13. Reform
295 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guilliman's speech ended with a heavy silence. He observed the assembled leaders, their faces etched with contemplation. His words had laid the groundwork; the choice to join or oppose him was theirs.

This reform was a seismic shift for the Imperium. It demanded loyalty and unwavering obedience to ensure his vision wouldn't be twisted or exploited by Chaos. 

Undoubtedly, resistance would be fierce. The relinquishing of power was a bitter pill to swallow. 

Even on Terra, before humanity reached for the stars, careerists waged brutal wars for control of mere millions of square kilometers. In the vast expanse of the Imperium, such ambition would only be amplified.

Ziller, ever the pragmatist, made the first move. He rose and bowed. 

"The House Hitler pledges its loyalty, esteemed Regent. We swear allegiance here and now. Our loyalty to you will burn ever bright, like the sun of Terra."

With a leader emerging, a domino effect ensued. Planetary governors rose one by one, offering their salutes.

"House Valens stands with you."

"House Hitler pledges its service."

One by one, they knelt, robotic limbs and flesh alike touching the cold floor in a display of submission. 

Witnessing this, several Rogue Traders followed suit, their initial shock replaced by calculated pragmatism.

"The William Trade Consortium pledges to uphold your will."

"The Nancy Trade Consortium shall faithfully implement your decrees."

But the room remained divided. Half the people had chosen submission, kneeling on the cold floor. The remaining half, their faces grim, exchanged troubled glances. 

Some even shifted their hands towards the holstered weapons at their waists, eyes scanning the room for any sign of blue-clad Ultramarines emerging to unleash their power axes. 

This was serious business. Guilliman's words had crossed a significant line, implicitly challenging Terra's control over the Imperium. Such a move could be construed as a form of rebellion in Terra's eyes.

A faint smile touched Guilliman's lips as he regarded the wary holdouts. "Fear not. Your suspicions are astute. My primary concern lies in salvaging this dying empire, not embroiling myself in power struggles..."

"...Ten thousand years have seen the Imperium veer far from my father's vision. It falls upon me to correct its course with all haste."

"Those who have chosen not to kneel will be excused for now. I offer you time and space for myself and my loyal followers to discuss the upcoming reforms. Rest assured, I hold no malice for those who value their autonomy. There is no room for tyranny in my vision."

With a gesture of courtesy, Guilliman dismissed those who remained unbowed. Only those who had knelt remained, ready to engage in the crucial discussions that would shape the future of the Imperium.

"Rise, everyone," he said, his voice warm. "I commend your loyalty. Please, find a seat and let us begin."

The sheer immensity of the human empire, spanning tens of thousands of light-years, dwarfed any empire humanity could ever imagine.

 Coupled with inefficient navigation and communication technologies, reform became a daunting and delicate task.

Guilliman envisioned a gradual rollout of reforms, spreading alongside the new technology entrusted to him by Cawdor. 

This subtle approach aimed to reshape the empire over a century or two. Every policy change would be meticulously crafted to minimize negative repercussions.

For those officials who refused to submit, their positions wouldn't be immediately usurped. Instead, Guilliman planned a more subtle strategy. 

He likened it to boiling a frog – slowly stripping them of their power and influence, their value diminishing like a resource being steadily depleted.

As the remaining leaders settled into their seats, Guilliman offered a warm smile to ease any lingering tension.

 "I am truly grateful for your willingness to stay and assist me in this seemingly ambitious undertaking. Remember, everything we do is to ensure our species' continued existence in this cruel universe. We strive to preserve the empire my father built, to prevent it from crumbling into ashes under the relentless tide of Chaos."

A chorus of affirmations echoed through the chamber.

"We have no ill intentions, Regent."

"Your concerns are unfounded, Regent. We are here to support your vision."

"Regardless of any reservations, your leadership is invaluable. The state of many planets during my slumber was disheartening. The empire abandoned them entirely, leaving them to flounder in ignorance and destitution."

"They were forced to offer the only things they possessed, their very lives, for a bare minimum existence. This blatantly disregards the equal value of every human life, a core principle my father cherished. "

"This is not a betrayal, but rather a consequence of war and unchecked ambition. Some wallow in abundance – fresh food, pristine water, even personal gardens with hordes of servants – while others have to scavenge for scraps in toxic wastelands."

"Such disparity makes no sense! People will only fight for what they deem worth protecting. If they have nothing, if their lives are steeped in abject misery, what incentive do they have to reject the false promises of Chaos?"

Guilliman harbored no reservations in expressing his anger towards the Empire's current state. Had anyone else voiced such sentiments, swift assassination or a traitor's brand would have been their fate. 

The state religion relentlessly preached obedience to the Imperium and unwavering faith in the Emperor. Guilliman's words, uttered by anyone else, would have ensured their disappearance by the next day.

Ziller and the remaining leaders shifted uncomfortably in their seats. They couldn't help but wonder if a summary execution was on the agenda upon concluding the meeting.

Fearing for their lives, the remaining leaders remained silent, their role reduced to attentive listeners.

"I will issue an official decree," Guilliman declared.

 "A new wealth distribution system will be implemented first within Ultramar, expanding gradually across the Imperium. Additionally, I will allocate funds for the establishment of specialized educational institutions."

"Every world will enforce compulsory education, encouraging children to attend and embrace enlightened Imperial ideals. Any organization tainted by Chaos will be eradicated from the root."

He elaborated on his reform plans one by one, ensuring those present documented everything. These ideas would form the bedrock of the coming reforms.

Guilliman was well aware of the Imperium's fractured state. The Great Crusade, ten millennia ago, had allowed planetary administrators to maintain their existing systems as long as they promoted the Imperial truth and paid taxes.

 This had resulted in a grotesquely uneven empire, with planets embracing everything from socialist systems to authoritarian regimes and even slavery.

The Emperor's critical injuries and subsequent confinement to the Golden Throne, coupled with the Primarchs' disappearance in the ensuing wars, had left the Terra High Lords Council unwilling or unable to enact meaningful reforms.

 As long as planetary leaders met their tax obligations, their corrupt systems were allowed to persist.

The Terra leadership, once a functional body, had become a stagnant entity. Meetings were a battleground for self-serving interests, progress agonizingly slow, bordering on insanity. 

The powerful families of Terra were laser-focused on securing positions for their own within Terra's governing bodies – the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Administratum – to solidify their influence.

 Guilliman had no time for political games when facing the existential threat of Chaos. He yearned for absolute control, fearing a treacherous stab in the back.

After several hours of discussion culminating in a comprehensive reform plan, Guilliman dismissed the gathering.

 He authorized the remaining leaders to form a new parliament-like body with the purpose of self-governance and further refining the reform proposals.

With the Rogue Traders and planetary governors gone, Guilliman rubbed his tired eyes. Sleep had been a luxury since his awakening. 

He had repelled the Chaos forces, taken stock of the empire's dire state, and now engaged in these lengthy meetings to appease different factions and make necessary arrangements.

Exhaling deeply, he stretched his fingers. A soft electronic chime alerted him. It was Sicarius, Captain of the Second Company of the Ultramarines, on the communicator.

"My Lord," the Captain's voice resonated, "other battlegroups, upon hearing news of your recovery, are eager for an audience."

12