16. A Leader by Example
227 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cleansing of Ultramar was about to begin. Countless war engines roared to life amidst the rhythmic chants of the Adeptus Mechanicus priests, their colossal forms leaving fiery trails as they launched from the starport and plunged into the starry abyss.

One by one, battleships flickered to life as their Geller Fields activated, casting a faint ethereal glow around their massive hulls. 

This crucial technology safeguarded Imperial vessels from the corrupting influence of the warp, shielding them from the clutches of the daemons lurking within.

Guilliman's bold declaration of war had reverberated through the warp, drawing the unwelcome attention of the Chaos Gods. 

They deemed it an insolent act for a Primarch to defy them, and their response was swift and brutal.

The warp churned with unimaginable fury, the celestial ocean erupting into a maelstrom of violence. Aetheric tides surged and roared, a tempest of destruction lashing out at the Imperial fleet. 

Arrogance coalesced into churning whirlpools, rage and desire formed a tempestuous storm, and despair morphed into treacherous straits teeming with hungry warp entities.

 These daemons hungered for any weakness to exploit, waiting to tear into the Imperial vessels.

Deep within the heart of each ship, bound Navigators lay submerged in nutrient solutions, their limbs and heads wired into the ship's intricate machinery. 

With their augmented third eyes, they strained to glimpse the currents of the warp, desperately seeking a safe passage for the fleet.

Navigators were a breed apart, their lineage stretching back millennia. When humanity first ventured into the vast expanse of space, these individuals emerged, possessing a unique sensitivity to the warp's energy. 

Their guidance was instrumental in navigating the treacherous currents of the Immaterium. After specialized training and augmentation, they became the Empire's indispensable navigators.

Each Navigator possessed a third eye, either cybernetically implanted or a natural mutation. This unique organ allowed them to perceive the warp's energy flow, chart their course, and most importantly, detect the faint beacon of the Astronomican. 

This celestial lighthouse, constructed by the Emperor during the Great Crusade and maintained by the Adeptus Astronomica, served as a vital navigational aid for Imperial vessels traversing the warp.

The voyage was fraught with danger. Even Guilliman, despite his unwavering resolve, felt a tremor of apprehension as they braved the warp storm.

 The Astronomican's light, once a guiding brilliance, had become a mere flicker, forcing the Navigators to exert far greater effort to discern their path. 

The Imperial fleet could not sustain prolonged travel within the warp and was forced to make precarious jumps into realspace, seeking temporary refuge before venturing back into the swirling chaos.

Thankfully, the tireless ministrations of the Adeptus Mechanicus ensured the Geller Fields held strong, protecting the fleet from the warp's insidious influence.

The absence of the Geller Field spelled certain doom for any human vessel venturing into the warp. Exposed to its raw energies, they would be like defenseless prey to the ever-present daemons.

Guilliman's brow furrowed as he studied the data slate in his hand. The warp storm was far more turbulent than he had anticipated. 

Their options were limited – either find a way to quell the storm's fury or bolster the Imperial ships' resilience against its onslaught.

 Failure to achieve either would render their fight against the Chaos Gods a futile gesture.

While daemons and traitors reveled in the chaotic embrace of the warp, the human empire bore the brunt of its capricious nature.

 The sheer difficulty of navigating these treacherous currents placed humanity at a significant disadvantage.

Guilliman's mind raced, searching for solutions. He needed resources, technology – anything that could enhance their navigation capabilities and guarantee their arrival at their destination.

A series of footsteps broke the silence. A young man, cloaked in a long robe and bearing the unsettling mark of milky white eyes, entered the chamber.

"Greetings, Lord Guilliman," the youth intoned, his voice respectful despite his blindness.

Guilliman acknowledged him, unfazed by the man's vacant eyes. Such blindness was a common trait among Astropaths, their sight replaced by a potent mental connection to the warp.

"Speak your mind, young one," Guilliman prompted, momentarily setting aside his contemplation.

"The warp storm presents a significant challenge, my Lord," the Astropath began. 

"Our reliance on the warp for interstellar communication and travel is undeniable. The vast distances between star systems, measured in light-years, render conventional communication methods obsolete."

He continued, elaborating on the role of Astropaths and the intricate web of communication that relied upon the warp. 

He explained the process of transforming information into psychic dreams, transmitted across the galaxy to other Astropaths. 

These dreams, not mere words, conveyed complex thoughts and ideas. The receiving Astropath then interpreted the dreams, deciphering the embedded information.

To ensure the integrity of these messages and prevent daemons from tampering, Star Language Fortresses employed Star Language Choirs. 

These choirs amplified the psychic transmissions, guaranteeing their successful reception across the vast expanse of the Imperium.

 All such fortresses and shipboard Astropaths fell under the purview of Terra's Astronomical Court, which also replenished depleted Astropath pools within these fortresses.

The Astropath concluded by explaining the Soul Binding Ritual, a crucial step in shaping an Astropath's abilities. 

He described the perilous journey to Terra, where selected psykers were cleansed by the Emperor's power. This ritual safeguarded their sanity, preventing them from succumbing to the corrupting whispers of the warp.

 However, the sheer power of the Emperor's presence often resulted in blindness, a consequence of a mere mortal's inability to directly perceive the Emperor's essence within the warp.

Kratz, the blind Astropath, recounted the distress message from the Sara Galaxy. Chaos forces, specifically Plague Marines, were wreaking havoc on the local defenders. 

Guilliman's brow furrowed momentarily at the mention of the Plague Marines, but quickly regained its composure.

"Let the fleet continue its course towards Konor," he instructed. "I will lead a smaller force to address this situation in Sara."

Kratz, ever concerned for Guilliman's safety, voiced his reservations.

 "My Lord, with all due respect, wouldn't it be wiser to delegate this task to a company commander? There's no need for you to expose yourself to unnecessary risk."

Guilliman offered a knowing smile. "Nowhere is entirely safe, Roshan," he said, using Kratz's birth name. 

"Danger is a Primarch's companion. The people of the Imperium need victories, even small ones, to bolster their spirits. A decisive blow against Chaos will serve as a beacon of hope, demonstrating that the tide is turning. Chaos is on the defensive, Roshan, desperate for victories to maintain control. They crave the reassurance that comes with conquest."

Kratz persisted, his loyalty driving his concern. "But my Lord, you are irreplaceable. Should you fall, who will guide the Imperium?"

Guilliman's gaze held a steely resolve. "I am no fragile relic, Roshan. I am a Primarch, forged for war and victory. My purpose is to lead the Imperium to triumph, not to languish on a pedestal. Our discussion ends here. Return to your post and keep me apprised of developments within the warp. I eagerly await your next report."

Kratz bowed his head in acceptance. He knew a Primarch's word was law. He could offer counsel, but ultimately, the decision rested with Guilliman.

 The Primarch's authority was absolute. With a heavy heart, Kratz left, locating Sicarius at the door and informing him of the Primarch's request for an audience.

Sicarius entered the chamber, ready to receive Guilliman's orders. The Primarch, a living legend, was about to embark on a mission, and Sicarius, ever the loyal warrior, was prepared to stand by his side.

 Together, they would face the foe and demonstrate to the Imperium the unwavering strength of their leadership.

12