Chapter 14 – Althea’s 6th Birthday
178 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Althea's 6th birthday and afterward...


After successfully sealing her magical powers, Althea returned to the Monclair territory from the royal castle. However, she was forbidden to leave the territory by the king, and her parents even told her she couldn't leave the premises of their estate.

The Monclair estate, where Althea lived with her parents, was fairly spacious. However, for Althea, who was always active, running around and climbing trees within the estate, being told she couldn't go outside was quite difficult, even if it was for her own safety.

After spending days confined within the estate, Althea's smiles gradually diminished. It was then that she was offered lessons in "self-defense" by her personal maid, Laila.

Ordinary young ladies didn't need to learn self-defense. However, due to being born into a military family, the risk of information about the "sealing of magic" leaking from anywhere, and the potential danger if such information were to leak, Althea was allowed to learn self-defense.

Of course, Thomas, Regalus, Hanny, the estate's servants, and even Laila were all committed to protecting Althea, but Althea herself was not a quiet, obedient young lady. Therefore, it was concluded that it would be beneficial for her to learn self-defense albeit a bit early for the sake of self-preservation.

Nevertheless, the young lady herself was simply delighted at the prospect of being able to move her body to the fullest extent.

Although she began learning self-defense for that reason, Althea's natural physical abilities allowed her to progress quickly. By the time nearly a year had passed, Althea had almost mastered the forms of self-defense, and she became eager to become even stronger.

Around that time, Althea encountered the story of "The Two Blessed Maidens," which she received as a birthday present, and she expressed her desire to learn swordsmanship along with Regalus's training.

Regalus remembered his parents saying, "If she learns to handle a sword, she might lose potential suitors," but he also couldn't shake the feeling of not wanting his dear sister to get hurt. Despite his initial opposition to Althea learning swordsmanship, he was eventually persuaded to cooperate with his parents' consideration.


About a week after Althea's 6th birthday, on a sunny day, Thomas and Clara were enjoying tea together when their beloved daughter and son came to them with a request.

Upon hearing their request, the parents found themselves at a loss.

They hadn't completely ruled out the possibility of such a request. Althea's physical abilities were quite good, given her habit of running around since she was a child. However, it wasn't as simple as granting permission for her to learn swordsmanship. After all, she was just 6 years old and lacked suitable weapons other than custom-made ones.

As a noblewoman born into a military family, Althea would eventually need to learn the art of combat. However, they had envisioned this happening around the age of 10 when her body had matured somewhat.

Nevertheless, they hadn't anticipated her earnest desire to learn combat skills at the age of 6.

Overwhelmed by the shock, Clara, pressing her temples, muttered, "Even though we're from a military family, if we give her too much combat ability, she might start saying she wants to become a knight..."

"...That's quite possible and a bit scary," Thomas agreed with a grin.

"She's still only 6 years old, but she's already trying to climb trees and jump out of them to go outside. Laila has saved her several times by finding her and bringing her back, but I've often thought, what if Laila wasn't there..."

The two let out a heavy sigh.

After a moment of silence, Thomas began the conversation.

"...You know, Clara, as members of the Monclair family, our daughter will eventually need to learn some form of combat skills..."

"But I think she just wants to become stronger. Maybe we should talk to Althea first," Clara suggested.

"...You might be right. Let's hear what Althea has to say about what it means to handle weapons," Thomas agreed.

"That sounds like a good idea. Besides... why is she so tomboyish? I thought I was quite something in my younger days, but she's even more so. I wonder who she takes after?"

Glancing at Thomas, Clara chuckled accompanied with a sly grin.

"Ahem. Well, let's just say it's me," Thomas replied with a wry smile.


Meanwhile, Althea and Laila were summoned to Thomas's study the following day.

"Well then, Althea. You mentioned that you wanted to learn swordsmanship in addition to self-defense, right?" Thomas asked, anticipating the topic.

Realizing that this was the topic of discussion, Althea looked straight at Thomas and nodded, saying, "Yes."

"To cut to the chase, we won't allow you to learn swordsmanship for now," Thomas said.

"Why not?" Althea asked, not entirely convinced even though she had anticipated this response.

"You see, since you were born into this family, you will eventually need to learn 'combat skills.' However, at the age of 6, it's simply too early," Thomas explained.

"In that case, when will I be able to learn 'combat skills'?" Althea inquired.

"Hmm... a bit later, perhaps?"

While looking at Althea's face, Thomas continued, "By the way, Althea, do you really understand the meaning of 'handling weapons'?"

"The meaning?"

"Yes."

...The meaning... the meaning... it's to protect myself, right?

Suddenly looking at Thomas, Althea searched for an answer, meeting his gaze directly.

After a brief silence, Althea answered, "To protect myself. And also because I don't want to be protected; I want to protect those around me. But I hadn't thought about the possibility of having to hurt someone to protect others."

"Do you have the 'resolve' to harm others if necessary?"

"..."

"If someone doesn't have the 'resolve' to harm others and finds themselves in a situation where they have to fight, they might end up giving their weapon to their opponent. That could put the people you want to protect in danger. So until you have the resolve to 'handle weapons,' you won't be allowed to learn swordsmanship."

Though I think this is a harsh way of putting it... there's no other choice. Althea needs to think about this seriously; otherwise, she might end up getting hurt...

Thomas looked at Althea with a worried expression after delivering his decisive words.

After a while, Althea, squeezing her hands tighter, started to speak in a small voice while looking down.

"...I'm sorry, Father... I just... I just wanted to become stronger. Not just to be protected, but to protect... But I hadn't considered that I might have to hurt someone to protect others."

"...Yeah, that's understandable. You're only 6 years old, after all," Thomas said with a smile as Althea looked up.

"Moreover, your magic manifested quite early, so you're at a much higher risk than other young ladies. So, I understand your desire to learn. Our family is a military family, and there will come a time when you'll need to have the resolve to fight. But I don't think that time is now. Right now, I want you to experience more beautiful and enjoyable things and find many things that are important to you. When you have something precious, I'm sure you'll have the resolve to protect it."

Listening silently to Thomas's words, Althea's eyes welled up with tears, and she clung to him.

"...Yeah, I understand. Father, for now, I'm okay with just self-defense. Instead, I'll practice self-defense so much that no one can beat me, and I'll do my best to be able to run away no matter what happens."

"Yeah... But I hope you never have to 'run away.'..."

Thomas hugged Althea back with a wry smile.

"Yeah, me too."

"Well, I feel bad because we've imposed restrictions on you from going outside, but there must be a limit to feeling beautiful and enjoyable things within the estate," Thomas said.

"Oh, then I want to learn how to ride a horse! If I can ride a horse, I'll be able to escape no matter what happens, and if I can go outside, I can go far away, right?"

Looking at Althea, whose eyes were sparkling once again as she brought up such an unexpected idea, Thomas laughed heartily.

"...Haha! Truly, you're my and Clara's child... I never expected that. Well, riding a horse might be okay for a 'tomboy' like you."

Thomas replied with a laugh while looking at Althea, who suddenly became excited.

And so, from the next day onwards, Althea and Laila joined Regalus's horse riding training. Since Laila had never ridden a horse before, they learned together.

Regalus, on the other hand, couldn't help but feel joy at being able to spend time with his beloved sister during the horse riding training, even if it wasn't sword practice.

You may share your thoughts by commenting down below. Please click the heart icon to support my writing endeavors.

13