Chapter 2 – The Gangster
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2.

The Gangster

 

Darella ranked among the most dangerous planets, not because of its native inhabitants but due to the natural catastrophes that shaped its unfortunate condition. In the past, it was home to indigenous people until its sun began to change. At that time, they didn't possess sophisticated instruments to predict it, so the danger was noticed only when it was already too late. Darella's sun underwent a slow yet steady transformation, accompanied by massive solar flares. The misfortune reached its climax when two consecutive solar flares of terrifying magnitude wiped out all life on the planet. The cosmic radiation significantly increased, reaching the planet's surface and relentlessly altering the environment. In a matter of moments, Darella transformed into a desolate and lifeless planet.

Later, the choice of this location for resettlement remained a mystery to most of the Galaxy's inhabitants. A group of brilliant scientists, whose intellect was still highly regarded, concocted the idea that they could halt the radiation using a special shield.

The former Emperor of the Empire supported this concept, so they spent decades working on its development, requiring enormous budgets to create the dome that now encompassed a portion of the planet.

Initially, they enclosed a massive area on the planet's surface, serving as the ground. Then, they replaced the uppermost layer of the atmosphere with a second layer, preventing the penetration of external rays. These two were finally connected, forming a vast space that shielded against danger from all sides. For added security, a third protective shield was established in case the outer shield had to be opened for an incoming ship. In the end, all of this was covered by a fourth magnetic shield. After it all functioned successfully, the team of scientists moved to the planet to set up a new habitat.

As they could no longer see the sun, complete darkness prevailed. They created artificial light sources for the plants, and these sources successfully produced breathable air without protective gear. When they had lived there for a few years and proven that the radiation was no longer dangerous, people from various walks of life started to flock to the planet. They built several enormous cities with a unique and dark ambiance, which made them some of the most popular attractions in the Galaxy. Countless beings flocked to this place and fell in love with the planet. This is where the biggest entertainment centers and the darkest groups could be found.

Because of all these developments, Darella became one of the first among the saved planets. Nowadays, its leaders meticulously managed and monitored the potential threats. They watched the radiation levels and were prepared to evacuate the population if any issues arose, although the shields worked much better than expected. The only remaining dream for the scientists was to somehow permanently halt the radiation and restore the planet to a naturally habitable state, but they had not yet found a solution for that.

The other thing that arose because of this planet and brought tremendous success was shape-shifting implantation. They experimented for a long time on how they might be able to endure the harsh radiation, which led to the development of shape-shifting. Although the experiment failed because it was impossible to confer special properties onto other species, the rumor that scientists could change one's appearance piqued people's interest. Since nobody was ever satisfied with themselves in general, many were eager for the opportunity to alter themselves. Eventually, experiments continued in this direction. This unexpected success brought massive profits to the scientists. In the Galaxy, everyone had heard of the possibility of shape-shifting and wanted to try it. With a few exceptions of species for whom the implantation simply didn't work, almost everyone was capable of molding themselves as they wished. It had become quite rare for someone not to have these implantations. Even though most people went for the most common and safest implantations that they could afford, many tried to acquire cheaper copies, which often had deadly consequences. Nevertheless, those who could afford it could change their gender, their appearance, skin color and type, height, width, the number of their limbs, and practically anything they felt like. These implantations could transform one type of being into another, but only in appearance since they never gained the exact qualities of that species. However, this didn't stop anyone from using them. Trends often emerged, lasting more or less for some time. In the last forty years, there was suddenly a craze for humanoid shapes.

Serion contemplated this while keeping an eye on his companion, who nervously stroked his blue hair.

Due to the winding lines, they had to wait for a long time on the spaceship before they could land in the capital. During that time, they had a chance to observe the dreadful condition of the planet. Its surface was black and cracked, with yellowish gases escaping from some areas. It was completely lifeless, and it looked as if the whole place had been blown up and carelessly patched back together. This terrifying sight was quite different from the silvery shield that covered about a quarter of the planet. At both ends, huge machines were working to generate the magnetic shield around it.

Once they were finally allowed through the shields, they could see how it all looked from the inside. They were thousands of meters high, yet they only saw the wall through which they had entered. The rest of it extended far into the distance.

Above the surface, enormous black-coated spheres floated, emitting the light that sustained the plants. The ground was also made of metal, and the inhabitants built upon it. As they got closer, they observed more and more details. The architectural style was hard to define. Beings from all corners of the galaxy had gathered here, resulting in an amalgamation of countless cultures, sometimes in incredibly bizarre combinations.

There were small and enormous buildings, round and angular, colorful and black structures side by side. Forest-themed patterns on walls could be found next to the most cutting-edge styles, alongside a neon-pink skyscraper that almost hurt Serion's eyes.

Multi-level streets wound through the city, making it nearly impossible to navigate. The layout was chaotic, and it was challenging to discern the purpose of each building. Plants were scattered everywhere, attached to walls in some places, while others covered entire streets on the ground level.

Lights flashed everywhere, with signs advertising products, events, and messages running on giant screens. Countless machines flew above and between the buildings. In the midst of it all, an array of different beings wandered the streets.

Darella itself was the epitome of chaos, and everyone in the Galaxy adored it beyond measure.

Serion leaned forward in his seat and shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. He was drenched in sweat from his nightmare, but when he glanced around, he noticed the pilot giving him a peculiar look. That's when he realized he had dozed off during the wait.

"Did you have a bad dream?" Angron asked.

"Yes... It's nothing. It's been happening lately," Serion replied.

Angron shrugged and gazed out of the window. "We're almost there, so it's good you woke up."

Once they successfully landed their ship on one of the upper-level landing strips, they stepped out into the atmosphere. It was stifling and had an unpleasant odor at first, but after a few minutes, they acclimated to it.

Angron's first action was to pull a cigarette from his pocket and lean against the railing to light it, observing the lights below. He only looked up when Serion joined him.

"Where's the girl we're looking for?" Angron asked.

"I don't know."

"I thought you received proper instructions for the mission."

"The admiral only mentioned that we need to retrieve something from a girl named Solar."

"That's not much information."

"Allegedly, she's associated with the local gangsters."

"Great. I think we'll find her more easily if we split up."

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea."

Angron looked at him and grinned. "Are you afraid to be alone?"

"No, but if one of us runs into trouble..."

"That's what the device on your wrist is for, so we can communicate. State-of-the-art technology. Just saying. Come on, let's get going! We can split up later."

The city was cloaked in perpetual twilight. Wherever they ventured in the surrounding streets, illuminated buildings stretched out beside them, their lights casting a lengthy glow. Numerous names in different colors blinked in and out of existence, composed of rapidly changing beams of light. Many of them actually moved to further disorient anyone who looked at them.

There were hardly any traditional patterns of the planet's former inhabitants. Various shops, casinos, bars, and anything a tourist might need lined up side by side. Each catered to a different species, so everyone could find a place that suited their taste.

Countless vehicles zoomed above their heads, including passenger shuttles and privately owned craft. They were designed specifically for flight since the streets were so congested that they couldn't fit on the ground. Some people used these vehicles for illegal racing, which was theoretically banned but practically overlooked by authorities since it didn't disrupt the traffic. Those who engaged in these dangerous races had the sense to take them into the skies above the city, weaving through the tallest buildings. It was common to look up and see one of these craft speeding by. If there were accidents, and a craft exploded or crashed, the participants always managed to eliminate any evidence quickly. They kept quiet for a day or two until the panic died down.

Not only did they have the freedom to act, but the laws forbidding many things didn't actually stop much. While the planet was part of the Empire, there were no checks and controls in place, so people could drink and take drugs as they pleased in entertainment places. Since the planet was only a passing-through stop for many, where they rested for a day or two and then hurried on, it was impossible to enforce strict regulations. This was why Darella became a favorite hub for smugglers, illegal traders, and bounty hunters.

Angron had visited here several times before, so he knew exactly where to go, but he was still amazed at how unique Darella was. Various creatures from all corners of the Galaxy frequented the place, and for that reason, nobody paid any attention. Nobody bothered with him, and he was quite happy about that. They had occasionally criticized him for having humanoid forms despite being an aquatic being, but he felt that it was nobody's business how many implantations he needed for it.

He parted ways with Serion when they reached one of the streets in the entertainment district. Angron knew that the gang members often hung out here and thought they might have some information. The bar they entered was almost empty at that time. Only a few people were inside. The walls had a dim greenish glow thanks to the lamps illuminating them. Apart from those, there wasn't much else providing light in the room. There was no particular decoration, but nobody seemed to miss it.

The woman Angron was looking for stood behind the bar, serving drinks. She wore a short yellow dress, and a small pendant hung around her neck. Her face looked tired under the blond hair that hung over her pink eyes. She had probably been on shift for quite a few hours, yet she engaged in short conversations with everyone and then hurried to the next customer. Robots weren't employed in this bar, even though it would have been beneficial for the woman, as it was visible she could use some help.

Angron went straight to the bar and took a seat on one of the stools. A few people glanced at him, but he just tapped the green glass countertop lightly, so they soon lost interest in him.

The woman appeared a few minutes later and poured him a drink of some sparkling greenish liquid, which was a favorite of his species. Angron didn't feel that a little alcohol would disrupt his work, so he drank it without a word. He found it ridiculous that they had sent him on such a short mission. He could have done this with his eyes closed or even in his sleep. Sephra had obviously went insane during her time on the tiny starship.

A moment later, he struck up a conversation with the woman, who took his empty glass and from whom he had previously obtained information in exchange for some money.

Serion was also nearby. The street was flooded with various creatures, so he went practically unnoticed. He didn't put much thought into which direction he was heading. He wandered through the streets for at least half an hour, and then randomly entered a bar.

The wall was black, but it was illuminated in a purplish light. There were several people here, mostly at the tables. To the side, a bar stood, with a tall man behind it, and two waitresses were swiftly carrying out the ordered drinks.

Serion had been contemplating why places like this didn't employ robots, but as he had recently learned from one of the owners, many guests found it more enjoyable to chat with live creatures and not have to listen to the annoying buzzing of robots. He had to admit they were right.

At the back, there was a visible stage with purple curtains on either side. Four dancers performed on it, hailing from different species. Serion couldn't discern what type of dance it was from the moves, mainly consisting of arm gestures and spins, nor from the style of their clothing. Each of them wore a sparkling top with one sleeve tight on their upper arm, flaring out at the elbow, and it hung down to their wrist. The other arm was entirely bare, allowing it to protrude from the shoulder. Their midriffs were exposed because their pants clung to their thighs and flared out from the knees, only starting at their hips. Their colors matched the ambiance of the bar, with the two dancers on the sides wearing purple, and the two in the middle wearing deep blue dresses.

He decided that these women might have heard many things, so perhaps they could help. He singled out the closest one, who, upon noticing this, began to smile faintly and moved closer.

Serion stared at her thoughtfully. He found her attractive, especially her turquoise eyes, but not enough to break his oath, which he had sworn to a woman he was engaged to. He had no desire for anyone else, and he was confident that the woman hadn't broken her promise either. He knew that for her species, an oath wasn't as critical, while for his people, it was strictly adhered to. Throughout history, except for one exception, they had perhaps never broken their oaths, and everyone knew that. Once spoken, anyone could safely assume that they kept it. This was one of the reasons it was immensely difficult to get them to make an oath in the first place.

Serion only snapped back to reality when the girl leaned closer. It seemed like the song had ended, and new dancers had come.

"May I know why you looked so intently? Can I help with something?" she inquired.

Serion replied softly, "Yes, you can help. I'm looking for a girl named Solar."

"For information like that, there's a nice fee, I hope you know."

"I'll pay for it."

The woman cautiously jumped off the stage and headed toward one of the back doors. Halfway there, she whispered that this was the best option because almost no one was paying attention to them in that area. They emerged into a narrow alley, where the music and distant clamor could be heard, but there was no one nearby. The dimly lit signs of a few abandoned bars were visible, but apart from that, there wasn't much other illumination.

"I'm asking for five thousand, alright? Solar is associated with the local gang. I know her, but they're quite hard to locate. Look for a large warehouse with no lighting. If Solar isn't on a mission, she's usually inside."

With a sudden movement, Serion drew his palm's hidden dagger from his sleeve, which he had used to deliver a strike to the dancer's temple. Following that, he reached into his pocket, retrieved some coins, and scattered them on the ground next to the unconscious woman. The coins emitted a blue light that illuminated the girl's dark hair.

"Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have more money on me. Perhaps I could have mentioned it earlier."

As he walked down the road, after a long walk, he spotted Angron. The pilot leaned against the wall, closed his eyes, and had the most profoundly calm expression on his face since their encounter. Serion couldn't decide if this calmness came from the silence or the cigarette he was avidly puffing and exhaling smoke.

Serion also noticed movement coming from the other end of the street. A figure was approaching. When the person entered the nearby sign's light, it became clear that it was a young girl. She appeared quite young, by common reckoning, definitely not more than twenty years old, so she hadn't even reached adulthood. Perhaps she was still seventeen or even younger, though Serion wasn't sure how years were measured in her species.

The girl approached with cat-like grace. She had short, dark green fur with spots and stripes on her arms. Her form revealed a predatory sleekness, with three-fingered paws for both her legs and arms, which she retracted her claws into. Her nose, mouth, and sharp teeth all resembled those of a big cat, but her ears were round and flat. She had no hair, and a long tail peeked out from under her clothing. Her eyes were green. All in all, she appeared too slender to be threatening. She looked like she'd been starving.

She wore a brown, deep-cut outfit that clung tightly to her entire body, although there wasn't much to show. A wide, thick belt adorned her waist, with tiny chains hanging all around it. The entire attire looked rather flashy, to the point where Serion pondered for a second or two about the girl's occupation until he noticed the small ray gun she was twirling in her paw.

He saw that Angron and the girl started a conversation as if they were negotiating something. Serion approached and waved at them. The girl regarded him with suspicion, but the pilot reassured her.

"No problem. He's my companion, the one I mentioned. Serion, this is Solar."

"Indeed? Surprisingly young," he remarked.

"That doesn't anything," the girl replied unfriendly. "What guarantees me that you are who you claim to be? I have no certainty that the admiral genuinely sent you."

At that moment, Angron took out his badge and showed it.

"How many could counterfeit one like this?"

Solar leaned closer, remained silent for a while, and then straightened up, nodding.

"It's authentic. All right, I'll believe you."

At that instant, an explosion disrupted the silence, and they all turned their heads. While the sound seemed to come from a distance, the flash that accompanied it made it clear that something was happening on top of a building.

Angron looked visibly alarmed. "That was our spaceship!"

"Are you sure?" Serion asked.

"Yes!"
At that moment, the pilot reached for his wristband and tried to contact the admiral, but there was no connection. However, a message arrived from the girl moments later, specifically for Angron. She explained that as soon as they had left, a part of the rebel fleet had shown up, and because they were overwhelmingly outnumbered, she had surrendered while ensuring the safety of the crew.

Solar looked at them with a sense of unease. "Rebels...? Look, I have no desire to get involved with the rebels. I've taken a huge risk reaching out to you as it is."

"Just give us what the admiral requested, and we'll be out of your hair."

The girl adjusted her belt. "I didn't bring it with me. I hid it until I was sure who I was dealing with. I'll take you there, but there's still the matter of payment."

"Just tell us how much you want."

Solar hesitated. "I... I didn't want money. The admiral promised to get me out of here. You see, I've lived here since I was a child, and the conditions are terrible. I managed to steal enough money from my boss to buy an illegal spaceship, but if they find out, they'll kill me. I want to leave, but I can't fly it. The admiral said there would be an excellent pilot in the team. It was more than worth it for me to give up what we found."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. It's some green piece of metal. I have no idea what it's for. I've never seen anything like it, but the admiral was determined to get her hands on it."

Angron looked at his partner with a questioning expression, but Serion similarly turned to him in confusion.

"Alright... Look, Solar, I'm offering a deal! I am the pilot mentioned by the admiral, but our spaceship was destroyed. So, if you give us that thing, I'll take you anywhere you want in your spaceship, but we need to help the admiral first. If she's really been taken captive, we can't leave her there."

"What's your plan? Are you just going to sneak aboard the starship? That would mean angering the rebels."

"Yes, but you can evade them more easily in space than the gangsters here if you stay. I'm sure you can help us."

Solar nervously twitched her nose, causing her whiskers to sway. She was clearly weighing her options.

"Besides, the admiral is incredibly wealthy," Angron added casually. "She could definitely assist you financially."

The girl glared at him.

"Do you think I can be bribed?... Well, you're right. I don't have much time before the boss figures out I swiped a bunch of money from him. Let's go!"

The three of them ran in the direction indicated by the girl. Above them, on the rooftop, a boy lay low. He perked up his pointed ears, raised his arm, and whispered something barely audible into his wristband.

Up in space, on the rebels' starship, the Captain was attentively listening to the message and responded almost immediately. Following orders, another boy stealthily infiltrated the gangsters' base, killing anyone he found, covering his tracks, and then hiding.

Meanwhile, the first boy leaped from the roof, following Solar and her two companions.

"Is there a chance your friends will wait for us?" Serion asked the girl.

"I hope not. Usually, they go hunting at times like this. There might be a couple of guards around, but we can avoid them."

The girl led them to a seemingly abandoned building, which stood almost unnoticed amidst the colorful, vibrant city. She opened one of the back doors, glanced around, and then sneaked inside. Her companions followed suit.

Inside, everything was filled with stacks of crates and bags piled on top of one another. It was clear that someone had recently been there, although they didn't see anyone.

Solar led them to a small, enclosed hangar, where a white spaceship was parked. Angron circled it both inside and out with an unsatisfied grunt.

"This is a wreck."

"I apologize for not having the funds for a luxury spaceship..."

"It's not that bad," Serion tried to appease them. "The key is that it's spacious, we can fit in it, and it's operational."

The spacecraft had three bedrooms, a central area, a storage room, the cockpit, and the engines. Fortunately, it was capable of jumping, which visibly reassured Angron.

"Okay, it'll do. Where is what the admiral wanted?" Angron asked.

Solar led her companions two rooms further, with two boys sneaking behind them onto the spaceship.

The fact that they hadn't encountered anyone unsettled the girl, but at least she didn't have to offer any explanations. She retrieved an oddly shimmering green metal piece from a locked safe and handed it to the two men.

"This was it."

Angron took it and checked the object with a peculiar expression. It looked like a broken shard.

"This? We had to come all the way down here for this piece of junk?!"

Solar raised her arms without the slighest care.

"I have no idea what your admiral wanted with it, but she really needed it."

"Alright, then. We'll take it. Let's go. We need to get out of Darella and find her!"

***

As much as they tried, they had to wait in a long line to leave, just as they did when they entered.

A silent atmosphere reigned inside the spaceship. Solar and Serion had already claimed their respective bedrooms and decided to rest while they waited to leave the planet.

Angron sat alone in the cockpit. After switching to autopilot, he reclined in the comfortable seat, crossed his legs on the instrument panel, and waited. He was nervous as he listened to the admiral's message over and over. He couldn't understand why Sephra had surrendered. Obviously, the rebels had the upper hand, but still... perhaps there could have been another way. She wasn't the type who just gave up without a fight.

He looked at the green metal piece lying beside him and picked it up, baffled. He couldn't see the reason for being sent off the starship because of such a trifle.

As he turned it in his hands, he felt his heart begin to beat irregularly, and his head pulsated. The serpent-like line slowly faded before his eyes. For a moment, he couldn't comprehend what had happened.

"Where is it?" he whispered in fear as he came to his senses.

His gaze wandered around the cockpit, but he couldn't find what he was looking for anywhere. He got up from his seat and started walking with trembling legs. He wasn't surprised to see only blotches. He hoped he could find it in time.

But he couldn't find it.

Everything was covered in blood. Angron cried out in horror and buried his face in his hands.

"This isn't real. This isn't real, this isn't real..."

He heard the boy's scream, followed immediately by the girl's. He remembered them.

He had to find it. He couldn't live without it. He didn't want to go through it all over again.

He set out, heading straight for the bedrooms, pushing everything aside in his path. Nothing could stop him. He could hear his own laughter as he ran his claws along one of the metal doors and grasped the handle. He could smell them. These two meant nothing to him. He could find much better ones somewhere else, back on Shouta. He wanted to go in and kill the soldier and the girl. Shouta was far away. These two were here, locked up with him. He wanted them. He needed them.

For a moment, everything was clear.

Angron looked up. He didn't know when or how he ended up on the floor, and he didn't know why his hands were bloody. Had he already done it? He couldn't hear them. He saw that his clothes were hanging in tatters on his arm, revealing the bloody, scaly skin beneath. He felt no pain.

He could think. Now he had time. He needed to retrieve it before he harmed someone. He was unable to stand up, so he crawled back desperately on all fours to his cabin and immediately started searching. It had to be there somewhere, but his vision started to blur again.

His hand stumbled upon the small box. He didn't know how it fell out of his pocket, but he didn't care now. His vision was overwhelmed with blood. With trembling hands, he tore off the paper cover and took out the first cigarette. He didn't see it as a cigarette. Bloody shreds dangled from his hand, but he had enough presence of mind to know what it really was. He didn't need a lighter. This cigarette lit itself. He put it into his mouth immediately, and he watched the tip flare up.

He lowered his head to the cool floor and closed his eyes. He let the screams flood his mind.

He lay like this for a long time. The cigarette had already burned out, but he still held the end in his mouth. He didn't know when the voices had died. They just weren't there anymore.

Angron cautiously looked up and was horrified to notice his vision was still blurred. When he touched his eyes with trembling hands, he realized it was because of the tears. Nothing was bloody anymore, only his fingers, which he used to scratch his arms. The claws were gone.

Then he felt how much the wounds hurt. He slowly got up and realized that he needed to hold onto the wall to avoid falling. Somewhere on the ship, there must be a disinfectant. He noticed it when he had looked around. He tore off the sleeves of his torn clothes, disinfected the wounds, and bandaged them. He didn't have to wait too long.

He looked around again, and everything had returned to normal. He tried to laugh at his situation, but all that came out was a faint groan.

He simply slumped to the floor, embraced his knees, and let the tears flow. They wanted to come on their own, and there was no one around to see them.

He hated himself. He thought that by leaving the place where all of this had started, he might find peace. That's why he became a pilot in the first place. Pilots could fly across the galaxy, so he could be as far away from Shouta as possible. He didn't expect his visions to come back. He knew that they could appear anywhere, but still...

His comrades weren't safe. He could have killed them at any moment.

He had to find Sephra. The admiral knew everything. She was always prepared for this situation. She knew what had to be done.

Sephra was capable of protecting him.

As he contemplated all this, he suddenly heard a noise from the back of the ship. It was a good enough reason to wipe away his tears, get up, and go see what was there. The sound came from a distance. Even in such a miserable condition, his caution didn't abandon him, so he immediately took out his gun.

He followed the source of the noises, which led him straight to the engine room. There was no one there, although he was sure he had heard something for a few moments.

He burst into painful laughter. He had seen blood. Why couldn't he hallucinate something else as well?

No matter how hard he listened, the only thing making noise was the engine. Angron carefully inspected the machinery from all sides. Perhaps something was wrong with it. Apart from the creaking, it seemed like the engine was functioning properly. There were no external damages to it. It would be impossible to check it from the inside now. While he had some knowledge of repairs, he couldn't be sure if he was capable of focusing well in his current state. Additionally, he would have needed tools, which he couldn't find.

He immediately made his way to the storage to check if there was suitable equipment for repairs. However, as he rummaged through the clutter, he found nothing. This time, he cursed Solar for not being able to procure everything needed for a spaceship.

He then headed back to the storage with a clear head to make sure he had the right tools.

He put the box in his pocket. He swore that he wouldn't lose it again. As long as he had it, nothing could happen.

***

Solar was wide awake. She had recently left her room because she knew something was wrong. She could hear Angron's voice, but it sounded like he was talking to himself. She didn't understand, so she decided to look outside, but when his continuous speech suddenly turned into a fit of madness, she rushed back to her room and locked the door.

She could hear that Angron had gone exactly to where she had been before. He was outside for a while, then he left, came back, made strange noises, and left again.

Whatever had happened, Solar was terrified. Since then, she had been lying on her bed, staring at the door. She had locked it with several locks, but for some reason, she felt that if Angron had wanted to come in, these wouldn't have stopped him.

Solar didn't know if Serion had heard the noises from his room or if he had woken up at all. She didn't dare go check, so she just lay under the covers, clutching the small ray gun in her hand. She felt like a stowaway on her own ship, as if she could have been caught at any moment, just like she did years ago, the very first time she had flown. The one and only time.

Back then, she had been sitting in the arms of her father's friend, allowing him to rush with her. She didn't know where they were going, and no matter how many questions she asked, she received no answers. The man had taken her between numerous spaceships and then left her beside the lowered ramp of one of them. There was no one around. He placed a tiny ray gun in her hand and assured her to be careful with it, only to use it when necessary, and to always keep it with her. He said the weapon would protect her from anything, just never let it go. After that, he sent her onto the spaceship, and Solar, crying, searched for the storeroom. There, she climbed into a large crate filled with food. She had no idea how long she was there, but when the spaceship landed somewhere, her first action was to rush off when no one was looking. She had no idea where she was or what she was doing there, and why her father wasn't with her. That's how she ended up on Darella.

The way she was hiding now reminded her of the feeling she had as a little girl. She didn't dare move, for fear of being noticed.

For some time, she hadn't heard anything, no more noises, banging, talking. There was complete silence.

Solar carefully opened the door slightly and peeked out. There was no one in sight. Encouraged by this, she sneaked into the hallway and started moving forward. She held the small ray gun in her hand. She had sworn to do what her father's friend had told her. She had never put it down.

She hesitated when she saw blood on the floor. She continued quietly, skirting around the red puddle and the toppled crates. She made her way straight to the cockpit, keeping the ray gun ready. She had vowed to follow her father's friend's advice. She never put it down.

She stopped when she saw blood on the floor. It made her move even more cautiously as she bypassed the red puddle and the overturned crates. She continued to the cockpit and found Angron there, slumped in the chair. His head hung to the side as if he had fainted.

Solar unsecured her ray gun before entering.

"Are you okay?"

She received no response, and she didn't dare touch him, so she raised her voice slightly.

"Are you okay?"

At this, Angron raised his head to see who was there. When he spotted Solar, he seemed to be relieved.

"Help..."

"What? How? What happened?"

"Help!" the man repeated, lifting his hands.

Solar then noticed that Angron's arms were bandaged, and they were already bloody. She couldn't understand. Had he been attacked? There was no one else on the spaceship besides the three of them.

The girl fell silent and eventually sighed. She draped Angron's arm over her shoulder and helped him stand. For a moment, she felt like her spine would break under the weight. She noticed that the man couldn't support his own weight. Without saying anything, she gritted her teeth and mustered all her strength to drag him to an empty bedroom. There, she couldn't go any further and simply let the man fall onto one of the beds before collapsing herself onto the floor.

Solar sat there silently, gasping for air. When she looked up, she saw that Angron had passed out. She gazed at his bloody arms. She couldn't understand how they got injured or why Angron had gone berserk.

She cautiously got up and went out. She decided to use what little knowledge of healing she had been forced to acquire on Darella. She collected everything she deemed necessary from the storage room and rushed back, settling on the floor again. She pulled one of the man's arms close and removed the entirely bloodied, sloppily wrapped bandages. Then she dropped everything in shock.

Angron's arm was completely unharmed. Solar stared at it and then the bloody rags. She couldn't comprehend it. The man had clearly been injured, but it looked like nothing had happened to him. It made no sense.

This was too much for her. She needed something sweet.

Solar quietly got up, went out, and closed the door behind her. She hurried to the other storage room and rummaged through the various food items until she found something that met her current desires. With the sweet treat in hand, she returned to the pilot's cabin. The queue outside still showed no sign of ending.

For a while, she attempted to make sense of everything that had happened, but her head eventually began to throb, so she decided to stretch and recline in her seat. She pondered why that woman they were searching for was so important. Surely, no one would risk so much for her. She had no friends or family. She wasn't in a romantic relationship, and she didn't want to be, at least until her vengeance was complete. Even after all this excitement, she couldn't forget about it. It was her life's purpose. Sometimes the thought crossed her mind that maybe she should never fulfill it; otherwise, there would be nothing left for her to fight for, but she always dismissed this notion.

She had been planning the big confrontation for years, onsidering every possibility, trap, weapon, verbal duel, even the final monologue before the great death. She had visualized themselves on many planets, in various situations, but she still hadn't figured out the perfect scenario. She believed that no matter where it happened, she would accept it, yet she still enjoyed daydreaming about it. She had only seen the target once, but she would never forget that face. She didn't know his name, but she was sure she would recognize him instantly. She wished they could finally meet, that she could finally confront him.

At least then there would be a purpose to staying alive.

Solar rubbed her eyes, got up, and decided to knock on Serion's door.

She thought it would be better to stay awake.

 

0