Chapter 1 – A Very Bad Evening
1k 1 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The supermarket was loud around her, busy with the evening rush as shoppers hurried to grab their groceries and leave. Sara ignored them all, staring intently down at the rows of beef. She pressed her knuckles against her lips as she considered the many choices before her.

She nearly drooled at the expensive cuts - strip steaks, whole ribs. They even had a large chuck roast that seemed to have come in just today. Recipes raced through her head, idea after idea of what she could make with any one of these. She could practically smell the spices already.

A man knocked into her, snapping her back to reality. She spun on her heels, ready to snap at the man when she froze. He was already sneering down at her, shoving his cart further by and nearly running over her worn sneakers in the process.

"Sorry," she said quickly, dropping her eyes before she could even think. The man who walk in to her just scoffed.

Great job Sara, she scolded herself, Why don't you just thank him for walking all over you while you're at it?  She turned back to the meats, glancing at the chuck roast one last time before grabbing the smallest, cheapest skirt steak they had. The yellow half price sticker stuck out like a brand.

The large oxidized section and fast approaching expiration date explained the heavy discount, but Sara still sniffed it as discreetly as she could. No odd scent, so it was probably still good.

Her shoulders slumped. Better then nothing, she thought, dropping it in her basket next to her ramen and eggs. It nearly brought her over-budget, and she'd be living off of rice until her paycheck came in next week, but she hadn't had beef in months, not since her old roommate moved in with her boyfriend. It was worth it, a nice little treat for all the stress.

The checkout line was as crowded as the rest of the store, but no one ran her over and her card didn't decline, so Sara counted this shopping trip as a success. She left the store with her items, wondering if she'd have time to make an egg or two before she had to get ready for her next shift.

Cars rushed past her as she made her way down the sidewalk. The wind from them whipped her dark hair around her face, and she tilted her head back to look up the evening sky. Somewhere across the street, a man jeered at her, wolf whistling and asking about her prices. She closed her eyes and kept walking, pretending she couldn't hear and praying he didn't try and pick a fight. One failed confrontation was enough for the day.

Thankfully he didn't follow her, and she was left alone with her growling stomach as she turned onto the quieter residential streets that held her apartment. 

The streets were so quiet that it actually took a moment for Sara to realize that something was wrong.

The first thing to clue her in was the bright, floating lights. She jumped back as the first one passed her face, nearly shrieking.

"What the—" she started to say, only for the words to die as she realized the world was frozen around her. Everyone and everything had just stopped, baring the floating lights that seemed to be coming from her actual foot!

"No no no!" Sara said, hopping on the non-glowing foot and trying to swat away the lights as they consumed her leg. "I don't have time for anyone bullshit!" Her hand passed straight through her foot. "AH!" She screamed, only to realize that she couldn't even hop anyone.

Her other leg had begun to glow too, the particle effects coming off faster and faster as she found herself floating. Panic shot through her, but even as she spun her arms and tried to will it all to stop, she just kept floating. The air around turned weird as well, a golden tint consuming it as soft chanting rang out.

"What the fuck! What the fuck!" She screamed, tipping backwards. Her grocery bag slipped through her hand. "My steak!" She reached for it as it plummeted down, hitting the ground in a spray of broken eggs, "NO!"

Sara could have cried. Her steak, her precious steak was flattened. Clearly the catcaller she had ignored had actually killed her and now she was in hell.

The golden tint flashed white, blinding her. Sara threw up her arms to cover her eyes as the weightlessness abruptly cut out. She slammed down onto something cold and hard, sending pins and needles along the side that hit as the chanting ended and the light faded. The force of it all sent her head whipping back, slamming it into the hard stone as well.

"Oww," she whined, pushing herself up. She rubbed her head, squeezing her eyes tight at the pain. What on earth happened? She thought. The world spun around her, her vision dancing as she finally opened her eyes. She blinked the stars away, only for her heart to freeze.

Men and women, dozens of them dressed in heavy white and gold robes, all stood around her and the stone altar she was sprawled out on. 

Oh good, she thought faintly, as dizziness suddenly overwhelmed her. I got kidnapped by cult.

47