Chapter 1
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Man, I keep posting the wrong file, sorry for that. This chapter should be the exact one on Royal Road

 

Beneath the oppressive weight of his sodden cloak, the figure shuffled through the ranks of the mounted knights. His face, obscured by a tattered hood, remained unseen.

At first they assumed that he was a wandering bum.

However, no such bum would wander a village with a necromancer present lest they are crazy enough to get themselves killed.

Not only that, there’s also the fact that the captain of their cavalry chatted with the bum so casually.

Knights and nobility do not mingle with the lower class.

Especially to bums.

To them it was an insult to their pride, a lowly beggar talking with a count would bring shame to their honorable families.

Yet there was something that unsettled them, the vice captain sensed it first.

As the bum curtly nodded to the knights as a sign of acknowledgement, the vice captain swallowed his own spit.

With a hasty response, the vice captain scooted to the side to give him space while the others followed suit.

Was it out of respect? The vice captain wasn’t so sure.

But that enigmatic aura of his made him cautious.

A fellow in shabby clothes so tattered that it looked like a bunch of rags hanging by its last threads yet being here on the outskirts and striking up conversations to nobles?

“Who was that fellow?” The vice captain whispered to his peers.

They all collectively drew a blank at first…

All of them thought, that fellow wasn’t a bum—

The knight in silver armor, Corden Silverwoods, their captain gestured to them to come.

“Men! We have been issued an order from the Clergy, they have requested our aid to deal with the aftermath of an Inquisitor’s mission.”

At his captain’s words, the vice captain had his inkling of suspicion confirmed.

The vice captain hurriedly looked back at the fellow, but he was long gone.

Only the barren dirt path was there.

 


 

The Royal Academy of Meridian is located in the center of the Kingdom.

It is said that those who wish to become professionals of different disciplines like theology, literature, sciences, arts, thaumaturgy and politics come there to make that a reality.

Royalty, nobles, and even commoners alike were all allowed to enroll to such a diverse and prestigious academy.

Yet there was a catch, out of all the applicants that enrolled, only a small margin was accepted.

And the reason for that is—

“I barely managed to pass…”

“The second half of the test was so confusing, how did her highness get a perfect score?”

—Their grueling entrance exam.

For one particular Inquisitor however, it was a stroke of luck that he even managed to take the test.

If not for a wandering merchant heading to the capital, Abel wouldn’t have even made it let alone take the test.

Oracle would’ve been pissed at him, thankfully lady luck was on his side.

Abel, now wearing a proper set of clothes, looked around as he ate his meal.

He reminisces at the events back at the village.

Still not getting over their deaths was becoming a problem to him, sure he had his fair share of seeing corpses and seeing people die but this time was different.

Maybe it was because of the culmination of all those tragedies that it finally hit him of how cruel the world was.

And the lack of support to defend their own people just showed the injustice the villagers had faced.

“Oh what a pleasant surprise!”

Abel turned to his side and gave the person a quick glance before returning to his meal.

“What? Not even a simple greeting? You wound me, oh dear Buster…” Giving him the stink eye, Abel clicked his tongue.

“What do you want?” The person seemed satisfied with his response, so she took a seat across from him.

“Excuse me! Can I get a stew and ale! Make sure to put it in this guys tab.”

Despite her beauty and flashy display of shamelessness, Abel couldn’t help but feel himself starting to tire.

Though he didn’t do anything other than sigh at her antics.

His handler for the mission he just finished was a wild one.

“Juniper, you have your own money. Please stop taking advantage of your own peers just for the sake of your own frugality…”

“To say that to a woman! Abel how could you! I thought you were a gentleman.”

“Stop being so dramatic.”

It was the kind of banter that Abel had to get used to, and he was annoyed that he got her instead of his close acquaintance.

He was sure that Oracle was messing with him when he first met her.

Abel would’ve traded an arm and a leg to get his close acquaintance as his handler rather than her.

“So, how did the mission go?”

“I gave you the report, why ask the same thing twice.”

She pouted at him.

“That’s not how you talk to a lady.”

Abel just looked at her in a deadpan, he was not going to sit here and just waste his time on meaningless small talk.

Just as he was about to stand, his handler put an envelope down at their table.

“Oracle has a new mission for you.”

A flicker of annoyance sparked in his eyes, "Another one already?" he muttered, his voice a low rumble.

Juniper grinned. "Don't be such a sourpuss, Buster! Think of it as an adventure.”

Abel took the envelope and hid it inside his coat.

Why the hell is Oracle giving him another mission on top of his current one?

Wasn’t infiltrating the academy and being a sleeper there already enough?

The clinking sound roused him out of his thoughts, a small bag laid on the table. “Here, from yours truly.”

He took the pouch and peeked inside.

Seeing the amount of money made him recoil a bit, he wasn’t the type to receive this much money…

A single platinum coin is enough to cover two whole semesters of tuition and living expenses.

What would he even spend the rest with?

He still has a modest amount of money left from his last mission.

His handler grinned at him, “So, your treat?” He could only look at her in mild disappointment.

Abel stood up and paid for his tab at the counter.

Just before he left the tavern, he tossed a single platinum coin to her.

“Knock yourself out.” She winked at him as thanks.

Abel just shook his head.

Tomorrow would be the orientation for debutants like him.

Being tardy on his first day is not good.

So he exited the bustling tavern, disappearing back into the anonymity of the city crowd.

Blending into the surroundings.

Like he always does.

 


 

“Now onto the next agenda, we have our highness—”

The opening speech for the orientation was boring as hell.

At first it was fine but when the speaker for some reason decided to drag it even further.

I just had a feeling that it was gonna be a long day.

Which resulted in me dozing off.

Even when I woke up, the speech was still ongoing.

“Look, isn’t that her highness?”

“Oh it is, she’s so pretty and gorgeous. I envy the man lucky enough to be her fiance.”

“From what I heard, her highness has still yet to have a partner.”

“If that’s the case, do you reckon I have a chance?”

“Not in this lifetime.”

“Bummer…”

Involuntarily eavesdropping on the two below me, their conversation mildly piqued my interest a bit.

Not because I find her highness attractive or anything, but because I was just a bit curious.

Topics about the Royal family was always a complicated matter, even the slightest mention on who is going to take the throne next would trigger a chaotic clamor of debacles.

Which is why I find it a bit intriguing.

Usually whenever a commoner becomes a knight or even a breadwinner for their family, no one really bats an eye that much unless he becomes an adventurer.

There’s a saying that goes, ‘If you want to make a name for yourself but you're just a mere commoner, then become an adventurer!’

It’s probably the only way for a commoner to have any sort of significance to a society ruled by nobles.

Speaking of which, whenever a noble brat without any effort whatsoever becomes a scholar or anything of that similar degree, gossip and rumors would spread like wildfire about that amazing feat.

Even if the person was unworthy of such…

Therefore one could conclude that the world is unfair for the commoners, that it favors nobles and royals–The higher class.

…Human beings are not created equally to one another.

As for me, I guess I’m just lucky enough that I was selected to be an Inquisitor.

Seeing her highness walk off the stage after delivering her speech as the top scorer for the admission exam, a round of applause reverberated throughout the auditorium.

I slowly got off my seat to leave.

“Hey! The orientation has yet finished! Where are you going?” A girl with pigtails wearing a pair of glasses noticed my attempt.

I simply looked at her with a serious expression.

“Excuse me for this, nature calls.” Her face reddened at that revelation.

“O-oh, never mind then.” She looked away in embarrassment.

Thus my escapade went as expected.

 


 

After a couple of hours from doing what I usually do, mainly scouting out the entire academy and mapping it out at the back of my head.

I was now at the bulletin board, trying to figure out what class I was in and what the schedule for that was.

As I scanned the lists of names and classes, I happened to spot a very familiar face.

“Oh look Ezra, we’re in the same class.” Though the other was a complete stranger to me.

“Is that so?” She brushes her bangs to the side as she takes a closer look at the list besides me.

Ezra Millheart.

There’s no way I wouldn’t recognize her, the current Saintess of the Holy Church and someone that I used to know.

Suddenly she turned to her side, looking at me with her brows raised.

“Umm, excuse me but is there something you need?”

Was I that obvious?

“I apologize for making you uncomfortable, it is just that, you look quite familiar.”

It’s good that she didn’t recognize me.

“Oh, I get that a lot. Anyways, it is nice to meet you, I am Ezra Millheart, the current Saintess of the Holy Church.”

Her bright and friendly nature was still the same back when she was just an apprentice.

…You never changed, Ezra.

As much as I would like to talk with you and catch up on things, my mission comes first.

Acting surprised, I scratch my head sheepishly.

“Ah! So you are the Saintess, I apologize for not recognizing you immediately,” Clearing my throat, I then continue on my charade, “—I am Cain Hennings of Russ, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Russ? As in the southern frontier city?” It was her friend that spoke this time.

“Where nomad bandits live like vultures and terrifying dust worms roam uncharted sands—Yes, I am from that place.” I replied.

Russ is a frontier city located in the most arid region of the kingdom, though it’s better known as the Southern Front.

The city earned that title thanks to its feat of holding up against multiple Monster Waves.

“Are the rumors about that place really that bad?” Ezra asked.

I was not from Russ, in fact, I was way up to the northern border which was completely opposite to the arid region.

Still, my experience as an Inquisitor and being deployed at Russ on multiple occasions was enough.

“I suppose it is but things are looking up for Russ now that the Kingdom is willing to provide support. You wouldn’t believe how much Russ changed over the recent years.”

Ezra nodded, seemingly interested.

Even though it's in an arid region likely to be neglected, the Kingdom in the recent years has sparked interest thanks to the discovery of the gold caves.

Putting significant resources in fortifying their defenses and developing the city's welfare.

“Hmm…I’ve never heard of your family before, are they a merchant group of sorts?” Suddenly her friend was like a shire.

“Oh, you guessed right. But I’m not really into the family business…”

Ezra looked at us back and forth.

“Ah I see…” She still looked at me, skeptical of who I was.

…The mood was getting tense.

Ezra seemed like she wanted to say something…

“I’m sorry to interrupt but classes are about to start.” Someone broke the ice, I don’t know who it was but thank God.

Now I can leave without a hitch.

“Well, I’m headed to the Literature Department, it’s a long walk there so I’ll go on ahead.” I said while showing her my emblem.

Then without waiting for their answers, I wave my farewell to the two.

“Wait!” I stopped on my tracks.

Turning around, I saw that Ezra’s friend was approaching me.

Scratching her cheeks, she says, “I apologize for doubting you. It felt strange not seeing you after the orientation, so I was…curious.”

Interesting choice of words there…

“I had to answer nature’s call halfway through—Human nature and all…” I replied truthfully but she still didn’t seem to buy it.

Just then, out of the corner of my eyes, I saw her, my alibi.

The girl with pigtails.

Just as she passed by, I gestured at her and she gasped.

The immediate recognition in her eyes was the indication that my alibi worked.

“It’s you! The guy that left for the stalls—” I gave out an uneasy smile and raised my hands up.

“I know—I know, no need to tell it twice.” Her face flustered up and she stormed off.

I fake a sigh while covering my face.

“That was a bit embarrassing, I’m sorry you had to see that.”

She shook her head and said that it was fine.

“I’m sorry again for my rude behavior.”

She then smiled, Ezra’s friend finally had a look that I was looking for.

I smirked at that knowing it’s the kind that told me that she’s convinced of her own judgement.

Safe to say, there was no more heat on me.

 


 

The identity that was given to me was about someone who tragically lost his parents to a very fierce dust storm.

It’s said that Cain was taken in by his paternal family, the Hennings.

A merchant family that focuses on the trade of valuable raw materials like copper and iron ores.

If one were to ask who the Hennings were then they’d definitely say that they are that one merchant family who specializes in providing raw materials to blacksmiths and whatnot.

It was believable to the point that people think it’s real.

Except none of it was real, the identities mentioned were nothing more than forged.

It was all a front.

All smoke and mirrors, mixed with nothing more than hollow truths to create an illusion so real that it becomes indistinguishable even to the keenest eyes.

In other words, have enough testimonial evidence to convince an entire city then suddenly the facade becomes a reality.

If someone decided to do some digging about Cain then it’ll be all for naught.

Because as far as I’m concerned, Cain Hennings is a real person.

 


 

Log Report #1

Date: March 1, 1709

Operation: Cloak and Daggers - Phase One

Objective: Infiltrate the Royal Academy

Method: Deep cover as a debutant student

Details: The cover identity of debutant ‘Cain Hennings’ has proven to be highly effective in blending in with the student body. The target environment has been successfully penetrated with minimal complications.

Recommendations: Proceed to Phase Two

—Log Report Over

1