, a chorus of unwavering belief.

The scene was one of raw devotion. Believers, tears streaming down their faces, lashed themselves with electrified whips, their pain a twisted offering to their divine savior.

Mothers held aloft their infants, their voices thick with emotion as they implored their children to remember the figure clad in azure power armor – Guilliman, the Emperor's son returned.

A single voice, lost at first, broke the dam. "Long live the Emperor! Long live Guilliman!" The chant spread like wildfire, engulfing the throng in a wave of fervent loyalty. Soldiers and civilians alike roared their approval, their voices a unified tide of worship.

Witnessing the outpouring of faith, Guilliman felt a surge course through him. The Dominance trait, fueled by human belief, pulsed with renewed energy. It was as if an invisible force poured into his very being, amplifying his strength.

The feeling was intoxicating. If the blessings of a single star system could elevate him to such heights, what power could he command with the unwavering faith of the entire Imperium?

A spark of dark amusement flickered within Guilliman. Perhaps battling the Chaos Gods wouldn't be so tedious after all.

He envisioned himself conquering these dark entities one by one – a swift punch to Khorne's blood-crazed face, a crippling kick to Slaanesh's hedonistic form.

Domination. That was the goal. Domination of the world, the situation, the entire Warhammer universe, and perhaps even the multiverse itself. A glorious return as the undisputed God of War.

The battle had ended. Escorted by the stoic Ultramarines, Guilliman ventured into the heart of Macragge's ravaged city. Crowds lined the streets, their faces etched with a mixture of exhaustion and euphoria.

The wrecked starport billowed black smoke, a stark reminder of the recent conflict. Yet, amidst the destruction, landing craft continued to disgorge a constant stream of humanity, all eager to catch a glimpse of their savior.

Their eyes were red-rimmed, brimming with an almost fanatical devotion. A single glance from Guilliman sent them into near-hysterics, their voices hoarse from chanting his name. He saw himself reflected in their eyes - a god amongst mortals.

Beside him walked Belisarius Cawl, the enigmatic Great Sage of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Years of tireless labor spent scouring the galaxy for the technology necessary for Guilliman's resurrection had finally borne fruit.

This was the dawn of a new era, and Cawl reveled in its promise. The Imperium, ravaged by the Great Rift, might lie fractured, countless worlds plunged into darkness, but with Guilliman at its helm, hope bloomed anew.

Calgar, Master of the Ultramarines, his cybernetic enhancements barely containing his excitement, marched alongside Guilliman. The return of their Primarch, their gene-father, filled him and his brothers with an unbridled joy.

Others followed, their faces mirroring the general elation. Celestine, the Living Saint, Amariqi, and their companions shared in the triumph.

This wasn't just a victory over an invading force; it was the return of a legend, a beacon of hope in a universe teetering on the brink of oblivion.

Guilliman, surrounded by his retinue, strode towards the heart of the city, his gaze sweeping across the ancient structures, his mind already formulating the strategies necessary to reclaim the Imperium from the clutches of Chaos.

Behind the thunderous cheers of the crowd lay the shattered remnants of Macragge. This victory had come at a heavy price. Countless civilians, victims of the Chaos army's brutality, lay lifeless amidst the ruins, awaiting a dignified burial.

Fearless Imperial defenders, their sacrifices etched on their faces, lay cold in the trenches. Broken artillery and tanks, still smoldering and sparking, seemed to mourn the loss of life.

Countless buildings, once testaments to human artistry, had succumbed to the raging inferno unleashed by the Chaos forces. Macragge had claimed victory, but its scars ran deep.

The euphoria of the crowd couldn't entirely suppress the grief that would inevitably resurface. The war with Chaos was far from over. The weight of this realization dampened Guilliman's earlier exhilaration about facing ten enemies at once.

He understood that countless lives would be lost in the fight for mankind's survival. Every triumph would be paid for in the ashes of fallen heroes.

"I pray this all has a purpose," Guilliman thought, steeling his resolve.

Surrounded by his retinue, he walked through the cheering crowd, returning to the makeshift sanctuary. The corpses, rubble, and even the twisted wreckage of demonic war machines had been cleared and hauled away.

Within the sanctuary, high-ranking members of the battle group, including Cawl the Great Sage and Saint Celestine, paid their respects to Guilliman.

Their reports painted a grim picture of the current state of the Imperium. Though mentally prepared for the worst, Guilliman's heart sank at their words.

The Cadian Gate, the Imperium's most formidable defense, had fallen. A massive warp rift had split the galaxy, allowing countless demons to spill into the human worlds, inflicting unspeakable casualties. No world was untouched, ravaged by demons, mutants, or traitorous forces.

The once-glorious Imperium had strayed far from the Emperor's and the Primarchs' vision. It had become the very thing they had fought against – a bloated, bureaucratic behemoth ruled by fear, ignorance, and cruelty.

The past held a stark contrast. The Emperor and the Primarchs had ushered in a golden age, an era brimming with hope and triumph. Humanity had emerged from darkness, embracing science and reason.

The Imperial Expeditionary Fleet had carried the torch of the Emperor to every corner of the galaxy. Those were times of progress and optimism.

After hearing Celestine, Calgar, and the others speak, Guilliman dismissed them, seeking a moment of solitude. He stood before a shattered window, watching the procession of mourners carrying away the dead. A heavy sigh escaped his lips.

"Horus," he whispered, a note of bitterness in his voice, "you truly are beyond forgiveness."

The consequences of Horus' rebellion still reverberated after ten thousand years. Abaddon, his former First Captain and most loyal follower, had ascended as the warlord of the Chaos Gods, launching a relentless campaign against the Imperium.

Ten thousand years of war and suffering had eroded the Imperium's rationality and hope. It had morphed into a lumbering, fear-driven carcass of its former self.

Guilliman, an idealist at heart, was perhaps the most hopeful of the Primarchs. He envisioned a brighter future, unlike the grim reality before him. The memories of his past weighed heavily on his soul, adding to the melancholy.

Humanity had faced a relentless onslaught for ten millennia. Traitors and demons preyed upon them while other hostile forces lurked beyond the galaxy. The Imperium was in a far worse state than during the Great Crusade, a far cry from its golden age.

"A new plan is needed," Guilliman thought grimly. Leading the Imperium to victory against Chaos wasn't just for humanity; it was for his own survival. The Chaos Gods had their eyes fixed on the Primarch. Failure would mean his soul eternally damned, tortured for an eternity.

He couldn't afford to lose. The consequences of defeat were too dire to contemplate.

14