2: Above and Under
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name's Jono, I got reincarnated here eight years ago. A superpower country similar to earth's countries seemed to have adopted me.

They told me that Reincarnateds like me were always welcome, saying that the Dreamstress, their god...? Would reward them based on how many Reincarnateds they house on their country.

The effect people get when they are registered to this country is called: "Lesser Caloric Requirement", which pretty much just means people need less food to survive. 

It's nuts. I only need to eat like five hundred calories to eat, then I don't get hungry for the rest of the day. This is also the reason why the poverty rate of the country is so small too, because of this effect by their so called deity...?

Honestly, I don't know if the Dreamstress is a god or some deity. 

I also have this cool ability too, called 'Springwater' which means I could create and manipulate springwater that I can summon from circles that appear above my palm that are surrounded with some symbols. A literal magic circle.

I honed this ability during that time and could make blades of water fly out and create a beam of water pressure capable of slicing things, I could only keep it up for three seconds though. Now, I became part of the country's Bookseekers.

They are basically explorers who go below the walking continents in an expedition to find books from the World Library. 

Now, I know what you're thinking. 'Why don't just the people from this world ask Reincarnateds like you about information from there?'

Well, apparently the Dreamstress blocks memories regarding 'recipes' and instructions on the creation of earth objects. So, that's that.

I've been on six expeditions so far, and the zombies are terrifying...

They're definitely not like those typical zombies, they're more like monsters. Apparently a Guilty Reincarnated, people from the same world as me but were criminals in the past, created these things.

He was a cannibal of the past apparently, sheesh.

I guess even evil people from Earth still wreak havoc here... Well, they're more like monsters now. 

Anyways, we got about two books from the six expeditions. A book about nutrition and another book about farming methods.

I've defeated around thirty of those zombies along with my team, and now in about three months the Expedition sector is going to unite for a bi-yearly 'Sin Cleansing'.

It's basically a month-long expedition for the Bookseekers, Exterminators and Historians to team up and defeat at least ten Guilty Reincarnateds.

Throughout my time as a Bookseeker, I've fought only around four really strong Guilty Reincarnateds and the rest were still in their trial phase.

Trial Phase Guilties are basically newborn monsters which are always no stronger than a bear in terms of power and have no extra abilities yet. Honestly, the fact that they're not humans anymore and can't talk makes me not feel as bad when defeating them.

The Nightmare Guilties, or the Guilty Reincarnateds who have passed the trial phase but still didn't want redemption are strong. 

The first of the four that I fought was able to wrap lightning around their body and was super fast, the second was really tough to the point that it took the entirety of the expedition sector to kill it. The third could spit acid that was able to melt out armor and flesh, ended up killing three of our team. While the fourth had the palms of their hands become literal lava and melt everything it touched, we luckily already had experience with a melting ability and managed to not get anyone killed.

On the other hand, Redempteds are basically the same as us normal Reincarnated but have seven black banded marks on their bodies. They can also 'dream' but are less likely to have them compared to normal Reincarnateds. Well, hey, at least they got redemption so I'm okay with that.

The country's legally fine with that too, but there is still some discrimination on them by the locals of the world. Can't blame em' too.

Oh, I forgot the country's name is: "Poledam"

Well, now time to go to some boring meeting about some Nobles who want to borrow one of the World Books from the country's archive.

***

The rats are easy to kill now, the holes they have hid in. Reinon could easily crush the ceilings and cave them in, the crushed bodies of the rats were fun and easy to chew.

Something new happened though, the zombies were now giving it more glances than before. 

This was fine for awhile until after a few weeks, one of the zombies floated right in front of it. It didn't just notice it.

The zombie was facing it, staring at Reinon. Its mouth seemed to slowly open, like a well of blades. Its sharp teeth resting in its gums which were filled with drool.

It was food. Reinon had become significant enough to be considered as the Zombies' target.

Significant enough.

Reinon was becoming a threat.

As the two stared at each other, the zombie's eyeless form still held an inconceivable gaze. Reinon's violet eyes deeply observing the zombie.

"Havok will hunt the guilty one." The zombie spoke.

Its spit flying out as it stretched its arm out, its claws sheened as it was further brought out. Reinon with its powerful and strong yet small frame readied its stance.

Like an attacking jet, Havok the zombie blitzed to Reinon. Its claws ready to slash at the reptilian.

Reinon in response jumped to the side, using the explosive force brought by its burst of strength. Reinon knew it would not win, yet despite that.

Reinon knew that if it ran. Havok the Hunter would be at every advantage. So, in that instant, instead of running off had instead decided to stand its ground.

Havok immediately flew towards Reinon, its incredible speed further enhanced by a blast of wind from its jet-like protrusions, Reinon narrowed its right eye as it clenched its right hand and pulled back its arm.

As Havok made contact with the reptilian, Reinon used the force generated by Havok's propulsion and dug its long claws into the zombie's neck. It was a shallow cut, but Reinon knew now. They both have the same reaction speed.

"Little lizard. Witty." Havok spoke as it traced its newfound cut.

Havok's opening maw then closed.

"I wanna see you. Become strong, like Vouthlow." Havok said.

Reinon crouched, its eyes rapidly fluttering around observing the entire situation. After slowly realizing that nothing else would ambush it, the reptilian got up from its position and gazed at the zombie.

Its eyes looked odd, determined but cold.

"Humans sometimes go here. To get paper. Books. They will fight you. An' me an' other Corpsekin. If you stay weak, you die." Havok warned the little reptilian.

Reinon then turned around and ran to some place else, to recuperate from its tired state. 

***

The sounds of stones being destroyed and moved woke Reinon, its day's worth of rest interrupted by the sounds. 

Reinon caught its scent, it had the scent of a Corpsekin like Havok. The Corpsekin didn't smell bad, rather they smelled of cooked pork. 

So, this scent was caught by Reinon's nose. A corpsekin was actively doing this. It was looking for something.

Reinon's eyes glowed a bright violet, using its incredible eyesight to observe. Soon, the stone that covered Reinon from the outside was picked up. The sound of multiple humanoid noses breathing in and breathing out air was filling the scene.

It was like hearing a jet-plane but in human noises, then it'd revealed itself.

Long legs with hand-like feet, having four finger feet similar to a bird's feet. Its torso, hips were that of a muscular human.

Its arms were replaced by a myriad of noses which explained the constant noise of the exhaling and inhaling of air, it had wings which were made from the nose hair from the noses. The noses covered its entire arm until its shoulders, the wing-shaped hair were hanging similar to a large robe.

Its lower neck was decorated with fingers that pressed against its lower area, like a collar of fingers. And its head was replaced with a head-sized thumb or finger.

The nail seemed to open to reveal its mouth which appeared similar to a nail bed.

This corpsekin was looking for Reinon.

"Pik, Executioner of the Guilty." Pik the flying corpse-kin announced.

In that instant, Pik immediately dived down and grabbed Reinon with its four fingered feet and flew up with the reptilian in tow.

After reaching a height slightly below the clouds themselves, the corpsekin talked again. Its voice was breathy and cracking.

"If Insect variable then Abusive Offender, False.

If Mammal variable then Thievery Offender, False. 

If Undead variable then Cannibalistic Offender, False. 

If Plantoid variable then Racial Offender, False.

 If Avian variable then Deceptive Offender, False.

If Mollusk variable then Sexual Offender, False.

If Reptilian variable then Homicidal Offender, True."

Pik then flew up higher until it reached a height above even the clouds.

"If Redemption is True then drop at human country, else if Redemption is False then perform an execution." Pik spoke, as if it was a computer.

Pik then started to slowly fall, with its foot that carried Reinon at its lowest point. 

Its wing-like hair tuckered itself in, and by bringing Reinon forth. It would use Reinon's body to cushion its crash against the ground.

Reinon was going to be executed, flames started to surround both of them as they fell faster and faster. Reinon struggled but was too weak to move even a finger of the appendage that had captured it. 

Reinon slowly felt its consciousness fade away as its body neared the ground.

A dream was about to take place.

Wake up.


Fun fact: Havok's corpse used to be a volleyball player while Pik's corpse used to be a game developer.

2